g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gun control

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Until then, I am surrounded by crazy people and criminals with guns and I am not going to risk getting shot in the head to make political points.
If this was your concern you wouldn't own a gun as far as I know.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If I saw someone breaking into my house with a gun (outlandish notion in this country but feck it) I would run even if I had a much bigger gun. The prospect of murdering someone in a firefight over my flatscreen TV just doesnt sound like a good idea.
This is the correct answer. Why anyone would think they would be safer attacking someone with a gun is beyond me. Just get out the back door and run.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This is the correct answer. Why anyone would think they would be safer attacking someone with a gun is beyond me. Just get out the back door and run.
Not only that, but even if I would managed to kill the assailent, I would be traumatized over having murdered someone. It's just such an alien response to me.

MUW4Eva

Exactly, goods can be replaced, lives cannot.
Call the police, and let them deal with it.

Trying to play the superhero is the wrong way to go about things.

That is the cowards way.

Mike Smalling

And even if they were to have a gun simply to defend their home, I would imagine that either a pistol or a shotgun would be sufficient, and maybe even the preferred solution. There really is no need for anyone to have a rifle with a 30-round magazine for personal protection.

MUW4Eva

Not only that, but even if I would managed to kill the assailent, I would be traumatized over having murdered someone. It's just such an alien response to me.
It is what comes from seeing so many shoot-outs in film and TV, people think that through can be flippant, and be their own star in their own house.

There is simply no excuse, not a single one for anyone to own a killing machine.

Anyone that does is in a death ****.

MUW4Eva

And even if they were to have a gun simply to defend their home, I would imagine that either a pistol or a shotgun would be sufficient, and maybe even the preferred solution. There really is no need for anyone to have a rifle with a 30-round magazine for personal protection.
A pistol or a shotgun is still far too much, they arw still made with the sole intention to kill.

Defending ones home is pointless, let it go, it can be replaced, let the police deal with the situation.

Owning any killing machines of any variety is just wrong, and anyone that does is a coward.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@shamans honestly must be shit to live in such a dangerous place. Have you had to shoot many burglars over the years then? (Not bring a dick just wondering).

MUW4Eva

@shamans honestly must be shit to live in such a dangerous place. Have you had to shoot many burglars over the years then? (Not bring a dick just wondering).
There is no reason to shoot anyone, it is that sort of mindset, that is just plain wrong.

If a burglary happens, who cares, nothing as valuable as a human life will be stolen by them, so just let them take what they want and get out, phone the police, and let them deal with the situation.

Pretending to be a superhero with a killing machine, is just the cowards way of doing things.
And there are a lot of cowards in America.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There is no reason to shoot anyone, it is that sort of mindset, that is just plain wrong.

If a burglary happens, who cares, nothing as valuable as a human life will be stolen by them, so just let them take what they want and get out, phone the police, and let them deal with the situation.

Pretending to be a superhero with a killing machine, is just the cowards way of doing things.
And there are a lot of cowards in America.
Maybe it's the 'macho' image of America that people feel the need to act tough. It's something in their collective psyche maybe. It feels like some people have watched too many old westerns and think that their country was created on the back of some fantasy hard men that they must live up to. I've no idea.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The saddest and most laughable part of all this is how many people still bang on about the USA being the land of the free when it's clearly not.

I think the USA is probably the least free country in the modern world. I can't imagine having to own a gun because I was so scared of criminals. (personally I always refer to Jim Jefferies sketch regarding home invasion, and also the stats back his comedic observations up in that most break ins are by unarmed criminals who just want your TV)

My 9 year old daughter was at school yesterday doing her sports day, while her 9 year old cousin was at school in Florida and had an active shooter drill. There's a viral Tik Tok video doing the rounds of a family of Americans on holiday here in the UK who made the exact same observation
I’ve heard independent eyewitness accounts of the shooting today where the parents said the kids were the ones keeping calm in the aftermath of the shooting vs. the parents due to their active shooter drills.

That is awful.

MUW4Eva

Maybe it's the 'macho' image of America that people feel the need to act tough. It's something in their collective psyche maybe. It feels like some people have watched too many old westerns and think that their country was created on the back of some fantasy hard men that they must live up to. I've no idea.
All true points, it is people like that; that think they know best, that think they are a superhero, when they are the complete opposite.

Having any killing machine of any size, automatically makes you a coward, no one needs that in their house/home.

If someone breaks in, who cares, let them steal the TV, or jewellery etc, all of that can be easily replaced, trying to be macho, and showing off by shooting someone is the wrong path to take.

I see no reason at all, none to own a killing machine, those that do, have the blood of every single child also killed by a killing machine, on their hands.

If cowards like that are happy to have that on their conscience, then I don't know what to say.

All guns should be removed from private ownership, it is for the greater good.

The police should be allowed to take them.
No individual should own even one small pistol, nevermind a huge killing machine.

