26 June 2024
18:00
Frankfurt Arena, Frankfurt

Ukraine vs Belgium
26 June 2024
18:00
Stuttgart Arena, Stuttgart

Belgium:

Goalkeepers: Koen Casteels (Wolfsburg), Thomas Kaminski (Luton), Matz Sels (Nottingham Forest)

Defenders: Timothy Castagne (Fulham), Zeno Debast (Anderlecht), Wout Faes (Leicester), Thomas Meunier (Trabzonspor), Arthur Theate (Rennes), Jan Vertonghen (Anderlecht)

Midfielders: Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Maxim De Cuyper (Club Brugge), Orel Mangala (Lyon), Amadou Onana (Everton), Youri Tielemans (Aston Villa), Leandro Trossard (Arsenal), Arthur Vermeeren (Atlético de Madrid), Aster Vranckx (Wolfsburg), Axel Witsel (Atlético de Madrid)

Forwards: Johan Bakayoko (PSV Eindhoven), Yannick Carrasco (Al-Shabab), Charles De Ketelaere (Atalanta), Jérémy Doku (Manchester City), Romelu Lukaku (Roma), Dodi Lukebakio (Sevilla), Loïs Openda (Leipzig)

Slovakia:

Goalkeepers: Martin Dúbravka (Newcastle), Henrich Ravas (New England), Marek Rodák (Fulham)

Defenders: Vernon De Marco (Hatta), Norbert Gyömbér (Salernitana), Dávid Hancko (Feyenoord), Sebastián Kóša (Spartak Trnava), Adam Obert (Cagliari), Peter Pekarík (Hertha Berlin), Milan Škriniar (Paris), Denis Vavro (Copenhagen)

Midfielders: László Bénes (Hamburg), Matúš Bero (Bochum), Ondrej Duda (Hellas Verona), Patrik Hrošovský (Genk), Juraj Kucka (Slovan Bratislava), Stanislav Lobotka (Napoli), Tomáš Rigo (Ostrava)

Forwards: Róbert Boženík (Boavista), Dávid Ďuriš (Ascoli), Lukáš Haraslín (Sparta Praha), Leo Sauer (Feyenoord), Ivan Schranz (Slavia Praha), David Strelec (Slovan Bratislava), Tomáš Suslov (Verona), Ľubomír Tupta (Slovan Liberec)

Romania:

Goalkeepers: Horațiu Moldovan (Atlético de Madrid), Florin Niță (Gaziantep), Ștefan Târnovanu (FCSB)

Defenders: Nicușor Bancu (Universitatea Craiova), Andrei Burcă (Al-Okhdood), Radu Drăguşin (Tottenham), Vasile Mogoş (CFR Cluj), Ionuț Nedelcearu (Palermo), Bogdan Racovițan (Rakow), Andrei Rațiu (Rayo Vallecano), Adrian Rus (Pafos)

Midfielders: Alexandru Cicâldău (Konyaspor), Ianis Hagi (Alavés), Marius Marin (Pisa), Răzvan Marin (Empoli), Darius Olaru (FCSB), Deian Sorescu (Gaziantep), Nicolae Stanciu (Damac), Adrian Şut (FCSB)

Forwards: Denis Alibec (Muaither), Daniel Bîrligea (CFR Cluj), Florinel Coman (FCSB), Denis Drăguş (Gaziantep), Dennis Man (Parma), Valentin Mihăilă (Parma), George Puşcaş (Bari)

Ukraine:

Goalkeepers: Georgiy Bushchan (Dynamo Kyiv), Andriy Lunin (Real Madrid), Anatoliy Trubin (Benfica)

Defenders: Valeriy Bondar (Shakhtar Donetsk), Yukhym Konoplia (Shakhtar Donetsk), Mykola Matviyenko (Shakhtar Donetsk), Bogdan Mykhaylichenko (Polissya Zhytomyr), Vitaliy Mykolenko (Everton), Oleksandr Svatok (Dnipro-1), Maksym Talovierov (LASK), Oleksandr Tymchyk (Dynamo Kyiv), Illia Zabarnyi (Bournemouth), Oleksandr Zinchenko (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Volodymyr Brazhko (Dynamo Kyiv), Ruslan Malinovskyi (Genoa), Mykola Shaparenko (Dynamo Kyiv), Taras Stepanenko (Shakhtar Donetsk), Georgiy Sudakov (Shakhtar Donetsk), Serhiy Sydorchuk (Westerlo), Viktor Tsygankov (Girona), Andriy Yarmolenko (Dynamo Kyiv), Oleksandr Zubkov (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Forwards: Artem Dovbyk (Girona), Mykhailo Mudryk (Chelsea), Vladyslav Vanat (Dynamo Kyiv), Roman Yaremchuk (Valencia)

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Think Ukraine could be a dark horse of the competition. Have had some good players this season.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Think Ukraine could be a dark horse of the competition. Have had some good players this season.
There's definetly room in this tournament for an 'average' (on the face of it) side to make a deep run.

RoyH1

What's the deal with Courtouis not getting a call up?
I've read that he withdrew himself from consideration some months ago due to his ACL injury and wanting to get back in form. Personally, I don't see how he could be lacking in form after that performance on saturday.
Doesn't he famously not get along very well with some of his Belgium teammates? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that KDB's girlfriend cheated on him with Courtois somewhere. Might just be tabloid gossip.

