Guillermo Varela

Revan

Assumptionman
It's actually Evra they dislike and United by association. Gamesmanship is a big thing here, finding an edge over your opponent by any means is part and parcel and gets emphasised from a very young age (how else can we ever beat Brazilians otherwise????? :lol: ). The whole thing is predicated/viable based on a code: "What happens on the pitch stays on the pitch". Breaking that code is therefore the most frowned upon thing here, more than anything else... and that's what Evra did.

To be fair Evra had only three options:

1) Don't do anything and let Suarez racially abuse him.

2) Do a Zidane which would resulted with him being sent off and have a lengthy punishment while Suarez wouldn't be punished and would had his last laugh. Very likely the reason why Suarez racially abused him.

3) Do what he did.

I think that the third decision was the right one, though the second one would have been very good to see.

Revan

Assumptionman
Back on topic, I always am excited when we sign young South Americans with fancy names. Don't know absolutely anything about this Varella guy, but hopefully in two years he will challenge Rafael for the spot or be Rafael's cover. Knowing that the fee is low, both the pressure and the expectations are not that high for him. If he turns good, then well done. If not, we remind ourselves that he cost about 5 times less than Bebe.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Isn't this what Materazzi did with Zidane when Italy won the WC, the only problem for France was that Zidane's head butt wasn't acceptable but the trash talk was. Well good to know we think differently.
That's an excellent high profile example. In a World Cup Final of all places. I don't particularly like Materazzi and loved watching Zidane, but in the biggest game of his life he well and truly owned him. I dislke the guy and the act but respect the fact he delivered a killer blow for his side to win. I can't see how any Italian could be anything but proud of how Materazzi duped the Frenchman and as far as we are concerned that is most definitely a big and valid part of football: emotional/psychological control of your opponent and in the face of the rival's efforts in that regard.

On topic. What about this new guy. Good enough to make it in to the squad?
I do like his natural inclination to push forward and overlap and defensively he is more sound than Rafael was at his age, but certainly not as big a talent. He could prove to be a very balanced option and we still have Smalling and Jones as backups while he develops so can't see any downside to it. Certainly more excited about him than Buttner or getting someone tried and tested but unspectacular, like Hibbert.

Reserve football, odd opportunities here and there and up to him what he makes of them.

antohan

To be fair Evra had only three options:

1) Don't do anything and let Suarez racially abuse him.

2) Do a Zidane which would resulted with him being sent off and have a lengthy punishment while Suarez wouldn't be punished and would had his last laugh. Very likely the reason why Suarez racially abused him.

3) Do what he did.

I think that the third decision was the right one, though the second one would have been very good to see.
And the point I was making is for us the first commandment is the third option is not an option. It's pretty simple, it just narrows your options to two which are circumscribed to the game: brush it off and get on with it or hit back at him some other way. Obviously, doing something that will get you sent off means the other guy won so brush it off or don't get caught is the clever thing to do, which is what I admired about Romario: he would score a goal. Very simple, very effective.

And before you also list horrible things that shouldn't be allowed to happen (or how racism itself shouldn't be), bear in mind commandments are never perfect. Moses didn't sit down and write "Thou shalt not kill, but if someone breaks into your house and starts raping your wife and kids... well... maybe you should do something about it".

The concept of someone being banned after a game for something that the referee didn't deal with at the time is completely alien to us. Games last 90 minutes and once they finish that is that, whatever the result, whatever happened, the final scoreline is king. The upside is we don't spend most of the season arguing over inconsistent standards or goaline technology :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
And the point I was making is for us the first commandment is the third option is not an option. It's pretty simple, it just narrows your options to two which are circumscribed to the game: brush it off and get on with it or hit back at him some other way. Obviously, doing something that will get you sent off means the other guy won so brush it off or don't get caught is the clever thing to do, which is what I admired about Romario: he would score a goal. Very simple, very effective.

And before you also list horrible things that shouldn't be allowed to happen (or how racism itself shouldn't be), bear in mind commandments are never perfect. Moses didn't sit down and write "Thou shalt not kill, but if someone breaks into your house and starts raping your wife and kids... well... maybe you should do something about it".

The concept of someone being banned after a game for something that the referee didn't deal with at the time is completely alien to us. Games last 90 minutes and once they finish that is that, whatever the result, whatever happened, the final scoreline is king. The upside is we don't spend most of the season arguing over inconsistent standards or goaline technology :lol:

Fair enough. Would Uruguay people would have been more happy if Evra as an act of vengeance sometime during the end of game would have broke Suarez's leg, and after all it would have been part of the game.

