Gun control

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
It's amazing to me that objections to gun control haven't been legally ripped to shreds on at least three counts based on the actual wording the of the 2nd amendment: a "well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State ...":

1) With around 400 million guns in circulation in the USA, gun ownership can hardly be said to be "well regulated".

2) Most private citizens are NOT part of a militia.

3) Citizen ownership of guns is today NOT necessary for "the security of a free State" ... I'm sure the US military is more than capable of providing such security.
If the Framers had adequate syntax we probably would not be in this mess.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Somehow a militia needs regulating but private ownership doesn't? The Supreme Court has a lot to answer for.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If the Framers had adequate syntax we probably would not be in this mess.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Somehow a militia needs regulating but private ownership doesn't? The Supreme Court has a lot to answer for.
It's clear to me that many Supreme Court Justices have not based/do not base their judgements based on law, but instead base them more on their personal political beliefs and allegiances ... otherwise, based on the wording of the 2nd Amendment, legal objections to gun control could not possibly be upheld.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Good guys with guns......plus 2 bystanders...
Most American thing I've read in a while.
I wonder how many people have been shot through the years because a good guy with a gun mistook another good guy with a gun for a bad guy.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
It's amazing to me that objections to gun control haven't been legally ripped to shreds on at least three counts based on the actual wording the of the 2nd amendment: a "well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State ...":

1) With around 400 million guns in circulation in the USA, gun ownership can hardly be said to be "well regulated".

2) Most private citizens are NOT part of a militia.

3) Citizen ownership of guns is today NOT necessary for "the security of a free State" ... I'm sure the US military is more than capable of providing such security.
Right-wingers have long argued that the intent of the 2nd Amendment was never to limit guns to only people in militias. Over the centuries guns were never limited to only those in militias. No earlier versions of the supreme court banned guns from people not in regulated militias therefore the original intent was not to limit firearms to only militias. They interpret that Amendment as two separate clauses and will say that if the "Founding Fathers" ever wanted to limit firearms from private citizens they could have but they did not so claiming that the 2nd Amendment only applies to militias is misinterpreting the original document.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Right-wingers have long argued that the intent of the 2nd Amendment was never to limit guns to only people in militias. Over the centuries guns were never limited to only those in militias. No earlier versions of the supreme court banned guns from people not in regulated militias therefore the original intent was not to limit firearms to only militias. They interpret that Amendment as two separate clauses and will say that if the "Founding Fathers" ever wanted to limit firearms from private citizens they could have but they did not so claiming that the 2nd Amendment only applies to militias is misinterpreting the original document.
I'm talking about gun regulation, not banning guns. The wording of 2A clearly refers to militias and their need to be well-regulated with regard to arms. So it's logical to assume that if 2A wants militia arms to be well regulated, then such regulation should apply even more so to private citizens because these are not subject to the kind of command and discipline assumed to apply to militias.

MarylandMUFan

I know what it is, it is a Catholic priest blessing hunting rifles at the start of deer season. Hilariously sick, but benign.
They used to do the "blessing of the bikes" every year for a couple of biker gangs in Maryland back in the day (then there were issues so they banned bikers wearing their "colors"). Every single bit of it is comical.

Carolina Red

Staff

24 hours of initial training and then 8 hours per year after that.

To carry a gun and be expected to stop an active shooter in a school.

Christ on a bike

MUW4Eva

Soooo.......arm the doctors and nurses, is that the next step??

Ventura

The problem with guns in the US is clearly that not enough people has them, so maybe they need laws making it compulsory to carry a gun at all times for anyone over, say, 6? Who would dare shoot up a school or anywhere then?

diarm

Aside from all the overwhelmingly obvious reasons this is a bad idea, imagine thinking a good use of the limited time available for training teachers, is weapons training.

The US is like the old story about a frog in a pot of boiling water - it has just completely jumped the shark, but over enough time that people are still sat in the water, pretending it's all fine. When this doesn't work, and after teachers start shooting kids in the head for being dicks, or after a kid takes a gun off a teacher and uses it to kill them and other kids, what braindead ideas are they going to come up with next?

MUW4Eva

It all comes down to two things, money and power, those with the power want the money from the gun companies, and those who have the money, want the power from the people who have it, so it is a big massive circle, where nothing changes, as it is now soooo ingrained, that it is impossible to change.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Christ on a bike
The one thing black people are doing in the US is trying to stay inconspicuous, so basically they don't get shot for being black by white police and white gun nuts. Now the NRA are almost forcing them (teachers) to hold a gun in schools and in their cars to school so white police officers and white gun nuts can freely go about their business of killing black people. They might as well put up an 'Open Season' sign.

It's getting worser and worser.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

Christ on a bike
:lol:

Just wait till schools start making it mandatory for it’s teachers to carry in order to protect the children.

And then said teachers to get blamed for not killing the shooter when there’s inevitably a school shooting.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Christ on a bike
It's utterly absurd. Didn't we just see an example of a whole group of professional police officers who prided themselves on their training and equipment, who completely froze and failed to get involved because they might get shot? What's Miss Jenkins in Chemistry going to do?

MUW4Eva

Whilst thst is of course horrendous, just where is the line or crossover point between a child and a teenager for those stats??

A 13 year old for example, is both a teenager and a child, would that person be included in both stats??

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It's utterly absurd. Didn't we just see an example of a whole group of professional police officers who prided themselves on their training and equipment, who completely froze and failed to get involved because they might get shot? What's Miss Jenkins in Chemistry going to do?
The clever thing is that Miss Jenkins will already be in a situation where she has to act. She can't decide to wait around outside like the police because the gun man is entering her class through the only door. Shoot or be shot. Proper wild west stuff. :drool:

ShinjiNinja26

Whilst thst is of course horrendous, just where is the line or crossover point between a child and a teenager for those stats??

A 13 year old for example, is both a teenager and a child, would that person be included in both stats??
I would assume 13 year olds would be classed in the teenager’s category as that’s when teenage years begin. Child would be 12 and under.

MUW4Eva

I would assume 13 year olds would be classed in the teenager’s category as that’s when teenage years begin. Child would be 12 and under.
Ahh fair enough, I suppose that makes sense, thanks for helping to clear that up.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

13 is a teenager, I would assume. And 12 is a child as well. No clue though if this is correct

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Had a discussion earlier with my fox news watching work colleague while at lunch.
He thinks the only way to prevent kids getting killed in schools is to have armed retired veterans at every school.
I told him that doesn't work, some kids will still get killed.
I suggested actions such as those that happened after Dunblane, Port Arthur and Christchurch (strict gun laws and bans) as a better way forward.
He said that'd never work here. There's too many people that want to have their guns.

He's probably right. So much for American ingenuity.
Another reason to GTF outta here. 2-3 more years....