Film Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

fallengt

How do you know?

Pretty sure in 2012 or 2013 before he directed Guardians of the Galaxy 1, he apologised for all the poor taste tweets he had made in the past. Think that covered them all, doubt anyone expects him to apologise for individual tweets.
It was not from his twitter. He apologized for some sexist jokes that he made toward fictional super heroines on his personal blog/website.

stevoc

It was not from his twitter. He apologized for some sexist jokes that he made toward fictional super heroines on his personal blog/website.
Ok blog/twitter he apologized for jokes he made in the past that were in poor taste and/or offensive and said he had moved on as a person, which he seemed to have done.

I don't think any reasonable people expected him to issue separate apologies for jokes on every one of his social media platforms. It seemed like everyone at the time including Disney (who decided to hire him) accepted his explanation and apology for the offensive stuff he had posted publicly.

beedoubleyou

This is daft, they never should have fired him. Not sure what Disney are thinking by allowing themselves to get pushed around like this. Slippery slope.

fallengt

I don't know what to think but fair play to GotG's cast members.
We live in an era where social network is the judge, jury and executioner. Signing that would potentially be carrier suicide for them.

Last edited:

stevoc

Highly doubt any of this will make Disney re-hire Gunn but i think the reaction might make Disney and other companies take a pause to assess these situations in future and not be so trigger happy to fire someone the next time some saddo goes on a social media witch hunt.

This is daft, they never should have fired him. Not sure what Disney are thinking by allowing themselves to get pushed around like this. Slippery slope.
It definitely is a slippery slope, Disney can cope fine without Gunn but firing him will only embolden the keyboard warriors to pour over other peoples history and dig up a few skeletons. Disney have set the precedent and will have to fire others too for nonsense like this, do it with enough people and it will start affecting business.

fellaini's barber

I don't know what to think but fair play to GotG's cast members.
We live in an era where social network is the judge, jury and executioner. Signing that would potentially be carrier suicide for them.
How, Disney would fire them all? The cnuts at the end of the day won't do anything that would costs them money, they probably reasoned that firing Gunn won't affect them much hence the decision. You think they would fire Iron Man or Cap if they dug up those exact same tweets on him? They'd probably apologise on their behalf, the pretentious cnuts

beedoubleyou

How, Disney would fire them all? The cnuts at the end of the day won't do anything that would costs them money, they probably reasoned that firing Gunn won't affect them much hence the decision. You think they would fire Iron Man or Cap if they dug up those exact same tweets on him? They'd probably apologise on their behalf, the pretentious cnuts
I'm fairly certain that Robert Downey Jr has already done far worse than make some tasteless jokes on Twitter. Then again, so has the current POTUS who is, as far as I can tell, one of the most transparently ugliest souls there is.

fallengt

Ofc Disney can't fire them over this but they own 40-50% of the market, they just need to blacklist these actors which basically the same as killing half of their carrier.
Pratt, Saldana, Gillian probably would be fine regardless, the rest of them not so much.

InfiniteBoredom

Ofc Disney can't fire them over this but they own 40-50% of the market, they just need to blacklist these actors. Pratt, Saldana, probably would be fine regardless, the rest of them not so much.
Vin Diesel main franchise is with Universal, Bradley Cooper is a huge name in the industry.

They are all fine. Disney won't touch any of them.

fallengt

Vin Diesel main franchise is with Universal, Bradley Cooper is a huge name in the industry.

They are all fine. Disney won't touch any of them.
Vin only has Fast & Furious franchise. Bradley is A-lister but he's rarely in any blockbuster, compare that to Chris Pratt who is now a money magnet.

Of course Disney can't do anything to anyone who doesn't breach the contract. The point being Pedophile is like Kryptonite to Disney, they never ever want to get involved with anyone associate with that "word", directly or indirectly.

fellaini's barber

Ofc Disney can't fire them over this but they own 40-50% of the market, they just need to blacklist these actors which basically the same as killing half of their carrier.
Pratt, Saldana, Gillian probably would be fine regardless, the rest of them not so much.
Why would they blacklist someone they haven't fired? One thing I'm sure of if if firing anyone is going to cost more to Disney than keeping the person, Disney will 100% look the other way

fallengt

Why would they blacklist someone they haven't fired?
Why are you being nitpicky. Blacklisting, firing, banning,etc...whatever. Point is Disney just need to stop working with these actors in their future projects.

Disney has 35% market share in 2018, and getting closer to purchase Fox who has 10%, which mean they're gonna own 45% of the market. Actors'd still be fine with other studios but it's not a good idea to upset the mouse (or twitter mobs)

fellaini's barber

Why are you being nitpicky. Blacklisting, firing, banning,etc...whatever. Point is Disney just need to stop working with these actors in their future projects.

