Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Abraxas

The problem here is an assumption that we would have a great chance to win his signature for free. I think in one seasons time he'd consider us alongside Poch's Chelsea, potentially Real Madrid and also Bayern Munich. At that stage it doesn't become a great opportunity anymore.

Monitoring wouldn't be a good move. I'd like us to do what Real did with Camavinga/Tchouameni and just get the big deal done early in the window. Then we can focus on sales and improve the rest of the squad.

I don't think its amateur to pay 100m for Kane. Clubs do drop big amounts on players - Kane comes with an English premium and I accept we will need to pay a snip more than we'd ideally want, but such is the desperation at our club to have a TOP class 9. We haven't bought an established striker for the 9 that's worthy of the shirt since what, Zlatan? Let that sink in.

Its fine to be confident but the fact remains there are still massive question marks for a player of their experience and rawness to come in and carry our forward line. It would be quite a stupid move in my opinion to be gagging for a proper 9 for almost 5 seasons and then see us pass on a generational striker in favour of a flavour of the month kid who might or might not work out.
It's not really a stretch to say that we have a great chance to sign Kane on a free. Why wouldn't we have a great chance? I can't read Kane's mind but we're a huge draw by any standard you want to look at, and we have some unique offerings for Kane compared to our competition. I'd rather be us than Bayern Munich for example. More competitive league that keeps him at the forefront of the public eye, even if they'll win him a title not many care about outside Germany, we can beat them on wages if we really want to dig deep, we keep him chasing his personal goals. I'd rather be us than Chelsea because we're not a mess as things stand, there's only so much Uncle Poch can offer to Kane, he spent years with Poch and they won sweet F.A which is exactly the reason he wants a move. He'd already have a cup if he was with us this season! Real Madrid would have a great shout, it would be silly to think otherwise, but apart from that I think we're right in the mix if we convince him and offer a great package. I think you underrate our possibilities, but its normal, many seem to operate under a cloud of depression when it comes to judging our place in football.

It's not a certainty, not without risk if one is to believe that we absolutely must sign Harry Kane which seems to be your stance. I detect some romanticism about the idea for you that he belongs with us which I don't really share, I think he's just a very good footballer and not our only avenue that makes sense, I'm not really attached to him I just see an opportunity to exploit due to his contract and then a Plan B, C and D if it doesn't happen.

Getting the deal done early is too reliant on Levy to be a reliable strategy going into the window. It's an idea but not one we have full control over. The only way that will happen is if we put such an insane amount forward it is not refusable for Levy, and it is hard to think what that fee might be so early in the window when they don't have visibility of the landscape. Put yourself in Levy's shoes, he might want to keep his cards close to his chest and see what materialises so he has the best chance of coming out of this Kane situation with a modicum of dignity. I think it's one of those that will drag on and on. Also you say get it done and then address the rest of the squad. Not so simple, we could be waiting around wondering if we'll finalise the deal because of the financial ramifications of the fee, the structure of the deal, wages and how that impacts the rest of our summer. Levy is not the nicest fella to be doing a big deal with in that sense.

Have we really tried to sign many prime or high potential strikers since Zlatan? We've been fed a diet of old men and loans, while hoping the perpetually underperforming Martial comes good. We haven't really tried to buy a Kane or a top young prospect so I think there are many options compared to what we did in those years. It just depends on what we want from a striker and a signing overall.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's not really a stretch to say that we have a great chance to sign Kane on a free. Why wouldn't we have a great chance? I can't read Kane's mind but we're a huge draw by any standard you want to look at, and we have some unique offerings for Kane compared to our competition. I'd rather be us than Bayern Munich for example. More competitive league that keeps him at the forefront of the public eye, even if they'll win him a title not many care about outside Germany, we can beat them on wages if we really want to dig deep, we keep him chasing his personal goals. I'd rather be us than Chelsea because we're not a mess as things stand, there's only so much Uncle Poch can offer to Kane, he spent years with Poch and they won sweet F.A which is exactly the reason he wants a move. He'd already have a cup if he was with us this season! Real Madrid would have a great shout, it would be silly to think otherwise, but apart from that I think we're right in the mix if we convince him and offer a great package. I think you underrate our possibilities, but its normal, many seem to operate under a cloud of depression when it comes to judging our place in football.

