Haha Newcastle

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
How on earth do they run so much? I don’t understand how they can do that with such intensity after 3 games in a week with zero subs.

I remember thinking in their home match vs PSG that they’re running with more intensity in the 90th min than most teams do in the first min. I know United are a bit down in the dumps at the minute but again the difference is fitness levels and intensity was insane. It feels unsustainable but they just keep going and going with this crazy high intensity for 90 mins game after game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We always get an influx of opposition fans joining when their specific club is doing well just to rub salt into the wound as they know we're rubbish.

A few years ago a load of Leicester fans joined. Not seen many of them since. A few Brighton fans joined and, since things have gone sour, they haven't been on as much. Now you constantly see Arsenal and Newcastle fans with "new member" posting (despite contributing nothing to the newbie section).

Having opposition fans here is great, but you can tell the difference between who signs up just to wind up United fans and who sign up to have genuine discussions. When their clubs inevitably hit rough patches, so many of them are nowhere to be seen.

kidbob

Just a very good team. Not technically good enough to do anything in Europe or win a league but they seem to have taken the approach to build a hardworking and physically excellent team and then slowly start to replace the weakest parts with technically better talent. I see them as a regular top 3 team in the near future. They have the money to overtake Liverpool and Arsenal if they keep making the right decisions. Replacing their manager correctly in a year or two will be the most crucial decision for them to get right.

We had a lesson today that physically excellent teams are incredibly hard to overcome unless you have that good mix of technicality and physicality yourselves.

eire-red

Bless them they got humiliated by us every season for about 20 years. You can’t blame them for jumping the gun after a couple of wins thanks to the Saudis giving them infinite money.
They'd still be a yo-yo team scrapping to stay in the league if not for the Saudi's. I tend to avoid watching them and City altogether, unless they're playing United, otherwise I'm just part of the problem.

Loved when they played Dortmund away and the fans threw fake gold bars on the pitch.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Simply a well-managed team. When you see holdovers like Joelinton, Almiron, and Longstaff making big contributions it's clear the manager has had as much of an impact as the money spent.

eire-red

That was a protest against UEFA, not us.
Uefa are soulless and corrupt and care only for money, same now stands for Newcastle.

Newcastle are a symptom of the wider problem in football, this is obvious. Whether it's directly aimed at your club or not, clubs like Newcastle, City and PSG are the cancer that's ruining football.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Honest question to the "they'd be struggling without the Saudi money" brigade - How have Newcastle done financially the last couple of seasons, in comparison to United? I wouldn't say that they have gone down the Chelsea route. They seem to have just employed a good manager who has brought in signings that are up-and-comers, rather than established stars.

Bucephalus74

Supports
Arsenal
We always get an influx of opposition fans joining when their specific club is doing well just to rub salt into the wound as they know we're rubbish.

A few years ago a load of Leicester fans joined. Not seen many of them since. A few Brighton fans joined and, since things have gone sour, they haven't been on as much. Now you constantly see Arsenal and Newcastle fans with "new member" posting (despite contributing nothing to the newbie section).

Having opposition fans here is great, but you can tell the difference between who signs up just to wind up United fans and who sign up to have genuine discussions. When their clubs inevitably hit rough patches, so many of them are nowhere to be seen.
I'm sorry you feel this way, and I'm sorry if it's true. I know I joined because the general football discussion here is so much better than at my preferred Arsenal board. And if my posts can be a little Arsenal-centric, it's only because it's easier sometimes to use Arsenal history/players as an analogy, and because I certainly understand the pain of being mid-rebuild. Not trying to wind anyone up, and I thank all you United supporters for letting me be here.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Honest question to the "they'd be struggling without the Saudi money" brigade - How have Newcastle done financially the last couple of seasons, in comparison to United? I wouldn't say that they have gone down the Chelsea route. They seem to have just employed a good manager who has brought in signings that are up-and-comers, rather than established stars.
Without the Saudi money they’re not getting Howe, Guimaraes, etc and they’d have been likely relegated.

padzilla

Hipster
Newcastle's sudden overnight improvement in fitness under new owners and new coaches is definitely not suspicious...

