Hannibal Mejbri - Manchester United Player

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Stuff like this is what grates me about Solskjaer and the way we operate regarding resale value, that we never actually seem to utilise anyway, Lingard says he wants to "fight for his place" but the time for him to fight for his place was 2.5 years ago. We've invested a fairly significant amount of money in some hyper-talented young players who seem to be perenially trapped behind the nearly men who've been here for years.

Looking at players like James it gets you wondering, he wasn't much older than some of these lads when he joined with only one season of football under his belt, but that perceived experience has now trickled its way into over 100 senior appearances. Any time someone like Amad or Elanga doesn't get chosen by Solskjaer for a game people often cite experience being the key factor, but how are they ever going to amass the same game time as James if he keeps getting picked because he was lucky enough to amass game time first? Seems like a paradox to me.
This is actually a very good post.

Chairman Steve

Stuff like this is what grates me about Solskjaer and the way we operate regarding resale value, that we never actually seem to utilise anyway, Lingard says he wants to "fight for his place" but the time for him to fight for his place was 2.5 years ago. We've invested a fairly significant amount of money in some hyper-talented young players who seem to be perenially trapped behind the nearly men who've been here for years.

Looking at players like James it gets you wondering, he wasn't much older than some of these lads when he joined with only one season of football under his belt, but that perceived experience has now trickled its way into over 100 senior appearances. Any time someone like Amad or Elanga doesn't get chosen by Solskjaer for a game people often cite experience being the key factor, but how are they ever going to amass the same game time as James if he keeps getting picked because he was lucky enough to amass game time first? Seems like a paradox to me.
I fully agree with everything here. Amad and Mejbri were particularly high value investments for youth level so we better start seeing them get chances at some point this season, instead of Lingard who will turn 29 this year(!).

One of the clubs biggest problems is handing out very nice contracts to players who just seem to do what is the minimum expected, but because it’s Utd and the youth ethos, it feels like any youth player who shows signs of just hanging in there is worthy of a contract of someone who’s far exceeding expectations.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

If they are good enough and ready, they will 'force' their way into reckoning.

Ole sees them every day in training.

We keep talking about all the young players being held back, but I can't remember that many who have had to move on to get games then been so good we have regretted it.

We all our have our opinions and favourites, but the coaching staff have 80+ years of getting it right 99% of the time.

pascell

It basically sums up most businesses, they won't hire you because you don't have experience but no ones willing to give you that experience.

I'd say I was shocked to hear, but I wasn't, that James has scored 9 goals in 72 games for United, 2 of those were vs Southampton. So he's contributed 7 goals in 71 games, which is an average of 1 in 10 games, for a winger at United, that's diabolical.

We need to sack off this idea of preserving players values, especially when Elanga has arguably had the best pre season out of our attacking players, he's deserved games on merit and he even scored vs Wolves the last game of the season.

Bondi77

If they are good enough and ready, they will 'force' their way into reckoning.

Ole sees them every day in training.

We keep talking about all the young players being held back, but I can't remember that many who have had to move on to get games then been so good we have regretted it.

We all our have our opinions and favourites, but the coaching staff have 80+ years of getting it right 99% of the time.
Spot on
When Fergie introduced Scholes and the rest of the youths back in the day by all accounts they were more than a match for the senior players in training and that is how they got their start and if a coach in any era did not do the same then all they are doing is restricting how good their team could be.
We heard the same old shit about Gomes not so long ago.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I feel like you're reacting to the report of Lingard wanting to stay and projecting that onto Ole's feelings. I think Lingard has looked pretty meh in pre-season and I can't see Ole being any more impressed with him than when he wasn't last year - just because he wants to stay.

Amad and Elanga haven't been in contention for the first team yet - Amad had just signed having played feck all for Atalanta and Elanga was coming back off an injury in the reserves. They got their chances at the end of the season and Amad luckily a bit earlier against Milan. You've decided already Amad and Elanga won't feature enough, because of Lingard staying, but there's literally no evidence to suggest that will be the case.