It's not a certainty, not without risk if one is to believe that we absolutely must sign Harry Kane which seems to be your stance. I detect some romanticism about the idea for you that he belongs with us which I don't really share, I think he's just a very good footballer and not our only avenue that makes sense, I'm not really attached to him I just see an opportunity to exploit due to his contract and then a Plan B, C and D if it doesn't happen.

Getting the deal done early is too reliant on Levy to be a reliable strategy going into the window. It's an idea but not one we have full control over. The only way that will happen is if we put such an insane amount forward it is not refusable for Levy, and it is hard to think what that fee might be so early in the window when they don't have visibility of the landscape. Put yourself in Levy's shoes, he might want to keep his cards close to his chest and see what materialises so he has the best chance of coming out of this Kane situation with a modicum of dignity. I think it's one of those that will drag on and on. Also you say get it done and then address the rest of the squad. Not so simple, we could be waiting around wondering if we'll finalise the deal because of the financial ramifications of the fee, the structure of the deal, wages and how that impacts the rest of our summer. Levy is not the nicest fella to be doing a big deal with in that sense.

Have we really tried to sign many prime or high potential strikers since Zlatan? We've been fed a diet of old men and loans, while hoping the perpetually underperforming Martial comes good. We haven't really tried to buy a Kane or a top young prospect so I think there are many options compared to what we did in those years. It just depends on what we want from a striker and a signing overall.
I think there is a big risk in waiting for free. We are a good draw, but so will Chelsea, Bayern and of course say Real Madrid.
I strongly disagree with your Poch point by the way, it's well known how close their relationship is and how Poch was the reason for Spurs to become relevant for silverware in the first place. If anything I think his first choice would be to stay in London and work under a familiar manager for a more ambitious club than it would be to move to us, but who knows - it would be a lottery at that stage.

Re. putting myself in Levy's shoes, it actually suits best to get a solid £100m in early on and use that to arm a new manager to rebuild the squad (in addition to the existing transfer budget). It financially enables the reset a lot better. I think Levy is a business man more than anything else and he would consider £100m over £0 in the summer.

And re. who we have tried to sign, no one really, which speaks to the shit strategy we've had. But we also haven't really had this sort of opportunity. Romantism? Perhaps. But Kane's quality and guarantee of big goals is undeniable. There is no safer bet than goals than Harry Kane, and that's exactly what our team needs to compete. I think Ten Hag is of the mindset to compete now, not later and that's why he appears to be pushing for him.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
In a one season perspective then Harry Kane is by far our best striker option regardless of price and age profile. Probably also in a two season perspective.

If we’re looking for a striker with the highest potential in a long term perspective it’s probably Victor Osemhen if we judge him by this seasons goal production. The uncertainties with him is his injury record and that his productivity is mainly from playing in Serie A. Not to mention that his price would be astronomic.

From a value for money perspective then it’s probably Ferguson or Højlund. Both should be available for under £75m with potential reasonable resale value if they don’t succeed.

I personally would go for Kane if we can get him in the ballpark of £70-90m. The upside with such deal is getting instant production from day one and I can easily seeing him continue to be productive another three seasons or so. He’s a player with superb instincts and great positioning awareness and his game isn’t relying on speed or accelerating. Similar profile to other great strikers like Lewa and Benz.

In a season or two I would try to buy someone like Ferguson if he continues to develop as expected. He would probably cost a fortune but with new wealthy owners that shouldn’t be a problem. Let him compete with Kane in his final season to the get the best out of both when it’s time for changes.

Abraxas

I think there is a big risk in waiting for free. We are a good draw, but so will Chelsea, Bayern and of course say Real Madrid.
I strongly disagree with your Poch point by the way, it's well known how close their relationship is and how Poch was the reason for Spurs to become relevant for silverware in the first place. If anything I think his first choice would be to stay in London and work under a familiar manager for a more ambitious club than it would be to move to us, but who knows - it would be a lottery at that stage.

