Gun control

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
How would seeing guns in a guns store be unexpected? What supermarkets sell guns? None that I've ever been in. There may be large department stores that sell shotguns and sport weapons but they still observe the laws on waiting periods and buying restrictions.
Obviously seeing guns in gun stores is expected, but actual gun stores are extremely rare in the UK and the only one I have ever been in (a sport and tackle shop) only had .22 rifles on show. Shops selling handguns and shotguns on open display (Glocs, Desert Eagles etc) is completely alien to most people, let alone shops selling semi automatic weapons and more, it really is like the movies to most people. By Supermarkets, I meant shops like WalMart that have guns for sale. It is unthinkable to see a shop where you can buy kids toys or camping equipment or computers etc also selling guns. That was the point I am trying to make.

Without being offensive as that really is not my intention, it shows just how desensitised most Americans are to guns in general. A great example is the Police. It actually causes a stir if you see armed Police in the UK, on the whole, most people aren't used to seeing that, and quite often when people come home from travelling abroad, one thing that is often mentioned is seeing armed Police. It's so strange it provokes discussion.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
^ Good post, that. Very true about how little exposure we have to guns in the UK, other than on the TV really.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
It is unthinkable to see a shop where you can buy kids toys or camping equipment or computers etc also selling guns. That was the point I am trying to make.
Walmart is not a supermarket. It is a department store that sells all kinds of goods, including sporting goods. Kind of like the "general store" of yesteryear that also sold guns. You can't just grab a shotgun and take it up to the counter. It's a special section of the store under lock & key.

Are you saying that it's almost like we live in different cultures? Because we do. There are many things in England that I cannot comprehend. When I lived there I had to pay for parking, wait in line, sing songs with other men on a train and eat food in a place that sold gardening supplies. All of those things are completely alien to me and uncomfortable - it doesn't make them wrong and I adapted.

If you had grown up in the USA there's a good chance your dad would have bought you a .22 rifle when he felt you were responsible enough and taught you how to shoot tin cans. And from there you would understand how to take responsibility for a weapon, learn to care for it it, learn safety, and then graduate up to other weapons until you could hunt game with your uncles just like you go fishing. I don't consider that desensitization, our culture teaches us how to handle these things like grown men... for some reason people from Europe love to talk about guns in America. We aren't sitting around in the USA talking about how bizarre it is that people in Europe are freaked out by guns.

Maybe you guys needs a little less gun control? If you spent some time at the shooting range or in a duck blind you would realize it's not the big deal it's made out to be.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm happy having the gun control and not having the massacres, thanks.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
He's got a point. I'd definitely take the guns if we didn't have to pay for parking.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Americano is kind of right. There are three different gun clubs within a mile of my house. But I can't remember the last time I actually saw a gun. People don't just walk around like the crazy Texan from the Simpsons.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
@langster good post.

Pay for parking? Its very common here in the US too. I disagree guns are not a big deal. It's a huge deal actually to many people. And I agree on the earlier Walmart comment. You can buy groceries akin to a Tescos along with infant formula, diapers, barbie dolls all steps away from some very serious weapons. Its totally bizarre.

Alock1

That accessibility still seems crazy to me. Especially since you live in no mans land.

Alock1

Yeah why the feck did I pick up on the parking comment over that :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
And it's true, I can hardly get on a train without being forced to sing songs with other men. It's like Mama Mia every day on the London underground.
:lol:
My single memory of the London trains is absolute silence, with disapproval conveyed by sighs and pursed lips.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
@Americano whereabouts did you live in England?

to pay for parking
Depends on a number of factors. The town I live in has paid parking right in the town centre where the bus station is but retail parks etc don't require paid parking. Neither does the doctor surgery. There is a barrier but before you leave the surgery you ask someone at the reception for a free ticket to open the barrier. Its just to discourage people parking then going somewhere else as there aren't many spaces.

wait in line
Surely you've got to wait in line for stuff in America too?

sing songs with other men on a train
Doesn't happen from what I've experienced. Maybe you're talking about groups of drunk men on the way to/from football?

and eat food in a place that sold gardening supplies.
Guessing you're not talking about B&Q there and just small garden centres? Pretty sure there'll be garden centres in the US which sell food too.

Seems to me that most of those cultures/customs either occur in both countries or don't really occur at all.

Last edited:

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Walmart is not a supermarket. It is a department store that sells all kinds of goods, including sporting goods. Kind of like the "general store" of yesteryear that also sold guns. You can't just grab a shotgun and take it up to the counter. It's a special section of the store under lock & key.

