Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Oranges038

Outside of Rooney when was the last time we had a great striker for more than 5 years ? RVN comes to mind but the likes of RVP, Yorke, Tevez and Berbatov were all 2-3 years so I don’t get this fascination with us buying a striker to last a decade.

Personally I’d be happy with either Kane or Osimhen as they’re probably the two best strikers available this summer and both offer different qualities. Whichever ETH goes for I trust him but anyone who believes signing a younger striker means we’d get longer out of them than Kane is deluded, as soon as Real come calling they’d be off.
Think most of us would be happy with a striker who could a) stay fit b) score goals c) do all that pressing stuff, even for one season never mind 10. This team badly needs a natural goalscorer that is in their prime or about to hit it.

Kane fits the bill, 2/3 years out of him would be fine, provided the transfer fee isn't outrageous. Start tapping him up now, get him unsettled and in the summer I'd offer 50/60m as he's entering his last year, if Levy wouldn't accept, just walk away and look for someone else.

Oshimen would cost more than 100m, for that money he needs to be the perfect fit for the team or we'll another expensive flop on our hands. Personally I've not seen enough of him to know how he plays, or whether he'd suit playing with Rashford and Antony in the wide areas. But, if ETH thinks that he's the one to go for, I'm all for it.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I know it's been brought up already but for the posters bemoaning signing a 29 year old striker - see RVP.

If Kane is available for a reasonable price it's an absolute no brainer. You can take a punt on Osimhen for £100m+ and see if that works out longer term, but as decent as he is that's no sure thing. Wouldn't be surprised if he DOES turn out to be world-class for the next 5 or 6 years, equally wouldn't be surprised if he fell off and became Martial.

Kane is virtually guaranteed success - he is twice the player and has proven to be consistently to be a truly elite CF for 7, 8 years - not given glimpses of it for 1 or 2...

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Outside of Rooney when was the last time we had a great striker for more than 5 years ? RVN comes to mind but the likes of RVP, Yorke, Tevez and Berbatov were all 2-3 years so I don’t get this fascination with us buying a striker to last a decade.

Personally I’d be happy with either Kane or Osimhen as they’re probably the two best strikers available this summer and both offer different qualities. Whichever ETH goes for I trust him but anyone who believes signing a younger striker means we’d get longer out of them than Kane is deluded, as soon as Real come calling they’d be off.
Agreed. It’s such a rare thing that it shouldn’t be considered a driving factor in who we pursue. By all means go for someone who is theoretically entering a peak like an Osimhen but to completely ignore someone like Kane due to resale value or not guaranteeing 5+ years of service is ridiculous given our lack of PL success recently.

My view is we want the best players for the next season who will get the best out of our current squad. If they can offer something over a more sustained period that’s also great but I look at the type of forward Kane is and what Rashford is becoming and for me that seems a brilliant mix. Kane also holds the ball up superbly from long balls forward so it means if we keep De Gea we have an outlet that can do something with it.

I feel like Kane gets the best out of Rashford and that both Kane and Osimhen equally offer something for Antony and Bruno to work with. Ultimately I think Kane is less of a risk as he’s played with Rashford, Shaw etc before knows the PL well and will be highly motivated to beat the all time scorer record, win his first title and cement himself as a PL all time great.
Does player want to stay in one club for decade nowadays? Same for Coach too it may be wise for a new challenge every 3 - 4 years to get himself motivated.
Agreed. Of course some players do and you hope that will be the case for the best players but the reality is you should be planning successors from positions of strength rather than planning to win through perceived potential future performance solely.

croadyman

Agreed. It’s such a rare thing that it shouldn’t be considered a driving factor in who we pursue. By all means go for someone who is theoretically entering a peak like an Osimhen but to completely ignore someone like Kane due to resale value or not guaranteeing 5+ years of service is ridiculous given our lack of PL success recently.

My view is we want the best players for the next season who will get the best out of our current squad. If they can offer something over a more sustained period that’s also great but I look at the type of forward Kane is and what Rashford is becoming and for me that seems a brilliant mix. Kane also holds the ball up superbly from long balls forward so it means if we keep De Gea we have an outlet that can do something with it.

I feel like Kane gets the best out of Rashford and that both Kane and Osimhen equally offer something for Antony and Bruno to work with. Ultimately I think Kane is less of a risk as he’s played with Rashford, Shaw etc before knows the PL well and will be highly motivated to beat the all time scorer record, win his first title and cement himself as a PL all time great.