Re. putting myself in Levy's shoes, it actually suits best to get a solid £100m in early on and use that to arm a new manager to rebuild the squad (in addition to the existing transfer budget). It financially enables the reset a lot better. I think Levy is a business man more than anything else and he would consider £100m over £0 in the summer.

And re. who we have tried to sign, no one really, which speaks to the shit strategy we've had. But we also haven't really had this sort of opportunity. Romantism? Perhaps. But Kane's quality and guarantee of big goals is undeniable. There is no safer bet than goals than Harry Kane, and that's exactly what our team needs to compete. I think Ten Hag is of the mindset to compete now, not later and that's why he appears to be pushing for him.
I don't dispute their relationship, maybe Poch and Kane share lots of cuddles together, I just don't see sentimentality being a driving force behind Kane's decision. It's probably not lost on him that the last time he got sentimental he signed his life away at Spurs with no release clause and they've won the square root of feck all in that time. I reckon he will want something in front of him that offers a better chance of silverware as a minimum. Relevant is relevant, but a trophy is a trophy and we won something this year, have a shot at another and we're improving. Chelsea have to untangle themselves from their current predicament so if I'm our recruitment team I have no particular panic about backing our position over theirs. They are simply the facts of the past season. That's why we pay Murtough and co the big money, they should be able to judge our position, and it shouldn't be left to the Gods or opinion, we should be in Kane's ear and keeping on top of it so we know Kane's thinking too.

When I say put yourself in Levy's shoes, I mean take on a realistic form of Levy based on his past actions. The chances we're wrapping a deal up in the early weeks of the window are quite low IMO, but I think you're happy to throw these insane sums around whereas the club have to work out a concrete deal and that's probably the difference. They won't want to pay Levy's first sum, they'll want to structure a deal, there are going to be some obstacles with this one.

It's strange that you say we haven't had this opportunity when the most attractive thing about the opportunity is around his contractual situation, which you aren't making a strong play around by bidding 100 million early in a window. I would say an opportunity to get Kane always existed. Most players are available at a price, he would have gone to City if they coughed up. So he was always there and available. The only thing we're getting is some kind of marginal reduction on his market value, which kind of depends on what we believe his market value is as a guy at 30 with 1 year. So I don't really know what the huge opportunity is with the way you want to go about it. It's really just buying Kane for a lot of money which was always an option.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This bit doesn't really make much sense considering you're are also saying Bayern, Chelsea and Real Madrid will be interested in him on a free. Are they only interested because he's on a free or because he's a player they actually want?

Also why would £100m be too rich for the other clubs tastes if they do want him? Furthermore if Kane has got such a great relationship with Poch, surely he will just want to go there this summer?

I don't see how anything you've said makes us better candidates going for him now and getting him at 100m, than waiting to try and convince him to move at the end of his contract.

Last edited:

lex talionis

I don't blame him. But he is part of the reason why ETH might see the need to bring in Weghorst in some games. Because he supposedly is good at winning second balls and high balls. I understand your notion, I have no intention in blaming the GK for everything, I am still a bit of a fan but it is true, that his substandard kicking is part of the reason why we are so bad. Less prominent example is the high line. DDG is extremely uncomfortable away from his line which leads to us as a team needing to stay deeper. From a deeper position, it is more difficult to press high and if you force errors they are further away from goal.

DDG isn't the problem, he is part of the problem. Just like us missing a good striker is part of the problem.

Too much hyperbole for me. But I was told not to take everything to literate so alright. Casemiro had a very good 1st season for me to.

True.

So true. Bruno is his own chapter in the "problem" book. Which puts him in light he doesn't deserve into because he is great at what he does.

All teams are missing chances. And I wouldn't expect Kane to be at any position those chances were missed on. I don't think, we are creating much of note to be perfectly honest. We are doing better than last year and probably even the year before but it certainly is key issue of our team. I mean, how often have those chances been long balls in behind the defense. That is all good and well but at some point, that isn't going to cut it. This lesson had to be learned by Ole and I am pretty sure that ETH already knows this.

So Spurs were worse than we but had the great striker so many in here would like to see at United. But where did Spurs end up :) ? They are sitting on 8th place. In terms of goals scored they are 6th, in terms of xG they are 8th. Goals wise they are behind Brighton, Newcastle, Pool and Arsenal who with no notable striker (I know, also a bit hyperbole). xG wise they are behind those teams plus us AND Brentford.

