Group F (Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea)

DancingPanda

Our Swedish side looks very good tbh. We are so well-organised, and seems to have a very good mentality within the squad. I wouldn't be surprised if we performed very good in the WC. Too bad we will probably play against Brazil in the round of 16.

We are like the opposite of Manchester United atm, there seems to be a plan every time we have the ball (I believe in Mourinho btw, just saying)

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Our Swedish side looks very good tbh. We are so well-organised, and seems to have a very good mentality within the squad. I wouldn't be surprised if we performed very good in the WC. Too bad we will probably play against Brazil in the round of 16.

We are like the opposite of Manchester United atm, there seems to be a plan every time we have the ball (I believe in Mourinho btw, just saying)
I think you have a very good chance. Germany second game is against you so you are bound to get points. On a sidenote, do you think you are a better team without Zlatan? As crazy as this sounds, I seem to think so.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't get that people are unhappy with Germany winning the group no. It shows lack of understanding to me to find it unacceptable how they do it sometimes and like I've said, performance in group stages, particulary game 3 when you've already qualified, doesn't predict the performance in the knockouts. It's a different beast.
Well, there's unhappy and there's actually devastated. Are we glad when Germany gets out of group as #2? Yeah sure, they're in the knockout stages, good job. But they could have been #1. But that's just a little disappointement compared to Germany not getting out of group stages at all, like in the Euro a few times back. That was devastation!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Löw exclusively presenting his squad choices in a presser right now. Only that 3/4 omissions were leaked to the press half an hour ago :lol:

SANE sent packing

Leno (vs Trapp), Tah (vs Ginter) and Petersen (vs Gomez) were leaked in advance

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Well, there's unhappy and there's actually devastated. Are we glad when Germany gets out of group as #2? Yeah sure, they're in the knockout stages, good job. But they could have been #1. But that's just a little disappointement compared to Germany not getting out of group stages at all, like in the Euro a few times back. That was devastation!
If Germany actually finish second in the group for this upcoming World Cup which is actually a possibilty, it would be a disaster as Germany would most certainly meet Brazil in the next round. Based on current form plus the revenge factor, Brazil would murder Germany.

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
Sane never impressed in the NT and with Brandt, Draxler and Reus the competition was just fierce. Not really a shocker, but I am glad that Löw will probably go with Brandt as the winger on the right. He's incredible.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Sane was every Time awful for the DFB Team.

debiler

I'm not unhappy that Sané got booted, to be honest. He just seems to conflict with Jogi's system and never managed to impress me when he's played for us. Brandt might just be a tiny bit better in 1-1 situations, so that could have tipped the scale in his favor.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Sane was every Time awful for the DFB Team.
He played pretty well against England in some of those friendlies, but yeah, generally he was quite shit. Still a huge surprise to me as it's not the worst impact option from the bench.

ArjenIsM3

The reason Sane's been left at home is probably because Germany aren't going to use real wingers. Looking at their squad only two players could be classified as wingers (Reus and Draxler) and I personally don't even view Draxler as a pure winger.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The reason Sane's been left at home is probably because Germany aren't going to use real wingers. Looking at their squad only two players could be classified as wingers (Reus and Draxler) and I personally don't even view Draxler as a pure winger.
Reus couldn't be further from a classical winger. The half spaces are his natural habitat.

I don't think anyone expected Sane to play a lot in Russia, Löw not even seeing him as an impact sub is the shocking element.

Emacii

And even Reus is more of a cam nowadays but i think Löw will play him on the wing. I see Sane underperformed in a couple of games for the nationalteam but he is such a great option from the bench. So it comes to Brandt/Reus/Müller/Draxler on the wings. Trapp over Leno seems to be ridiculous, maybe Löw wants to avoid his transfertalks. Also would have taken Tah instead of Ginter

AngliaRed

I’m suprised Sane was omitted. Even as a impact player he’s worth having. Germany may not play using wingers but as substitute he surely deserves his place from his club form alone.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Didn't realise Reus was in the squad. Will he be a regular? Probably the one player I genuinely wish has an amazing tournament.

Tillo

Sane might just be one of these characters that rub Löw the wrong way. Without knowing him to well, I could imagine him having that extra bit cockiness (tattoo *cough*) that isn't appreciated if not backed up by hard work.

izec

Petersen and Tah were expected.

Leno is a small surprise, i thought Trapp would be the one going with not much games at PSG

Sane is the big surprise, even if he is underwhelming for Germany.

