Gun control

Americano

Make America Great Again!
There has to be a change, and it has to happen now. Repeal that arcane amendment and in a few generations the problem is gone.
While I understand what you are trying to say, I can't deny my amusement at being told by English people that we must give up our guns. Just a couple of hundred years too late.

Projecting your own values onto another culture is bound to lead to misunderstanding, and that's why we find your suggestion as ridiculous as you find mine. That's what I'm really trying to communicate. We have our way of life and you have yours. I always thought of English people as having a high regard for tradition and history and principle, and that's what we're getting into here. The very stuff that makes us who we are. You still have that deadly motorcycle race on the Isle Of Man, don't you?

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Putting aside the bizarre nonsense about waiting in line and singing on trains, let's just look at the bold bit.

If Americans are all so civilised with their guns and your fantastic culture "teaches you to handle them like grown men" why are so many people being shot and killed?
Not everybody's civilized

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
While I understand what you are trying to say, I can't deny my amusement at being told by English people that we must give up our guns. Just a couple of hundred years too late.

Projecting your own values onto another culture is bound to lead to misunderstanding, and that's why we find your suggestion as ridiculous as you find mine. That's what I'm really trying to communicate. We have our way of life and you have yours. I always thought of English people as having a high regard for tradition and history and principle, and that's what we're getting into here. The very stuff that makes us who we are. You still have that deadly motorcycle race on the Isle Of Man, don't you?
The fact that you just compared voluntary entry to a dangerous motorcycle race to thousands of innocent people being killed by guns makes it pretty obvious that you are incapable of reason, much like many of your countrymen, which is why your laws will not change and why people will continue to die.

You keep dodging the facts and telling yourself that you're on the right side of the debate all you like, but remember this; your love for tradition and culture surrounding guns is costing people's lives.

barros

Just seemed like you´re making this huge generalization about the US. By far the majority of the population lives in urban areas and are not into guns nor getting their kids into them. I admit it´s probably bigger now that conservative America has made such a huge propaganda deal out of it and to get your right wing cred you need to be into to it.
This gun control issue is doing the same, Walmart doesn't sale guns in new jersey, is not easy to get a gun in new jersey and I bet you we have more states with the same laws as New Jersey, but reading some messages I would think we live in a society full of crime, robberies, rapes, etc.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
The fact that you just compared voluntary entry to a dangerous motorcycle race to thousands of innocent people being killed by guns makes it pretty obvious that you are incapable of reason, much like many of your countrymen, which is why your laws will not change and why people will continue to die.

You keep dodging the facts and telling yourself that you're on the right side of the debate all you like, but remember this; your love for tradition and culture surrounding guns is costing people's lives.
It's actually quite similar, in that innocent spectators are killed and injured by the riders. I've always understood that the race was fiercely traditional and that's why I use it as an example. Where do you draw the line between individual liberty and personal safety? There is no easy answer.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jun/08/markoliver

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
:eek: those are serious errors. I wonder if it was laziness/arrogance or adrenaline/nerves that caused him to ignore basic gun safety protocols.
Old age, bad luck (a round accidentally left in the gun) or who knows? Keeping the gun and bullets in separate places for safety also probably contributed yet keeping the gun on the top of a wardrobe didn't. Luckily it was just a soft tissue injury to the outer thigh. Nothing vital hit.

They are now selling the farm. Their kids have wanted them to sell for ages but not like this.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I own guns and like I said before we need changes but not banning guns.
Because that would get in the way of your hobby, right? To hell with the number of people dying.

It's actually quite similar, in that innocent spectators are killed and injured by the riders. I've always understood that the race was fiercely traditional and that's why I use it as an example. Where do you draw the line between individual liberty and personal safety? There is no easy answer.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jun/08/markoliver
Unless you're suggesting that the people killed by guns had attended fire fights in full knowledge of the potential risks then you have absolutely no point. It's a stupid comparison.

On those numbers we have terrorist attacks, people killed by police and killing by self defense, can you say the same about the countries on that list?
If you take away the guns, then people can't get shot. It's really that simple.

Some people like guns, and I can understand that completely, but that needs to take a back seat when we're talking about thousands and thousands of people dying every year.

I can't find anything more recent than April so it'll be even worse by now, but it April there had been 82,033 gun deaths since Sandy Hook.

That is less than 2.5 years.

America's watershed moment has gone, as a country you've decided that your fondness for firearms is more important than people's lives.

That's fecked up.

barros

:lol::lol: oh feck me, that list of 'reasons', that's it, I'm done, no sense will be found here.
Sure you don't like anything that show UK is more violent than the US, but guess what I live safer here than any of you in UK, besides the crazy bastards who kills to make "history" most of the murders are between gang members which most the people won't give a fecking fly about it.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Driving small cramped cars causes people to become violent, I've heard it all now. :lol:

Indeed. The whole thing is a misleading pile of shite anyway, as proved in @senorgregster's link.
Last time he provided stats like that, it had the UK full of con artists or something with the USA having near zero. How that relates to guns I don't know.

