Group E: Republic of Ireland Squad Discussion

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Very interesting to note that Pochettino is in the stands with Longs agent, Pat Dolan!!! I'd be absolutely chuffed for Shane if he gets that move. He'd be an excellent back up and foil to Kane, as well as being excellent on the wing for Southampton this season.

Duffy has been brilliant. Been singing his praises for years while we had to watch donkeys like McShane and St.Ledger.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
The change to our style is very evident, compared to Trappatoni's long ball and shit the pants mode when we are in possession. We look very composed on the ball, making triangles and looking for the ball. We still got a long ball now and then, but that is usually when Long makes a run off the shoulder or Walters comes inside, basically it's less frequent. The odd mistake here and there but it hasn't fazed anyone yet.

Our set pieces are very well organised. We are a real handful. Duffy is playing well, and I like Arthur's composure On the ball and terrior style - gives us a bit of bite.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Very interesting to note that Pochettino is in the stands with Longs agent, Pat Dolan!!! I'd be absolutely chuffed for Shane if he gets that move. He'd be an excellent back up and foil to Kane, as well as being excellent on the wing for Southampton this season.

Duffy has been brilliant. Been singing his praises for years while we had to watch donkeys like McShane and St.Ledger.
Pat Dolan, haven't heard his name in a while. Always loved his punditry on Setanta, always gave the Irish players a lot of attention.

I'm kind of split on Long moving to a bigger club, it was the same as when he was being linked to Liverpool in January. I think he is a class player but I don't want him to be just another option off the bench, I'd rather he was playing every week. He has had a great second half of the season and Koeman seems to rate him so if he can stay the main man there it would probably be best. He'll always be second to Kane and shifted wide for Spurs, which he can play but it will never get the best out of him. With Sturridge always injured and Benteke being poor I think Liverpool could have been a good move though and I think he is the type of player Klopp would love. So hard to believe he is 29 as well, should have been leading the line for us a long time ago.

Agree about Duffy too, been wanting to see a lot more of him for some time. Would have been better to have him with more experience in the side if we want him to be playing at the Euros.

Arter is looking decent as well, might be staking a claim for himself. We definitely look more confident on the ball than we did under Trap or even some games under MON. There is nothing wrong with some long balls, in fact they quite effective with Long and Walters up there. The problem under Trap was they were aimless hoofs, and Long wasn't being played. Now though players are actually looking to pick out Long and Walters with the long balls. The confidence to just hold the ball and make a few passes deep also helps the forward immensely giving them the time to make a run and get into space.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Why are you posting in here for a friendly?

Green_Red

Good to see Irwin doing the half time analysis on setanta. Legend!

Green_Red

Why are you posting in here for a friendly?
Its the squad thats playing plus our comments get lost in that England matchday thread disguised as an international matchday thread. About 2% of people in there care about the Ireland game.

Green_Red

Is Long alright then?
Yea hes grand. Duffy down now. But we're looking good enough man. Kenny Cunningham saying this diamond midfield really suits us and we might do alright in Europe with it.

Keane warming up to come on too.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
First mistake and it's 1-1. Poor defending for Hollands leveller, Dudfy probably wrecked after his good shift.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Meh, nothing story really.

Fun fact. I stood on Judger's inhaler in 2nd class and he cried. So did I. It was an accident :(

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So our squad is announced after our game tonight, isn't it?

It probably picks itself but Robbie would be a massive loss, he really would.

So who's going over lads? I'm over for the Belgium game but that's it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Arrrrrgh.

Who's the most likely to get his spot? Eunan O'Kane? Darron Gibson?
I was under the impression that maybe one, more likely two of Arter, Quinn, Meyler and Gibson would be going, depending on how many strikers we take.

Arter isn't officially out yet, O'Neill said he'd be calling him after tonight's game. Keane could be going too, with both able to be replaced at a later point. That might effect who else O'Neill includes though, especially if someone like Gibson is carrying his own fitness doubts.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I was under the impression that maybe one, more likely two of Arter, Quinn, Meyler and Gibson would be going, depending on how many strikers we take.

Arter isn't officially out yet, O'Neill said he'd be calling him after tonight's game. Keane could be going too, with both able to be replaced at a later point. That might effect who else O'Neill includes though, especially if someone like Gibson is carrying his own fitness doubts.
Actually, that's something I've been wondering since the England squad was announced. How do the injury replacements work? Like, if you've included an injured player in your squad, do you still have the right to replace them and how long does it take to do?

Any ideas anyone?