Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I dont think levy will sell. Spurs are average enough as they are (even though they are 5th in the league), imagine a spurs without kane's 25 goals a season? They'll be nowhere.

Kane would have to put in an official transfer request (which players hate doing as it for forefits all sorts of money owed to them). Then his agents would have to really spin the PR story about levy being ungrateful to kane / kane wants to move on to win trophies etc etc.

Its a tough extraction. For levy selling abroad would be an easier sell to the fans. Bayern / Madrid etc. Would kane go abroad though?

Personally, i see a 30 yr old kane, the same way as a 30 yr old benzema or 30 yr old leodowski. Basically id take any of them. Proven world class strikers.
Even this notion of selling abroad isn't feasible. You're immediately talking about less money unless PSG involve themselves (Bayern aren't breaking their business model), which doesn't benefit Spurs in the slightest, as, like you've said, leaves them with a massive void in an already terrible team - the money they'd get from Bayern would not offset the loss of Kane. It wouldn't even cover 1:1 for his replacement, who will not put up his numbers at that club.

Selling abroad - sans stupid oil/state money - is a net loss for them.

I love Kane, but the age profile of our best/most important players isn’t ideal (Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno) apart from a couple.

We need to start investing in, younger, proven talent otherwise this squad will die together with Kane at the helm, like you’re seeing with Liverpool this season.

romufc

Bizarre take this. He's showed up for Spurs consistently - scoring and creating goals, whether they're playing well or not. Without him they'd have been mid-table for most of the time he's been there.

He's the best striker potentially available this summer. He's one of the best in the world. Absolute no-brainer if he's available.
Not really Bizzare if you think about it. If you actually look at the way Ten Hag wants to play, Kane is not a perfect fit.

Pressing off the ball - Kane does not offer
Pace - No
Winning Mentality - No
Leadership - No
Aggression - No.

These are all the characteristics we have seen in Ten Hag's signings and play. What Kane brings is goals, assists, I agree that Ronaldo brought goals and didnt work for Ten Hag because he couldn't do the off the ball work.

Kane in his career has never shown to be the man for a big big occasion, yes he has done it in derbies but when its a trophy, he has always gone misssing.

Big games Kane gone missing in
CL Final
Title run in
Euros final
WC Semi final
WC Quarter final
League cup final

cyberman

I love Kane, but the age profile of our best/most important players isn’t ideal (Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno) apart from a couple.

We need to start investing in, younger, proven talent otherwise this squad will die together with Kane at the helm, like you’re seeing with Liverpool this season.
Na, we can invest in an experienced striker because the age profile of our attack is so young.
Even Bruno is 28 or something.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

Not really Bizzare if you think about it. If you actually look at the way Ten Hag wants to play, Kane is not a perfect fit.

Pace - No
Winning Mentality - No
Leadership - No
Aggression - No.

These are all the characteristics we have seen in Ten Hag's signings and play. What Kane brings is goals, assists, I agree that Ronaldo brought goals and didnt work for Ten Hag because he couldn't do the off the ball work.

Kane in his career has never shown to be the man for a big big occasion, yes he has done it in derbies but when its a trophy, he has always gone misssing.

CL Final
Title run in
Euros final
WC Semi final
WC Quarter final
League cup final
So everytime he’s lost he’s gone missing?

Interesting.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He's a great player and may well end up scoring many goals and getting a trophy here.

But as amazing as Van Persie was it was a very short sighted signing to get Fergie one last title.

RVP ended up injured and slow. He would get fit in time for a Netherlands tournament and then show up unfit for us.

I think a 25 year old physical beast type of striker is what we need. Who? I don't really know. The obvious options will break the bank.

Huge, huge decision coming up.
Kane and RVP's injury records are like night and day. The majority of RVP's seasons were disrupted by injury throughout his career. But you're right, we wouldn't be buying Kane at the peak of his powers.

Doracle

So everytime he’s lost he’s gone missing?