I know that the culture are different very much, but still it's unfair judging a player based on your culture where he is playing in an another culture. Racism is not excusable in England and Suarez knew it. He also knew that incidents can be punished retroactively.

Anyway, we are all bored of this debate but I struggle to understand how people there doesn't try to understand the incident from an another perspective.

antohan

Fair enough. Would Uruguay people would have been more happy if Evra as an act of vengeance sometime during the end of game would have broke Suarez's leg, and after all it would have been part of the game.
It would have been an overreaction, the referee would have rightly red carded him and he would fully deserve his uber-long ban. See, it is simple, all the bizarre extreme stuff gets dealt with adequately.

Anyway, we are all bored of this debate but I struggle to understand how people there doesn't try to understand the incident from an another perspective.
It's not something that deserves as much analysis. No one cares much about the Premiership, Liverpool or United. All they know is Suárez gets banned over an on-pitch windup. This after being totally flummoxed by the reaction to the handball during the World Cup (everyone to a man thought having a go at Suárez for that was fecking mental). Put two and two together and there wasn't much will to understand any perspective.

The same nutters who had a problem with his handball, red card and flukey penalty miss (all from a free kick that was never a foul, and two offsides before the handball!!!!) now seem to have a problem with players winding each other up... It doesn't really prompt much analytical interest, does it? Suárez claiming Pat called him sudaca did somehow blur the picture as well. It was considered any offence had been matched so the entire racist element got left out pretty much entirely from the off. And no, people wouldn't jump online and read up for months on the subject. First impression, make mind up, "Bunch of morons", and it stuck.

SirAF

Ageist

Who the hell is that?

Michael Bolingbroke, chief operating officer. I assume that Gill has left/is on holiday and Woodward is probably on holiday as well or at least, haven't assumed the position.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Anyone think he's replacing Vermilj in the U21s? I reckon Vermilj deserves a loan for all his good work.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm going to miss Gill in these pictures though. His creepy smile, dead eyes staring at the camera, lurching his giant body over the terrified new signing.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

So basically you are saying anything goes between the kick-off and end whistles.......So I whisper during a corner about all the degrading sexual perversions I acted out with your mother who died a week ago and you would have no problem with that, Or racially abused you? Or called your kids a bunch of inbred sister shaggers? Because its on a football field its ok?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Antohan got a point. Different countries, different cultures. Stating that, if Suarez wanted to play the 'Uruguayan' way then he should have stick to playing in Uruguay or at least play in a league with a similar mentality. I fear the thought of Suarez insulting Montero though. The latter was the defender's version of Roy Keane.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Antohan got a point. Different countries, different cultures. Stating that, if Suarez wanted to play the 'Uruguayan' way then he should have stick to playing in Uruguay or at least play in a league with a similar mentality. I fear the thought of Suarez insulting Montero though. The latter was the defender's version of Roy Keane.
That's a fair point.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In my part of world, the mentality of winding up players to get an edge over them is common. Maybe (and I hope not) its not at the extent of using racist slurs, however players are taught to do anything, to win, no matter what the consequences are. Unfortunately crime usually does pay in football. We've seen numerous penalties because of diving and a WC was indirectly won because Materazzi was able to wind up Zidane enough to lose his cool and act stupid. Players with a fiery temper or/and low IQ are usually targeted because they make easy targets.

I am sorry to say but this mentality sucks and such things are ruining this sport. UEFA/FIFA should strike hard against these player or else the mentality will never change

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK

Who the hell is that?

It looks all wrong doesn't it. A player that we do not recognise next to a CEO who looks just as alien. He looks like an actor who would play the Dad character in an generic American family sitcom.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Judging by that (30 min.) youtube, he's a much better defender than Buttner (who's 3 yrs older), good pace, and pretty skilful with the ball. And when he got tackled, he just got on with it. Good young player.

Gazza

Any songs for this lad yet? May I suggest Rihanna's "Umbrella", imagine OT bouncing along to it

"... Ella Ella, Ey Ey, Under my Varella"

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Any songs for this lad yet? May I suggest Rihanna's "Umbrella", imagine OT bouncing along to it

"... Ella Ella, Ey Ey, Under my Varella"
What about "Macarena"?

"Eeeey, Gui Varela!"

Gazza

Or a Guy Fawkes night special to the tune of "Remember remember the 5th of November"

... erm, Remember, remember Guillermo Varella

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He looks like the guy in every Russian viral video ever.