Remember that Rashford will be out for 3 months, I highly doubt we'll have no injuries and we're in a lot of competitions. There will be plenty of opportunities for these guys to take, it's up to them to take it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Agreed.

The likes of Lingard and Pereira are quite simply not good enough and the sample size is quite large from when they first appeared at first team level. Pereira has consistently shown even from his outings on loan in Spain and Italy that he isn't good enough to play for a team that has aspirations to challenge for the biggest honours in the game. Lingard like you say has also been bang average and needs to be moved on so we can evolve as a team and I think they're trying to move him on but unfortunately it seems many clubs would rather sign him as a free agent.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Spot on
When Fergie introduced Scholes and the rest of the youths back in the day by all accounts they were more than a match for the senior players in training and that is how they got their start and if a coach in any era did not do the same then all they are doing is restricting how good their team could be.
We heard the same old shit about Gomes not so long ago.
Things were different back then though.

Scholes was 21, that wasn't seen as old for a footballer. These days if you aren't in the first team by 18-19 you aren't deemed a young prospect anymore, people don't have patience like they once did.

TheReligion

Abusive
As @Mr. MUJAC says if they are good enough they will break through. I'm surprised anyone questions this given United are by far the best English club at doing this and have been for many years.

There's also an element of fortune and taking opportunities when they come (Mctominay and Rashford) but there's also Greenwood who has broken in to contention.

The thing is with young players is they aren't all ready at the same age. Some develop later, others early.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Scholes was 21, that wasn't seen as old for a footballer. These days if you aren't in the first team by 18-19 you aren't deemed a young prospect anymore, people don't have patience like they once did.
Times were different back then. Scholes had Hughes and Cantona ahead of him.

the_cliff

I fully agree with everything here. Amad and Mejbri were particularly high value investments for youth level so we better start seeing them get chances at some point this season, instead of Lingard who will turn 29 this year(!).

One of the clubs biggest problems is handing out very nice contracts to players who just seem to do what is the minimum expected, but because it’s Utd and the youth ethos, it feels like any youth player who shows signs of just hanging in there is worthy of a contract of someone who’s far exceeding expectations.
Exactly ! I know our recruitment has been better this summer, but last summers business is still baffling to me. I'm not knocking on Amads ability as a player as I think he's a potential superstar but I can't think of a team that signs a young player for 35 Million in the middle of an economic crisis only to play him 5 times and send him on loan the next season. Surely if we saved that money we'll be buying a Neves/Saul this summer for the same price who would walk into our first 11.

Bojan Djordjic

Exactly ! I know our recruitment has been better this summer, but last summers business is still baffling to me. I'm not knocking on Amads ability as a player as I think he's a potential superstar but I can't think of a team that signs a young player for 35 Million in the middle of an economic crisis only to play him 5 times and send him on loan the next season. Surely if we saved that money we'll be buying a Neves/Saul this summer for the same price who would walk into our first 11.
Yeah, and that's without considering the Donny VdB transfer and while I do think is a far better player than he's shown, the transfer itself was so stupid. The bulk of our transfer kitty went to someone who plays in the same position as Bruno, our best performing player at that time. If we had signed a player who could actually revel in the double pivot we'd be really set to kick on this year. Instead, we've done our best to destroy his confidence while wasting the clubs money when it could have been put to much better use.

Bondi77

I agree and I think back in the day the youth players did not get the exposure they do now as from my experience my first sighting of a young Man Utd player would be when they made their debut.
Good or bad I am not sure as these days the kids get their own managers early and make huge money so I suppose it has to be a good thing.

