Gyliano van Velzen

Enigma_87

You know who
yaaaa, bitch, yaaaaaaaaa :D

He's fecking tall, ain't he? 1 ft taller than anyone in that clip.. By that rate he'll be ready for the NBA in couple of years.

Gabe

Then we'll pay them compensation. They have no grounds to report us to FIFA, apart from sulking over us poaching him. Mind you, poaching players like this doesn't sit too comfortably with me, we wouldn't like it if it happened to us, I'd rather we agreed to pay a fair fee dependent on his progress.

We seem to be stocking up with some highly regarded kids in the reserves, all of this poaching would stop if the FA scratch the stupid 90 minute rule.

Yep, allow the best talent to be trained in the best facilities under the best coaching, it's a no-brainer.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Confirmed by the club, according to the Bebe hater.

::sonny::

Blatantly pinching this from the newbs (credit to poster named Cevno, link to original thread here, for anyone who can access said forum)

Apparently we've signed this van Velzen bloke, who is 16, a winger and joins us from Ajax.

This was discovered via his Twitter page, which said the following on July 23rd:

Also discussed on an Ajax forum.

Obligatory youtubage...

The next Nwanko Kanu

Mick1991

I actually heard about this before I left the newbs, he is a very tall lad but he looks agile and has quick feet from the admittedly only video I have seen.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It isn't the 90 minute rule that has bred the term 'poaching' it is the setting up of Academy's.

In the 1950's to mid 1990's.....kids couldn't sign Associate terms until they were 15. So good players would train at numerous clubs, try different places out and then sign a contract.

It didn't matter where they lived and then they joined a club after leaving school.

In the late 1990's the FA scrapped Lilleshall and introduced the Academy system so that kids as young as 6/7 were now being 'coached' by clubs and there was this belief that.....

...."since we coached them and you want them you have to pay us compensation or we will accuse you of poaching".....

The FA reinforced this process to 'protect' clubs losing their talent.

But back in the 1950's....Bobby Moncur the great Newcastle player was training at United. But because he wanted to go to Newcastle and hadn't signed a contract, United had to let him go. It happened everywhere.

Usually the best lads got the best coaching.

Now you could have a fantastic natural talent living in Norfolk (as an example) and is with Norwich Academy. But the Norwich coaches are average...the facilities are average....and the opportunities of learning from other great players is average....

But the FA has to protect Norwich City regardless.

Then they introduced the 90 minute rule to reinforce it.

So now our fantastic talent is not allowed to go anywhere but Norwich or Ipswich because he was born in the wrong place.

The whole system is ludicrous.

In any other industry it wouldn't happen.

So now, United are forced to look overseas more often because of these rules. In most cases when we identify a talent at another club, United agree a compensation fee with the club.....as in the recent case with Sean McGinty.

Finally, don't forget...there are loads of clubs who use this to their advantage and hope to find a talented youngster and then sell him on at a good profit. It has nothing to do what is best for the player...it's all about money.

John Cofie was spotted playing in Germany by Burnley. He had less than one season at Turf Moor before United 'poached' him. (I really hate the term as I thing it gives the wrong picture of reality). So United paid Burnley compensation....

...but really...what significant 'coaching and development' did Burnley do in such a small space of time?

I am not criticising Burnley in any way here...it is the FA process that is wrong.

So now some Academies, don't even let their kids play football at school, for their county, for their country and even for their own club just in case they get 'spotted'.

Seriously....kids just want to play!

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
That's hilarious at 4:28. He's genuinely twice the other kid's height.

Virtuoso

Always exciting to see a youth prospect being brought into the setup, however, it's also best to reserve judgement especially with youth players. Van Velzen looks very talented from the videos but it's always very difficult to tell because of so many variables in youth football and also as everyone has mentioned, he's huge and far more physically developed than practically any other player on most of those pitches.

Left wing is a position in which we don't have many youngsters coming through (hoping Robbie Brady can become a real player but he's a couple of years older now) and a player from the famed Ajax youth academy will of course have had an excellent football schooling thus far. Hopefully we can further his development and see how good he can become.

I was actually expecting more youth signings too (actually for the Academy I mean) this summer, we've went down this route many times recently and seem to have a very good eye for some top talent from around the world.

Gabe

It isn't the 90 minute rule that has bred the term 'poaching' it is the setting up of Academy's.

In the 1950's to mid 1990's.....kids couldn't sign Associate terms until they were 15. So good players would train at numerous clubs, try different places out and then sign a contract.

It didn't matter where they lived and then they joined a club after leaving school.

In the late 1990's the FA scrapped Lilleshall and introduced the Academy system so that kids as young as 6/7 were now being 'coached' by clubs and there was this belief that.....

...."since we coached them and you want them you have to pay us compensation or we will accuse you of poaching".....

But back in the 1950's....Bobby Moncur the great Newcastle player was training at United. But because he wanted to go to Newcastle and hadn't signed a contract, United had to let him go. It happened everywhere.

Now you could have a fantastic natural talent living in Norfolk (as an example) and is with Norwich Academy. But the Norwich coaches are average...the facilities are average....and the opportunities of learning from other great players is average....

