Hargreaves out for the start of the season....

I'm always right

Have a look at who quoted who first and see which person is the one replying.
You are mad ac! :) This is like a children's argument, yes I know I quoted you first because that's how the forum works. Don't quote someone's post and then say "I wasn't replying to you".

As far as changing history goes then no I wouldn't but it's not really relevant to whether his signing was a good one or not. We won the double the year William Prunier played for us. money.
Most ridiculous argument ever in the caf?

acnumber9

You are mad ac! :) This is like a children's argument, yes I know I quoted you first because that's how the forum works. Don't quote someone's post and then say "I wasn't replying to you".

Did you whine about putting words in somebodys mouth? Where did I say I wasn't replying to you.

Surely the theory is the same as the Hargreaves on you demanded I answer. Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain the subtle differences? And perhaps include the Veron one. By the logic used any player who played in a trophy winning season was a good signing and worth every penny regardless of any other factors. I would suggest that would be one of the stupider arguements.

I'm always right

Did you whine about putting words in somebodys mouth? Where did I say I wasn't replying to you.
Ifs, Buts, Maybes... Hargreaves DID and that's all that matters, same goes for Anderson, Nani etc, worth every penny.

The part about him "only" getting in the team as à wide player is total nonsense, it was à positive that unlike Scholes, Anderson and Carrick (include Fletch too) Owen could do à top top quality job out wide when required. It's pretty pathetic to turn such à positive into à negative! And the "improved since he got injured" codswallop doesn't warrant à reply.
A player costing that much and only playing one season is not worth every penny. Don't get me wrong Hargreaves was a decent player when used out wide but even in his first season he didn't have the impact we should've got. We could've signed another player for that kind of money and been even more successful.

Have a look back at old threads from the 07/08 season and see whether Hargreaves was considered such an important player.
More words in mouth here too... when did I claim he was "such an important player" in 07/08? Injuries even that season put pay to that, but for the small percentage of games he played he had an important role in à good few, Arsenal, 2 games v Barca, CL final spring to mind.
You aren't the only person in this thread. The whole argument here is that we would've been better off spending the money on a player who could've been more important for longer.
Anyway, back to the main issue...

Surely the theory is the same as the Hargreaves on you demanded I answer. Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain the subtle differences? And perhaps include the Veron one. By the logic used any player who played in a trophy winning season was a good signing and worth every penny regardless of any other factors. I would suggest that would be one of the stupider arguements.
Nonsense, but any player who scored a penalty in one of our ONLY THREE ever Champions League wins, now that's a different story.

Had Veron, Birtles, Prunier, Taibi or anyone for that matter scored the winning goal in the most important Premier League game of the season to pretty much secure the league and then gone on to score a Champions League final penalty... damn fecking right they'd be worth the money. If you don't think so you must be on acid.

acnumber9

Nonsense, but any player who scored a penalty in one of our ONLY THREE ever Champions League wins, now that's a different story.

Had Veron, Birtles, Prunier, Taibi or anyone for that matter scored the winning goal in the most important Premier League game of the season to pretty much secure the league and then gone on to score a Champions League final penalty... damn fecking right they'd be worth the money. If you don't think so you must be on acid.
The question being asked was would you go back in history and change his signing and risk changing history. I think somebody has already mentioned the butterfly effect. Every player who has ever played for United has shaped our history. Would you change that? If the answer is no does that mean you think every player we have ever signed was a good one and worth every penny? That every player we turned down was a good decision? Have a step back and look at what is being argued. If you think that is a sensible arguement then I worry for you.

Veron scored the winner against Arsenal the year we won the league and I'm sure a few more along the way. He was still a bad signing despite being a fantastic footballer.

acnumber9

Anyway, back to the main issue...

Where did I say I wasn't replying to you? Can you whow me the wordd 'I am not replying to you'. Have a look back at the last post on the previous page where I addressed what was meant by that post. For someone bitching about having words put in their mouth you should take a closer look at what you're reading and posting.

I'm always right

Where did I say I wasn't replying to you? Can you whow me the wordd 'I am not replying to you'. Have a look back at the last post on the previous page where I addressed what was meant by that post. For someone bitching about having words put in their mouth you should take a closer look at what you're reading and posting.

