Gun shots outside Parliament: Police shoot assailant following car attack on Westminster Bridge

Duafc

Village Lemon
I'm kind of surprised a regular police officer would be first to confront someone in an instance like this. You'd think armed would be considering the location. Props for the way it's been handled in general though.
I imagine it was totally spontaneous and therefore just the closest officer at the time. Any police officer would be failing in their duty not to confront someone in this situation. When lives are at risk you don't get the luxury of waiting for someone else.

Which is not to say the first responders weren't very brave in what they have done.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
I'm kind of surprised a regular police officer would be first to confront someone in an instance like this. You'd think armed would be considering the location. Props for the way it's been handled in general though.
They should have only armed police there, unarmed police officers are an easy target for terrorists.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Two confirmed dead now.

hobbers

Have to remember there's now a huge number of high value targets locked down in one location following an incident that has the hallmarks of a diversionary attack. No surprise they'd go full lockdown. Will no doubt want to sweep every inch of Parliament and the surrounding area.

Dobba

She just did it again! Managed to turn 'being treated as a terrorist incident until they know otherwise' into 'two people have been reported as dead as a result of this terrorist incident" in the space of a couple of sentences.

Someone needs to inform the no doubt dozens of detectives looking into things such as motives, or evidence of links to terrorism groups, that they're wasting their time. Burley has conducted it all already.

jackofalltrades

This is a very strange attack - A man with a knife has no chance whatsoever of impregnating parliament security ... and yet seemingly was prepared to die. Why would he be prepared to die, with so little return on his 'sacrifice'

what is the point of this attack ... was it simply to create a temporary global news story? Is it a slight of hand intended to focus attention whilst something bigger is happening elsewhere?
If it's a lone wolf job it could be someone in a frenzied state who hasn't really thought about how to go about doing as much damage as possible. It doesn't take much imagination to dream up an attack of the kind done in Nice but we should be thankful that it wasn't worse.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I swear this must be some kind of primal instinct though (don't know why it would be however). It's a weirdly strong curiosity for a lot of people.
Is it though? We can only watch what they show, if they don't show injured people, we won't look at them.

Do you think that some people are shouting at the screen "Show us some dead bodies ffs!"

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
moment police opened fire outside of #Parliament in this eyewitness video captured by Taiwanese tourist Aaron Tsang

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I've walked over that bridge and used those very stairs so many times, and go to St Thomas' regularly. It's one of those incidents where you can all too easily picture yourself being involved, or someone you know personally.

ETA: Unusually, if compared to past incidents (Stockwell tube for instance), there has been little speculation on the identity of the culprit. The media are being cautious to this extent at least.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I've walked over that bridge and used those very stairs so many times, and go to St Thomas' regularly. It's one of those incidents where you can all too easily picture yourself being involved, or someone you know personally.
I was walking over the bridge from Waterloo to Embankment just an hour before!

lewwoo

Donald and Nigel tweeting bile in 5...4...3...
I hate to say this but this will be definitely played into this Trump/Obama/GCHQ thing
Trump has apparently been briefed. We'll probably be dragged into his war against bridges by the end of the week.
They are taking too much time to say was a terrorist attack and Trump has his finger tired waiting to click on his twitter :lol:
Trump tourettes. Im surprised the bbc haven't mentioned him yet either.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Kay Burley is as sensitive as a tank.

I liked Scotland Yard's statement (broadcasted on BBC). Their spox stressed they heard different versions from witnesses about what has happened and that Scotland Yard is (obviously) investigating. He repeated to stay away from certain areas, mainly for reasons to make way for ambulance, police etc to help or investigate the scene.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Haven't heard much about the injuries of the officer, hopefully they're doing okay.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
They would not approach him until bomb squad disposal arrived

They would be gonners if he was strapped
This doesn't make sense, how would they know without a sweep?

In any case, I was leaving London as this kicked off, I'm glad I chose the Circular. On the way back there was an MP evacuated giving an interview on the radio and all he could say was "I hope we are let back in to get our stuff before home time". Yeah, great.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
NSFW image of the assailant

Am fascinated to know what kit the security police have on them (Policeman on extreme left of photo and Policeman in middle of photo kneeling down on one knee (cropped blonde hair). Exactly what weaponry, gadgets and kit do these guys have?