So now our fantastic talent is not allowed to go anywhere but Norwich or Ipswich because he was born in the wrong place.

So now, United are forced to look overseas more often because of these rules. In most cases when we identify a talent at another club, United agree a compensation fee with the club.....as in the recent case with Sean McGinty.

Finally, don't forget...there are loads of clubs who use this to their advantage and hope to find a talented youngster and then sell him on at a good profit. It has nothing to do what is best for the player...it's all about money.

John Cofie was spotted playing in Germany by Burnley. He had less than one season at Turf Moor before United 'poached' him. (I really hate the term as I thing it gives the wrong picture of reality). So United paid Burnley compensation....

...but really...what significant 'coaching and development' did Burnley do in such a small space of time?

I am not criticising Burnley in any way here...it is the FA process that is wrong.

So now some Academies, don't even let their kids play football at school, for their county, for their country and even for their own club just in case they get 'spotted'.

It is a ridiculous system, to deny a gifted individual their right to specialized training based on where they live in the country.
Only way I see this changing is if an individual takes it to court like with the Bosman ruling on transfers, they would have a strong case.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner

Great post.

dev1l

United starlet invites ire from continental giants

Author: Andrew Allen
Posted on:23 August 2010 - 10:21
Category:Football
Comments: Be the first to comment

Print
Follow sportcouk on Twitter

Dutch side Ajax are contemplating a written complaint to Manchester United after the Premier League side snapped up under-16 starlet Gyliano van Velzen from the Amsterdam outfit.

The gangly, left-sided midfielder had originally been approached by United back in March but is thought to have been persuaded to stay on in Holland after being promoted in the famed Ajax Youth Academy.

Nevertheless, The Guardian reports that having offered the player and his family a house in Manchester, Van Velzen returned to his mentors and informed them that he intended to sign professional terms in England.

Ajax are now thought to be considering a formal complain via Fifa, but are also weighing up the possibility of claiming compensation from the Red Devils in a less formal agreement. It is believed that contact between the two parties has already been made with the Dutch side awaiting a conciliatory response from United’s board.

United starlet invites ire from continental giants 23 August 2010 - 10:21 | Sport.co.uk

topper

Clown
Then we'll pay them compensation. They have no grounds to report us to FIFA, apart from sulking over us poaching him. Mind you, poaching players like this doesn't sit too comfortably with me, we wouldn't like it if it happened to us, I'd rather we agreed to pay a fair fee dependent on his progress.

We seem to be stocking up with some highly regarded kids in the reserves, all of this poaching would stop if the FA scratch the stupid 90 minute rule.
and - in the long term - would help in the development of a better England team

datura

As claimed many times before.. We hardly ever announce our youth transfers.. But IMO this is a done deal..
It won't be made official until they have international clearance, which if Ajax are lodging a complaint may take some time. The same happened with Pogba, Fornasier and Massacci last season despite them being with the club and training for a few months prior to receiving clearance.

Devilton

Video is two years old. 14 at the time.
Interesting choice of song to play a footie highlight clip to. I don't speak or understand a word of dutch, but that rapper must have dropped the N-bomb at least 20 times (the n-bomb in dutch, sounds exactly like the n-bomb in english...who'd have thunk it?), the only other words i can make out at feck, and mothafeck.

Very odd listening to that shit while watching a youth football game. Not sure the person who made the vid thought about it when he picked that track from his mp3 list.

Back to the football though. The lad looks an interesting prospect. Wonder how tall he will get by the time he stops growing. Being too tall won't help. He already looks lanky and not too quick.

will keep an ear to the ground about him though...

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
It won't be made official until they have international clearance, which if Ajax are lodging a complaint may take some time. The same happened with Pogba, Fornasier and Massacci last season despite them being with the club and training for a few months prior to receiving clearance.
Yeah obviously he will only be able to play after Fifa give him the clearance to play..

But iirc We got the clearance for Pogba before we settled the issue with his old club.. So I am not sure if Ajax lodging a complaint will slow the process down unless Fifa finds out that we have done this transfer in any illegal way.. Feel free to correct me but this is what my opinion of it is.. Its a grey area so there may not be any right or wrong though..

datura

Yeah obviously he will only be able to play after Fifa give him the clearance to play..

But iirc We got the clearance for Pogba before we settled the issue with his old club.. So I am not sure if Ajax lodging a complaint will slow the process down unless Fifa finds out that we have done this transfer in any illegal way.. Feel free to correct me but this is what my opinion of it is.. Its a grey area so there may not be any right or wrong though..
If Ajax don't forward the appropriate paperwork then he would be unable to be registered.

According to someone on another forum: 'Gyliano van velzen played today his first match at closed door against the second team, the academy lost 4-0.'

prateik

he is an arsehole
daniel taylor that is .. not the yaaaaabitchyaaaa kid

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
He might be an arsehole on other matters but why is he an arsehole for giving us a progress update of this kid? Or are you against his usage of the word "taken"?
He's only saying it because he got so much criticism for claiming that he was "hearing that Bebe has been decidedly unimpressive in first few MUFC training sessions". The guy is full of shit and he's plucking these 'sources' out of his arse.

