Group E: Republic of Ireland Squad Discussion

Champagne Football

I didn't think we'd get out of the group either...Fair play to the lads even though Italy rested a lot of big names......Duffy and Keogh look more solid than O'Shea and Clark.....McCarthy looked better than normal without Whelan beside him in defensive midfield role.........We badly need a new top class striker to appear out of thin air......The line up had a bit of a youthful look about it with McCarthy, Hendrick, McClean, Coleman, Brady, Duffy all 27 or under

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Delighted for Ireland. But it would be stupid to suggest it wasn't helped by Italy already being through and effectively top of the group.

Hopefully O'Shea smacks the fecking ball into the net with his hand.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I think talking squad-wise that everyone has performed to their ability, bar maybe McCarthy. Most of them are reaching the level we all know they are, they're playing as a team as best they can and all of them (similarly to N Ireland) have played with loads of heart. That's a credit to the players and the management team.

I don't think there'll be any big surprises in the team that'll be picked against France, bar the longshot of Randolph getting dropped after his showboating last night - dunno what was going through his head. Can't imagine Keane liking it.

Keenst

He's been my favourite player for Ireland thus tournament (other than Wes or Brady!!!!) . I'm waiting to see him score a belter.
He really has been very impressive. What an effort that was with his left in the first half. It is quite hard to understand how he is only playing with Derby, and is not even a regular in their side if I've heard right.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Hendrick is brilliant for us. Has the passion and drive in the green, something the likes of Gary Breen and Richard Dunne excelled at when representing us on the pitch.

Brady as well, sheer passion. Good bond in the squad, what more can we ask for? Bar the mistakes in second half of Belgium game, great resilience by us.

Plus the Irish here in France are too notch. That game against Italy, my god I won't cry as much at my wedding, just what a moment for all the fans inside. 20 minutes after FT and still singing away with the team saluting away and equally giving it socks. Magic

WhoDaGOAT

Hendrick has been brilliant for us for quite awhile now. He always performs to a high level in an Ireland shirt. He will be a key player for us moving forward. He badly needs a move to The Premier League though. He needs to test himself at a higher level, after five seasons of Championship football. He possesses the technical ability and composure to play at that level. O'Neill and Keane need to encourage him to look for a move.

Brady will be another mainstay beyond this campaign. He has a very solid season with Norwich, but once again finds himself relegated. He too needs to look for a new club this summer. We need our best players playing at the highest possible level if possible.

McCarthy, while inconsistent in an Ireland shirt, is still only 25 and one of our few genuine Premier League "stars". He still has a big future with Ireland, as was much improved against Italy. He's capable of doing much more with the ball though; there's more in his locker.

The amount of players over the age of 31 is concern for the next qualifying campaign. O'Shea, Keane, Wes, Whelan and Walters are all coming to the end of their international careers. They will be nearly impossible to replace. Worryingly, I don't see a great deal of talent at U21 level. We're very light in the striker department, with Long our only real option for the foreseeable future. Centre back is a concern also. Hopefully Duffy can continue to improve after a fine season with Blackburn. We could really do with convincing Michael Keane to switch allegiances once again. There is long term Ireland career there for him if he is willing to take the plunge. His England hopes look very slim at present. Wilson is a good player. Thankfully he will be back after the tournament.

Great win the other night though. The France game is a bonus now, and a real chance for us to get some revenge. The pressure is on them. Their defence is poor. I think we can cause them real damage from set-pieces. If we can contain Payet, you never know.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hendrick has been brilliant for us for quite awhile now. He always performs to a high level in an Ireland shirt. He will be a key player for us moving forward. He badly needs a move to The Premier League though. He needs to test himself at a higher level, after five seasons of Championship football. He possesses the technical ability and composure to play at that level. O'Neill and Keane need to encourage him to look for a move.

Brady will be another mainstay beyond this campaign. He has a very solid season with Norwich, but once again finds himself relegated. He too needs to look for a new club this summer. We need our best players playing at the highest possible level if possible.

McCarthy, while inconsistent in an Ireland shirt, is still only 25 and one of our few genuine Premier League "stars". He still has a big future with Ireland, as was much improved against Italy. He's capable of doing much more with the ball though; there's more in his locker.

The amount of players over the age of 31 is concern for the next qualifying campaign. O'Shea, Keane, Wes, Whelan and Walters are all coming to the end of their international careers. They will be nearly impossible to replace. Worryingly, I don't see a great deal of talent at U21 level. We're very light in the striker department, with Long our only real option for the foreseeable future. Centre back is a concern also. Hopefully Duffy can continue to improve after a fine season with Blackburn. We could really do with convincing Michael Keane to switch allegiances once again. There is long term Ireland career there for him if he is willing to take the plunge. His England hopes look very slim at present. Wilson is a good player. Thankfully he will be back after the tournament.

Great win the other night though. The France game is a bonus now, and a real chance for us to get some revenge. The pressure is on them. There defence is poor. I think we can cause them real damage from set-pieces. If we can contain Payet, you never know.
Set pieces is where Ireland will most chances of scoring because France don't defend that well.

lem8sh

Hendrick is brilliant for us. Has the passion and drive in the green, something the likes of Gary Breen and Richard Dunne excelled at when representing us on the pitch.

Brady as well, sheer passion. Good bond in the squad, what more can we ask for? Bar the mistakes in second half of Belgium game, great resilience by us.

Plus the Irish here in France are too notch. That game against Italy, my god I won't cry as much at my wedding, just what a moment for all the fans inside. 20 minutes after FT and still singing away with the team saluting away and equally giving it socks. Magic
Am I invited?