People who resist, should be thrown in jail.

MUW4Eva

I’ve heard independent eyewitness accounts of the shooting today where the parents said the kids were the ones keeping calm in the aftermath of the shooting vs. the parents due to their active shooter drills.

That is awful.
It is muscle memory sadly, it is what happens when you do drill after drill.

Soooo needless though, children simply should not need to be taught this.

It is only due to cowards waiting to have their killing machines, and wanting to be part of the death ****, that they do.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If this scene of people running from an active shooter situation with 4th of July fireworks in the background was in a movie, I’d roll my eyes at the director being too ‘on the nose’ with his symbolism. But this was in Philly last night; no one died in this one that I know of.

MUW4Eva

But cowards have a right to their killing machines, their right comes waaayyyy before that of fathers putting their own children in rubbish bins...

Deary me, why don't people just come out and admit they are cowards??

Mike Smalling

The US now has so many prominent mass shootings, that they are easy to get confused. Incredibly, there is both a Highland Park shooting and a Parkland High School shooting.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The US now has so many prominent mass shootings, that they are easy to get confused. Incredibly, there is both a Highland Park shooting and a Parkland High School shooting.
That's it! I kept "thinking Highland Park is an old shooting, right?"

Stacks

It is what comes from seeing so many shoot-outs in film and TV, people think that through can be flippant, and be their own star in their own house.

There is simply no excuse, not a single one for anyone to own a killing machine.

Anyone that does is in a death ****.
A pistol or a shotgun is still far too much, they arw still made with the sole intention to kill.

Defending ones home is pointless, let it go, it can be replaced, let the police deal with the situation.

Owning any killing machines of any variety is just wrong, and anyone that does is a coward.
All true points, it is people like that; that think they know best, that think they are a superhero, when they are the complete opposite.

Having any killing machine of any size, automatically makes you a coward, no one needs that in their house/home.

If someone breaks in, who cares, let them steal the TV, or jewellery etc, all of that can be easily replaced, trying to be macho, and showing off by shooting someone is the wrong path to take.

I see no reason at all, none to own a killing machine, those that do, have the blood of every single child also killed by a killing machine, on their hands.

If cowards like that are happy to have that on their conscience, then I don't know what to say.

All guns should be removed from private ownership, it is for the greater good.

The police should be allowed to take them.
No individual should own even one small pistol, nevermind a huge killing machine.

People who resist, should be thrown in jail.
its really not. There are so many incidents of people robbing someone AND killing them afterwards. Home invasions are especially prominent in LA. Criminals have tied up families and executed them in their homes. The other week and inmate escaped and murdered a grandfather and 3 of his grandsons for no reason. In a place like america you absolutely should have a gun at home.

Also how can the police jail hundreds of millions of people who resist?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
its really not. There are so many incidents of people robbing someone AND killing them afterwards. Home invasions are especially prominent in LA. Criminals have tied up families and executed them in their homes. The other week and inmate escaped and murdered a grandfather and 3 of his grandsons for no reason. In a place like america you absolutely should have a gun at home.

Also how can the police jail hundreds of millions of people who resist?
@KirkDuyt it's the same in my area. I know it's an alien concept to you but it's silly to suggest most burglars are just stealing my TV. Where I live is an area that tops the chart with violent crime.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@KirkDuyt it's the same in my area. I know it's an alien concept to you but it's silly to suggest most burglars are just stealing my TV. Where I live is an area that tops the chart with violent crime.
Yeah I can imagine, but you make it sound like you have to shoot violent burglars quite often, so do you really somewhat regularly shoot or threaten to shoot people? I'd honestly consider moving.

shamans

where do you live out if interest?
I wouldn't want to post that public though from all my posts a few on here could probably make an educated guess. It's a historically low income minority neighborhood with a lot of gang activity but being gentrified at a decent pace.

I just now checked the local police stats. Just this week we had a dozen or so firearm deaths.

shamans

Yeah I can imagine, but you make it sound like you have to shoot violent burglars quite often, so do you really somewhat regularly shoot or threaten to shoot people? I'd honestly consider moving.
I wonder how you came to that conclusion. I posted a few pages back that my firearm is my last resort after calling the police, hiding, warning the burglar to leave (which I have done). So I have thankfully never used it. I hope to never use it as well just as I hope my accidental death life insurance policy at work never kicks in.

Stacks

I wouldn't want to post that public though from all my posts a few on here could probably make an educated guess. It's a historically low income minority neighborhood with a lot of gang activity but being gentrified at a decent pace.

