Guillermo Varela

Acole9

Outstanding
To think that some people thought he would compete with Rafael for the right back spot, he didn't even make a first team appearance for us. I know he had some personal problems last year and had to go back home, perhaps he just couldn't adapt to life in England.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
To think that some people thought he would compete with Rafael for the right back spot, he didn't even make a first team appearance for us. I know he had some personal problems last year and had to go back home, perhaps he just couldn't adapt to life in England.
Him not making an appearance doesn't mean he wasn't capable.

Personal problem in Uruguay: His parents getting into a potentially fatal car accident.

m1y2

very sad if true, looked like more technical and mature version of Rafael.. hopefully we will not turn our sights to Danny Alves after some latest acquisition..

Loublaze

ATLien
We sent him on loan because Real Madrid wanted him. He was effectively a sweetener for the Di Maria deal. Bad business by United IMO. Varela would've done more for us than Rafael this season. This loan is just an audition and he's doing very well so far. He's as good as gone.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He never played a single game for us, how could we know he was the real deal? The youth team is completely different to the senior team. I don't see the fuss.

Loublaze

ATLien
Pisses me off that we depend on a winger cum rwb and a RB who's always injured when we had this young gun in the ranks. SMDH

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Pisses me off that we depend on a winger cum rwb and a RB who's always injured when we had this young gun in the ranks. SMDH

No wonder Moyes liked him, the game against Everton he appeared rampant in from that video.

Good luck to him if the rumours are true.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's strange because the rumoured fee has usually been around £5m and that is a lot for a player who has not made a single appearance for us. Either he's very highly regarded by Real Madrid staff or... I don't know. It's not even like they need him, they have Carvajal who's still very young and experienced Spain international Arbeloa covering for him.

FromTheBench

We as it is overpaid for Di Maria.

Doubt very much it was a sweetener or anything. Probably he didn't settle in England and wanted a move.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We as it is overpaid for Di Maria.

Doubt very much it was a sweetener or anything. Probably he didn't settle in England and wanted a move.
Or we agreed to pay £59m for Di Maria so they could offset the signing of James Rodriguez on their books, and to balance that they offered to buy Varela from us for more than his market worth? Far fetched though, the margin is too small for it to make sense.

Decotron

very sad if true, looked like more technical and mature version of Rafael.. hopefully we will not turn our sights to Danny Alves after some latest acquisition..
:lol: FFS where do people get this sh*t from.

He never looked anywhere near that good in our reserves. Rafael was the best right back in the league not so long ago. He's obviously not without his faults either but statements like thatare just revisionary bollox.

It should be mentioned hes playing at a pretty low level now as well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

He never looked anywhere near that good in our reserves. Rafael was the best right back in the league not so long ago. He's obviously not without his faults either but statements like thatare just revisionary bollox.

He seems to bring out the looney in more then one caftard. It's weird as feck.

He's playing in the Spanish third division, for the record.

khoazany

He seems to bring out the looney in more then one caftard. It's weird as feck.

He's playing in the Spanish third division, for the record.
He's better than that level tbf.Although saying he's more mature than Rafael is a bit hilarious.

m1y2

well people who saw him obviously rate him and know what they are talking about. I saw about 90% of u21 games last season and I am firm on what I said. If you are laughing at this comment it seems like you are really overreacting or don't know what are you talking about at all as you clearly didn't see much of him...

He is apparently in a good form now and there is no reason Real would sign him if he was any bad.. he may struggle in few year to come to get into first team over great prospect Carvajal and experienced Arbeloa but if he is not making it there he will surely play for some other big club if he doesn't bury his chance by simply waiting there for too long.

Apart his footballing talent he looked very determined and injury-free character but one never knows with young players... But I think you will eat your words, I am remembering your nickname now, recall me if it's otherwise, say in two three years which is fair time to judge how he will have proggressed.

I rate Rafael very highly btw

m1y2

He's better than that level tbf. Although saying he's more mature than Rafael is a bit hilarious.
Didn't say he was more mature than him now, he just looked more mature than him at that age, didn't have any problem to adapt straight away coming to club tho whereas Rafael was here from his 18 and at 20/21 well we all know how he was like in his first couple of years. (Although we may never know with Varela as we didn't have chance to see him in the first team.) I thought that you could be the one who could confirm this as you obviously watch a lot of youth games..

khoazany

Didn't say he was more mature than him now, he just looked more mature than him at that age, didn't have any problem to adapt straight away coming to club tho whereas Rafael was here from his 18 and at 20/21 well we all know how he was like in his first couple of years. (Although we may never know with Varela as we didn't have chance to see him in the first team.) I thought that you could be the one who could confirm this as you obviously watch a lot of youth games..
You need to take into account the massive difference between U21s and senior football as Rafael was thrown into the first team at a very young age.Varela is a joy to watch as a footballer but I feel his positional awareness is too naive and it's a very important attribute for a full back.Considering he will be 22 soon he should be much better than that if he want to have a real shot at our first team.I reckon he will make it big in Spain for some club though,his offensive game is outstanding for me.I actually quite rate the way Donald Love play as right back but he has zero physical attribute or pace to play at the highest level.

Last edited:

Gannicus

Count me among those who believe Varela could have succeeded at United. But rumors out there suggest Louis is interested in a proven, prem-tested right back -- Seamus Coleman. It's hard to argue with Louis's thinking, if there's any truth to this rumor.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
FWIW, this guy is a known bullshitter who has a history of making up things. I'll advise people to lose their shit if we get any actual confirmation.

Loublaze

ATLien

Rafael has never been the best RB in the league. Red tinted glasses.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Rafael has never been the best RB in the league. Red tinted glasses.
He was in 2012/13, even his haters would have to cave and admit he was. Carrick and RVP got the plaudits and rightly so but Rafael was immense for us that season. I think it was 40 games that he played that season and was a key part in the title win.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
He was in 2012/13, even his haters would have to cave and admit he was. Carrick and RVP got the plaudits and rightly so but Rafael was immense for us that season. I think it was 40 games that he played that season and was a key part in the title win.
The one season he stayed fit for a considerable amount of time, sigh......

Acole9

Outstanding
FWIW, this guy is a known bullshitter who has a history of making up things. I'll advise people to lose their shit if we get any actual confirmation.
Don't know why anyone would waste their time making up rumours about reserve players.

Loublaze

ATLien
Fergie's last season.
That was Rafael's best season for us but Zabaleta was the best RB in the league that season, he edged Rafael tbh.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
That was Rafael's best season for us but Zabaleta was the best RB in the league that season, he edged Rafael tbh.
You won't find anyone who rates Zabaleta higher than me but Rafael was better that season, both going forward and at the back. Obviously all opinion but solely on that season, Rafael as far more balanced than Zabaleta.

Loublaze

ATLien
You won't find anyone who rates Zabaleta higher than me but Rafael was better that season, both going forward and at the back. Obviously all opinion but solely on that season, Rafael as far more balanced than Zabaleta.
There wasn't much between them that season. If I recall correctly they both ended the season with 3 goals and 3 assists. I guess there's nothing wrong with saying Rafael was the best, its a simple 'either or ' for me, looking back in retrospect.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Still a United player?
If so will real exercise their option in the summer?
Is he that good?
If the answers are yes, probably and yes and chance we work his return into the de gea deal?...

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
18 apps thus far and bagged one goal in Februari.

Has all the attributes to make it to the top according to Zidane. Ofcourse he is not going to state that at 22 he should not be playing at Castilla, so Zidane being the manager there i would take that quote with a pinch of salt.