Interesting.
You can tell the poster has some bizarre agenda when he lists “title run in”. Kane scored 9 goals in 8 games up to and including Spurs draw with Chelsea that ended their title push in 15/16. I wish we had bottlers like that playing for us!

Mainoldo

Everytime there is a big game..

I give you an example of a player not going missing even if they lost.

Mbappe WC final 2022.
I totally get what he means. It just means F all. He plays for Spurs and England.

It’s the equivalent of playing for Roma and the Netherlands over the last 10 years and been called a bottler.

Context is key. Gabriel Batistuta never gets called a bottler but it seems like if we brought him instead of Roma back in 2000 whenever it was, he would be considered a bottler too.

It’s just all silly to make a point that you don’t want him. No one actually believes that they are saying.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

You can tell the poster has some bizarre agenda when he lists “title run in”. Kane scored 9 goals in 8 games up to and including Spurs draw with Chelsea that ended their title push in 15/16. I wish we had bottlers like that playing for us!
They just don’t like him. I’d rather they’d just say that.

romufc

I totally get what he means. It just means F all. He plays for Spurs and England.

It’s the equivalent of playing for Roma and the Netherlands over the last 10 years and been called a bottler.

Context is key. Gabriel Batistuta never gets called a bottler but it seem like if we brought him instead of Roma he would be considered a bottler too.

It’s just all silly to make a point that you don’t want him. No one actually believes that they are saying.
Actually, its not a point that I do not want him. There are different things for me.

The things I have listed are question marks over Kane, like you said, Spurs so he can still prove me wrong moving to a bigger club.

Now, spending 80-100m on a 30 year old with those flaws is the Issue for me, it makes sense if we are ready to go win the league next year but we may not be.

So when in 2/3 years time we want to challenge consistently, we will have to go again to look for an elite striker.

My preference would be to go get a very good striker who can be elite in years to come.

I get you talking about Roma, but they won something last year, so your point on that is invalid.

scottser

Actually, its not a point that I do not want him. There are different things for me.

The things I have listed are question marks over Kane, like you said, Spurs so he can still prove me wrong moving to a bigger club.

Now, spending 80-100m on a 30 year old with those flaws is the Issue for me, it makes sense if we are ready to go win the league next year but we may not be.

So when in 2/3 years time we want to challenge consistently, we will have to go again to look for an elite striker.

My preference would be to go get a very good striker who can be elite in years to come.

I get you talking about Roma, but they won something last year, so your point on that is invalid.
the main issue in this whole conundrum is the price, imo. at 60m he's a sensible addition to the squad, and he will definitely score the goals we badly need. the sums being bandied around like 100m are a nonsense though, and for that sort of wad you'd be looking at a striker who, as you point out, should be young enough to be hitting his elite years now.

Mainoldo

I understand but make me understand why I never see an issue with these points.

For instance how are we ever going to challenge if we don’t get world class players who can raise the level of our first team?Harry Kane is ready to go in a key position that needs immediate attention. We lack goals and signing a younger striker in hope that they can provide that straight away is a bigger risk.

What we are saying instead is we are willing to get a younger striker who we can work with in a hope that in 2 years time he’s the best in the league. Within that time anything can happen.

Areas of the team that are important can always change within 12 months. Areas that are fine now become problems next season and we can’t afford for a new striker to be a flop to add to a growing list.

That makes no sense to me. Just get the best guy available and continue to fix the other areas. The aim should be a title charge next season regardless if all of our issues are completely fixed or not.

Yeah Roma was just a near enough example of a team just below elite level in their national league.

romufc

I understand but make me understand why I never see an issue with these points.

For instance how are we ever going to challenge if we don’t get world class players who can raise the level of our first team?Harry Kane is ready to go in a key position that needs immediate attention. We lack goals and signing a younger striker in hope that they can provide that straight away is a bigger risk.

What we are saying instead is we are willing to get a younger striker who we can work with in a hope that in 2 years time he’s the best in the league. Within that time anything can happen.