I just now checked the local police stats. Just this week we had a dozen or so firearm deaths.
I would of thought somewhere in Chicago but its impossible to own a gun there. Same as NY

shamans

I would of thought somewhere in Chicago but its impossible to own a gun there. Same as NY
No it's NC but something that will be surprising is getting a handgun license is incredibly difficult. The Sheriff's office has to approve it and it can take a year. I can go to the local armory and get a super powerful shotgun in minutes but for a handgun I'll have to wait. Makes no sense.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
No it's NC but something that will be surprising is getting a handgun license is incredibly difficult. The Sheriff's office has to approve it and it can take a year. I can go to the local armory and get a super powerful shotgun in minutes but for a handgun I'll have to wait. Makes no sense.
Shotgun’s better for at home defense anyway.

RedDevil@84

And even if they were to have a gun simply to defend their home, I would imagine that either a pistol or a shotgun would be sufficient, and maybe even the preferred solution
"What if the intruder has a big gun? I need loads of bigger guns to protect my family" is the typical argument for this.

I find the whole attempt to make sense of the American belief in guns, absolutely futile. There is no sense to be made. Some people living in rough neighborhood may need some guns, because of probability of violent crimes. But there is no sense to have hundred types of guns, many of them military grade, to be easily available in the market. And definitely not all over the country.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

You realise that this is unique to America in the western world right? I mean that in itself is not normal anywhere else. As a comparison: In the EU approximately 6,700 people die as a result of gun shot wounds each year. This number is composed of 5,000 suicides (75%), 1,000 homicides (15%) and 700 unspecified deaths or accidents. So in the entirety of Europe, on average each year there are around 1000 gun death murders. The city of Philadelphia last year alone had over 500 gun murders and Chicago had over 700. That's more than all of Europe in just two cities in the US. There is something rotten in the US and what you guys view as normal is very abnormal everywhere else in the western world.

The difference is lack of access to guns.

Stacks

"What if the intruder has a big gun? I need loads of bigger guns to protect my family" is the typical argument for this.

I find the whole attempt to make sense of the American belief in guns, absolutely futile. There is no sense to be made. Some people living in rough neighborhood may need some guns, because of probability of violent crimes. But there is no sense to have hundred types of guns, many of them military grade, to be easily available in the market. And definitely not all over the country.
I agree. When the amendment was made citizens were allowed to have the same guns as the state but they were not assault rifles.

shamans

You realise that this is unique to America in the western world right? I mean that in itself is not normal anywhere else. As a comparison: In the EU approximately 6,700 people die as a result of gun shot wounds each year. This number is composed of 5,000 suicides (75%), 1,000 homicides (15%) and 700 unspecified deaths or accidents. So in the entirety of Europe, on average each year there are around 1000 gun death murders. The city of Philadelphia last year alone had over 500 gun murders and Chicago had over 700. That's more than all of Europe in just two cities in the US. There is something rotten in the US and what you guys view as normal is very abnormal everywhere else in the western world.

I don't know who in my town views this as normal. It's a problem and one that needs politicians to fix. It makes no sense to put the blame on anyone who owns a gun. I believe in high regulation, not a total ban but say there was a total ban believe me I would be the first in line rushing to give my arms back to the state.

Shotgun’s better for at home defense anyway.
I guess it depends but yeah for most cases I agree with you and it's more useful for hunting as well if you wanna reuse it. It's much safer as well.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't know who in my town views this as normal. It's a problem and one that needs politicians to fix. It makes no sense to put the blame on anyone who owns a gun. I believe in high regulation, not a total ban but say there was a total ban believe me I would be the first in line rushing to give my arms back to the state.
The problem is the America psyche and the culture. I don't think it can be fixed unfortunately.

Stacks

You realise that this is unique to America in the western world right? I mean that in itself is not normal anywhere else. As a comparison: In the EU approximately 6,700 people die as a result of shot wounds each year. This number is composed of 5,000 suicides (75%), 1,000 homicides (15%) and 700 unspecified deaths or accidents. So in the entirety of Europe, on average each year there are around 1000 gun death murders. The city of Philadelphia last year alone had over 500 gun murders and Chicago had over 700. That's more than all of Europe in just two cities in the US. There is something rotten in the US and what you guys view as normal is very abnormal everywhere else in the western world.

its a bit more complex. Switzerland has high gun ownership and N.Ireland guns are legal but they have few deaths. guns were legal in UK and New Zealand not too long ago although restricted access. access to guns is a major issue however the majority of murders are with guns obtained illegally. There are hundreds of millions of guns already in circulation which makes it a bit futile. Gang members in Chicago just do gun exchanges once they have used them

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I wonder how you came to that conclusion. I posted a few pages back that my firearm is my last resort after calling the police, hiding, warning the burglar to leave (which I have done). So I have thankfully never used it. I hope to never use it as well just as I hope my accidental death life insurance policy at work never kicks in.
Im asking, not concluding it. I just read your post saying that without a firearm, criminals would kill you in the area you live. That sounded like it mightve happened.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

I guess it depends but yeah for most cases I agree with you and it's more useful for hunting as well if you wanna reuse it. It's much safer as well.
Absolutely.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There is nothing stopping you right now to give your arms back to the state. If you would rush to do it then, why not do it now?