g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gun shots outside Parliament: Police shoot assailant following car attack on Westminster Bridge

CallyRed

fecking hell, went across Westminster bridge at 1 on my lunchtime run.

Smores

Nutters will always find a way to do harm if they so wish. Plenty of London could do with more pedestrians only zones though for a number of reasons

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Terrible, and as someone else said, how can you avoid a nutter getting into a car!
You can't. It's unfortunate but that's how it is.

Unmutual

What's actually happened then?
Latest report seems to be a guy in a car ran down around a dozen pedestrians on Westminster Bridge, got out and attacked a police officer with a knife before being shot.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Vehicles can be driven reasonably fast over Westminster Bridge, provided that the traffic is light enough; i hope such wasn't the case at the time.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Really hope this attack wasn't carried out by a refugee - ukip and the far right would have a field day.

Crossie

Supports
The BBC quotes the Commons Leader that the attacker was shot by the police. The police however listed a couple of areas (mostly bridges) which people should still avoid.

I assume that is to be sure that there are no additional attackers or accomplices of the attacker.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Presumably they'll factor this into the refurbishment process to some extent, as well as the temporary venue for MPs while building work is underway.

Crossie

Supports
Being treated as terrorism until proven otherwise. Now checking everywhere and on alert in case of more attackers.

We haven't heard much about the injured yet.
According to BBC at least 4, possibly up to 12.
Edit: No mention of severity of injuries.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I hate this. Really hope it's just one lone nutjob, with no links to any groups.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Authorities are obviously activating pre planned response plans to extol this kind of attack in this area. Seems very organised.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Did Sky News really need to show a picture of someone lying at the foot of the stairs into Westminster Station?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The BBC quotes the Commons Leader that the attacker was shot by the police. The police however listed a couple of areas (mostly bridges) which people should still avoid.

I assume that is to be sure that there are no additional attackers or accomplices of the attacker.
sounds like it was a totally failed attempt, and that all the precautions have worked to totally minimise any genuine threat.

predator

Youth NITK
Sad thing to say but I am genuinely desensitised by now. If anything I kind of expect these attacks to occur.

I just hope the least amount of damage possible was done.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
sounds like it was a totally failed attempt, and that all the precautions have worked to totally minimise any genuine threat.
Yes...although it wouldn't hurt if they had the concrete barriers all of the way along the bridge pavement, from bank to bank.