Hakim Ziyech

tjb

Bugger. Sancho will cost £100m more than Ziyech and there's no guarantee Sancho will come to us. We should've been looking at Ziyech as an alternative. Risk free signing.
You can argue that we already did this by signing Bruno. The big question nows now are: how much will we get from Pogba? What position do we prioritize the most? Will we sell Martial? and What Formation and players do we sign to get the best out of Ole's vision?

Sometimes you need to have the players assembled before a formation and ingame strategy can be built.

Alabaster Codify7

Chelsea have a great structure at the club level. They have been consistently in title race for last two decades for a reason. Posters here like to simplify it to either "oil-money" or "corruption" but their transfer dealings in or out are always on point. They've spent lesser money on Ziyech in 2020 than they received for Oscar in 2016...
They do. They usually get tidy money for the players they sell, they never seem to exorbitantly overspend and importantly, they are not afraid to pull the trigger on a manager that is no longer working for the club. And pretty much every time they've done that, the replacement manager has come in and taken over more or less the same squad of players give or take 2-3, and has won major honours with them. They are a well run football club that know what they want to do and do it.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Chelsea have a great structure at the club level. They have been consistently in title race for last two decades for a reason. Posters here like to simplify it to either "oil-money" or "corruption" but their transfer dealings in or out are always on point. They've spent lesser money on Ziyech in 2020 than they received for Oscar in 2016...
The grass is always greener on the other side, or so it seems.

In reality Chelsea have done pretty poorly in the transfer market over the last two-three years, wasting an absolute fortune on the likes of Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Batshuayi, Zappacosta etc. Kepa was a world's record fee for a keeper and has been shocking this season. Only Pulisic looks a promising signing in that period, but that's about it. The last time we've signed a difference maker was back in 2016 with Kante.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

In reality Chelsea have done pretty poorly in the transfer market over the last two-three years, wasting an absolute fortune on the likes of Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Batshuayi, Zappacosta etc. Kepa was a world's record fee for a keeper and has been shocking this season. Only Pulisic looks a promising signing in that period, but that's about it. The last time we've signed a difference maker was back in 2016 with Kante.
This is true. Without the loan players you've been able to bring back this summer you could have been in a really rough spot this season.

RedCurry

Do you really believe that grass is greener on United's side?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Willian and Pedro quite possibly off. I think we may even use Ziyech behind the striker. And stick a new winger on the right with Pulisic left
I cant see Chelsea spending another 100m on Sancho considering that they spent almost similar amount on Pulisic and Ziyech. You also need a WC striker that's not gonna cost less than 50m. Then you have Odoi. Difficult to see Sancho there but who knows.

beingshe7don

I would take Ziyech ahead of Sancho. Spending 100m on one player when we need to bring in about 4 players in the summer to remain competitive is just madness. If we got Ziyech instead, we could possibly get another player. I would rather we went for Ziyech and Werner instead of Sancho and Dembele.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
And suddenly I feel optimistic for Sancho. Unless they plan on using Ziyech as the 10 and still plan on getting Sancho which could well be the case.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Chelsea is smart, while Woodward giving another pointless speech to the press about same things, they already setting up for a decent transfer window with plenty of time to gather the rest of the targets in the summer.

That's how you avoid panic mode before pressure of September closing in fast. You do things instead of talking and creating PR stories for children.

TheReligion

Abusive
No chance they get Sancho now. He could well have agreed United hence them getting this done early (just like Lukaku turned down Chelsea)

Lee565

This is what frustrates me about United under Woodward, it always feels like we are only start to try and negotiate when the window opens whilst clubs like man city, liverpool, real Madrid, Barca, Chelsea will have already sorted out pre-arranged transfers months before they can officially join the club.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why'd they have to move the AFCON back to an annoying month?

Pedro and Willian are off at the end of the season so this is a decent move I think. We can't have a squad full of babies.

Pav1878

I would take Ziyech ahead of Sancho. Spending 100m on one player when we need to bring in about 4 players in the summer to remain competitive is just madness. If we got Ziyech instead, we could possibly get another player. I would rather we went for Ziyech and Werner instead of Sancho and Dembele.
Totally agree with this.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I read we made £170 odd mill in the summer from sales spent 35 ish on Kovacic. Spent zero in January, this summer Morata's 50m fee comes into play. As his deal becomes permanent this summer window. I dont believe it's Ziyech or Sancho, i think it could well be Ziyech plus
It's not about the money that Sancho is out of the question but the position. You're not going to spend the majority of your budget on two players playing in the same position.

The 170m, like pretty much all transfers, are spread over years. People always forget that part about the budget that it's done with years in mind because money is coming in from this and that and leaving for similar reasons. You're also a club that doesn't rely on having to sell players to finance purchases.

NoPace

True, and he even said it. PL was too much for his body.

But also; He's playing in a different position, which makes a big difference. He's not quick enough to be a winger, but can hold on to balls like (almost) no one else. So perfect fit for the false 9.
I have no doubt there are a fair few wide players or 10s who would thrive if given a starting job as a 9 in the right team, much like Dries Mertens and Tadic have. I always though Ross Barkley (2-footed, good finisher and strength, not a clever midfielder) would be one, but I'm sure there are others.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Seems its done. Just seen a van der beek interview wishing him well at Chelsea.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This is what frustrates me about United under Woodward, it always feels like we are only start to try and negotiate when the window opens whilst clubs like man city, liverpool, real Madrid, Barca, Chelsea will have already sorted out pre-arranged transfers months before they can officially join the club.
Chelsea tried to sign him in January and ended up with no one. If we had done that Woodward would've been lambasted for chasing unrealistic targets.

izec

We now have a clear run at Sancho !!!

