Guardiola vs Klopp

Who is the better manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Varun

Staff
Guardiola can create a team like no other if you have the spending power to give him whatever he wants. No one else comes close to creating a team with the top level as he can.

Klopp is better for other clubs who don't have such crazy resources because he's much better at getting the best out of what he wants.

Mcking

Depends what you're starting with.

Guardiola has proven incapable of success without anything other than the perfect setup, but when he does have that he is unbeatable. The levels he achieves are almost unheard of in football.

Klopp has built two teams from a fairly low bar now. He might not be able to get that last 1 or 2% of performance like Pep can but it still makes him a better manager for me.
When did that happen?

Hawks2008

They're both excellent, and it's so depressing to see two of our biggest rivals have coaches of such quality when we have had continuous mediocrity under 3 different managers in the time they've been at their clubs.

But yeah, Pep is better.

Steve Bruce

If klopp can add major trophies on a consistent basis then I can see the argument for klopp but one swallow does not make the summer.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
There is no logical reason to say I hate:
  • Pep
  • KDB
  • Hazard
  • Henderson
  • Carragher (#1)
  • Spinach
All of above are great (apart from Carra) and have my respect. I DO hate them nonetheless.
A little hate can go a long way in defining my insignificant existence to myself.

I cannot hate Klopp... I try... But he's so damn cool...

francobaresi

If, in some parallel universe, both were available, and both desperately wanted the United job, as we are now, who would you want?

Has to be Klopp for me

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Who cares? You can give a bus driver a F1 car, doesn't mean he's going to drive it as well as Lewis Hamilton.
Such flawed logic in a debate like this. Put Hamilton at Ferrari and Leclerc or Vettel at Mercedes and see how both fare, that would be a way more apt comparison.

El Zoido

If they swapped jobs, Klopp would win the league with City. Pep would not win the CL if he was in charge of this Liverpool team, and I couldn’t see him getting nearly as close in the league as Klopp did either.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
If, in some parallel universe, both were available, and both desperately wanted the United job, as we are now, who would you want?

Has to be Klopp for me
I wouldn't want Klopp if my club was PSG or City though. I don't think his impact would be as great as he is for traditional clubs like Liverpool, Dortmund or also United for what it's worth. Although I feel he is underrated as a tactician his coaching philosophy is also alot about tradition and emotion.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If you want to assemble the best team in history then it's Pep. He's proven to be the best in working with the best and that's usually what you want at the absolute top clubs.

If you want a team to punch over their weight or build something from scratch without huge financial backing then it's Klopp based on what both have done.

Then again we never saw Pep coach a mediocre team. We simply don't know what he can do with one. He actually did average players look really great simply by following his orders. And many of his great players are only perceived as such since they improved immensely under him. Chances are that Pep could also form a great team without spending that much.

Personally, I'd always choose Pep although I'm a great Klopp admirer since day one. But how Guardiola completely transforms the way a team plays is something unique.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Ask me again after next season. The thing about Pep is incredible consistency at a very high level (see e.g. the ridiculous winning streaks in the last two seasons).
It will be interesting to see whether both Pep/City and Klopp/Pool can keep going at this level, and ultimately who can keep up this kind of performances longer takes the crown for me.
In this regard, Pep clearly has a head start.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Klopp developed very good since he leaved germany. Dortmund and Liverpool (in the beginning) lacked to play good possession play, especially in deeper zones. His teams did not have a good build up. It was all about pressing and fast attacking. The balance was not good. It´s great to see, how he improved on that. I think Klopp and Pep are pretty much on the same level since Klopps evolution.

When did that happen?
City first season.

Bayern to a lesser extent.

He needs the perfect players for his style in every position. He can't adapt otherwise. That's fine if you have an unlimited budget or start off with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, but that's not us.

Bestietom

Klopp is better. Pep needs a club with plenty to spend. Klopp can manage on a low budget.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Its simple
Pep if you have unlimited funds
Klopp if you have a budget

Dunkelheit

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Some random stories and facts about Klopp and his teams:

- When sponsors were running away from Borussia Dortmund, he personally called them and asked them to stay, even though he had nothing to do with it and it wasn't his department
- Klopp is also about fairness.... BVB under Klopp was one of the fairest teams every year
- Klopp does not want players to dive or fake injuries after a contact - he wants to win fair and square or not at all
- Klopp is not interested in titles or money, this is why he wanted to coach for BVB and this is why he chose Liverpool as his next team. He is about tradition and soccer. If the god of soccer exists, Klopp might be his avatar
- When he had surgery to implant new hair, everyone would have hidden that from the press... not Klopp, he joked about it openly, making fun of himself
- Klopp would drop soccer and coaching in one second, if his family asked for it.
- look how respectful he is with the opposing teams... after the game, he will shake hands with every one. He once said that respect is more important than winning

If I had to chose between Klopp and Pep? It would be Klopp every day of the year.... you meant going out for a beer, did you? Because I believe that Klopp is amazing fun to have him around.

In soccer it is obvious... Pep is better regarding strategy and Klopp is a better motivator. This is why Klopp won the CL and Pep the PL.

Mcking

City first season.

Bayern to a lesser extent.