Disney has 35% market share in 2018, and getting closer to purchase Fox who has 10%, which mean they're gonna own 45% of the market. Actors'd still be fine with other studios but it's not a good idea to upset the mouse (or twitter mobs)
I'm sure they'll all be fine, including Gunn even if he doesn't work for them

fellaini's barber

Bautista just took a shot at Disney again. Seems this is the end of Drax:(. Idiots really fecked up on this one

Andersons Dietician

His tweet
Thanks and damn, Big Dave came out swinging, Mickey surely got a bruise or two from that. Can’t see Disney backing down tho, they would just look stupid and as Dave said he is contractually obligated to them.

Cloud7

Bautista just took a shot at Disney again. Seems this is the end of Drax:(. Idiots really fecked up on this one
It’s good on him to actually stand up for what he believes in here, rather than toeing the company line. It’s not hard to imagine Disney wanting to scrap the whole thing, though with infinity war including these characters already, it would be hard I imagine.

Oldyella

It’s good on him to actually stand up for what he believes in here, rather than toeing the company line. It’s not hard to imagine Disney wanting to scrap the whole thing, though with infinity war including these characters already, it would be hard I imagine.
Especially when he is relatively new to acting and his biggest role to date. He wants them to use Gunn's script by all accounts.

Rooney1987

Especially when he is relatively new to acting and his biggest role to date. He wants them to use Gunn's script by all accounts.
He probably has the most to lose as well. Chris Pratt and the rest all have big movies outside of GOTG.

GBBQ

He is saying he will fulfill the terms of his contract so if that is just GOTG 3 then they can decide to kill him off or recast him from there on in. There's been recastings already in the MCU though Terence Howard / Don Cheadle is the only one on the same scale of importance.

Also I have a degree of sympathy for Disney here, specifically with the reaction to Sarah Jeong's racist comments. In that situation you make a decision to either fire or stand by your employee. Either decision will create a reaction.

fellaini's barber

He is saying he will fulfill the terms of his contract so if that is just GOTG 3 then they can decide to kill him off or recast him from there on in. There's been recastings already in the MCU though Terence Howard / Don Cheadle is the only one on the same scale of importance.

Also I have a degree of sympathy for Disney here, specifically with the reaction to Sarah Jeong's racist comments. In that situation you make a decision to either fire or stand by your employee. Either decision will create a reaction.
No way not firing Gunn for 10 year old tweets dug up by scummy individuals would have created such a ruckus. Most people would have probably not heard about it.

GBBQ

No way not firing Gunn for 10 year old tweets dug up by scummy individuals would have created such a ruckus. Most people would have probably not heard about it.
I'd disagree, especially considering they are a group that make content specifically aimed at children. It had received a lot of attention even before they fired him and failing to take action would have riled up a lot of conservatives

InfiniteBoredom

Which is why I think there is more to Gunn's firing than meets the eye.

I'd disagree, especially considering they are a group that make content specifically aimed at children. It had received a lot of attention even before they fired him and failing to take action would have riled up a lot of conservatives
Conservatives aren't the group consuming the 'godless Hollywood products' Disney makes nowadays. Jeopardising a guaranteed 700m+ flick over some tweets while they employed and continue to employ the likes of Depp, RDJ doesn't really make sense.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He probably has the most to lose as well. Chris Pratt and the rest all have big movies outside of GOTG.
I think Big Dave is pretty much financially set from wrestling and can always go back to it for even more cash because WWE wouldn't say no to a big Marvel star.

It's still admirable to tell Disney to feck off though.

fellaini's barber

And what has a bunch of riled up people on twitter ever done to anybody? What are they going to do, stay riled up till whenever the next movie comes out?

GBBQ

Conservatives aren't the group consuming the 'godless Hollywood products' Disney makes nowadays. Jeopardising a guaranteed 700m+ flick over some tweets while they employed and continue to employ the likes of Depp, RDJ doesn't really make sense.
They'll be guaranteed 700 mil+ regardless of whether or not Gunn is involved. They were forced to react to a breaking story and fired him. There will be any amount of directors who want to get their hands on one of the quirkiest Superhero properties out there and the MCU is such a big draw that so long as its competent they'll be rolling in the dough again.

GBBQ

And what has a bunch of riled up people on twitter ever done to anybody? What are they going to do, stay riled up till whenever the next movie comes out?
Disney don't want the bad press and to be continuously asked about the jokes on the press tour etc and had to be decisive. Obviously there's concerns of boycotts etc as well and the impact to share price that could result in it.

And don't get me wrong, I stated in a thread in Current Affairs forum that Disney should have backed him and used it as a public learning experience because its a slippery slope. But to think that its 100% ok for an employee of Disney to have such jokes published online with no repercussions is naive at best.