I get your point to a degree but I just don't see the connection how one individual player would have such an effect.

Granted. I mean, if we could be sure, that Kane will age like Lewa and Benzema, it'd be a different ballgame as well. But we don't know. And sometimes it just takes a stupid foul for a serious injury. The older the player, the longer it takes to get back. Plus adding another older player to an already aging squad (especially those who are considered 1st teamers) is risky as well as it could just push us into a situation where we have to replace half the squad...

Believe me, I have nothing at all against the player. If he could be brought in for like 50 or even 60 million, I'd be fine, but the figures around are higher. And I think, if we don't bring in GK and a midfielder (plus the striker of course) we'll get into trouble. And for a GK, it is probably not a good idea to try to save money and looking at our midfield, it shouldn't be another veteran as well but potentially somebody approach his natural peak.
I'm not sure how to do the multi-quote thing so this might be a bit messy.

On Point #1, I don't see the connection between De Gea and needing to bring in Weghorst in some games. You bring in Weghorst either because Martial is unfit or is underperforming or if you need a bit of bite up front to close out a match.

On Point #2, De Gea's passing out of the back has been poor at times -- especially when he put Eriksen under duress v Brentford and then when he put Maguire under duress against Sevilla, although to be fair Maguire should have been able to manage the ball De Gea gave him -- but the real problem with our playing out of the back is the relative ball-playing weakness of both our RBs, AWB and Dalot. It would be harsh to characterize them as poor on the ball, but they are far from great on the ball. And for a while AWB was in the "get rid" camp. Dalot was and is seen as a decent squad man, but hardly imperious with the ball at his feet. Shaw is much better with the ball and I eagerly describe him as a world class, but you watch carefully what opposing teams will do is shade us playing out of the back to our right side, with predictable consequences. There's a lot of talk in mancunia of needing to bring in a RB, precisely for this reason.

On Point #3, I'm not having the suggestion, or at least insinuation, that our need for a striker is no greater than our need for a keeper. We literally have a keeper -- three keepers in fact. We literally have no striker. Martial has never been nor is now genuinely a striker. His strength is taking on a defender from the left side, the same left side that Rashford has made his. Weghorst is nowhere near EPL quality and no way can be described as a proper striker.

I'll skip a couple of points.

On the point re Spurs, I don't see a refutation. What I see with Spurs is one standout player mired in a substandard squad with chaos at the managerial helm. Conte did Kane no favors with his dreadful tactics that were built around defending and nicking a goal. There are no guarantees with but if Kane is backed up with a solid midfield (we need an upgrade at 8, and a backup at 6, and possibly a backup for Bruno although that would be arguably a luxury) AND if Bruno and Antony get their act together Kane will easily deliver the 20+ goals that Martial and Weghorst are simply incapable of delivering. Kane score 20+ goals won't put us in a position to blow City out of the water, but it will put us in a position to compete with City. But to compete with City, we not only need a striker of Kane's level, but we do need to strengthen midfield as well. If all you're saying is that after we've brought in Kane and 2-3 midfielders that we should also upgrade on De Gea, I'd be fine with that but I would also question whether there really is enough left in the budget to bring in a keeper of Costa's quality who would make the upgrade worth the effort.

As for the right amount for Kane, what matters is the totality of the spend to address the known needs. If we address all our needs I wouldn't care if Kane cost us 200m. But if Kane costs 200m and therefore we ignore our other needs, I would care. If Kane at 80m allows to bring in the right 8 and 6, let's do it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This bit doesn't really make much sense considering you're are also saying Bayern, Chelsea and Real Madrid will be interested in him on a free. Are they only interested because he's on a free or because he's a player they actually want?

Also why would £100m be too rich for the other clubs tastes if they do want him? Furthermore if Kane has got such a great relationship with Poch, surely he will just want to go there this summer?

I don't see how anything you've said makes us better candidates going for him now and getting him at 100m, than waiting to try and convince him to move at the end of his contract.
Also. Why would Kane agree to move to United if by waiting another year, he'll have more options in Bayern, Chelsea or Madrid? plus probably get a hefty sign on fee or bigger wage.