Agreed. Of course some players do and you hope that will be the case for the best players but the reality is you should be planning successors from positions of strength rather than planning to win through perceived potential future performance solely.
Yeah I an definitely now firmly in that camp of making the most of Casa,Rapha,Bruno and Eriksen. Whether we are able to persuade Levy to sell is gonna be the biggest obstacle.

Lecland07

Quite obviously more than 2 or more than Kane is Osimhen who even if they left in 5 years they could be sold and money reinvested in another top striker.
Only if he turns out to be good. This is never mentioned with resale value.

If he is average or worse, we will have great difficulty with selling him because he will be on massive wages. The likelihood is that his contract will need to be run down in that situation and he leaves for a very small fee, or even free.

Even if he turns out to be good, though, the chances of him leaving for free would be quite high, anyway. We would likely demand a massive fee for him (considering we would be paying, probably, over £150m for him), which no club will want to pay. Osimhen would need to run down his contract to leave, so the return will be quite small for the player, or could even be nothing.

This is why I think resale value isn't a great argument for signing one player over another.

Siorac

If he is average or worse, we will have great difficulty with selling him because he will be on massive wages. The likelihood is that his contract will need to be run down in that situation and he leaves for a very small fee, or even free.

Even if he turns out to be good, though, the chances of him leaving for free would be quite high, anyway. We would likely demand a massive fee for him (considering we would be paying, probably, over £150m for him), which no club will want to pay. Osimhen would need to run down his contract to leave, so the return will be quite small for the player, or could even be nothing.

This is why I think resale value isn't a great argument for signing one player over another.
We managed to sell Lukaku and Di Maria for pretty good fees. We lost money, sure, but not too much.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Even if he turns out to be good, though, the chances of him leaving for free would be quite high, anyway.
Quite obviously we’re talking about someone who is good otherwise why would you keep them at all. Anyway, as to your point about leaving for free, history of transfers especially of top strikers tells us the chances are not ‘quite high’ as you put it. Mostly though its down to how well the club manages its squad and its evolution

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Quite obviously we’re talking about someone who is good otherwise why would you keep them at all. Anyway, as to your point about leaving for free, history of transfers especially of top strikers tells us the chances are not ‘quite high’ as you put it. Mostly though its down to how well the club manages its squad and its evolution
Surely you manage it by creating the strongest squad platform possible and then allowing talent to integrate into it.

Casemiro and Eriksen were older but talented and instantly and without question improve our first XI. Kane would also do that with little to no issue in adjusting to the demands.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He is perfect for what we want. World class, another leader and premier league proven. ETH will love him. Guys a work horse with an exceptional attitude also. You’re getting a player who will command the respect of the youngsters around him. I feel he’ll be a RVP type signing for us. He is also desperate to become Pl top scorer and to win trophies.
A what?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know it's been brought up already but for the posters bemoaning signing a 29 year old striker - see RVP.

If Kane is available for a reasonable price it's an absolute no brainer. You can take a punt on Osimhen for £100m+ and see if that works out longer term, but as decent as he is that's no sure thing. Wouldn't be surprised if he DOES turn out to be world-class for the next 5 or 6 years, equally wouldn't be surprised if he fell off and became Martial.

Kane is virtually guaranteed success - he is twice the player and has proven to be consistently to be a truly elite CF for 7, 8 years - not given glimpses of it for 1 or 2...
RVP had 1 superb season, 1 decent season then was done. So I see what you're trying to do but it's pretty damn short term.
And RVP came in when a striker could be the difference to win the league. We'll need more than Kane.

Abraxas

RVP had 1 superb season, 1 decent season then was done. So I see what you're trying to do but it's pretty damn short term.
And RVP came in when a striker could be the difference to win the league. We'll need more than Kane.
Yes, I would find any idea that Kane has us competing for a title by himself a little presumptuous if it is the case that some fans believe that. Striker is not the only weakness we have, we are probably not stronger than some of the better Spurs teams Kane played in under Poch. It's the most glaring and probably the one that will have the single biggest impact, but I'm not altogether convinced our play throughout the team is strong enough. I think a few areas need addressing to bridge that gap so the economics and longer term view might be important.