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Without the Saudi money they’re not getting Howe, Guimaraes, etc and they’d have been likely relegated.
Maybe. The point I'm trying to make is that they don't seem to have spent a massively significant amount to achieve the current results and style of play. I get that it let them get a good coach and some decent players but that's where it stops....Good coaching then takes over and you see performances like today - similar to some of the Villa performances this season.

eire-red

You hardly believe the likes of Isak, Tonali, Botman, Gordon, Bruno G. are joining Newcastle if not for the takeover?

Spending is one thing, attracting players is another. And to point out, Newcastle are 2 points above United and also looking like they're exiting their CL group. Not exactly pulling up trees, and yet United are in crisis.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Maybe. The point I'm trying to make is that they don't seem to have spent a massively significant amount to achieve the current results and style of play. I get that it let them get a good coach and some decent players but that's where it stops....Good coaching then takes over and you see performances like today - similar to some of the Villa performances this season.
Oh no I’ve never denied they’re clearly a better drilled team but they only got that opportunity because of the Saudis.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You hardly believe the likes of Isak, Tonali, Botman, Gordon, Bruno G. are joining Newcastle if not for the takeover?

Spending is one thing, attracting players is another. And to point out, Newcastle are 2 points above United and also looking like they're exiting their CL group. Not exactly pulling up trees, and yet United are in crisis.
They’re also capable of losing to teams like Bournemouth as well. They up their game against the top teams but I’d expect them to drop more points and if they manage to keep up this intensity for a whole season then that’s questionable too.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Newcastle's sudden overnight improvement in fitness under new owners and new coaches is definitely not suspicious...
They've brought in a punishment for underperforming players, the Khashoggi tax

ShinjiNinja26

Fantastic win for my team given the injuries, got to add it was the WORST away support I’ve seen this season by a mile….
I knew it was only a matter of time before these lot started infesting this forum, hopefully the ban hammer comes down swiftly on these wumming clowns.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Newcastle is well managed by the Saudi given the amount of money being invested in the club. Well done. Qualified for CL and play good football with an identity in such short period of time is remarkable given where Newcastle was before the takeover. We all know by now spending billion of dollars in players do not guarantee success in EPL.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
They’re also capable of losing to teams like Bournemouth as well. They up their game against the top teams
Bournemouth were the exception if anything. Since the start of last season we've only lost to teams outside of the "big six" three times - Brighton, Villa and Bournemouth.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah - I think Newcastle fans don’t get that the minute they accepted their new owners - most actually footy fans didn’t care about them anymore. All that history and heritage sold off for a blood soaked future littered with the dead.

Feel bad for them me.

AFC NimbleThumb

This too shall pass, let them celebrate the ‘We beat United to go 5th Place Cup’ for a few days.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Their energy levels are absolutely incredible, and running is a huge part of football.

It's gotta be part of the recruitment strategy, but also the man management.

We could learn alot from that. Our energy output is pathetic for a big team. Pool, City and Newcastle simply work harder than United, regardless of also having better players.

pacifictheme

United are in crisis. Newcastle have a worse injury list than ours and are still playing good football, sticking to their principles, and those principles work. Yeah they may be only one point above us and going out of a much harder group than ours, but they are scoring goals and playing well generally despite half their team being out. What are our principles, what's the teams identity on the pitch? What do we do well?

In my opinion Newcastle's plan was for champions League football next season or the season after, not first try, they were not prepared as a club, the squad isn't huge and lacks depth and they are still doing reasonably well in the hardest group. They absolutely battered psg at home.

We are abject, could have lost many of the games we have won recently against utterly shit teams. We've scored 16 goals in the league this season. Our new striker has no goals in the league and our old one clearly doesn't give a feck at all.

Ten hag was supposed to get us playing in a certain way. I don't really remember what that was now. Look at Ange at spurs, Emery at villa, both have come in and gotten far more out of their squads than ten hag has. Is that on him, maybe it's on the players, but most likely it's both, meaning there is no functioning side to the football club right now.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle

The league table doesn't lie as they say, but I'm sure I know which set of fans as are happier with their performances this season. By the table there's little between us, but if you look at performances and almost all performance related stats, there clearly is a gap.

Re: champions league, again it looks similar on the surface, but we're in a much more difficult group and still have a decent chance of qualifying. PSG have to better our result or we qualify; they're away to Dortmund, we're at home to Milan... Far from certain, but also not "unlikely" that we make it through.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Agreed. Sign of a wee club from the North East.