NZT-One

I'm not sure how to do the multi-quote thing so this might be a bit messy.
No problem. Feature is easy though. When you quote a post or hit reply, the text of the post is "inside" two lines of text in brackets "[ ... ]". First one is QUOTE="NZT-One... and opens the quote, the 2nd is /QUOTE and closes it. You can copy and paste those lines to create multi-quotes. You can easily experiment with it using the preview button.

On Point #1, I don't see the connection between De Gea and needing to bring in Weghorst in some games. You bring in Weghorst either because Martial is unfit or is underperforming or if you need a bit of bite up front to close out a match.
Obviously we don't know for sure but the assumend connection is that when ETH notices that the opponents is trying to go for it and starts to press us higher, then our manager expects us to use more long ball punts due to the pressure. As a chance to not lose any ball, Weghorst comes in handy as he is fighting for 2nd balls and he is quite a frame (although suprisingly bad aerialy).

On Point #2, De Gea's passing out of the back has been poor at times -- especially when he put Eriksen under duress v Brentford and then when he put Maguire under duress against Sevilla, although to be fair Maguire should have been able to manage the ball De Gea gave him -- but the real problem with our playing out of the back is the relative ball-playing weakness of both our RBs, AWB and Dalot. It would be harsh to characterize them as poor on the ball, but they are far from great on the ball. And for a while AWB was in the "get rid" camp. Dalot was and is seen as a decent squad man, but hardly imperious with the ball at his feet. Shaw is much better with the ball and I eagerly describe him as a world class, but you watch carefully what opposing teams will do is shade us playing out of the back to our right side, with predictable consequences. There's a lot of talk in mancunia of needing to bring in a RB, precisely for this reason.
I agree. AWB has been targeted by opponents under Ole as well. So yes, it isn't just De Gea who is preventing us from playing "the beautiful game". He is just a factor in a group. And if he would be awesome in all other areas, I guess we could deal with it, but he isn't. Even his shotstopping is regressing to a degree. Or the overall level in the league is increasing so he doesn't stand out anymore. The stats clearly show that unfortunately. (I linked to an earlier post in my last post in the "ST or GK-thread"). DDG is also one if not the biggest reason, why we play are pretty deep defensive line which directly impacts our ability to press and congest space, so he definitely has effects on our game apart from anything where shots are coming in.

On Point #3, I'm not having the suggestion, or at least insinuation, that our need for a striker is no greater than our need for a keeper. We literally have a keeper -- three keepers in fact. We literally have no striker. Martial has never been nor is now genuinely a striker. His strength is taking on a defender from the left side, the same left side that Rashford has made his. Weghorst is nowhere near EPL quality and no way can be described as a proper striker.
Yes and as many have pointed out, the reluctance towards Kane isn't a reluctance against a striker or even Kane individually. It is against that big chunk of money for one player.

I'll skip a couple of points.

On the point re Spurs, I don't see a refutation. What I see with Spurs is one standout player mired in a substandard squad with chaos at the managerial helm. Conte did Kane no favors with his dreadful tactics that were built around defending and nicking a goal. There are no guarantees with but if Kane is backed up with a solid midfield (we need an upgrade at 8, and a backup at 6, and possibly a backup for Bruno although that would be arguably a luxury) AND if Bruno and Antony get their act together Kane will easily deliver the 20+ goals that Martial and Weghorst are simply incapable of delivering. Kane score 20+ goals won't put us in a position to blow City out of the water, but it will put us in a position to compete with City. But to compete with City, we not only need a striker of Kane's level, but we do need to strengthen midfield as well. If all you're saying is that after we've brought in Kane and 2-3 midfielders that we should also upgrade on De Gea, I'd be fine with that but I would also question whether there really is enough left in the budget to bring in a keeper of Costa's quality who would make the upgrade worth the effort.
Yeah who knows. I absolutely can see that Kane can contribute in our team. For sure. But at what price... And I don't mean in numbers. But in players not brought in because he is so expensive. Plus there is a good chance that we will be in a similar situation in 2 or 3 years time. I mean, not all strikers age as well as Lewa or Benzema. We've seen Rooney. To a degree even Van Persie or Ronaldo. When the dynamism goes away, usually others have to step up - will our team ready to do this then? Of course that can work but again... at what price. Plus he'd be also in a group with Casemiro, Eriksen, Varane, maybe even Shaw and Bruno who will need replacement around the same time. Imagine all those players are in our current starting lineup. Wise would to bring in their deputies just now when good opportunities appear... I think, we have to look ahead.