Real Name

I've read that he withdrew himself from consideration some months ago due to his ACL injury and wanting to get back in form. Personally, I don't see how he could be lacking in form after that performance on saturday.
Doesn't he famously not get along very well with some of his Belgium teammates? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that KDB's girlfriend cheated on him with Courtois somewhere. Might just be tabloid gossip.
Yeah, I read too somewhere he's not exactly a likeable character.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That's indeed a true story but is over a decade ago now - they're not best friends but have some good moments at the national team together since so definitely not the issue right now.

Courtois was butthurt that Lukaku was interim captain in Vertonghen's absence instead of him, and acted like a child because of it during an international break some time ago. Can't recall perfectly but I think he cited (read: faked) an injury, left early and had a row with our new manager Tedesco. Then Tedesco elaborated on the issue in the press which was not done according to Courtois so their beef got even bigger. There was some shade throwing back and forth, Tedesco commented on the issue again a few months later and Courtois reacted on an Instagram post about it with a "Pinocchi lier" emoji.

Then he indeed stated (way too early) that he wouldn't be ready for the Euros this summer (which was bullshit), and made a melodramatic post which was all about him and how he was treated and so on and forth, a total disgrace imo. To see him perform like he did last Saturday on the biggest stage, but him still not wanting to play because of the whole thing with Tedesco, is just nuts. I hope he never plays a game for our national team again, he's an utter wanker with far too big of an ego for his own good.

Our current biggest stars are so unlikeable imo, all three of Courtois, KDB and Lukaku just don't cut it for me. Courtois is a tosser, KDB plays for City and is revered in our national press way too much, doesn't ever get criticism when he plays badly, and Lukaku is quite unlikable as well with some of his past comments. The nice guys like Dembele, Hazard, Mertens are all gone from the national team by now unfortunately.

We'll probably get through our group pretty easily without playing great football, then crash out against the first decent opponent we'll face (I think France in the quarters is a realistic scenario). With an in-form Doku and De Bruyne performing at his best (which won't happen imo) we might surprise, but I highly doubt it. De Bruyne hasn't been good for Belgium since 2018, Lukaku disappears against good opponents, and our defence is even more suspect than it was during our "glory days".

How I want us to play:

Casteels
Castagne Debast Vertonghen De Cuyper
Onana De Bruyne
Trossard Tielemans Doku
Openda
How I think we'll play:

Casteels
Castagne Witsel Vertonghen Theate
Onana Tielemans
Trossard De Bruyne Doku
Lukaku​

El-Manos

That's indeed a true story but is over a decade ago now - they're not best friends but have some good moments at the national team together since so definitely not the issue right now.

Courtois was butthurt that Lukaku was interim captain in Vertonghen's absence instead of him, and acted like a child because of it during an international break some time ago. Can't recall perfectly but I think he cited (read: faked) an injury, left early and had a row with our new manager Tedesco. Then Tedesco elaborated on the issue in the press which was not done according to Courtois so their beef got even bigger. There was some shade throwing back and forth, Tedesco commented on the issue again a few months later and Courtois reacted on an Instagram post about it with a "Pinocchi lier" emoji.

Then he indeed stated (way too early) that he wouldn't be ready for the Euros this summer (which was bullshit), and made a melodramatic post which was all about him and how he was treated and so on and forth, a total disgrace imo. To see him perform like he did last Saturday on the biggest stage, but him still not wanting to play because of the whole thing with Tedesco, is just nuts. I hope he never plays a game for our national team again, he's an utter wanker with far too big of an ego for his own good.

Our current biggest stars are so unlikeable imo, all three of Courtois, KDB and Lukaku just don't cut it for me. Courtois is a tosser, KDB plays for City and is revered in our national press way too much, doesn't ever get criticism when he plays badly, and Lukaku is quite unlikable as well with some of his past comments. The nice guys like Dembele, Hazard, Mertens are all gone from the national team by now unfortunately.

We'll probably get through our group pretty easily without playing great football, then crash out against the first decent opponent we'll face (I think France in the quarters is a realistic scenario). With an in-form Doku and De Bruyne performing at his best (which won't happen imo) we might surprise, but I highly doubt it. De Bruyne hasn't been good for Belgium since 2018, Lukaku disappears against good opponents, and our defence is even more suspect than it was during our "glory days".

How I want us to play:

Casteels
Castagne Debast Vertonghen De Cuyper
Onana De Bruyne
Trossard Tielemans Doku
Openda
How I think we'll play:

Casteels
Castagne Witsel Vertonghen Theate
Onana Tielemans
Trossard De Bruyne Doku
Lukaku​
Hé sums it up very well. Tedesco & courtois had a few disputes and Courtois is now acting like a child. I hope Belgium win it now (unlikely I know) so he’ll regret it for the rest of his life. If you truly love your country, you play no matter what.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Myko is a warrior. Type of player who will push through an injury, hope he doesn't aggravate it too much though as he had a great season and deserves to play in the Euros.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can't remember a international tournament without Ukraine yet I can't remember a single memorable thing they've done.

They're just, well, there.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I can't remember a international tournament without Ukraine yet I can't remember a single memorable thing they've done.

They're just, well, there.
Eh, Ukraine's thing for a long time was losing play-offs, often in games they were favourites for, or bottled from a good position. One world cup since independence (2006 Quarter Final) and lost five times in the play-offs.

They've made the last three Euro tournaments, i guess.