InfiniteBoredom

They'll be guaranteed 700 mil+ regardless of whether or not Gunn is involved. They were forced to react to a breaking story and fired him. There will be any amount of directors who want to get their hands on one of the quirkiest Superhero properties out there and the MCU is such a big draw that so long as its competent they'll be rolling in the dough again.
The whole cast is in open defiance over his firing. Push come to shove half of them leave the project and it's dead in the water. Vin Diesel has the Fast franchise, Zoe Saldana has 4 Avatar sequels coming out, Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper can always find some mediocre rom com to star in. When even someone with as little clout as Bautista is basically on strike, it just show how stupid their response was.

Not that I in any way, shape or form condone Gunn's tweets, but assuming that he has no history of child abuse, is repentant and willing to apologise/make up for his previous comments, it is hypocritical to fire him while employing woman basher Depp or previous serial substance abuser RDJ.

cyberman

The whole cast is in open defiance over his firing. Push come to shove half of them leave the project and it's dead in the water. Vin Diesel has the Fast franchise, Zoe Saldana has 4 Avatar sequels coming out, Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper can always find some mediocre rom com to star in. When even someone with as little clout as Bautista is basically on strike, it just show how stupid their response was.

Not that I in any way, shape or form condone Gunn's tweets, but assuming that he has no history of child abuse, is repentant and willing to apologise/make up for his previous comments, it is hypocritical to fire him while employing woman basher Depp or previous serial substance abuser RDJ.
They couldn't pick a worse time though. Aren't they all technically dead in the MCU at the minute?
I'm sure they could get voice actors for Rocket and Groot alone and make a killing off of that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They couldn't pick a worse time though. Aren't they all technically dead in the MCU at the minute?
I'm sure they could get voice actors for Rocket and Groot alone and make a killing off of that.
Difficult to nullify this point without spoilers but let's say Infinity war has no basis on Guardians 3. That film is full steam ahead and would be the most anticipated Marvel flick after Infinity War 2.

kps88

The whole cast is in open defiance over his firing. Push come to shove half of them leave the project and it's dead in the water.
That's a tad dramatic. Batista's the only one who has even hinted at leaving and he said that's only if Disney don't end up using Gunn's script. If Marvel do end up going ahead with GOTG 3, I think it's pretty likely Gunn will get a story credit anyway like what happened with Edgar Wright after he left Ant Man. Stars like Pratt or Cooper are not going to break a contract with Disney.

The cast are all contractually obligated to stay on. They certainly won't be the first actors tied down to a franchise they wish they could leave.

InfiniteBoredom

That's a tad dramatic. Batista's the only one who has even hinted at leaving and he said that's only if Disney don't end up using Gunn's script. If Marvel do end up going ahead with GOTG 3, I think it's pretty likely Gunn will get a story credit anyway like what happened with Edgar Wright after he left Ant Man. Stars like Pratt or Cooper are not going to break a contract with Disney.

The cast are all contractually obligated to stay on. They certainly won't be the first actors tied down to a franchise they wish they could leave.
'Push comes to shove'.

I don't think they will either, since it will hurt their professional career a lot burning all bridges with Disney, but even a phoning it in Clooney's Batman esque performance from them can basically kill any ambition Disney have to Guardian 4 for instance in the crib. All potential problems that could have been avoided had they not caved into the doxxing led by a certified troll in Mike Cernovich.

GBBQ

I doubt any will leave, even Batista who is most vocal has said he will fulfill his contractual requirements. Even if they do leave Disney can either recast or just stop making GOTG movies and focus on their other franchises.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The comments from Gunn were pretty stupid to be fair. Might be 10 years old but hard to defend as they're just plain offensive rather than funny offensive, in which case you could argue they would have been more acceptable at the time.

Do think firing him wasn't necessary though, especially given the political angle to it. Now you have the double edged sword of it not really being something you HAVE to fire someone for, and it being brought about due to his political opinions rather than because people were actually outraged by it.

It's also all well and good saying they kill off characters all the time, but Drax is the best character in GOTG and still has plenty of mileage. Bautista walking out would be a bigger blow in itself than what it was worth to make a point about some unfunny tweets.

kps88

'Push comes to shove'.

I don't think they will either, since it will hurt their professional career a lot burning all bridges with Disney, but even a phoning it in Clooney's Batman esque performance from them can basically kill any ambition Disney have to Guardian 4 for instance in the crib. All potential problems that could have been avoided had they not caved into the doxxing led by a certified troll in Mike Cernovich.
I dunno, push comes to shove I bet they all suck it up and do the movie, Bautista included. Marvel and Gunn both made it clear this was going to be a trilogy, so no question of a part four. That probably made the decision a whole lot easier.

decorativeed

Had anyone at Disney seen any of the stuff Gunn did before though? Not one bit of it seems to fit with their family-friendly image, but it didn't prevent him getting the job.