Ferguson

Others have already said it, but ... this is a really great post.

Red_Aaron

great post Mr. MUJAC

i dont really know much about this 90-min rule (apart from your post) but how does it apply to families should they move?

say for instance my son is in our local academy and i get a good job offer 200 miles away which i accept and we up sticks and move. If my son then wants to join up with an academy in our new surroundings would they be liable to compensate the previous one?

datura

Hearing from whom? This I think is just a tweet he thinks will make people think he is balance and fair.
Why? Is it so odd to think that a journalist has sources at a club? On the whole he is quite positive about United and it wasn't him that criticised Bebe, he was just passing on some information he had received. It seems a bit odd to hate him for that.

championo

Top Stalker
Why? Is it so odd to think that a journalist has sources at a club? On the whole he is quite positive about United and it wasn't him that criticised Bebe, he was just passing on some information he had received. It seems a bit odd to hate him for that.
Yes, a couple of odd things here, firstly very few have thought of the possibility that he may be making shit up.
I really did not know him before this whole Bebe thing. I don't hate him though. Secondly, does it not strike you as odd that he is the only journalist who keeps tweeting such stuff? Is he the only one capable of having sources? I will rather not continue talking about him here, but what is odd is that he is the only one saying such stuff. In fact that is the definition of odd and not my perceived aversion towards him.
You clearly know him better than me, just SAF called him out on it and come to know the facts, he may have had an ulterior motive for writing that.

datura

He seems pretty knowledgeable and his 'sources' have been accurate before. Other journalists do sometimes drop the odd bits like this, it's nothing new. Twitter is perfect for it. I just think people are being a little precious.

SAF called out the newspaper articles which were mainly the mail.

PS18

Hearing from whom? This I think is just a tweet he thinks will make people think he is balance and fair.
Hardly needs to do that, the guy's generally positive about United most of the time. Not exactly unrealistic to think he's got sources either is it?

Like datura's said, people seem to be being a bit precious. He passed along a small bit of info he'd heard about Bebe, nothing more. Wasn't him who went to town on Bebe like the Daily Fail have. Should also be remembered that it was DT who broke the news of us signing Bebe before anyone else too, for those doubting he has 'sources'.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Hardly needs to do that, the guy's generally positive about United most of the time. Not exactly unrealistic to think he's got sources either is it?

Like datura's said, people seem to be being a bit precious. He passed along a small bit of info he'd heard about Bebe, nothing more. Wasn't him who went to town on Bebe like the Daily Fail have. Should also be remembered that it was DT who broke the news of us signing Bebe before anyone else too, for those doubting he has 'sources'.
Very true but there is also the Anderson thing and Vidic. Prior to the Bebe comment few had a problem with him, I just think it has left a bad taste in people's mouths. Have to judge him individually rather than think he's been wrong/negative before so he must be now.

datura

Very true but there is also the Anderson thing and Vidic. Prior to the Bebe comment few had a problem with him, I just think it has left a bad taste in people's mouths. Have to judge him individually rather than think he's been wrong/negative before so he must be now.
What was the 'Anderson thing'?

I just think that some people have a tendency to complete overreact on here to the slightest criticism/negative reporting. These are independent journalists, not United reporters, you take the good with the bad and in general he appears to be one of the better ones.

The reaction to the Bebe tweet may make him less open to posting info like that on Van Velzen which would be a pity.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
What was the 'Anderson thing'?

I just think that some people have a tendency to complete overreact on here to the slightest criticism/negative reporting. These are independent journalists, not United reporters, you take the good with the bad and in general he appears to be one of the better ones.

The reaction to the Bebe tweet may make him less open to posting info like that on Van Velzen which would be a pity.
He said that Fergie tore into Ando after the CC defeat to Coventry a few years back having been shocked and very disappointed with how Ando played (i also though he had a shocker that night). Fergie said a few days later in the Friday press conference that Ando was one of the best players on the pitch. People thus assumed that Taylor was lying about Fergie's reaction to the performance vs Coventry.

For me, it is as likely Fergie was lying to the public to protect Ando from public criticism.

What Fergie says behind closed doors is bound to not always match what he claims in public.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon

Pretty sure he was given the heads up on that one from Ben Hibbs, who regularly admits he has no idea what goes on at Carrington etc. As far as journalists go, I don't think he's all that bad. They're all lying tossers though.

datura

He said that Fergie tore into Ando after the CC defeat to Coventry a few years back having been shocked and very disappointed with how Ando played (i also though he had a shocker that night). Fergie said a few days later in the Friday press conference that Ando was one of the best players on the pitch. People thus assumed that Taylor was lying about Fergie's reaction to the performance vs Coventry.

For me, it is as likely Fergie was lying to the public to protect Ando from public criticism.

What Fergie says behind closed doors is bound to not always match what he claims in public.
Ah ok, thanks, I must have missed all of that!