I'm always right

The question being asked was would you go back in history and change his signing and risk changing history. I think somebody has already mentioned the butterfly effect. Every player who has ever played for United has shaped our history. Would you change that? If the answer is no does that mean you think every player we have ever signed was a good one and worth every penny? That every player we turned down was a good decision? Have a step back and look at what is being argued. If you think that is a sensible arguement then I worry for you.

Veron scored the winner against Arsenal the year we won the league and I'm sure a few more along the way. He was still a bad signing despite being a fantastic footballer.
Some have shaped it well, others have helped us be shit, I'd defo change more than a good few if given chance.

I have never said anything about Hargreaves being a good or bad signing, I simply said that pen was worth every penny, the sooner you can understand what I mean by that the better.

acnumber9

The point being made is every player who ever played for us has led to what the club has acheived which is why the question was idiotic. The sooner you understand that the better.

odinnh

Anyone know his progress? didn´t they say he would be out for around 6 weeks ?
whats his status ?

I'm always right

I think telegraph says that he has resumed light training, I'd say another 2 weeks.
Yep, he hopes to resume full training in the dreaded 2 weeks.

I still have hopes for Owen, probably false hope, but I still think he'll get back to fitness and come in handy for the season run-in. He'll earn himself another 1 year contract to start with with play bonuses.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Yep, he hopes to resume full training in the dreaded 2 weeks.

I still have hopes for Owen, probably false hope, but I still think he'll get back to fitness and come in handy for the season run-in. He'll earn himself another 1 year contract to start with with play bonuses.
Yeah, for some reason I just don't think this is the end of the curl'ed one.

MUFCgal

I still hold a tiny bit of hope for Hargreaves, but it's on the wane I have to admit. Like with Ole several years back, he managed to come back and play another season before finally retiring.

I hope Hargreaves can come back, but I see it like the situation with Ole. It's hard to imagine Hargreaves getting back to full, complete fitness where he'll be able to play at the top level on a consistent basis for several more seasons. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I'm losing hope a bit.

Drifter

American
Manchester United are expected to leave Owen Hargreaves out of their Champions League squad for the second-half of the season.

The Guardian says United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is having to weigh up whether he can afford to risk including a player who has managed only six minutes of first-team football in the past 28 months.

The early indications from Old Trafford are that he has lost faith in the former England international.

The 25-man squad has to be submitted to Uefa by 1 February and if the luckless Hargreaves is omitted it will only increase the sense that a player who turned 30 today is unlikely to be offered a new contract to replace his present deal, which expires in Jun

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
No hope for him in my book. I've thought this for a long time.
I think he may appear before the end of the season but as a goodbye.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He has been selected in our premier league squad though.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
He has been selected in our premier league squad though.
Hargreaves' inclusion in that squad means nothing unfortunately because an overage player has to be registered unless you have more than 25 of them (and we don't).

Smalling, Bebe and Obertan all have to be named in the Champions League 25 man squad in order to be eligible whereas they don't in the PL squad. The Champions League B list rules are slightly different in so much as you must have been registered at the club for two years along with being under 21 in order to be named outside the main squad.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
This is sad, even though we all had a feeling he might. I think I will go and cry now.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:( At least there's some closure (if true) and some of us can stop living in hope.

Very unfortunate for the guy. He was a good sportsman/footballer and a great athlete.

On the bright side we can close this chapter and replace the guy.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's been a massive massive loss for us since he's been out, really sad for him if true.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
All please rise and join with me in one last rendition of:

Oh, Owen Hargreaves!
You're the love of my life
Oh, Owen Hargraves
I'd let you shag my wife
Oh, Owen Hargreaves
I want curly hair too!

:(:(:(

Commadus

It does not come as a surprise his operation was high risk and of no real benefit it was a hit and hope procedure which I commented on a fair few times.

If the club want to do anything they should look into the whole affair and see what mistakes if any were made and hope we don't make them again in the future.

Brophs

The One and Only
Waiting for his lucrative contract to end before retiring???

Or am I being cynical?
If he had to retire on medical grounds I think his contract would be paid up anyway.

Plus he doesn't seem the type.

204Red

Its too bad, I figured he was going to leave United in the summer, but I had hoped he might continue his career, say back in the MLS or something like that.

Big loss for United, there aren't many decent replacement versions of him out there.

Bread

very very sad tbh, always liked him its such a shame its taken the best part of 3 years of hope for us and him to still end up at this point.