Are you saying that it's almost like we live in different cultures? Because we do. There are many things in England that I cannot comprehend. When I lived there I had to pay for parking, wait in line, sing songs with other men on a train and eat food in a place that sold gardening supplies. All of those things are completely alien to me and uncomfortable - it doesn't make them wrong and I adapted.

If you had grown up in the USA there's a good chance your dad would have bought you a .22 rifle when he felt you were responsible enough and taught you how to shoot tin cans. And from there you would understand how to take responsibility for a weapon, learn to care for it it, learn safety, and then graduate up to other weapons until you could hunt game with your uncles just like you go fishing. I don't consider that desensitization, our culture teaches us how to handle these things like grown men... for some reason people from Europe love to talk about guns in America. We aren't sitting around in the USA talking about how bizarre it is that people in Europe are freaked out by guns.

Maybe you guys needs a little less gun control? If you spent some time at the shooting range or in a duck blind you would realize it's not the big deal it's made out to be.
Oh come on, that's not the same thing and you know it. I live in a very rural area, surrounded by farms and know many people who have guns and go shooting, and have shot many guns myself, but that's not the same thing. Obviously we have different cultures, and that's good for many reasons, but you can't compare eating food in a garden centre to being able to buy guns in a shop that sells computer games and BBQ equipment and bed linen. You are also on very shaky ground when you talk about being raised to handle guns professionally when this year a NINE YEAR OLD shot and killed a shooting instructor at a shooting range, with a feckin Uzi!

It's not an us v you situation, I was just pointing out how ingrained guns are in your society and how desensitised the American public is to guns. Your culture doesn't teach people those things at all, if it did you wouldn't have the problems with guns that you do. Your culture teaches people that it is their right to own a weapon and that right is hammered home every chance possible and often supersedes other rights.

People only like to talk about guns in America because of the continuous mass shootings that happen and because it makes so many headlines around the world on our news channels and on the internet.

Case in point, we had a shooting here in the UK in Hungerford, straight after the government banned the sale and ownership of semi and automatic rifles, a few years later Scotland (Dunblane) had a school shooing where 16 kids and a teacher were shot. The government then changed the firearm laws and banned handgun sales. Australia suffered a similar tragedy and completely changed their firearm laws and they haven't had an incident like that since. America has the events on a far too regular occurrence and then Sandy Hook happens and you hear people saying that teachers should be trained to shoot and then armed. Two reporters got shot this week and people are saying Journalists should be armed. Why? because your second amendment supersedes other rights, if it didn't it would be changed. Then you get people saying it can't be changed, yet the wording second AMMENDMENT should show you it already has been changed. Arguing that something can't be changed after it already has been changed previously, is nonsensical to many people, and plain batshit crazy to others.

The reason people talk about it is because we simply cannot understand why you won't change your gun laws despite how many people keep dying. Well, we do, because of money and the gun lobby, but we can't see why the pro gun supporters value their right to own a gun over peoples lives. How many lives have to be lost before it changes?

This isn't a tit for tat argument, and I'm not arguing from a high horse, or trying to make out Europe or the UK is better, because in many ways we are not, everyone has a lot to learn from each other and America has many attributes to teach the world, it's an amazing place for many different reasons, but your gun laws suck. They are closer to a third world countries laws than anywhere else, and many people in the Western world just don't get it, and never will. All the time you continue to allow kids and teachers to get shot at school or reporters to get shot on live TV and all the time people still defend their right to bear arms, this will continue.

You instantly went on the defensive and made it in to a Europe v US argument, or us Europeans thinking we are better than Americans discussion, when that simply is not the case. It's how a society values life, and how they protect life that is the point. And when that argument arises, I personally don't think pro gun rights supporters have a leg to stand on, and you won't all the time these incidents continue to happen. You can argue as much as you like and you can care or not care, but the plain truth of the matter is people are dying because of guns. Kids are dying at school, because of guns. Reporters on live TV are dying because of guns, and what any gun owner is essentially saying is that their perceived right to own these weapons is more important than the lives of those who continue to die.

If you can't work out why many people can't understand that, or get upset by that (including many Americans) then therein lies the crux of the problem.

It's quite simple. Anyone who defends the right to own a gun and continues to support the sale of these firearms is basically saying that they value that right over the lives of others, and that all the lives lost to guns are basically collateral damage and acceptable, because if it was unacceptable things would obviously change. The trouble is, the majority of Americans now think the same, but it's still not changing. I wonder why that is?