As for the right amount for Kane, what matters is the totality of the spend to address the known needs. If we address all our needs I wouldn't care if Kane cost us 200m. But if Kane costs 200m and therefore we ignore our other needs, I would care. If Kane at 80m allows to bring in the right 8 and 6, let's do it.
Add in a Goalkeeper and Kane for 70, I might be on board. But I agree, those position are the ones I want to see adressed this year. And I am not expecting Tier 1 players there, a stop-gap or two will do the trick but we have to be sensible and we have to think ahead.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Same reason he signed his hundred year contract with Spurs probably. He’s maybe poorly advised or just not too bright?
It's just weird, man. The only way he might accept the move if United offer him insanely high wage on 5 year contract, to make it worth for him to transfer this Summer.

croadyman

We have Vitek, Laird, Dalot, Jurado, Kambwala, Bennett, Alvaro, Malacia, Zidane, Savage, Mejbri, Mainoo, Pellestri, Diallo, Garnacho, Antony, Shoretire, McNeil and Hugill at the club whilst Rashford, Fernandes, Martinez and Shaw are all at their peak yet we don’t want more experience ?

Outside of Varane, Casemiro and Eriksen who is 30 or over in the club ? We can’t just sign a load of players in their early to mid 20’s and rely on a couple of experienced players, if we can get Kane for £70-£75 million it’s a no brainer.
Can we get him for that sort of price though

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Can we get him for that sort of price though
Hard one to call, logic says we should but this is Levy, United should make a bid around that and if he starts messing about walk way, otherwise it's going to feck up the whole transfer window, Levy has done it to us before and I'd hope we've learned that lesson

skc_18

It's just weird, man. The only way he might accept the move if United offer him insanely high wage on 5 year contract, to make it worth for him to transfer this Summer.
Yeah, I think people are assuming Kane is looking for a move. Kane might be planning to stay this year to walk away on free next season and get a signing bonus.
On the contrary, Levy might be the one who is looking to sell. I think Spurs squad is weak, lot of players have their contract expiring in 1-2 years. Best way for levy would be to buy 1-2 young forwards from Kane money and strengthen the squad.

There would be many clubs interested in Kane for a price of 60 m but anything beyond clubs would prefer to wait 1 more year.

Tarrou

Also. Why would Kane agree to move to United if by waiting another year, he'll have more options in Bayern, Chelsea or Madrid? plus probably get a hefty sign on fee or bigger wage.
He likely doesn't want to move abroad because of the record. And likely doesn't want to go to Chelsea because they're Chelsea.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah, I think people are assuming Kane is looking for a move. Kane might be planning to stay this year to walk away on free next season and get a signing bonus.
On the contrary, Levy might be the one who is looking to sell. I think Spurs squad is weak, lot of players have their contract expiring in 1-2 years. Best way for levy would be to buy 1-2 young forwards from Kane money and strengthen the squad.

There would be many clubs interested in Kane for a price of 60 m but anything beyond clubs would prefer to wait 1 more year.
Yeah. The talk that Levy would play a hardball this time is hard to accept.

He likely doesn't want to move abroad because of the record. And likely doesn't want to go to Chelsea because they're Chelsea.
So we can just wait another year then, and get him for "free".

croadyman

I just don’t get the ‘Kane is too old’ or ‘he’s injury prone’ stuff I see on here as he’s 4-5 years younger than Benzema and Lewandowski who are regarded as the best centre forwards in the world other than Kane and I’m pretty sure Kane has been an ever present this season for Spurs in the league ?

