Hargreaves out for the start of the season....

Dion

Sure we would have.

I know it's just conjecture but we won the league and reached the finals of the CL the next year without him. So why not? Far too much emphasis is put on his participation the year we won the double. Hargreaves was a very good player for us, but he wasn't the reason we won the PL or the CL. It was a team effort and we had one of the best squads that year and Hargreaves was a part of it.

There is simply no way you can equate that win with his transfer. No matter which way you look at, we've taken a massive loss with the Hargreaves transfer. It's not his fault, but that' just the way it turned out. It will be remembered as a disastrous transfer for us.
By your logic he's right, you're wrong. You're essentially trying to say he made no difference, which is silly.

We had a strong squad, he was part of it. So if he wasn't there the squad would be weaker and the fine margins we won the CL by might have been erroded. Take the CL for example, with Fletcher playing on the right instead of Hargreaves would we have won that match? Would Fletcher have burried the penalty?
Hargreaves was a crucial part of a squad that won the Champions League and if he and Fletcher had been available for the Barca match the season after we might have won it again.

Devilton

By your logic he's right, you're wrong. You're essentially trying to say he made no difference, which is silly.

Hargreaves was a crucial part of a squad that won the Champions League and if he and Fletcher had been available for the Barca match the season after we might have won it again.
I'm not saying he didn't make a difference, I'm saying it wasn't as big as some of you would have us believe. He was part of the squad so obviously he played his part and he had a good season so i could never say he wasn't useful. But we won the league the following year, and we reached the finals. So that tells you we were already a pretty dominant team.

Whether he and Fletcher would have made a difference in that final is speculative. We want to believe they would have, but there's no way we will ever know will we? The best team in the world that year won...you had to give it Barca that day, they were simply better.

CR#7

Lots of hate for him being out so long and so be it but will never ever forget that pen he had against the rent boys in the CL final 08 was so class was worth his fee for that alone.

Minkaro

Lots of hate for him being out so long and so be it
Really? I've read people calling for him to be released, but I don't think anyone blames him for what happened.

Personally I feel really sorry for the guy. If I'm not mistaken, he left us at the age of 27, and is only just starting to train/play again now at the age of 29/30. So he's basically missed what are supposed to be the prime years of his career.

United 4 Life

Really? I've read people calling for him to be released, but I don't think anyone blames him for what happened.

Personally I feel really sorry for the guy. If I'm not mistaken, he left us at the age of 27, and is only just starting to train/play again now at the age of 29/30. So he's basically missed what are supposed to be the prime years of his career.
Yeah, there is no reason to hate him for it. He joins the best team in the world and only plays what 40 games in 3 seasons. He is not doing it by choice, and even the calls for him to be released are not right either, I am sure SAF is going to arrange some sort of deal with him depending on if he is able to play again.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I would have to agree.

If you told me we would pay a hefty fee and lose Hargreaves to injury for 2 years but have a Champions League win over Chelsea in Moscow with Drogba getting sent off and Terry missing the penalty, I take it in a fecking second.

Anyone who wouldn't is an idiot. Injuries happen, Champions League wins rarely happen. Oh and how bout his free kicks against Fulham and L'Arse or helping shut down Barca over 2 legs!

Man-United

I full well do. Every player who scored their pens and won us that trophy were worth every single little penny we spent on them, wouldn't swap that night for the world, after all it has only happened 3 times in 70 ish years.
Agree

United 4 Life

I would have to agree.

If you told me we would pay a hefty fee and lose Hargreaves to injury for 2 years but have a Champions League win over Chelsea in Moscow with Drogba getting sent off and Terry missing the penalty, I take it in a fecking second.

Anyone who wouldn't is an idiot. Injuries happen, Champions League wins rarely happen. Oh and how bout his free kicks against Fulham and L'Arse or helping shut down Barca over 2 legs!
He was worth every cent paid for him, it is not his fault he had those problems with his tendons. Whenever he played he gave it his all, have nothing but respect for him. Great professional, just a shame his knees are no good.