Last edited:

Prophet_of_Doom

Great post @langster

The gun control debate reminds me of the smoking debate here before it was banned in public places. During the smoking debate there was a swell of smokers claiming that it was their right to smoke in public places, despite the fact that scientific evidence proved that people, including children, were dying as a result of passive smoking. I remember one particular smoking interviewee, on being asked about the ban, claiming that statistics could prove anything and he had been smoking for 40 years and had never known anyone who had died from smoking. There's a certain arrogance to that kind of stance that you'll never be able to argue with.

VP

:lol:
Sounds like a shite culture underpinned by lot of male insecurity to be honest

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Putting aside the bizarre nonsense about waiting in line and singing on trains, let's just look at the bold bit.

If Americans are all so civilised with their guns and your fantastic culture "teaches you to handle them like grown men" why are so many people being shot and killed?

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I just realized I've spent half my life in England and half in the USA. In my lifetime I've sung on a train once... in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Crazy Americans singing on trains. Whats up with that?

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Got pulled over in Nevada, US and then the officer decided that I look different and pulled a gun before asking for my ID. This sense of insecurity among even law enforcers is coming from the ease of accessing a gun by every one. It may be a right and freedom issue but if innocent keep getting killed, it is not worth it.

Americano

@langster I want to share my cultural perspective with you, as a person that lives in the situation. Real life is very different to what is in the movies and in the papers. I know many gun owners and have never been in danger from a gun at any time in my life. I have been in danger of people under the influence of alcohol and drugs. I believe that if this was your culture you would be just as comfortable as I am, and understand why we live this way.

@Damien mostly near Sheffield... just my lighthearted attempt to show the differences in culture. I don't want to rant but...

Garden Centre. I was in more than one place that I literally walked through a huge megastore full of poppies, rakes, and potting soil to find an entire restaurant in the back that baked its own pies and made its own chutney. People would go there just to eat, not caring at all that the primary business was landscaping. I was told we had to go to the garden center and next thing I know, fanned melon. It makes my blood boil, because it makes no sense. It would be like walking through a huge car repair garage to get to a dance studio for a ballet lesson. Wake up England!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I laughed at "singing on trains"

@Americano when I mentioned guns being prolific, I didn't mean out in public. I meant that a large amount of the population will be around guns, whether at a private residence, or at the range, or hunting, or at a gun show. Or at Walmart.

Americano

If Americans are all so civilised with their guns and your fantastic culture "teaches you to handle them like grown men" why are so many people being shot and killed?
I think undiagnosed/untreated mental illness is a big factor in many of the shootings that make the news. People that have schizophrenic breaks or borderline personality or delusions will sometimes use guns to act out and preventing that is a challenge that I don't have an answer for.

Behind that, crime.

It may be a punchline to some people, but passing along the traditions of sport shooting & self-defense is a way of life for our families. I want to show you that most of us take the responsibility extremely seriously.

@adexkola sorry for not understanding your point.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The culture of self-defence/defence of property is a big part of it. Americans often talk about the thing they keep in their house, for if they need to fight/scare off intruders, as a responsibility. Over here, people get strange looks if they say they keep anything in their house specifically for self defence. I don't think most of us have a go to 'thing I grab if there's a worrying noise from downstairs'. If a mad axe murderer breaks in right now, my best options are a tin full of copper coins or a wireless keyboard.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I think undiagnosed/untreated mental illness is a big factor in many of the shootings that make the news. People that have schizophrenic breaks or borderline personality or delusions will sometimes use guns to act out and preventing that is a challenge that I don't have an answer for.
This is gonna sound crazy, it's way out of left field so bear with me, but how about getting rid of the guns?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Oh come on, that's not the same thing and you know it. I live in a very rural area, surrounded by farms and know many people who have guns and go shooting, and have shot many guns myself, but that's not the same thing. Obviously we have different cultures, and that's good for many reasons, but you can't compare eating food in a garden centre to being able to buy guns in a shop that sells computer games and BBQ equipment and bed linen. You are also on very shaky ground when you talk about being raised to handle guns professionally when this year a NINE YEAR OLD shot and killed a shooting instructor at a shooting range, with a feckin Uzi!

It's not an us v you situation, I was just pointing out how ingrained guns are in your society and how desensitised the American public is to guns. Your culture doesn't teach people those things at all, if it did you wouldn't have the problems with guns that you do. Your culture teaches people that it is their right to own a weapon and that right is hammered home every chance possible and often supersedes other rights.

People only like to talk about guns in America because of the continuous mass shootings that happen and because it makes so many headlines around the world on our news channels and on the internet.