Treble

Is Sane really that dependent on Guardiola's system? Or Low doesn't know how to get the best out of him? Anyway, Sane's been poor for Germany and his omission isn't such a big shock really.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern), Marc-André ter Stegen (FC Barcelona), Kevin Trapp (Paris St. Germain)

Defender: Jerome Boateng (FC Bayern), Matthias Ginter (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Jonas Hector (1. FC Köln), Mats Hummels (FC Bayern), Joshua Kimmich (FC Bayern), Marvin Plattenhardt (Hertha BSC), Antonio Rüdiger (FC Chelsea), Niklas Süle (FC Bayern)

Midfielder: Leon Goretzka (Schalke 04), Ilkay Gündogan (Manchester City), Sami Khedira (Juventus Turin), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Sebastian Rudy (FC Bayern),

OMs/Winger: Julian Brandt (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Paris St. Germain), Mesut Özil (FC Arsenal), Thomas Müller (FC Bayern), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund)

Forwards: Mario Gomez (VfB Stuttgart), Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)

I dont really care about the third keeper. Plattenhardt as LB backup and Ginter as utility player, who can help out as RB, are okay. Rudy and Goretzka are both fortunate that there are not many quality midfielders. I hope both don't get many minutes. Özil has been mediocre for a long time, but sadly he is a nailed on starter. I also don't get the love for Draxler. Imo he is terribly overrated and shouldn't play a prominent role. Brandt is a good impact player. Gomez with loyalty bonus. I would have prefered to have Sane in the squad as the Schürrle2.0.
Imo the team doesn't have the individual quality, that it had in the past. Hopefully Müller and Reus are in good form.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sane didn't look the player he is at City for Germany. He will have to adapt his style if he wants to become a regular starter and become better in tight spaces, improve his passing etc. A player like Brandt with his amazing first touch and close control probably fits better to Löw's approach, especially when he sees them on the training ground.

Also he seemed fairly nervous for Germany.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Does Brandt play better for Germany than Sane?

Last edited:

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
Does Brandt player better for Germany than Sane?
Sane was probably the worst German player in the friendlies. Brandt is also way more versatile, he can basically play everywhere in the offense. And Brandt as a person seems to fit in better with the mentality of the NT. I hope Brandt can start. In my opinion (as I mentioned before somewhere in these forums) Brandt has the potential to be the player of the tournament. I wonder which big team will sign him in the future.

btw Sane did not attend the Confed Cup to get an operation on his nose. May be Löw didn't like that very much. But not having Sane is a comprehensible decision.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Low's comments about Drankler, Reus and Mueller being set sound strange to me. What's their form like for Germany? Sounds like he's decided his team regardless of form, but how they've performed for him before.

pascell

Didn't realise Reus was in the squad. Will he be a regular? Probably the one player I genuinely wish has an amazing tournament.
This, missed out on the last WC win for Germany so hope he has a good tournament too, classy player when fit.

Shows the strength in depth Germany have when Leno, Tah and Sane are omitted from their squad.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
If Germany actually finish second in the group for this upcoming World Cup which is actually a possibilty, it would be a disaster as Germany would most certainly meet Brazil in the next round. Based on current form plus the revenge factor, Brazil would murder Germany.
Brazil would have a good chance, but murder is a bit much. Their midfield is not a patch on ours and our defence is as good as anyone's personnel wise if Boateng is fit. Plus Neuer can save any team if he is on form, don't think he will be though.

I would like that to happen actually, don't want to face Spain in the semis.

Deawin

The coach made the right call by not taking Ibra ?

The coach didn't have to make any choice. Ibra retired from the National team prior the Belgium game in the Euros 2016, if I hadn't he would have been in the team.

I see Sweden ending up last in the grp.

Luke1995

The coach didn't have to make any choice. Ibra retired from the National team prior the Belgium game in the Euros 2016, if I hadn't he would have been in the team.

I see Sweden ending up last in the grp.
Then why Ibra was making all these posts hinting at going to the WC ?

Deawin

Then why Ibra was making all these posts hinting at going to the WC ?

Cause of the massive amount of press he got doing so, and by that strengthening his own trademark. It was a huge PR success for him.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Jogi... you better win that WC again.
I think the questionable striker (I don't rate Werner as much as many) situation and god knows what is going on at the fullbacks will make far more of a difference than whether or not the 3rd choice left winger was included in the squad.

Henry Gaervell

Wide open group in terms of who gets the 2nd spot, with all three teams having some pedigree in making the knockouts.

I'm struggling to pick 2nd place to be honest. Mexico seem to be weak in a few positions, while sweeten potential lack 'grit and experience across the team. I'm going to go for Korea due to their general hard working ability and the star man in Son from Spurs who can make a real difference. The other factor is that Korea play Germany last who should have qualified by then (or need a draw), giving them the best chance of points against the group favourites

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
I think the questionable striker (I don't rate Werner as much as many) situation and god knows what is going on at the fullbacks will make far more of a difference than whether or not the 3rd choice left winger was included in the squad.
what's going on with the fullbacks? Did i miss something?