oh shit wait, there are other top clubs in for him. If anything, another good and 'cheap' alternative is off the market.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It's all about context....
We were crying out for wingers and central midfielders over the summer, yet Ole walked away from the Bruno Fernandes, Tielemans, and Nicolas Pepe deals for various reasons that we don't really know.
Alexis Sanchez could have done a job as a squad player but he got the boot as there were murmurs that he wasn't mixing well in the group.
Ole walked away from the dybala deal as there were fears money was the only motivation.
Really? That aged well...

mu4c_20le

And suddenly I feel optimistic for Sancho. Unless they plan on using Ziyech as the 10 and still plan on getting Sancho which could well be the case.
Mount is their 10 so I'm assuming he'll be played out wide. If he is as good as some rate him then I wonder why Spurs didn't replace Eriksen with him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rather we get Sancho of course. But could be a good addition for Chelsea.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
They do. They usually get tidy money for the players they sell, they never seem to exorbitantly overspend and importantly, they are not afraid to pull the trigger on a manager that is no longer working for the club. And pretty much every time they've done that, the replacement manager has come in and taken over more or less the same squad of players give or take 2-3, and has won major honours with them. They are a well run football club that know what they want to do and do it.
WTF! I have seen it all now. What a load of revisionist history! What a load of crap.

Maybe its time for you to start supporting Chelski.

bosnian_red

Mount is their 10 so I'm assuming he'll be played out wide. If he is as good as some rate him then I wonder why Spurs didn't replace Eriksen with him.
Yeah Ziyech as a replacement for Mount. Mount is alright but nothing special.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah Ziyech as a replacement for Mount. Mount is alright but nothing special.
Ziyech will come in and play the role someone like Isco would have, if we'd got him. In the hole like Mata did and Oscar for us (normally). I really dont think he is being bought to play on the wing, which is why i still think we will be in the running for Sancho

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ziyech will come in and play the role someone like Isco would have, if we'd got him. In the hole like Mata did and Oscar for us (normally). I really dont think he is being bought to play on the wing, which is why i still think we will be in the running for Sancho
I'm not sure you can accommodate Mount, Willian, Hudson Odoi, Ziyech, Sancho and Pulisic in the three attacking poisitions behind the CF. And I feel I've missed out on attacker or two (Pedro I know is leaving).

bosnian_red

I'm not sure you can accommodate Mount, Willian, Hudson Odoi, Ziyech, Sancho and Pulisic in the three attacking poisitions behind the CF. And I feel I've missed out on attacker or two (Pedro I know is leaving).
Mount will be a squad player for them. Hudson Odoi, Willian, Pulisic and Sancho as the 4 winger options. Ziyech the starter #10. Nothing too crazy there. It's a starting 11 and backup 11. One on par with the level a team needs to be to compete for the top trophies, but only makes sense once you have a settled squad. We arent there yet, and need to plug gaps in the starting 11 before we stack the squad like that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Mount will be a squad player for them. Hudson Odoi, Willian, Pulisic and Sancho as the 4 winger options. Ziyech the starter #10. Nothing too crazy there. It's a starting 11 and backup 11. One on par with the level a team needs to be to compete for the top trophies, but only makes sense once you have a settled squad. We arent there yet, and need to plug gaps in the starting 11 before we stack the squad like that.
I haven't seen them playing with 10. It was 4-3-3 with Kovacic, Jorginho and Kante midfield as most used one.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
From what i have seen they are mostly playing with either 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and sometimes 3-4-3.
From what i saw it was mostly 4-3-3.

Anyways will be good option to mix up tactics even in the game.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest, Lampard has worked on plenty of formations, we used 4-4-2 last year in pre-season.
But whatever the starting formation is, is actually really irelevant and theres far too much focus on it. 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1, 4-1-2-2-1, 4-3-2-1, 4-2-3-1.. it's all the same, as a game evolves, the flow of the game affects players positions more than a coach.

As for Ziyech, pretty pleased if this one gets signed off. He was very good against us. Obviously there are reservations about the Dutch league, kezman and that Brazilian forward middlesborough bought had great records but flopped spectacularly. However he has proven in the last couple of years he can make a difference against big teams and at 38 mil, in today's market, that's 100% risk free.

I'd take him over sancho, who has only had a couple of seasons of mens football and been about consistent for england as his age and experience would suggest.

izec

A very good deal from Chelsea. Secure a good deal early, Sancho or no Sancho, and then in the summer they will see what is going on. It is a safe route and i would have done the same, rather than wait or speculate on an expensive, sought after teenage boy

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Chill. We cannot sign all the good players. Plus we may now be signing only those players who are compatible with Pochettino's plans for next season.

Alabaster Codify7

WTF! I have seen it all now. What a load of revisionist history! What a load of crap.

Maybe its time for you to start supporting Chelski.

Maybe it's time for you to do one.

Name one player Chelsea have paid over the odds for, in the manner we've spent money on Maguire, Pogba, Martial, etc in terms of getting a return for their money and trophies?

acnumber9

Maybe it's time for you to do one.

Name one player Chelsea have paid over the odds for, in the manner we've spent money on Maguire, Pogba, Martial, etc in terms of getting a return for their money and trophies?
Kepa, Torres, Drinkwater, Bakayoko. There are more but that should be enough for starters.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Do you really believe that grass is greener on United's side?
I think fans tend to both overrate and uderrate their teams due to the emotional attachment to the club. For all your poor transfer dealings since SAF left, this current United side is a strong candidate for top four finish provided, of course, that they keep their key players fit. De Gea is quality, the back four may not be great but solid enough, then you have Pogba, McTominay, Fernandes, Matic, Fred in the middle and Rashford and Martial upfront. If everyone's healthy that's a strong side with some serious quality. Long term injuries to Pogba and Rashford made things much more difficult, of course.