Gun shots outside Parliament: Police shoot assailant following car attack on Westminster Bridge

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Today is a reminder of how lucky we are not to have widespread, easy-access gun ownership in this country.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
You can't really have a singular of 5 people ran down though or ran over. Mowed down just makes it seem video gamey and unnecessary. Like when you say somebody was butchered, it's unnecessary and just creates too vivid an image.
We probably disagree I think. What about 'ploughed into'?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Today is a reminder of how lucky we are not to have widespread, easy-access gun ownership in this country.
Well, maybe if the attacked policeman had one, wouldn't be so bad.

Shot man 'ignored police warning'
Posted at16:40

Daily Mail journalist Quentin Letts whose office overlooks the scene told the BBC of the moment police shot the man.

"This man had something in his hand, it looked like a stick of some sort and he was challenged by a couple of policemen in yellow jackets and one of the yellow-jacketed policemen fell down.

"We could see the man in black moving his arm in a way that suggested he was either stabbing or striking the yellow-jacketed policeman, and one of the policemen then ran to get help, which was very quick to come and as this attacker was running towards the entrance used by MPs to get into the House of Commons.

"As he was running he ran, about I'd say 15 yard perhaps, two plain clothes guys with guns shouted at him what sounded like a warning, he ignored it and they shot two or three times and he fell."

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
We probably disagree I think. What about 'ploughed into'?
Again, to me it's too sensationalist - though you're a journalist aren't you? So I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. Not that I'm saying you're all the same, but just that you're more likely to have their mindset. It just smacks of trying to make something quite serious and disturbing into something sexy/more gruesome sounding which is out of place.

Fully Fledged

Sky News has just lost my interest for the day:

Presenter: "We are going to show you some sensitive images now. This is a serious incident, and we feel you need to see the reality of events."

:(
The one at the bottom of the stairs is seriously bad. The thing that gets me is that their is a man lying there in a critical condition and all people do is take images with their phones. What have we become?

Drifter

American
The shame is that some people are not interested unless they get their fix of seeing injured and dead bodies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Again, to me it's too sensationalist - though you're a journalist aren't you? So I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. Not that I'm saying you're all the same, but just that you're more likely to have their mindset. It just smacks of trying to make something quite serious and disturbing into something sexy/more gruesome sounding which is out of place.
I've got to agree on this one. I know Jippy knows his stuff on this, but it does paint a nasty picture unnecessarily, and contributes to the fear mongering.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I see that more police are moving into the area, are they worried about more attacks?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The shame is that some people are not interested unless they get their fix of seeing injured and dead bodies.
I swear this must be some kind of primal instinct though (don't know why it would be however). It's a weirdly strong curiosity for a lot of people.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yes, but I write about finance. We probably are all guilty of slipping into journalese at times tbh.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well, maybe if the attacked policeman had one, wouldn't be so bad.

Shot man 'ignored police warning'
Posted at16:40

Daily Mail journalist Quentin Letts whose office overlooks the scene told the BBC of the moment police shot the man.

"This man had something in his hand, it looked like a stick of some sort and he was challenged by a couple of policemen in yellow jackets and one of the yellow-jacketed policemen fell down.

"We could see the man in black moving his arm in a way that suggested he was either stabbing or striking the yellow-jacketed policeman, and one of the policemen then ran to get help, which was very quick to come and as this attacker was running towards the entrance used by MPs to get into the House of Commons.

"As he was running he ran, about I'd say 15 yard perhaps, two plain clothes guys with guns shouted at him what sounded like a warning, he ignored it and they shot two or three times and he fell."
This is a very strange attack - A man with a knife has no chance whatsoever of impregnating parliament security ... and yet seemingly was prepared to die. Why would he be prepared to die, with so little return on his 'sacrifice'

what is the point of this attack ... was it simply to create a temporary global news story? Is it a sleight of hand intended to focus attention whilst something bigger is happening elsewhere?

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

Why's there such a huge task force being deployed now? Presumably its all over?
They believe there is a suspect package in the car. Plus the recent trend has been for multiple small incidents taking place in close proximity in a short period of time. They are on high alert for other possible attacks.

jackofalltrades

They believe there is a suspect package in the car. Plus the recent trend has been for multiple small incidents taking place in close proximity in a short period of time. They are on high alert for other possible attacks.
Exactly, plus there's a game at Wembley tonight. They simply do not know whether it's over or ongoing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's really sad, I hope we will be able to know why he did that.

Eire Red United

Precautionary I'd assume. Hopefully it's just a lone wolf attack but they have to be prepared in case it wasn't and there's more attacks to come.

MTF

This is a very strange attack - A man with a knife has no chance whatsoever of impregnating parliament security ... and yet seemingly was prepared to die. Why would he be prepared to die, with so little return on his 'sacrifice'

what is the point of this attack ... was it simply to create a temporary global news story? Is it a slight of hand intended to focus attention whilst something bigger is happening elsewhere?
We've seen a few of these before, esp in France. Remember the Louvre incident, and another at police station. Even Lee Rigby incident in the UK too... it's just stupid, but not usually part of something larger.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The one at the bottom of the stairs is seriously bad. The thing that gets me is that their is a man lying there in a critical condition and all people do is take images with their phones. What have we become?
If it is possible that a victim could be identified by a loved one at home, the media shouldn't be going out of their way to show it. That would be starring position at least. It's not like the bodies are are distant in the background, but rather the focal point.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Attacking the parliament with a gun would have the same result ... shot by the police, maybe the police that's not armed would be shot but at the end would be the same and besides that a car does a damn good job.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm kind of surprised a regular police officer would be first to confront someone in an instance like this. You'd think armed would be considering the location. Props for the way it's been handled in general though.

MTF

Cynical me: opportunity to showcase response times and capabilities to the people who vote to fund/refund said taskforce.