Lee565

Isn't that because of the direction of which the two clubs are going in, Newcastle are on the up as a side and united are on the way back down to mid table again

ROFLUTION

Gotta give them respect where it’s due. They’re sharp shooters. Like when they shoot migrants at their borders.

… and force migrants to rape their friends. So glad the Premier League did some good due diligence on their NUFC purchase.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
I understand rival fans taking digs at our ownership, but I'm not sure how Manchester United fans can, considering you had a mutually beneficial "strategic partnership" directly with the sporting side of the Saudi government in the years prior to our takeover, which as far as I know may actually still be in place.

This not only financially benefitted your club, but also benefitted the Saudis commercially. It was every bit sportswashing in the same way our ownership is.

TheReligion

Abusive
I understand rival fans taking digs at our ownership, but I'm not sure how Manchester United fans can, considering you had a mutually beneficial "strategic partnership" directly with the sporting side of the Saudi government in the years prior to our takeover, which as far as I know may actually still be in place.

This not only financially benefitted your club, but also benefitted the Saudis commercially. It was every bit sportswashing in the same way our ownership is.
What a load of nonsense.

Accept what your club now is and deal with it. Dancing around St James park and dressing up in Middle Eastern dress.

Trying to make thinly veiled parallels is weak and disingenuous.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
What a load of nonsense.

Accept what your club now is and deal with it. Dancing around St James park and dressing up in Middle Eastern dress.

Trying to make thinly veiled parallels is weak and disingenuous.
Without getting into whataboutery, surely you see the hypocrisy in the way Newcastle fans are treated compared to literally every other club, government, organisation or individual that deals with the Saudis daily? I'd imagine the commercial revenue the country generates from NUFC is currently absolutely fractional compared to some of the other deals that get overlooked, including your own commercial partnerships with them.

Dancing in Saudi dress is ridiculous, I agree, but it's a small segment of numpties. The moral high ground of "Newcastle fans should stop supporting their club" however is embarrassing, and generally comes out right after a pitiful defeat against us like last night. If Manchester United had been bought by Qatar, you'd still support them, you know you would, we're all morally superior until we're put in that position.

eire-red

The league table doesn't lie as they say, but I'm sure I know which set of fans as are happier with their performances this season. By the table there's little between us, but if you look at performances and almost all performance related stats, there clearly is a gap.

Re: champions league, again it looks similar on the surface, but we're in a much more difficult group and still have a decent chance of qualifying. PSG have to better our result or we qualify; they're away to Dortmund, we're at home to Milan... Far from certain, but also not "unlikely" that we make it through.
You're right, it's been utterly depressing watching United this season, yet there's barely anything between the clubs in terms of points and league position.

TheReligion

Abusive
Without getting into whataboutery, surely you see the hypocrisy in the way Newcastle fans are treated compared to literally every other club, government, organisation or individual that deals with the Saudis daily? I'd imagine the commercial revenue the country generates from NUFC is currently absolutely fractional compared to some of the other deals that get overlooked, including your own commercial partnerships with them.

Dancing in Saudi dress is ridiculous, I agree, but it's a small segment of numpties. The moral high ground of "Newcastle fans should stop supporting their club" however is embarrassing, and generally comes out right after a pitiful defeat against us like last night. If Manchester United had been bought by Qatar, you'd still support them, you know you would, we're all morally superior until we're put in that position.
I’m not suggesting you should stop supporting your club but I am suggesting that trying to justify what you have become by creating false equivalences is silly.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Love the barcodes signing up to gloat despite winning nothing of note in living memory and now existing as a Saudi sportswashing vehicle. Howay.
Their club lost all legitimacy as soon as they were bought by a murderous dictatorship. Horrible hypocritical club and worse than city because they have more fans to buy into it.

eire-red

Nobody is expecting you to stop supporting your club, but recognise what you are now and stop trying to justify it.

Yes, the West has loads of economic ties to the Arab nation, but nobody 'celebrates' that, it's just how it is whether we like it or not.

Same is now true for Newcastle, your club is now a means to an end, just like City and PSG. Your owners are vile, and your club is a sportswashing vehicle. Plain and simple. Same could have been true for United, and I do think United being bought by the Middle East would have been the final nail in the coffin for the game.

The ownership thread in the general forum was very divisive regarding the ownership of United by the way. I think just as many fans were relieved we were not bought by Qatar.