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
I full well do. Every player who scored their pens and won us that trophy were worth every single little penny we spent on them, wouldn't swap that night for the world, after all it has only happened 3 times in 70 ish years.
Hargreaves did not win us that trophy, he contributed and certainly did his share, but he was no key man. However, he has been unlucky. I feel for him, I am really happy he did get that season before the knee totally collapsed. He should consider retirement. That knee is probably fecked up beyond repair, he flopped for the right reasons. Shit like that happen in football. I believe his contract is over after this season, I don't suspect him getting a new one.

acnumber9

Some seem to be missing the point regarding whether his signing was worthwhile. The money we spent on Hargreaves could've been spent on another player who could've helped us to those trophies but also played a part in the next three seasons. I don't think Utd would be happy they've got value for money.

I'm always right

Some seem to be missing the point regarding whether his signing was worthwhile. The money we spent on Hargreaves could've been spent on another player who could've helped us to those trophies but also played a part in the next three seasons. I don't think Utd would be happy they've got value for money.
That player (Senna for example) could've missed his CL final pen, I think it's you who's missing the point.

acnumber9

That player (Senna for example) could've missed his CL final pen, I think it's you who's missing the point.
Or he may have scored the winner before extra time and played a part in helping us defend the trophy the following year. Hargreaves' abilities as a player seem to have improved since he got injured. He was bought as a central midfielder who only got in the team as a wide player. There was great debate in his first season as to whether his signing was even worthwhile.

I'm always right

Or he may have scored the winner before extra time and played a part in helping us defend the trophy the following year. Hargreaves' abilities as a player seem to have improved since he got injured. He was bought as a central midfielder who only got in the team as a wide player. There was great debate in his first season as to whether his signing was even worthwhile.
Ifs, Buts, Maybes... Hargreaves DID and that's all that matters, same goes for Anderson, Nani etc, worth every penny.

The part about him "only" getting in the team as à wide player is total nonsense, it was à positive that unlike Scholes, Anderson and Carrick (include Fletch too) Owen could do à top top quality job out wide when required. It's pretty pathetic to turn such à positive into à negative! And the "improved since he got injured" codswallop doesn't warrant à reply.

AttackingFlair

Erm no, nani had justified his fee since his brilliant performances, nothing to do with the penalty in Moscow. Some of you have crazy logic.

acnumber9

Ifs, Buts, Maybes... Hargreaves DID and that's all that matters, same goes for Anderson, Nani etc, worth every penny.

The part about him "only" getting in the team as à wide player is total nonsense, it was à positive that unlike Scholes, Anderson and Carrick (include Fletch too) Owen could do à top top quality job out wide when required. It's pretty pathetic to turn such à positive into à negative! And the "improved since he got injured" codswallop doesn't warrant à reply.
A player costing that much and only playing one season is not worth every penny. Don't get me wrong Hargreaves was a decent player when used out wide but even in his first season he didn't have the impact we should've got. We could've signed another player for that kind of money and been even more successful.

Have a look back at old threads from the 07/08 season and see whether Hargreaves was considered such an important player.

I'm always right

Have a look back at old threads from the 07/08 season and see whether Hargreaves was considered such an important player.
More words in mouth here too... when did I claim he was "such an important player" in 07/08? Injuries even that season put pay to that, but for the small percentage of games he played he had an important role in à good few, Arsenal, 2 games v Barca, CL final spring to mind.

acnumber9

More words in mouth here too... when did I claim he was "such an important player" in 07/08? Injuries even that season put pay to that, but for the small percentage of games he played he had an important role in à good few, Arsenal, 2 games v Barca, CL final spring to mind.
You aren't the only person in this thread. The whole argument here is that we would've been better off spending the money on a player who could've been more important for longer.