I also find the whole concept of "using Casemiro, Varane etc" while we have them a very strange justification. As if Man United doesn't always have some high profile, top footballers. They're just another couple in a long line of top players we've had, I don't think it means we have to promote short term thinking. It's not a case of rushing to utilise Varane and Casemiro for a couple years, it's a case of building a winning football team, for now and for the future, the manager has to have a view on both things at this club. I do believe we have a manager that cares about both, he has signed a mix of youth, middle aged and experienced so I absolutely do think Kane's longevity is something that will enter his calculations.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Even if Osimhen flopped here, Serie A sides (at least) would almost certainly be willing to pay substantial money for him. Because he would be a still-young striker who has already proven he can rip up their league. The fact that he flopped in England wouldn't change that, to them he would still be an enormously valuable player.

Wing Attack Plan R

I know it's been brought up already but for the posters bemoaning signing a 29 year old striker [1] - see RVP.

If Kane is available for a reasonable price [2] it's an absolute no brainer. You can take a punt on Osimhen for £100m+ and see if that works out longer term, but as decent as he is that's no sure thing. Wouldn't be surprised if he DOES turn out to be world-class for the next 5 or 6 years, equally wouldn't be surprised if he fell off and became Martial.

Kane is virtually guaranteed success [3] - he is twice the player and has proven to be consistently to be a truly elite CF for 7, 8 years - not given glimpses of it for 1 or 2...
1. I may be alone here, but I don't think Kane is even half the player Van Persie was. That said, Kane is one of the top 10 players in the world in his position. The problem is he's 30 in July, so he'd be 30 before we got him, and as with RvP he's only got 2-3 years left before age catches up with him. Is Kane enough if we added him to the current squad to win titles? I think we would have been close this season, but next season's Kane, who knows.
2. He won't be. The fee will be outrageous.
3. He's won nothing. We would be expecting him to adapt his game to EtH's master plan, and him to add goals to what we're already getting, not just shift the goals scored into his column away from others (as happened with Ronaldo). He's got 18 goals scored in the league from open play, which is 1 more than Toney. Toney would cost half of what Kane would, and he's just turned 27 (so another 5 years before the transmission falls out). I am not suggesting we buy Toney, just comparison.

I think we could have used Kane 2 years ago. For the money Levy will still want for him, with only 1 year left on his contract, will be ludicrous. IF we sign Kane, when he leaves us he's straight to the glue factory, no sell-on value. If we sign someone like Osimhen, after 3 or 4 years, we can still sell him and recoup. Granted, if the Qatari people buy us, money is not much of an issue. However, if we are still able to only spend about £150 million in the summer (plus sales, potentially), we'd be spending half our budget, and that would "solve" our CF hole problem for 2 years, 3 tops. I don't see Kane having the superannuated career like Benzema. Maybe EtH has a bunch of hidden gems waiting in the wings, I for one was not aware of Martinez's brilliance before we bought him, and maybe we can get another 2 or 3 players for £100 million total. I'd rather buy Osimhen, solve the CF problem for the next 5-7 years, and look to strengthen elsewhere with whatever is left over.

Now if Kane decides to run down his contract and he's a free agent at the end of the 2024 season, pick him up.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Even if Osimhen flopped here, Serie A sides (at least) would almost certainly be willing to pay substantial money for him. Because he would be a still-young striker who has already proven he can rip up their league. The fact that he flopped in England wouldn't change that, to them he would still be an enormously valuable player.
No club in serie A has money, and they will have no problem loan the player from you and you will still need to pay half of the salary.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No club in serie A has money, and they will have no problem loan the player from you and you will still need to pay half of the salary.
Helpfully in this scenario someone would have handed Napoli an absolutely massive sum of money for one of their players just a season or two before. I'd be surprised if they weren't happy to spend a portion of that on someone who is now an icon at the club having fired them to their first title in 30 years. Particularly as they (officially anyway) spent €75m on him before.

And beyond that there are other teams and other leagues who won't have forgotten how good Osimhen is just because it didn't work out for him at one club. Just as people were willing to pay £58m/€80m for the likes of Morata and Lukaku respectively when they ultimately didn't work out top PL clubs following big money moves.

croadyman

1. I may be alone here, but I don't think Kane is even half the player Van Persie was. That said, Kane is one of the top 10 players in the world in his position. The problem is he's 30 in July, so he'd be 30 before we got him, and as with RvP he's only got 2-3 years left before age catches up with him. Is Kane enough if we added him to the current squad to win titles? I think we would have been close this season, but next season's Kane, who knows.
2. He won't be. The fee will be outrageous.
3. He's won nothing. We would be expecting him to adapt his game to EtH's master plan, and him to add goals to what we're already getting, not just shift the goals scored into his column away from others (as happened with Ronaldo). He's got 18 goals scored in the league from open play, which is 1 more than Toney. Toney would cost half of what Kane would, and he's just turned 27 (so another 5 years before the transmission falls out). I am not suggesting we buy Toney, just comparison.

