Gun control

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Had a discussion earlier with my fox news watching work colleague while at lunch.
He thinks the only way to prevent kids getting killed in schools is to have armed retired veterans at every school.
I told him that doesn't work, some kids will still get killed.
I suggested actions such as those that happened after Dunblane, Port Arthur and Christchurch (strict gun laws and bans) as a better way forward.
He said that'd never work here. There's too many people that want to have their guns.

He's probably right. So much for American ingenuity.
Another reason to GTF outta here. 2-3 more years....
Did you ask him about PTSD and the risks associated with potentially having guys with guns and PTSD in a building full of children? Not knocking veterans or stereotyping them, they can be well adjusted but even a neighbour of mine who served in Afghanistan said when he hears a car backfire it takes him right back there and he's ducking for cover, etc.

RedDevilQuebecois

Mehdi Hasan brought an interesting point in his show from yesterday. At some point, the next step should be to amend the Second Amendment the same way that newer amendments were added in the 20th century to warrant the universality of rights to women and minorities.

Time to put the Second Amendment on the table.

edit: Did I or someone else mention that the text of 2A is really poorly written on its grammar?

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Did you ask him about PTSD and the risks associated with potentially having guys with guns and PTSD in a building full of children? Not knocking veterans or stereotyping them, they can be well adjusted but even a neighbour of mine who served in Afghanistan said when he hears a car backfire it takes him right back there and he's ducking for cover, etc.
I'd thought about PTSD and figured there'd be more accidental shootings or just veterans going on rampages than now, but it's useless discussing that with some people. I offered the one method to deal with the issue that has proved to work...

MUW4Eva

Well this is a sign that they have their priorities in order!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Or jumped the kid when the gun jammed.
To be fair he took about four steps back in shock that the kid actually fired the gun. But only four steps and then carried on watching. I bet $100 he was proud the kid was exercising his second amendment.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
To be fair he took about four steps back in shock that the kid actually fired the gun. But only four steps and then carried on watching. I bet $100 he was proud the kid was exercising his second amendment.
It was in Michigan, you could be right.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'm talking about gun regulation, not banning guns. The wording of 2A clearly refers to militias and their need to be well-regulated with regard to arms. So it's logical to assume that if 2A wants militia arms to be well regulated, then such regulation should apply even more so to private citizens because these are not subject to the kind of command and discipline assumed to apply to militias.
What you're saying is perfectly logical of course. But the right-wingers have instilled this mindset that any bit of gun legislation is just a slippery slope to an outright ban, liberals just want to take away the 2nd Amendment, etc.

RedDevilQuebecois

What you're saying is perfectly logical of course. But the right-wingers have instilled this mindset that any bit of gun legislation is just a slippery slope to an outright ban, liberals just want to take away the 2nd Amendment, etc.
It's a real shame that the American right believes that way because gun control is not a matter of left or right at all; it's a choice by society as a whole when confronted to reality. Some countries known to historically vote far more often conservative than liberal/labour for XYZ reason (like Britain or Japan) have chosen that path because they deemed it as the right approach to keep society in a safer state and to better prevent tragedies. When Australia went for tougher gun laws after the Port Arthur mass shooting, it was PM John Howard and his Liberal (center-right) Party of Australia who introduced the legislation.

edit: After the Dunblane massacre, Conservative PM John Major introduced the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 to ban all cartridge ammunition handguns with the exception of .22 calibre single-shot weapon. Then Labour PM Tony Blair pushed the step further after the 1997 election with the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, banning the remaining .22 cartridge handguns as well. Not left nor right; it's a choice with a society first mindset.

Last edited:

Jericholyte2

It's a real shame that the American right believes that way because gun control is not a matter of left or right at all; it's a choice by society as a whole when confronted to reality. Some countries known to historically vote far more often conservative than liberal/labour for XYZ reason (like Britain or Japan) have chosen that path because they deemed it as the right approach to keep society in a safer state and to better prevent tragedies. When Australia went for tougher gun laws after the Port Arthur mass shooting, it was PM John Howard and his Liberal (center-right) Party of Australia who introduced the legislation.

edit: After the Dunblane massacre, Conservative PM John Major introduced the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 to ban all cartridge ammunition handguns with the exception of .22 calibre single-shot weapon. Then Labour PM Tony Blair pushed the step further after the 1997 election with the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, banning the remaining .22 cartridge handguns as well. Not left nor right; it's a choice with a society first mindset.
“The owners of all of the 160,000 handguns are penalised for the dementia of a couple of their number, and because no one, in the current climate, dare speak for them.”

“Nanny is confiscating their toys. It is like one of those vast Indian programmes of compulsory vasectomy.”

- Boris Johnson

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
“The owners of all of the 160,000 handguns are penalised for the dementia of a couple of their number, and because no one, in the current climate, dare speak for them.”

“Nanny is confiscating their toys. It is like one of those vast Indian programmes of compulsory vasectomy.”

- Boris Johnson
He could have done with a compulsory vasectomy to be honest.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
"If you're dealing with a mob of people possibly trying to take over your home" [you're going to want an assault rifle].

What is this scenario, the zombie apocalypse?
I'm guessing being fecking scum means the likelihood of something like that happening goes up.

MarylandMUFan

We can accuse Congress and NRA all we like but the country itself is sick and a basket case, a lost cause. One half of the country are still living in the 17th century.
It's all bullshit fear mongering by the right. The pandemic sucked, the religious right made it worse. The economy and gas prices suck. Not sure who to blame for that but the Republicans voting price gouging and everything else down makes it worse. How these idiots can believe that they need guns to protect them from democratic policies is just them responding to the fear mongering because it works.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
"If you're dealing with a mob of people possibly trying to take over your home" [you're going to want an assault rifle].

What is this scenario, the zombie apocalypse?
I'd say more Scarface than zombie apocalypse. If a mob of people is trying to take over your home you likely have a lot of drugs or money stashed there and they want to take it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

I wish the US population was that sane but its decades of America's specific brand of right-wing ideology that makes people think like this: