Guillermo Varela

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seems like one of the players we're going forget was ever here like Mads Timm (next Laudrup), Floribert Ngalula (next Makelele) or Markus Neumayr (next Effenberg).
Neumayr is currently the Effenberg of top flight football in....................Liechtenstein.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Neumayr is currently the Effenberg of top flight football in....................Liechtenstein.
Yeah and Ngalula is playing in the lowest Belgian division. Mads Timm isn't even playing anymore I think and he's only 30. Shows how far is the way between playing well for youth teams of a big club and actually making it as a footballer.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Yeah and Ngalula is playing in the lowest Belgian division. Mads Timm isn't even playing anymore I think and he's only 30. Shows how far is the way between playing well for youth teams of a big club and actually making it as a footballer.
Mads Timm fell completely out of love with the game. I think it was the whole culture around a professional football team or something.
Initially he came back here and played in the Superliga. He did quite well but he just didn't like it at all apparently. I believe it was something like that.

The last I heard he was a youth coach at some amateur club or something, so he still like the grassroots part of it. He might have said something about advising young players or something.
If so, how'd he go?
Australian?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Timm had an application/attitude issue I believe. He was close to the first team, I'm sure I remember him coming on against Macabi (might have even started). He was in a car crash though, or got done for drink-driving or something. That was the end of him here.

I remember he was very gifted though.

Maagge

Timm had an application/attitude issue I believe. He was close to the first team, I'm sure I remember him coming on against Macabi (might have even started). He was in a car crash though, or got done for drink-driving or something. That was the end of him here.

I remember he was very gifted though.
He got his debut a bit before turning 18, and had told the local TV-station he would do so before he left Denmark. (I'm listening to an interview just now)

Geordopolous

Mads Timm fell completely out of love with the game. I think it was the whole culture around a professional football team or something.
Initially he came back here and played in the Superliga. He did quite well but he just didn't like it at all apparently. I believe it was something like that.

The last I heard he was a youth coach at some amateur club or something, so he still like the grassroots part of it. He might have said something about advising young players or something.

Australian?
No, I'm asking how did he do? Not if he's Australian

Maagge

Last edited:

khoazany

We clearly intended to sell him.Not sure what's the current situation.

I rate his talent, similar to Rafael that he's a joy to watch when in form and the team is dominating but I can't help but think his old club (and us) screwed up his progress a bit by keeping him at the B Team/U21s (hardly our fault though since he always needed his first year at England as the year to adapt).Hard to imagine a player of his talent got almost zero senior football experience at 20 years old.The lack of physique might strike against him as well.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
We clearly intended to sell him.Not sure what's the current situation.

I rate his talent, similar to Rafael that he's a joy to watch when in form and the team is dominating but I can't help but think his old club (and us) screwed up his progress a bit by keeping him at the B Team/U21s (hardly our fault though since he always needed his first year at England as the year to adapt).Hard to imagine a player of his talent got almost zero senior football experience at 20 years old.The lack of physique might strike against him as well.
In fairness, he was starting for Peñarol's first team and the club wanted to keep him for another year, which would have included participating in a Copa Libertadores campaign. But no, we had to have that "first year in England to adapt" pronto.

I hate what all this global shopping does for young talent, players should stay 2-3 years at least playing senior football before moving on. Instead they pile up in reserve football scrapheaps.

izec

In fairness, he was starting for Peñarol's first team and the club wanted to keep him for another year, which would have included participating in a Copa Libertadores campaign. But no, we had to have that "first year in England to adapt" pronto.

I hate what all this global shopping does for young talent, players should stay 2-3 years at least playing senior football before moving on. Instead they pile up in reserve football scrapheaps.
Agree.

Sid234

He's in the Champions League squad. I'm surprised at that, but could be there to make up the numbers too

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He's in the Champions League squad. I'm surprised at that, but could be there to make up the numbers too
Teams like United shouldn't be in a situation where we have to add players to make up numbers. Although Varela is decent, mind.

Our strength in depth is a bit shite.

Robbie Boy

Teams like United shouldn't be in a situation where we have to add players to make up numbers. Although Varela is decent, mind.

He's clearly there to make up the numbers. Our strength-in-depth is nothing like it was during the Fergie era due to the sheer level of players that LvG has disposed of.

Kag

The effectiveness of our supposed strength in depth was usually minimal because too few of our players knew what it felt like to play regular football.

I'd bin this guy too, the last of the remaining deadwood.

Lennon7

He's clearly there to make up the numbers. Our strength-in-depth is nothing like it was during the Fergie era due to the sheer level of players that LvG has disposed of.
I know, and it's shit. We should have a really deep, quality squad. If we're as unlucky with injury as we have been in the last couple of years then we're fecked.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I know, and it's shit. We should have a really deep, quality squad. If we're as unlucky with injury as we have been in the last couple of years then we're fecked.
Its shit that we don't have a different 3rd/4th RB? Whether it is him or someone else they aren't going to play. Yeah if we are unlucky and lose 3 people in the same position we're going to be fecked, so would every team. May as well sign 7 or 8 more players. You know in case we are unlucky and lose our whole first XI. Don't know wtf we were doing getting rid of Lindegaard, what if all our keepers get injured?