I think we could have used Kane 2 years ago. For the money Levy will still want for him, with only 1 year left on his contract, will be ludicrous. IF we sign Kane, when he leaves us he's straight to the glue factory, no sell-on value. If we sign someone like Osimhen, after 3 or 4 years, we can still sell him and recoup. Granted, if the Qatari people buy us, money is not much of an issue. However, if we are still able to only spend about £150 million in the summer (plus sales, potentially), we'd be spending half our budget, and that would "solve" our CF hole problem for 2 years, 3 tops. I don't see Kane having the superannuated career like Benzema. Maybe EtH has a bunch of hidden gems waiting in the wings, I for one was not aware of Martinez's brilliance before we bought him, and maybe we can get another 2 or 3 players for £100 million total. I'd rather buy Osimhen, solve the CF problem for the next 5-7 years, and look to strengthen elsewhere with whatever is left over.

Now if Kane decides to run down his contract and he's a free agent at the end of the 2024 season, pick him up.
Yeah there is no doubt getting Qatari ownership doesn't restrict things so much for him,still unsure who is Erik's top striker target out of Kane/Osimhen. Can't help thinking it could well hinge on if you know who comes back.

SAFMUTD

Thing is 100M is a lot or not depending on how much playing time Kane has left. He's not a striker that depends on speed or anything, I can see him clearly playing until 34-35. He's the closest to Benzema there is. But he can also be like Van Persie who declined big time in just a couple of years.

So it's a gamble, personally I would pay that much at this point since we're not the finished product and we have many key players in their final years. Meaning Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen will need replacing soon. So we shouldn't be spending a lot on "old" players. We should be signing players in their mid 20s at most.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Do you think any Bundesliga team would pay substantial money for Sancho?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
When we now, due to his hold up play, are drooling over the thought of Martial starting a match for us, can you imagine what it would be like if we bought Kane? Even better hold up play in addition to world class goal scoring, leadership and actually playing every game. Priceless. Don’t tell Levy.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
And beyond that there are other teams and other leagues who won't have forgotten how good Osimhen is just because it didn't work out for him at one club. Just as people were willing to pay £58m/€80m for the likes of Morata and Lukaku respectively when they ultimately didn't work out top PL clubs following big money moves.
Morata being a bust is just a myth… he is a sublime football player, even if admittedly never a 1st violin for a top club, while Lukaku is just an entitled twat and a flat track bully at best.

EDIT: is Osimhen more of a Lukaku or a Morata in your opinion? Here lies the business/risk for PL big clubs with him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The more I watch him the more convinced I am that he isn’t the one for us. He is actually a large part of why Spurs struggle in attack for me. They are so one-paced, and with Kane at centre forward, there are just too many passes in too many scenarios that they cannot play. Some will say it is based on the quality of the other players around him, but I see these passes every game and they can’t be made.

Watching us today, as soon as Rashford went off, there were again passes where we had to turn back and look for a square ball instead. The speed in which we attacked in the first half could not have been achieved with Weghorst upfront, and I also think it would be difficult with Kane. Due to him having a number of qualities aside from mobility, he will pick up goals here for sure. But he will impact the speed in which we can attack. I don’t even think we necessarily need a rapid striker. But certainly one with more mobility than Kane.

Abraxas

The more I watch him the more convinced I am that he isn’t the one for us. He is actually a large part of why Spurs struggle in attack for me. They are so one-paced, and with Kane at centre forward, there are just too many passes in too many scenarios that they cannot play. Some will say it is based on the quality of the other players around him, but I see these passes every game and they can’t be made.

Watching us today, as soon as Rashford went off, there were again passes where we had to turn back and look for a square ball instead. The speed in which we attacked in the first half could not have been achieved with Weghorst upfront, and I also think it would be difficult with Kane. Due to him having a number of qualities aside from mobility, he will pick up goals here for sure. But he will impact the speed in which we can attack. I don’t even think we necessarily need a rapid striker. But certainly one with more mobility than Kane.
I can't shake the same feeling if I'm honest. I've got these visions of him scoring 30 goals a season but us being a shite watch for huge swathes of the season and ultimately winning feck all. I do think he comes with some pretty severe limitations in terms of his energy and running power. There's always the retort of "yeah but he scores and creates goals" or "he's one of the best strikers in Europe" and ultimately there isn't much you can say against it :lol:

Mike Smalling

I would be happy for him to stay at Spurs to go for that all-time top scorer spot, while winning absolutely nothing.