Many crimes are terribly underreported here in the US.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/21/rape-study-report-america-us_n_4310765.html
Now, perhaps the same underreporting goes on in the UK but it shows how little you can compare countries which have different methods.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Last time he provided stats like that, it had the UK full of con artists or something with the USA having near zero. How that relates to guns I don't know.
Many crimes are terribly underreported here in the US.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/21/rape-study-report-america-us_n_4310765.html
Now, perhaps the same underreporting goes on in the UK but it shows how little you can compare countries which have different methods.
I agree, especially with the last part. It's a pointless argument anyway. I can't get my head around it at all, especially not after Sandy Hook. Little children and their teachers, killed at school where they should be safe and still nothing changes. Then you get the imbeciles saying that teachers should be armed to prevent more incidents like this. Two reporters shot on live TV and the same morons say they should arm reporters. You just know if a mass shooting happened in a Hospital they would be calling for Doctors and Nurses to be armed too. Where would it end? The people saying shit like that really would be all for everyone being armed all the time.
Again, all summed up perfectly in @Wibble's post.
I can see we have a couple of the 10% that would get extremely angry watching it.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Old age, bad luck (a round accidentally left in the gun) or who knows? Keeping the gun and bullets in separate places for safety also probably contributed yet keeping the gun on the top of a wardrobe didn't. Luckily it was just a soft tissue injury to the outer thigh. Nothing vital hit.

They are now selling the farm. Their kids have wanted them to sell for ages but not like this.
To be fair it's typical for farmers to leave a round in the chamber and not generally frowned upon due to their circumstances.

You're probably right about old age being a contributing factor, though. Glad the old dear is ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The didn't leave a round in the chamber normally. She is very lucky. At her age especially. Hit a thigh bone and you don't walk again even if you don't bleed to death. And of course it could have hit her in the head, heart, another vital organ or an artery.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://dispellingthemythukvsusguns.wordpress.com

While it becomes clear that certain types of offenses are marginally higher in the UK than in the US (robbery and knife crime being more likely in the UK by an order of 1.1x and 1.27x respectively) a number of other, more serious offenses, are both marginally and substantially higher in the US. Rape of a female is 1.02x more likely in the US, while theft of a vehicle is 1.29x more likely. More disturbingly, burglaryis significantly higher at 1.52x more likely to occur in the US. However, it is at the considerably more, well, violent crimes that America really supersedes England and Wales into its own class. In the United States, you are 6.9x more likely to be the victim of aggravated assault resulting in serious injury than in the UK. You are4.03x more likely to be murdered than in the UK. And more staggeringly (though not surprising) you are 35.2x more likely to be shot dead in the Unites States than in the UK. Before anybody asks, no, these do not take into account justifiable homicide and other “acceptable shootings”, nor do murders for that matter:

Also, I can't get my head around those causes for crime, surely surely surely that's a joke?

EDIT: double post :/

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/det...h-concealed-carry-license-he-tried-to-hold-up

DETROIT (WXYZ) - Police say a 17-year-old remains in the hospital in critical condition after the young father he tried robbing shot him several times.

It happened late Wednesday afternoon near the corner of Warren and Grayton on the city's east side.

Angela Lanier tells 7 Action News her 24-year-old son Joe fired his gun when the teenager tried robbing him while he was sitting in his car. She says he was on the job as an exterminator when the teenager pulled a gun on him for his sunglasses.

Joe Lanier says, "The boy tried to rob me, and I shot him. That's what happened."

He also went on to say, "That's why he's in the hospital and not me."

Lanier has a concealed carry license and his mother is an instructor herself, who says she's taught all of her sons how to responsibly operate a gun.

Her son fired his gun seven times. The windows of his car were blown out.

Police are still investigating.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
It's a different story in states where one is allowed to carry, of course.
It's about what's safe and what isn't.... most of the things on that list are perfectly legal, just not a very good idea.

Driving around with a loaded pistol in your car isn't responsible, regardless of what his mummy says and regardless of what country you're in, IMO.

We also have very few gun deaths in Ireland.

Eyepopper

I went fox hunting one night with a farmer who put a loaded shotgun in the back of the jeep. Words were had, and he accused me of being over dramatic.

Later that night he got us lost in the woods, in the dark... then the bulbs in the lamps died because he hadn't charged them fully.

Needless to say, I didn't repeat the experience.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Got my firearms insurance renewal in the post today.. they send you this

Not commenting on whether it makes sense (IMO it doesn't, factoring in possible road rage, theft), but one can legally carry firearms in a vehicle in many states in the US.

Several bullets flying around some neighborhood possibly killing anyone because he didn't want to lose his sunglasses.... "responsible"
Maybe they were RayBans

Eyepopper

Not commenting on whether it makes sense (IMO it doesn't, factoring in possible road rage, theft), but one can legally carry firearms in a vehicle in many states in the US.
One can legally shove a red hot poker up ones arse too... generally not a good idea though.

Red-Jeff

Maybe they were RayBans
If that were the case I would understand, I might take someone's life if they tried to take my RayBans. Guess a little more investigation should be done and I should reserve my judgement.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's about what's safe and what isn't.... most of the things on that list are perfectly legal, just not a very good idea.

Driving around with a loaded pistol in your car isn't responsible, regardless of what his mummy says and regardless of what country you're in, IMO.

We also have very few gun deaths in Ireland.
Sure, but this is the United States we're talking about. Safe and guns go together like gays and church there.