Lennon7

Its shit that we don't have a different 3rd/4th RB? Whether it is him or someone else they aren't going to play. Yeah if we are unlucky and lose 3 people in the same position we're going to be fecked, so would every team. May as well sign 7 or 8 more players. You know in case we are unlucky and lose our whole first XI. Don't know wtf we were doing getting rid of Lindegaard, what if all our keepers get injured?
Read the whole conversation. I'm not complaining that Varela isn't good enough to go, but more that we've brought him just to make up numbers instead of bringing a 5th proper centre back or a 4th proper striker.

Name Changed

weso26
Seems like one of the players we're going forget was ever here like Mads Timm (next Laudrup), Floribert Ngalula (next Makelele) or Markus Neumayr (next Effenberg).
Davide Petrucci (next Totti). :( I really thought he'd make it.

khoazany

Doesn't mean anything.He was registered because he's overage for B list so can't be added later in case of need.

Robbie Boy

I get what you mean mate. Our squad options are nothing like they used to be. I guess Fergie always wanted a big squad and we have moved away from that. It seems a-lot of clubs are going for slightly smaller squads these days. Knowing our injury record, we could find ourselves a-bit short in some areas this season.

As for Varela, Zidane said some good things about him when he was on loan at Castilla last season, and be played consistently for them. I have no idea how good he is or isn't but given there hasn't been a mention of him, I would be surprised if we see him at all this season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Is Memo Varela really a worse right back than Valencia. I don't think so.

Robbie Boy

I'm no Valencia fan, but to be fair, he was pretty good last season for us whilst Varela played for Castilla. I would say Valencia is a far superior player. I would have liked to see Varela get some games during pre-season, to see what he's all about. Has anyone on here even seen much of him?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
As for Varela, Zidane said some good things about him when he was on loan at Castilla last season, and be played consistently for them. I have no idea how good he is or isn't but given there hasn't been a mention of him, I would be surprised if we see him at all this season.
I believe he was giving an interview to the Uruguay media when he said that. Was hardly going to say he was shit tbf

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Read the whole conversation. I'm not complaining that Varela isn't good enough to go, but more that we've brought him just to make up numbers instead of bringing a 5th proper centre back or a 4th proper striker.
Who would we sign then to be our 5th choice centre back? Who is going to be happy playing there? Van Gaal likes a smaller squad, less players to manage, less disruption caused by unhappy players sitting on the bench. I for one would much prefer to give our youth a chance than to pay some unenthusiastic no mark because he has 'experience'.

Robbie Boy

I believe he was giving an interview to the Uruguay media when he said that. Was hardly going to say he was shit tbf
I have no idea mate, you could well be right. It's not something I looked too in depth into. I just remember hearing about some quotes from Zidane regarding Varela.

Maybe he's atrocious, I have no idea. It's hard to get a good grasp on him as no one has really seen him play a significant amount. I personally hold little or no hope for him based on the fact the he was loaned to Castilla, didn't appear during pre-season and there hasn't been a word about him - so much so in fact, that plenty assumed he had departed.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I have no idea mate, you could well be right. It's not something I looked too in depth into. I just remember hearing about some quotes from Zidane regarding Varela.

Maybe he's atrocious, I have no idea. It's hard to get a good grasp on him as no one has really seen him play a significant amount. I personally hold little or no hope for him based on the fact the he was loaned to Castilla, didn't appear during pre-season and there hasn't been a word about him - so much so in fact, that plenty assumed he had departed.
Oh yeah, I think he's done at the club. Wouldn't surprise me if he's loaned out to the lower leagues once the loan window opens.

JoaquinJoaquin

Valencia for me is another player who epitomises the dross Fergie tended to buy in his latter years and who need to be moved on. I'd much rather at least give Varela a chance than play Valencia there for the sake of it.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
There must be Champo clubs looking for a loan right-back. Would be good for him assuming there's another Spanish speaker to look after him. Boro perhaps?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

Man every team does this. Have you seen the CL squads for Bayern, Madrid, Barca etc? You know, elite clubs with the likes of Abner, Lucas Vazquez, Denis Cheryshev, Marcos Llorente , Jan Kirchhoff....Bayen named 4 keepers and half a dozen 18 year olds; Barca have picked 6 players from their B team...

I mean of course we are the only top club in the CL who doesn't have 25 proven first team starters...provided you ignore all the other top clubs.

Off the top of my head I remember the likes of Dong, Eagles, Richardson, Simpson not only being named in our 25 man squad the last time we won the CL, but actually traveling to some of the games.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Valencia for me is another player who epitomises the dross Fergie tended to buy in his latter years and who need to be moved on. I'd much rather at least give Varela a chance than play Valencia there for the sake of it.
To be fair though, when we first bought him, he was quite good and proved me wrong (I was a doubter). Of course, he was no Ronaldo but how many players are? It's post injury that he declined a lot but how can anyone predict that? Now he is a mediocre player that can be relied on to do 'a job' when needed and is a squad player as opposed to starter (which he was last year). I think that's about his level and can't complain too much right now. Can't have a squad full of starters... need a few squaddies to pad it out and that's what he's doing. I can't see him ever displacing Darmian when both are fully fit.