Hulme91

30 Premier League goals in coming and we've still got a band of merry posters insisting they don't want any of that. :lol:

BarcaSpurs

Simultaneously criticised for not being a 'winner' then gets abuse for buying a bit of time at the end of a match to secure a massive 3 points where he scored the winner.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Simultaneously criticised for not being a 'winner' then gets abuse for buying a bit of time at the end of a match to secure a massive 3 points where he scored the winner.
Think it was more he was trying to get another player sent off....until he worked out it was Porro who'd connected with his calf/ankle.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is actually a large part of why Spurs struggle in attack for me
Spurs are third highest scorers in the league, with pretty average all around team and pretty defensive set up. They would score probably 10-15 goals less with some average striker instead of Kane. They have conceeded awful lot of goals for a top4 side, only 6 teams in the league have conceeded more, which seems to be their biggest problem.

It's actually ridiculous to blame Kane for their attacking form, they wouldn't be able to bring the ball out or control it in the attacking third if it wasn't for Kane. On top of that he is ridiculously good goalscorer.

Jaae

Not ITK
30 Premier League goals in coming and we've still got a band of merry posters insisting they don't want any of that. :lol:
Because he isn’t 100% fair, unlike van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo and Rooney who were of course pillars of sporting honesty.

Remember the geese

I watched the end minutes and chuckled when he went down thinking a Brighton player had trod on his calf, it was actually Porro so he was told and got up quickly. :lol:
He knows every little trick in the book. Always looking to buy fouls, staying down to waste time, feigning contact etc.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs are third highest scorers in the league, with pretty average all around team and pretty defensive set up. They would score probably 10-15 goals less with some average striker instead of Kane. They have conceeded awful lot of goals for a top4 side, only 6 teams in the league have conceeded more, which seems to be their biggest problem.

It's actually ridiculous to blame Kane for their attacking form, they wouldn't be able to bring the ball out or control it in the attacking third if it wasn't for Kane. On top of that he is ridiculously good goalscorer.
Son declining aswell and Richarlison with 0 goals so they need Kane more than ever.

However I do wonder what the long term plan is if they just decide to keep him for one more year.

Not like they're suddenly going to challenge for the title so they'll still be floating around 4th-7th with Son in his 30s and others still on the fringes.

Kane out on a free in summer 2024 and you effectively have to buy two top class forwards on a smaller budget than if you sell him for 70m + this summer.

Idxomer

He is a cheat but he would be brilliant at United, let's be serious here.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He knows every little trick in the book. Always looking to buy fouls, staying down to waste time, feigning contact etc.
I am pretty sure his name were Enrico Cane or Enrique Perro, he would be considered like Benzema.

ti vu

Disagree. You use Weghorst, someone may struggle to at bottom half PL team, as an example is misleading. Kane is no slower than someone like Sabitzer. Kane can always drop deep to support our other forward like in Bruno, last two game Sabitzer role. While Weghorst has no business in he no 10 role.

At Tottenham Son Kulushevski are the main running in behind players for Tottenham. They're no different to how Rashford and Antony got all those long diagonal balls vs Everton, while Sancho was the type to come deeper to play with the midfielder type. The main issue with Tottenham is because Conte and now his former staffs sticks with back 5, they lack number in midfield. All 3 attackers are burdened more with compact midfield 2 when out of possession because the wingbacks are to take care of the wide areas, so it's more difficult to have Son, and Kulushevski to push forward quickly immediately after regaining possession. Previously Son had more freedom under Mourinho similar to Rashford not helping our leftback in defensive phase.

I believe you're also confused between pacy forward and mobile players. Kane is not pacy enough to solely focus in playing on shoulder if having half the pitch for a footrace, but he has smart movement that he can leave defenders for dead closer to opposition goal. And he's mobile in that he move around diffrent part of the pitch in different phase of play doing different duties. Immobile, static forward is more about someone like Lukaku who despite having pace, and often play on shoulder with opposition defenders, but having to rely on service to get into game.

Roboc7

Still don’t see Spurs selling him to us unless we paid over 100m. Think they’ll give him to option of going abroad or staying.

Wouldn’t be worst gamble by Levy, sure Kane wants to break the scoring record and we can’t afford to wait a year for him. Could easily see him signing new contract at Spurs once summer window shuts.

FattyFooty

Kane has been good for so long.

I really think he eould be a typical SAF signing..