He needs the perfect players for his style in every position. He can't adapt otherwise. That's fine if you have an unlimited budget or start off with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, but that's not us.
He did well in his 'first' season at City, finishing 3rd on 78 points, a 12-points improvement from the previous season. At Bayern, he was dominant and reached three consecutive UCL semi-finals. So the notion that Pep is incapable of success without the perfect setup is a complete myth that is not actually based on anything. He has not proven incapable of anything, and because he has not managed the likes of Newcastle and Napoli does not mean that he won't be successful with them.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I have seen many people say this, but where does it originate from?
Pep himself saying that he needs his players to be a of certain standard to pull of the style of game he wants them to play, I think. And those players generally tend to cost a lot of money.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I choose Klopp because he builds succesfull teams while having the odds against him. In that sense I think he would be more succesfull in most teams than Guardiola. Guardiola is master of the creating the best of the best though when he gets everything he wants. I'd say that Klopp beat him this year though. 97 points and a CL. Guardiola has no good excuse for not beating spurs.

Mcking

Pep himself saying that he needs his players to be a of certain standard to pull of the style of game he wants them to play, I think. And those players generally tend to cost a lot of money.
Ok. A link or quotes would be nice though.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Neither is above Mourinho all-time. Jesus wept. I swear people on this forum have amnesia.

Mcking

If they swapped jobs, Klopp would win the league with City. Pep would not win the CL if he was in charge of this Liverpool team, and I couldn’t see him getting nearly as close in the league as Klopp did either.
What do you base that on?

Gehrman

What do you base that on?
Pep has never been tested in making a mediocre club the best in world or the league while working on a budget. Doesn't mean he couldn't do it though, but I think he will keep walking into the easiest jobs for the rest of his career.

Mcking

Pep has never been tested in making a mediocre club the best in world or the league while working on a budget. Doesn't mean he couldn't do it though, but I think he will keep walking into the easiest jobs for the rest of his career.
No, he will keep getting the best jobs because he is the best in the business.

cyberman

Have a look at at former and present managers of his clubs and tell us they only go for the best..
As if Klopp couldnt walk into any top job in football outside of England.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The CL that Klopp just won was his first trophy in seven years. I felt towards the end of his Dortmund tenure and the start of his career at Liverpool that he lost a bit of his magic but he's proved me wrong this season. He's built a great team at Liverpool. Pains me to say it.

Overall though I still think Pep is a superior manager but Klopp's achievements are probably more impressive because he's done it with lesser budgets and at clubs that were not at the top of their respective leagues. Every team Pep's managed were either the number one club in that country already or a club that has unlimited funds and was built for years for him to come in and manage.

Mcking

Have a look at at former and present managers of his clubs and tell us they only go for the best..
As if Klopp couldnt walk into any top job in football outside of England.
Pep cannot be managing two clubs at the same time. I'm convinced that Barcelona wouldn't pick Valverde over Pep if they could have him, and it is not like Klopp is managing Wolves or Watford.

parkthebuslads

Has Pep won a trophy whilst not having the strongest team/squad in the competition? (Genuine question, I don't follow Spanish football).

Edit: Major trophy

Last edited:

Gehrman

I dont disagree but he hasnt been tested like klopp has or mourinho at porto and Inter. Klopp could also have almost any job he wants, but he likes the challenge.

Bole Top

I'm not one of those that doubt and downplay Pep's achievements because his only CL trophies came while he was managing that Barca team, but facts are facts - he never came close to winning the CL after he left them while both Klopp and Mou dragged different clubs to CL finals (and won). I'm actually starting to think that unless Pep wins it with City or with PSG later, perhaps he never will again. I mean, there's really not many clubs left he could go to now and it's not like he's going to manage clubs that can't give him fully financial backing. and even if he did go to such clubs, I still wouldn't trust him to win the CL. I could see Klopp going to one of Milan clubs, Madrid or Bayern and win another CL in 5 or 6 years. I just don't think Pep is capable of that. whether that makes Klopp better I don't know, but it's obviously a major factor in this debate.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think Pep can achieve the highest level if given the right players out of anyone. Klopp can turn underdogs into contenders. Whether Pep can do that, I don't know, he's never tried, and why the feck would he.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool
He did well in his 'first' season at City, finishing 3rd on 78 points, a 12-points improvement from the previous season. At Bayern, he was dominant and reached three consecutive UCL semi-finals. So the notion that Pep is incapable of success without the perfect setup is a complete myth that is not actually based on anything. He has not proven incapable of anything, and because he has not managed the likes of Newcastle and Napoli does not mean that he won't be successful with them.
Depends on how you define 'success'. He inherited an almost-world-class squad (probably with the exception of full-backs) which had already won the league with Pellegrini a couple of seasons before (without the likes of De Bruyne), and he finished third, got knocked out against Monaco and won zero trophies with that team.

Guardiola's first PL season just shows he can not guarantee success without having a fully world-class squad.

Mcking

I dont disagree but he hasnt been tested like klopp has or mourinho at porto and Inter. Klopp could also have almost any job he wants, but he likes the challenge.
Managing City is also a challenge, and Pep aspires towards perfection. He is winning trophies, breaking and setting numerous records that has never been achieved before. That in itself also deserves commendation, just as the likes of Poch and Klopp do.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think Pep can achieve the highest level if given the right players out of anyone. Klopp can turn underdogs into contenders. Whether Pep can do that, I don't know, he's never tried, and why the feck would he.
Off the top of my head, to establish himself as the undisputed GOAT or to challenge himself for a change.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Managing City is also a challenge, and Pep aspires towards perfection. He is winning trophies, breaking and setting numerous records that has never been achieved before. That in itself also deserves commendation, just as the likes of Poch and Klopp do.
Which he could only do by spending shitloads most of his back 4 cost 50 mil each. He came in to the best squad in the league and finished 3rd. When you spend as hes done of course you are gonna break records.