Just because it’s being reported that Spurs want £100 million to let Kane go doesn’t mean it will be £100 million and whenever it’s United the media seem to include the wages and agents fees in a deal for us, it’s highly likely looking at the last games of the season on Sunday that Spurs will end up in Europa Conference next season so Spurs will need to invest in the squad to at least attempt a CL place challenge.

At the end of the day Lewis and Levy are businessmen and will look at the reality of their main asset bringing in £70+ million this summer then reinvesting that into the squad or staging a highly unlikely attempt at a top four spot then losing that asset for nothing and having to fork out £70+ million for a replacement, I can also see Kane pushing behind the scenes for a move as he’s given his whole career to them.

As a player Kane makes perfect sense as he is a prolific creator as well as a prolific goal scorer and ETH loves a strong striker that can link play as well as finish moves off, is there a better striker in the world than Kane at that ? Sky Sports News are reporting we’re in for Evan Ferguson for summer of 2024 too so maybe we’re already planning for 3-4 years of Kane as first choice whilst Ferguson learns from him then takes over the first choice role.
I really like that plan as well,who would people in this thread go for this summer if they are prepared to try and get Kane on free

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I feel like what we need is Firmino or Alvarez type of striker to get the best out of Rashford and compliment Rashford.

croadyman

Who do we miss out on if we do buy Kane this summer? Will we be watching Hojland and Osimhen and Ferguson sign for our rivals? As much as I would have loved having Kane in our team for the past few years, I think our deficiencies are greater than he alone can fix. Buy one of the up and comers, get Kane on a free next year.
Still think Napoli will price clubs out for Osimhen

croadyman

If you're so adamant Kane can play until he's 35 and have a career like Benzema and Lewa after turning 30 then surely you sign him on a free instead of paying £100m?

We could use this summer to spend money on all other positions and develop our teamplay to be more possession based and we can sign Kane in 24/25 to make the real title push.

Paying £100m for someone with 1yr left on their deal is irresponsible. Even Madrid waited a year for Mbappe to be on a free, although that did backfire.
Personally I am not adamant he can play until 35 but he certainly doesn't rely on pace much like is the case with Lewandowski

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Yeah. The talk that Levy would play a hardball this time is hard to accept.

So we can just wait another year then, and get him for "free".
If we don't get him this summer I don't think we get him full stop, United need a top striker, without one it's hard to see us qualifying for the CL next season and Kane isn't likely to move to a non-Cl club

croadyman

Hard one to call, logic says we should but this is Levy, United should make a bid around that and if he starts messing about walk way, otherwise it's going to feck up the whole transfer window, Levy has done it to us before and I'd hope we've learned that lesson
Yeah completely agree with that strategy,want to believe we have learnt for paying such a premium on Antony late in window

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If we don't get him this summer I don't think we get him full stop, United need a top striker, without one it's hard to see us qualifying for the CL next season and Kane isn't likely to move to a non-Cl club
Meh.. I'm not too bothered if we miss him for 100m.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well of course they do, there's no one to pass or cross to 90% of the time
So you think Rashford and Antony main asset is their passing and crossing ability? I'm asking this because I'm worried about our wingers' playing style.

I checked Antony FBref stats last season at Ajax, he has lower xA (4.5) but higher xG (7.1). At Ajax there was striker to score like Haller. However, despite of having Haller, Antony still preferred to shoot. This shows that Antony likes to shoot.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
So you think Rashford and Antony main asset is their passing and crossing ability.

I checked Antony FBref stats last season at Ajax, he has lower xA (4.5) but higher xG (7.1). At Ajax there was striker to score like Haller. However, despite of having Haller, Antony still prefers to shoot. This shows that Antony likes to shoot.
Of course not but there would be more likelihood they would cross now and then, anyway, if we ever transition to ETH's preferred pressing and possession game then I think Rashford's days are numbered because he's not really suited to that way of playing IMO, yeah I know controversial, but at some point, in the 12-18 months or so, there's probably going to have to be a decision between Rashford and Garnacho

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We have a lot of foreign based fans on here who happen to think all English players are either rubbish or overrated.