Case in point, we had a shooting here in the UK in Hungerford, straight after the government banned the sale and ownership of semi and automatic rifles, a few years later Scotland (Dunblane) had a school shooing where 16 kids and a teacher were shot. The government then changed the firearm laws and banned handgun sales. Australia suffered a similar tragedy and completely changed their firearm laws and they haven't had an incident like that since. America has the events on a far too regular occurrence and then Sandy Hook happens and you hear people saying that teachers should be trained to shoot and then armed. Two reporters got shot this week and people are saying Journalists should be armed. Why? because your second amendment supersedes other rights, if it didn't it would be changed. Then you get people saying it can't be changed, yet the wording second AMMENDMENT should show you it already has been changed. Arguing that something can't be changed after it already has been changed previously, is nonsensical to many people, and plain batshit crazy to others.

The reason people talk about it is because we simply cannot understand why you won't change your gun laws despite how many people keep dying. Well, we do, because of money and the gun lobby, but we can't see why the pro gun supporters value their right to own a gun over peoples lives. How many lives have to be lost before it changes?

This isn't a tit for tat argument, and I'm not arguing from a high horse, or trying to make out Europe or the UK is better, because in many ways we are not, everyone has a lot to learn from each other and America has many attributes to teach the world, it's an amazing place for many different reasons, but your gun laws suck. They are closer to a third world countries laws than anywhere else, and many people in the Western world just don't get it, and never will. All the time you continue to allow kids and teachers to get shot at school or reporters to get shot on live TV and all the time people still defend their right to bear arms, this will continue.

You instantly went on the defensive and made it in to a Europe v US argument, or us Europeans thinking we are better than Americans discussion, when that simply is not the case. It's how a society values life, and how they protect life that is the point. And when that argument arises, I personally don't think pro gun rights supporters have a leg to stand on, and you won't all the time these incidents continue to happen. You can argue as much as you like and you can care or not care, but the plain truth of the matter is people are dying because of guns. Kids are dying at school, because of guns. Reporters on live TV are dying because of guns, and what any gun owner is essentially saying is that their perceived right to own these weapons is more important than the lives of those who continue to die.

If you can't work out why many people can't understand that, or get upset by that (including many Americans) then therein lies the crux of the problem.

It's quite simple. Anyone who defends the right to own a gun and continues to support the sale of these firearms is basically saying that they value that right over the lives of others, and that all the lives lost to guns are basically collateral damage and acceptable, because if it was unacceptable things would obviously change. The trouble is, the majority of Americans now think the same, but it's still not changing. I wonder why that is?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I grew up with guns. Luckily I'm still alive and hate the fecking things.

And a topical anecdote. A friend of my son's grandparents own a farm. Last weekend the caught a feral pig in a trap. They rushed back to the farmhouse and one of them got the gun and the other the bullets. As the grandfather prepared to load the gun the Grandmother got the bullets. As she brought the bullets the Grandfather shot her through the thigh by accident not knowing that there was a shell in the breech. Happens every fecking day of the week although usually with more fatal results.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's quite simple. Anyone who defends the right to own a gun and continues to support the sale of these firearms is basically saying that they value that right over the lives of others, and that all the lives lost to guns are basically collateral damage and acceptable, because if it was unacceptable things would obviously change.
Yes. That was made abundantly clear after Sandy Hook, Columbine, etc...

The trouble is, the majority of Americans now think the same, but it's still not changing. I wonder why that is?
Maybe a numerical majority of Americans believe the current state of gun violence is unacceptable, but that cannot be said for the geographical majority, which is what matters at the end of the day.

Maybe when Scalia and Thomas feck off the Supreme Court will issue a ruling that adequately restricts the 2nd amendment to an actual militia, and strike down the individual clause. Not sure if that is possible given recent rulings to the contrary... has the Court ever done a 180 so fast? They seem careful to stick to tradition.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again

Just wanted to say that though I´ve lived most my life outside, but I grew up (18 years) in the 70s and 80s in L.A. and knew very few people who were into guns, and definitely no dads who bought their kids a 22, or taught them about guns and gun safety. That sounds insane. I did´t know any kid with a gun. Surely there were a few, but to generalize and that a good chance your dad would´ve . . . "bought you a .22 rifle when he felt you were responsible enough and taught you how to shoot tin cans. And from there you would understand how to take responsibility for a weapon, learn to care for it it, learn safety, and then graduate up to other weapons" . . . sounds so fecking preposterous. To make that generalization is patently false. That is just a small minority of people.

And you had to pay for parking everywhere.

