Group E: Republic of Ireland Squad Discussion

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Stoke), Darren Randolph (West Ham), David Forde (Millwall), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday).

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie (Derby), Paul McShane (Reading), Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa), Richard Keogh (Derby), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Alex Pearce (Bristol City), Shane Duffy (Blackburn), Marc Wilson (Stoke), Stephen Ward (Burnley).

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Sheffield Wednesday), James McClean (West Brom), Glenn Whelan (Stoke), James McCarthy (Everton), Jeff Hendrick (Derby), David Meyler (Hull), Stephen Quinn (Reading), Darron Gibson (Everton), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich), Eunan O'Kane (Bournemouth), Anthony Pilkington (Cardiff), Robbie Brady (Norwich), Jonathan Walters (Stoke), Jonathan Hayes (Aberdeen), Callum O'Dowda (Oxford).

Forwards: Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Shane Long (Southampton), David McGoldrick (Ipswich), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), Daryl Murphy (Ipswich)

Friendlies

27/05 19:45 BST: Republic of Ireland v Netherlands
31/05 19:45 BST: Republic of Ireland v Belarus

Group E games

13/06 17:00 BST: Republic of Ireland v Sweden
18/06 14:00 BST: Belgium v Republic of Ireland
22/06 20:00 BST: Italy v Republic of Ireland

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Defend like crazy and hope Shane Long does something.

Guy

Improving on the last Euros should be the goal, but is admittedly a low bar to start from.

We are not the favorites in any of the fixtures. Our best hope is like most of our recent qualifying campaigns - win against fellow minnows, nick something against one of the bigger teams, and the other one then goes on to hammer everyone else so we can slip in second. Knowing Ireland though, we'll lose our first two games and then beat the Italians with nothing to play for.

Do people think Palace's Delaney could make it into the final squad? Only reminded of him since I saw him Saturday and he looked decent enough.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
We are not the favorites in any of the fixtures.
We (Sweden) have a seriously underwhelming side this tournament. We tend to do well as the underdog against the bigger nations but against similar or worse sides we're prone to crumble. Wouldn't surprise me if we draw against Italy and Belgium and get taken apart by the irish.

We meet in the first game so do or die straight away i reckon. :D

Guy

We (Sweden) have a seriously underwhelming side this tournament. We tend to do well as the underdog against the bigger nations but against similar or worse sides we're prone to crumble. Wouldn't surprise me if we draw against Italy and Belgium and get taken apart by the irish.

We meet in the first game so do or die straight away i reckon. :D
I just checked the world rankings and after a dismal last few years, we have improved to the point that we're above Sweden now, so you may be right.

I would say I'd describe Ireland as quite similar, in that even in qualifying they would get a result against Germany but then fail to beat a bad Scotland and struggle by third-tier sides.

If I was pushed, I would say Sweden may still be slight favourites, even if only because in Ibrahimović, Sweden have a in-form flair player capable of nicking a goal from individual brilliance and that often makes the difference between scrappy sides.

I guess we'll see in the opening game. At least it should be exciting, as both sides know a draw won't do for either of them.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I just checked the world rankings and after a dismal last few years, we have improved to the point that we're above Sweden now, so you may be right.

I would say I'd describe Ireland as quite similar, in that even in qualifying they would get a result against Germany but then fail to beat a bad Scotland and struggle by third-tier sides.

If I was pushed, I would say Sweden may still be slight favourites, even if only because in Ibrahimović, Sweden have a in-form flair player capable of nicking a goal from individual brilliance and that often makes the difference between scrappy sides.

I guess we'll see in the opening game. At least it should be exciting, as both sides know a draw won't do for either of them.
One thing is for certain, our fans will have fun getting drunk together before the game :D

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Why the feck am I not going to France? Just realised we'll be out on the piss with all the Swedish women.

DenisIrwin

Anyone know a pub in Bristol that will be showing the RoI v Holland friendly on Friday night (on at the same time as England v Oz)?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Why the feck am I not going to France? Just realised we'll be out on the piss with all the Swedish women.
They'll be all over the pissed-up, sun-burnt, bald/ginger Irish clan even with loads of Italians and French around, no doubt. You've missed out.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
O'Dowda for Oxford is a serious talent. A cut above a lot of players in the bottom 2 divisions in terms of skilfull ability.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Anyone know a pub in Bristol that will be showing the RoI v Holland friendly on Friday night (on at the same time as England v Oz)?
I'm sure a big city like Bristol will have a shit load of Irish pubs, quick google perhaps?

Parry Gallister

They'll be all over the pissed-up, sun-burnt, bald/ginger Irish clan even with loads of Italians and French around, no doubt. You've missed out.
:lol:

TBF there's plenty of ginge in scandinavia. I'm sure this fella will do alright for himself anyway

Jammydodger7

I think we can get ou of the group, I reckon 4 points will be enough, with some 3rd place teams going through, we're more than capable of beating a poor sweden team and I can see us getting a point against Italy or Belgium

PeteManic

Marty is going to be found out at this tournament. He got the excuses in early as soon as the groups were drawn but Ireland are very poor and Marty will set them up to be ultra defensive and hit long balls to nobody. They need 3 points in first game and I don't see it. Best case scenario is 3 draws for me.

Jammydodger7

Marty is going to be found out at this tournament. He got the excuses in early as soon as the groups were drawn but Ireland are very poor and Marty will set them up to be ultra defensive and hit long balls to nobody. They need 3 points in first game and I don't see it. Best case scenario is 3 draws for me.
I see the optimism of United this season has rubbed off on you.

DenisIrwin

Looking at the squad, RoI seem about as competitive in this as Leicester did at the start of the Premier League season.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
I can see us not losing a game but still going out. Three scrappy draws.

gav81

Based on the format change this year, with four out of the six 3rd placed teams going through, I'm backing Ireland to reach the knockout rounds.

On paper it looks a tough ask, but when we see in qualifying games Sweden were walloped 4-1 at home to Austria, Belgium lost to Wales and Ireland pulled off a 1-1 and 1-0 win against Germany, I think why not? Ok I'm hand-picking results to talk up Ireland's hopes but I'm just saying there is a chance.

After that I think it will be largely luck of the draw how far Ireland can go. Then again, if Greece and Denmark can do it...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really only in midfield that O'Neill has to make a few calls, with only one or two of Arter, Quinn, Meyler and Gibson making the cut. The rest pretty much picks itself.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Would we all be happy to just see them giving it a go and not getting embarrassed like last tournament? They've definitely got the right spirit this time and hopefully a bit of luck will fall their way to kickstart them and remove the memory of Poland.