Mickson

Not good enough yet to get significant playing time in the first team.
I don't agree with that. I think he is good enough to get some time on the pitch now and I think he will grow with that. I rather see him getting minutes (good for his development too) than James, Mata or Lingard too. If he gets 15 games this season, then he will explode next season. It's not all here and now. Mata may be slightly better right now, but he won't be next season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I think that what we had back then that we lack now is a manager who can plan ahead and can inspire trust. Sir Alex might have taken a bit of time before giving a kid his first team shot. However no one doubted that Sir Alex could take some tough decisions at least up until the latter years of his career. The guy would also create a career progression for every single player and he would stick to it. In fact one of his biggest pride was that none of the academy kids had left United jobless.

I can't see that in Ole. We've got one of the largest squads in the world really and yet he keeps giving contract extensions to the likes of Grant, Mata and Matic all of whom are former players in all but name.

Ace of Spades

Or get some minutes in the first team.
It is better to get consistent game time somewhere than some sporadic minutes for us.

A good loan will be great for him, he is ready for the men's game, now just needs experience.

Grande

He was 19 (almost 20) when he made his debut (with a brace against Port Vale) and league debut (scoring one against Ipswich), but your point still stands. He was technically the best youth they had seen at The Cliff, including Giggs according to some, yet there was no discussion at all that I can remember about him ‘not getting a chance’, ‘being stifled’ or ‘not being good enough as he hadn’t made hos debut at 18’.

People playing managers with a little knowledge quickly becomes more stupid than people accepting they’re fans with practically no knowledge.

Adam-Utd

I think that what we had back then that we lack now is a manager who can plan ahead and can inspire trust. Sir Alex might have taken a bit of time before giving a kid his first team shot. However no one doubted that Sir Alex could take some tough decisions at least up until the latter years of his career. The guy would also create a career progression for every single player and he would stick to it. In fact one of his biggest pride was that none of the academy kids had left United jobless.

I can't see that in Ole. We've got one of the largest squads in the world really and yet he keeps giving contract extensions to the likes of Grant, Mata and Matic all of whom are former players in all but name.
I think the difference is back then youth players would wait their turn and bide their time. They did some loan spells and got mens football, only the true greats broke into teams early (Giggs). He drip fed the likes of Beckham, Neville, Butt, Scholes into the side over a number of years.

Beckham was 19/20 by the time he started playing in the first team regularly but had been around the squad since he was 17.

Fergie had enough time to evaluate these players and realise they were ready to take over, i'm not sure Ole has had that amount of time with a lot of these lads.

He has given the likes of Greenwood, Shoretire, Williams, Elanga their first starts and plenty of minutes, i'm not sure Fergie could have done it a lot better.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I hope he gets few games this season, you never know how they make the step up. Rashford was introduced because of injuries and he played well to be part of first team squad without dropping to U23s again.

His cameo against Wolves was good, showed in bits what he is capable of.

Mickson

I think the difference is back then youth players would wait their turn and bide their time. They did some loan spells and got mens football, only the true greats broke into teams early (Giggs). He drip fed the likes of Beckham, Neville, Butt, Scholes into the side over a number of years.

Beckham was 19/20 by the time he started playing in the first team regularly but had been around the squad since he was 17.

Fergie had enough time to evaluate these players and realise they were ready to take over, i'm not sure Ole has had that amount of time with a lot of these lads.

He has given the likes of Greenwood, Shoretire, Williams, Elanga their first starts and plenty of minutes, i'm not sure Fergie could have done it a lot better.
Shoretire played 24 minutes the whole season, barely something to brag about.

Bestietom

Elanga, Hannibal, and Amad, should make it here if given the game time.
They are talented and want to show what they can do. I would rather see them on the panel that a lot that are on it.

GueRed

No doubt he'll get opportunties at some point this season.

It's up to him to make the most of them.

Kind of like Elanga has done...his first team performances aligned with Rashford out long-term has moved him up the pecking order and into the manager's thoughts.

flappyjay

People playing managers with a little knowledge quickly becomes more stupid than people accepting they’re fans with practically no knowledge.
You are right but more and more youth players are leaving their parent clubs for smaller teams seeking 1st team opportunities.Gomes left seeking 1st team appearances other highly rated lads will feel like their ready for 1st team minutes too and will leave. If we can't give them opportunities ourselves they should go on loan. We just have to find them suitable loans.