I'm always right

You aren't the only person in this thread. The whole argument here is that we would've been better off spending the money on a player who could've been more important for longer.
Stop quoting me then :confused:

The whole argument for many of us is that that money bought us an important goal vs. Arsenal to help win the league and a CL final penalty shoot-out goal, for many of us that alone was worth the money. Obviously in the long run it would've been nicer to have a player who can actually play once in a while but history will show that United won a CL in 08 and that Owen Hargreaves was a great help in that.

B Cantona

Desperate
Hargreaves was fantastic in Europe, particularly against Barca, and I thought he was one of the best players on the pitch against Chelsea, and he wad Fergie's key tactical suprise. He was important in the league too... would anyone honestly go back and not sign him, risking the course of history? I'm with Sharky, when you're involved in that kind of achievement, you're already worth your fee

A lot of angerness about him around, he's not even out with a knee problem at the moment. He'll be back

VoetbalWizard

Hargreaves was fantastic in Europe, particularly against Barca, and I thought he was one of the best players on the pitch against Chelsea, and he wad Fergie's key tactical suprise. He was important in the league too... would anyone honestly go back and not sign him, risking the course of history? I'm with Sharky, when you're involved in that kind of achievement, you're already worth your fee

A lot of angerness about him around, he's not even out with a knee problem at the moment. He'll be back
he does the biz in europe, but besides his FK against arsenal, i think he has never been very good in the league. He spent too much time in the bundesliga and it shows when he plays in central midfield positions for us because he takes ages on the ball. Gets caught in possession too much.

However, he is worth his price if he stayed fit just for his ability to do a job in the knockout stages in europe. He would've helped immensely in Rome for instance.

Eriku

That, and also feck me what a penalty!!! It was a better Sheareresque penalty than I've ever seen Shearer take.

Doevle

That, and also feck me what a penalty!!! It was a better Sheareresque penalty than I've ever seen Shearer take.
It annoys me that the English commentator (Tyldesley?) said "Hargreaves...oh, just" when the penalty went in.

I'm always right

Bang on the money Brad. Would any United fan choose to go back in time and not sign him knowing what they would be risking? Surely not.... although I know a lot of Chelsea and Arsenal fans who would!!

acnumber9

Stop quoting me then :confused:

The whole argument for many of us is that that money bought us an important goal vs. Arsenal to help win the league and a CL final penalty shoot-out goal, for many of us that alone was worth the money. Obviously in the long run it would've been nicer to have a player who can actually play once in a while but history will show that United won a CL in 08 and that Owen Hargreaves was a great help in that.
It was you who began qouting me.

I understand yours and many others arguement but their is a flip side to that which the rest of us are arguing. In the grand scheme of things I don't think his signing has been a good one as there are many players who could've done what Hargreaves did and perhaps a little more.

I'm always right

It was you who began qouting me.

I understand yours and manus arguement but their is a flip side to that which the rest of us are arguing. In the grand scheme of things I don't think his signing has been a good one as there are many players who could've done what Hargreaves did and perhaps a little more.
Are you losing it? I quote YOU when I am replying to YOU, that's how this internetty thing works. On the other hand you quote me when replying to all? :confused:

Answer mine and Brad's question number9, given the choice would you risk changing history and go back and NOT sign Hargreaves?

acnumber9

Are you losing it? I quote YOU when I am replying to YOU, that's how this internetty thing works. On the other hand you quote me when replying to all? :confused:

Answer mine and Brad's question number9, given the choice would you risk changing history and go back and NOT sign Hargreaves?
Have a look at who quoted who first and see which person is the one replying.

As far as changing history goes then no I wouldn't but it's not really relevant to whether his signing was a good one or not. We won the double the year William Prunier played for us. I wouldn't change that season either. It doesn't stop him being a bad signing. Winning the league didn't stop Veron being a waste of money.

acnumber9

As your point about replying to all goes. Of course it is for all or else we could conduct the debate by private message. While the point is in main replying to something you say it can contain information on the rest of the debate. Your posts seemed to suggest you thought he was an important player so that part was for you and others on the thread as a whole.