Gyliano van Velzen

Cold_Boy

Anyone really impressed with this lad in the last few games?

Looks like a class prospect.

jeston

Yep. Getting better every game it seems. Saw on twitter he wasn't happy about being left out for the Liverpool game! Which is quite nice to see.

Decotron

Yep. Getting better every game it seems. Saw on twitter he wasn't happy about being left out for the Liverpool game! Which is quite nice to see.
His attitude has impressed me as much as the obvious skill factor. His efforts playing up top on his own against top opposition was excellent. Im sure that type of application will stand him in good stead for the future

Decotron

I'm not sure who he reminds me of most, Chris Waddle or Steve McManaman. His elegant, lanky dribbling style is very like Waddle but the powder-puff shot is pure McManaman.
At the risk of repeating a point I made above his attitude has impressed me as much as anything else. He's been thrown in at the deep end in terms of playing upfront and has done very well all things considered.

Drainy

I remember watching thoose footie before we signed him.. he was a lanky monster dribbling his way all over the left flank..
Is he still doing that today? ;)
we don't use him in the left flank that much do we?
Yes, we use him on the left. Hes been the first choice left winger for the u18s, except when Will Keane and John Cofie were injured where he was forced up front.

He plays a lot like those videos actually, which frustrates a lot of people when watching the games live.
I think hes a lot better than most fans give him credit for, and hes starting to settle in, work hard and play some good stuff. Just needs to learn when to release the ball and keep his head up to look for runners.

Technically he is sound and when he starts to bulk up he could become quite a powerful runner. I reckon he could become a good player.

lysglimt

Scout
I don't like him at all - he is technically gifted, but he is one of those players who frustrate team-mates to hell. They time their runs for his crosses - the problem is that he suddenly decides to dribble a bit more and then cross.

he has the ability to be really good - but he didn't impress me this season

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I don't like him at all - he is technically gifted, but he is one of those players who frustrate team-mates to hell. They time their runs for his crosses - the problem is that he suddenly decides to dribble a bit more and then cross.

Good. He is a mere raw teenager. He has a long way to go before we start using words like impressed with his play. What we should be happy about is he is technically gifted. The rest will be up to the coaching staff and his hard work.

lysglimt

Scout
Good. He is a mere raw teenager. He has a long way to go before we start using words like impressed with his play. What we should be happy about is he is technically gifted. The rest will be up to the coaching staff and his hard work.
Yes but that also means that tactically - he has a lot of catching up to do. But I also have a problem understanding how he would fit into our current playing style. It's quite clear that Ferguson is basing more and more of his tactics on 2-3 very quick strikers and wingers (depending on 4-3-3 or 4-4-2)

Van Velzen is tricky, technically good - but he is not very quick

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He improved but obviously he needs to work a lot on end product. The standards tougher here but you know if he can stand out then he'll be a good player because it is very difficult to stand out in this group. We've outstanding prospects, so if you are standing out you're being effective. Next season, with a proper pre season and after a season getting to know the other players, hopefully we'll see a more productive performance

Yes but that also means that tactically - he has a lot of catching up to do. But I also have a problem understanding how he would fit into our current playing style. It's quite clear that Ferguson is basing more and more of his tactics on 2-3 very quick strikers and wingers (depending on 4-3-3 or 4-4-2)

Van Velzen is tricky, technically good - but he is not very quick
That is why we have to wait and see where this kid ends up. It is too early to tell what he may or may not become due to how raw he is and it being a new culture he had had to adopt too. Because with his on the ball ability, if he develops the football intelligence to go with it, his pace wont matter too much in all honesty. I get your views on him though.

datura

That is why we have to wait and see where this kid ends up. It is too early to tell what he may or may not become due to how raw he is and it being a new culture he had had to adopt too. Because with his on the ball ability, if he develops the football intelligence to go with it, his pace wont matter too much in all honesty. I get your views on him though.
He's not that raw at all. He's just taken a while to settle in and adapt to English football. With a full pre-season behind him and and the experience from this year he should be an important player for the Academy this year as one of the more senior players in a young team.

He's not that raw at all. He's just taken a while to settle in and adapt to English football. With a full pre-season behind him and and the experience from this year he should be an important player for the Academy this year as one of the more senior players in a young team.
Raw Tbh doesn't capture what I meant. I should have just stuck to saying he is just a teenager with huge talent an loads of time before we start worrying about his possible first team fate. We will be able to judge him proper, as you said, in around a year's time.

Cold_Boy

That's not really a odd thing/characteristic for a young talented winger.

The best thing is that he is so technically gifted which means he has a good chance if he works hard.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I think a lot of people underestimate his intelligence due to his uncanny resemblance to Goofy.

Definitely one of the academy players I'll be taking an extra interest in next season. Let's see how good he really is.