When I was younger you heard about gun control from the NRA because they were for it cause militant blacks started pushing back against the suppression of their civil rights by brandishing arms and talking about "by any means necessary." Conservative white people could´t push hard enough for gun control at that time.

The whole thing about guns and the second amendment has been a massive right wing push, just like abortion, to get votes; and $ for the arms industry, as well as the fear mongering bollocks that liberals were coming after their guns. It´s pretty obvious who are obsessing about guns now, and so much of it is based on that same fear mongering - self protection (cue: from minorities) and the same they´re gonna take `em away crap. And now the whole tea party guns-for-tyranny-from-the-gov thing would be laughable if it were´t so disgusting. And now it´s turning into a conservative-cred thing to be all gunny. Watching Mitch McConnell or Ted Cruz waving around firearms is so false and pathetic.

This whole movement started during the Reagan years, and you need only look to where Reagan kicked off his first presidential campaign to get the gist of what was to come in the hard conservative in America. He began his run for the presidency in of all places, in the Mississippi county famous for having those three civil rights workers executed (as dramatized in Mississippi Burning). Why there Ronald, of all places? Hmm. It´s not rocket science to understand this and the rise of the second amendment white folk that was to come, and the crowning of St. Ronald.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Got pulled over in Nevada, US and then the officer decided that I look different and pulled a gun before asking for my ID. This sense of insecurity among even law enforcers is coming from the ease of accessing a gun by every one. It may be a right and freedom issue but if innocent keep getting killed, it is not worth it.
Very true. Living in an armed society changes the existential calculus of most cops to where even routine traffic stops are in their minds, potential life or death situations.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I grew up with guns. Luckily I'm still alive and hate the fecking things.

And a topical anecdote. A friend of my son's grandparents own a farm. Last weekend the caught a feral pig in a trap. They rushed back to the farmhouse and one of them got the gun and the other the bullets. As the grandfather prepared to load the gun the Grandmother got the bullets. As she brought the bullets the Grandfather shot her through the thigh by accident not knowing that there was a shell in the breech. Happens every fecking day of the week although usually with more fatal results.
:eek: those are serious errors. I wonder if it was laziness/arrogance or adrenaline/nerves that caused him to ignore basic gun safety protocols.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Being mentally ill has become so desensitised in America you'd think the majority of their population is mentally ill, since it's so commonly the only reason behind these incidents.

Well, that's the propaganda that allows them to feel better about their failed guns policy.

Americano

This is gonna sound crazy, it's way out of left field so bear with me, but how about getting rid of the guns?
By the same token, how about overturning your gun control laws and getting more guns?

Speaking practically, after you get the Bill Of Rights changed, how would you go about rounding up all those guns from an armed population?

Just wanted to say that though I´ve lived most my life outside, but I grew up (18 years) in the 70s and 80s in L.A. and knew very few people who were into guns, and definitely no dads who bought their kids a 22, or taught them about guns and gun safety. That sounds insane. I did´t know any kid with a gun.
Most people start learning marksmanship with a .22 rifle in preparation to learn to hunt and shoot for sport with friends and family. Who better to learn from than your dad? In urban LA there probably isn't much game to shoot but in places like Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, outdoorsmanship/hunting is an extremely popular pursuit.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Most people start learning marksmanship with a .22 rifle in preparation to learn to hunt and shoot for sport with friends and family. Who better to learn from than your dad? In urban LA there probably isn't much game to shoot but in places like Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, outdoorsmanship/hunting is an extremely popular pursuit.
Just seemed like you´re making this huge generalization about the US. By far the majority of the population lives in urban areas and are not into guns nor getting their kids into them. I admit it´s probably bigger now that conservative America has made such a huge propaganda deal out of it and to get your right wing cred you need to be into to it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
By the same token, how about overturning your gun control laws and getting more guns?

Speaking practically, after you get the Bill Of Rights changed, how would you go about rounding up all those guns from an armed population?
The Bill of Rights can be changed, as much as the gun nuts try to pretend otherwise, the clue is in the word 'amendment'.

As for rounding up the guns already out there, once they are made illegal you have an amnesty and then anyone found in possession of one is prosecuted.

Will it be an easy process? Of course not. Is it the only real option and better than the current state of affairs, absofeckinglutely.

It's also been done before in other countries, so let's not pretend it's impossible to change things.

No matter how much you or your buddies might like your guns, that holds no meaning when held up against the number of people being killed by guns every day, week, month and year.

There has to be a change, and it has to happen now. Repeal that arcane amendment and in a few generations the problem is gone.

Of course it'll never happen, because to too many people their love of their gun is more important than the lives of other people.