It's actually baffling how poor some of their knowledge is. Kane would immediately become our best player.
It has nothing to do with knowledge but rather having been burnt one too many times by our transfer record. The Harry Kane of today - there’s very few clubs that won’t take him. He’s obviously a level or three above anyone we have in the entire squad. But not every striker has the stellar longevity of the likes of Benzema or Lewandowski. And that’s a legitimate concern given Kane will cost a monster fee. One bad injury and it’s 80m down the drain that sets the club back years as opposed to a 23/24 year old who’d have a better chance of overcoming transitional / injury issues.

Again I’m not against Kane but the concerns many are legitimate.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Do you expect our wingers to provide assists to our striker? Our wingers only shoot.
They can if instructed and they shouldn't be the only players that provide assists and chances. So we have multiple positions that can provide them but only one goal scorer in Rashford. We need a goalscorer more than anything.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They can if instructed and they shouldn't be the only players that provide assists and chances. So we have multiple positions that can provide them but only one goal scorer in Rashford. We need a goalscorer more than anything.
To do so we need to instruct Rashford and Antony to do more crossings and passing. Especially for someone like Rashford who is more goalscorer than creator, do you think it's best way to do?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
To do so we need to instruct Rashford and Antony to do more crossings and passing. Especially for someone like Rashford who is more goalscorer than creator, do you think it's best way to do?
Yes because by doing more crossing and passing doesn't mean they aren't allowed to try and score goals. On top of that there's Bruno, Eriksen, Casemiro and maybe new midfielders that can help with that. We need people to be on the end of those chances and to score. Also by playing forwards that they don't trust to finish chances like Weghorst, it will only make them more reluctant to play those passes which in turn make everything less productive just because of trust issue. Add top striker into the mix and I guarantee you those midfielders will be more willing to create chances.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes because by doing more crossing and passing doesn't mean they aren't allowed to try and score goals. On top of that there's Bruno, Eriksen, Casemiro and maybe new midfielders that can help with that. We need people to be on the end of them and to score.
I'm not saying they aren't allow or try to score, my concern is can they deliver the quality of crossing and passing when their main asset is their shooting?

For example Rashford, if we ask him to do more crossing and passing to striker, his number of goals can be significantly impacted (lowered) while his number of assists might not increased significantly due to his crossing and passing quality aren't as good as the likes of Mahrez or Giggs (for instance). The reason is because we ask him to do something that is not his main asset. It's like asking Kane to play on the wing to dribble past players but doesn't mean it will work because Kane's quality or main asset isn't his dribbling and pace.

ROFLUTION

28 goals. That's quite amazing in a team like Spurs. To think Ronaldo's golden season was 31 goals, it's hard to fathom if people don't want him here due to his play.

I can get that you want Osimhen long term, but he's simply not for sale.

dinostar77

What if Erik decides that's Kane
Id be delighted if we got kane. However i have my doubts, levy would let a deal happen with a PL club. Plus kane's agent is useless and i cant see kane burning bridges with the club fans just to get a move to another PL club.

Pickle85

The problem here is an assumption that we would have a great chance to win his signature for free. I think in one seasons time he'd consider us alongside Poch's Chelsea, potentially Real Madrid and also Bayern Munich. At that stage it doesn't become a great opportunity anymore.

Monitoring wouldn't be a good move. I'd like us to do what Real did with Camavinga/Tchouameni and just get the big deal done early in the window. Then we can focus on sales and improve the rest of the squad.

I don't think its amateur to pay 100m for Kane. Clubs do drop big amounts on players - Kane comes with an English premium and I accept we will need to pay a snip more than we'd ideally want, but such is the desperation at our club to have a TOP class 9. We haven't bought an established striker for the 9 that's worthy of the shirt since what, Zlatan? Let that sink in.

Its fine to be confident but the fact remains there are still massive question marks for a player of their experience and rawness to come in and carry our forward line. It would be quite a stupid move in my opinion to be gagging for a proper 9 for almost 5 seasons and then see us pass on a generational striker in favour of a flavour of the month kid who might or might not work out.
Agree with all of this, particularly the bolded. He's got no connection to united so I'm not sure why done almost see it as a foregone conclusion that we'd be able to pick him up on a free. I do think 100 mill would be too much for him but if we could get him for 80 or so I'd be chuffed.