Guillermo Varela

Loublaze

ATLien
What a waste of a signing. United don't make no goddamn sense sometimes

khoazany

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...-ace-unlikely-to-join-real-madrid-this-summer

I find it a bit strange that he's seemingly going from pillar to post without being given much of a chance here. I like him.
Don't understand the rumour at all.We wanted to sell him for 7m this summer but also accepted to send him to Udinese on loan with a buying fee of 3.4m??Make no sense.

He is simply another player that preferred by the old regime (Moyes) but not LVG's.He's same age as Lingard,W.Keane,Thorpe,etc with even less experience so we might not see him as the right one to groom as a future first team RB.Even Janko played in a higher football level than him last season (despite being occasionally benched).

LR7

Don't understand the rumour at all.We wanted to sell him for 7m this summer but also accepted to send him to Udinese on loan with a buying fee of 3.4m??Make no sense.

He is simply another player that preferred by the old regime (Moyes) but not LVG's.He's same age as Lingard,W.Keane,Thorpe,etc with even less experience so we might not see him as the right one to groom as a future first team RB.Even Janko played in a higher football level than him last season (despite being occasionally benched).
I know he was the first official signing of the Moyes era but it seemed that it was a signing that was set up well before Moyes began having any influence here, so I'm not sure how we can know Moyes' views on him for sure (unless you have info I'm not aware of?)

It's just a shame because it doesn't really seem he's been looked at by the current management. I suppose a Udinese loan wouldn't be the worst idea, it just seems he's not even been given a chance to make any kind of impression on the current staff, which is unfortunate.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
When Moyes came in, and he was given a first team number, there were plenty saying he wasn't far behind Rafael.

2 years later, Valencia is our RB, and both look on the outs.

khoazany

I know he was the first official signing of the Moyes era but it seemed that it was a signing that was set up well before Moyes began having any influence here, so I'm not sure how we can know Moyes' views on him for sure (unless you have info I'm not aware of?)

It's just a shame because it doesn't really seem he's been looked at by the current management. I suppose a Udinese loan wouldn't be the worst idea, it just seems he's not even been given a chance to make any kind of impression on the current staff, which is unfortunate.
Phil Neville said during an U21s match that he trained with the first team that season and was expected to compete for a first team spot the season after.

Sid234

So have we sold him? Or in the process of selling him? Any updates on him? Would love to see him get a shot at the rb position during pre-season

Sid234

Maybe he'll get a shot in pre-season and win over Van Gaal like Young did last season!

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can he play RB? I thought he was an LB. If he can play the former and he has developed at Madrid, then he could be the surprise newcomer of next season for us.

Ibi Dreams

Can he play RB? I thought he was an LB. If he can play the former and he has developed at Madrid, then he could be the surprise newcomer of next season for us.
He's always been a right back

Rednotdead

LVG will probably take him on the tour to assess him, then make a decision about whether he's kept on or not.

Hopefully he'll do well.

Sid234

don't see what the harm would be giving him a shot in pre-season. Especially if Tony V hasn't still recovered from his surgery and we have no new RB either

C'est Moi Cantona

Wasn't this the kid that had to go home for a period of time because he couldn't settle with us? Also didn't / don't RM have an option to buy, if they have and haven't activated it the he surely can't have impressed them that much.

The Daily Mail piece just seems to be their opinion, I reckon he'll be sold or loaned again.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Varela used to be so much fun to watch ,the loan move made no sense at all . I wish we will atleast take him to the tour and then decide.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Wasn't this the kid that had to go home for a period of time because he couldn't settle with us? Also didn't / don't RM have an option to buy, if they have and haven't activated it the he surely can't have impressed them that much.

The Daily Mail piece just seems to be their opinion, I reckon he'll be sold or loaned again.
The reason he lest was compassionate leave, his parents were in a serious car crash.

As for Madrid, seems Zidane wants him to stay, Real want to nickel and dime us on the 7m euro.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He actually looks like a good prospect, shame he went to Madrid, lets see if he makes it for our pre-season, but I'd imagine if we let him go on loan to Madrid B that hes not part of the plans

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He's definitely worthy of a few league cup games. Hope we keep him in the squad until January to assess him properly.

SambaBoy

Seems solid defensively when I have seen him plus his attacking side of his game doesn't let him down. It's hard to judge players just from U21's and reserve football. At this stage of his career, you would of preferred him to have got some first team football in a more competitive environment than just the Castilla which isn't the best standard to be fair.

The Udinese loan could be a good option however it seems when our players get loaned abroad (with the exception of Antwerp) they are mainly forgotten about and then sold further down the line. Hope that's not the case with this kid if he's good enough especially in a position where we look weak.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Seems solid defensively when I have seen him plus his attacking side of his game doesn't let him down. It's hard to judge players just from U21's and reserve football. At this stage of his career, you would of preferred him to have got some first team football in a more competitive environment than just the Castilla which isn't the best standard to be fair.

The Udinese loan could be a good option however it seems when our players get loaned abroad (with the exception of Antwerp) they are mainly forgotten about and then sold further down the line. Hope that's not the case with this kid if he's good enough especially in a position where we look weak.
So basically not ready for first team action at United?

Kakeru

I think I can live with him being one of the official backups to our new first team RB (whoever that is). If Rafael came up as the ageing Gary Neville's backup at 18 years of age, I don't see why we cannot do the same about Varela is he can do his job (especially with our shortage of viable RB options at the moment).

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
I think I can live with him being one of the official backups to our new first team RB (whoever that is). If Rafael came up as the ageing Gary Neville's backup at 18 years of age, I don't see why we cannot do the same about Varela is he can do his job (especially with our shortage of viable RB options at the moment).
If we did get a new RB, which we should, Tony V would be the backup option, no? Do you really want an unproven 22 year old to be your second backup? I mean, what's the point? Rather let him go get some top-tier experience and regular playing time instead, and hope he makes it at his loanee club.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I would be happy with Rafael first choice, Valencia when he is injured and Varela as the immediate backup. Don't see anyone out there that screams of being a signficantly better option.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
I would be happy with Rafael first choice, Valencia when he is injured and Varela as the immediate backup. Don't see anyone out there that screams of being a signficantly better option.
Most of the time, that equates to Valencia first choice, with Varela as his deputy.
If Rafael didn't have such a woeful injury record, most of us would be fine him first choice anyway. But he does, and so we need a replacement.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Most of the time, that equates to Valencia first choice, with Varela as his deputy.
If Rafael didn't have such a woeful injury record, most of us would be fine him first choice anyway. But he does, and so we need a replacement.
I'm fully aware, and Valencia with Varela as backup with occasional forays for Rafael is fine by me. What we can't have is Jones/Smalling at RB, that's not good and doesn't build towards anything, which playing Varela would.

Macern

Pee pee pants
He shouldn't be included on the tour. I've watched quite a few Castilla games this season because of Ødegaard, and Varela has been shit. He is bad defensively and very inconsistent in attack. He will never be a first team player for us.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Seems like one of the players we're going forget was ever here like Mads Timm (next Laudrup), Floribert Ngalula (next Makelele) or Markus Neumayr (next Effenberg).