Adam-Utd

Shoretire played 24 minutes the whole season, barely something to brag about.
How is that bragging? he's 17 :lol: the point is he's bringing him through in the same way Beckham was drip fed.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As @Mr. MUJAC says if they are good enough they will break through. I'm surprised anyone questions this given United are by far the best English club at doing this and have been for many years.

There's also an element of fortune and taking opportunities when they come (Mctominay and Rashford) but there's also Greenwood who has broken in to contention.

The thing is with young players is they aren't all ready at the same age. Some develop later, others early.
McTominay didn’t ‘take his opportunity when it came’. His opportunity came, much to the surprise of everyone, and he was rubbish over and over, yet kept getting an opportunity until he became decent/good.

Rashford certainly grabbed his chance when it came though.

Mickson

How is that bragging? he's 17 :lol: the point is he's bringing him through in the same way Beckham was drip fed.
You were talking about Fergie, and how he wouldn't give him more time. It's possible. But it's still 24 minutes and something Mourinho could've (and probably should've) done. The way he did with Gomes. So it's hardly impressive by Ole.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think the problem is we don't win enough cups or titles these days, so those young players getting their debut in the Carabao Cup or Fa Cup doesn't happen as much anymore as we have managers that probably feel like they have to play the older guys instead.

Adam-Utd

You were talking about Fergie, and how he wouldn't give him more time. It's possible. But it's still 24 minutes and something Mourinho could've (and probably should've) done. The way he did with Gomes. So it's hardly impressive by Ole.
I never said more time, I said I doubt Fergie could have done it better.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
McTominay didn’t ‘take his opportunity when it came’. His opportunity came, much to the surprise of everyone, and he was rubbish over and over, yet kept getting an opportunity until he became decent/good.

Rashford certainly grabbed his chance when it came though.
That's an opinion....

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's an opinion....
I think it’s certainly a bit of an insult to Rashford’s start in senior football to try and compare it with Scott McTominay’s. Not to mention comparing their relative standings as youth players. Scott wasn’t like Hannibal, Hansen etc - I doubt anyone would have been shocked if he had left without a senior appearance.

People were literally saying ‘poor Scott, it’s not his fault, he’s being used as a pawn to make a point against the board/Pogba’.

Red_toad

What a load of tosh, look at our squad we have a 28 year old young prospect.

But really just as fans perceive that, doesn’t make it actually a valid point. Players are ready when they’re ready, as has already been pointed out in this thread we’ve numerous hyped United youngsters who many fans wanted playing when they were 18, as the fans knew better than the coaches and none bar Pogba have gone on to have this wonderful careers that was lauded for them. We have an excellent academy, who’ve produced numerous premiership players. Then the likes of Rashford and Greenwood.

mav_9me

He had a brilliant game today. Assisted one, won a penalty, scored the 4th. Highlights here:

=share

atkar83

Just curious as I haven't been following u23s very closely over the years, but how did Rashford look in his last days in the youth system before becoming a senior team regular? Was he as comfortable in attack as Mejbri/Amad/Shoretire seem to look?

jeepers

? Megbri won the penalty.

[Edit] My apologies, thought I was in the Elanga thread.

The Viper

Why did the commentator kept calling him French ? Didn't he chose to represent Tunisia recently ?

Nicolarra90

When you don't celebrate it's cause you know that's levels below you.

I'd give him first team minutes. First team in cups and subs in the league when safe. Same with amad. They are ready for me.

mav_9me

Just curious as I haven't been following u23s very closely over the years, but how did Rashford look in his last days in the youth system before becoming a senior team regular? Was he as comfortable in attack as Mejbri/Amad/Shoretire seem to look?
Open to correction but Rashford wasn't as established as these guys.