Areas of the team that are important can always change within 12 months. Areas that are fine now become problems next season and we can’t afford for a new striker to be a flop to add to a growing list.

That makes no sense to me. Just get the best guy available and continue to fix the other areas. The aim should be a title charge next season regardless if all of our issues are completely fixed or not.

Yeah Roma was just a near enough example of a team just below elite level in their national league.
Price. 100m for a 30 year old is not a bargain. That is alot of money.

I get the point that Kane is a terrific striker and will get us goals, but if we are to spend 100m, he needs to fit the managers system off the ball too, most of them signed do.

I would take Kane any day of the week if he was 60m as we also have other areas in the squad we need to improve on. We need probably 2 CM's, CB, GK and maybe a RB.

I am not 100% against the signing of Kane, I am cautious about it for the figures mentioned.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The price is less of an issue than the profile. This position is our main priority this summer so within reason you spend what's needed to get the best option.

If what we want is high quality, experienced, dependable goalscorer who is excellent when dropping into midfield (and we're not overly concerned about pace or pressing ability) then we'd be justified in paying quite a lot for Kane as he would at that point be a very sure bet to fix an obvious problem position in our team.

But if we want a striker who also provides pace, mobility and pressing along with goals (and we don't place much value on how good they are when dropping deep) then it shouldn't matter if Kane is available for relatively cheap. If he doesn't fit he doesn't fit and it would be a false economy to pick him over a better fit just because he's on sale (so to speak). Because whatever we'd spend the money saved on is less of a priority than getting this buy right.

romufc

the main issue in this whole conundrum is the price, imo. at 60m he's a sensible addition to the squad, and he will definitely score the goals we badly need. the sums being bandied around like 100m are a nonsense though, and for that sort of wad you'd be looking at a striker who, as you point out, should be young enough to be hitting his elite years now.
Exactly, at 60m, Kane would be a brilliant signing for us. The figures of 100m, plus the salaries he will demand as England captain will be enormous.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Kane for 60-70 million is fine.

Anything over 80 million is too much considering his age.

So it really depends if Spurs really want 100 mil for a 30 year old on last year contract because no one is going to be interested in him for that much anyway so he might as well sign a new contract with them.

MegadrivePerson

So it really depends if Spurs really want 100 mil for a 30 year old on last year contract because no one is going to be interested in him for that much anyway so he might as well sign a new contract with them.
Why on earth would he sign a new contract with them???

He finally actually has some leverage.

All he needs to do is say to Levy, you either sell me to United now or ill join them for free next summer.

If we wait until the end of the transfer window he could drop down to around £50 million.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just saying.. a lot can change in 7 or 8 years since then

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why on earth would he sign a new contract with them???

He finally actually has some leverage.

All he needs to do is say to Levy, you either sell me to United now or ill join them for free next summer.

If we wait until the end of the transfer window he could drop down to around £50 million.
At which point Levy says "United clearly aren't going to wait until next summer to buy a striker. And if they wait until the end of the transfer window their alternative targets will be snapped up by teams like Chelsea, Bayern, Real and PSG. So we'll see what they're desparate enough to pay at that point."

MegadrivePerson

Pace - No
Winning Mentality - No
Leadership - No
Aggression - No.

CL Final
Title run in
Euros final
WC Semi final
WC Quarter final
League cup final
What a bizarre flawed argument this is!

Would you take Kai Havertz over Kane because Havertz scored the winner in a Champions league final so he can't possibly be a bottler!

cpresc

I often wonder why people obsess over the price we pay... I understand that it can affect our transfer window budget but right now we have no idea what the budget will be or even who the owners will be.

End of the day, do you want to watch Utd next season with Kane upfront or not? I can't imagine sitting there thinking "Harry's doing great but damn we paid £20m too much for him so I'm not enjoying this link up play"

MegadrivePerson

Do you want us to sign Kai Havertz then?
No because rather than cherry picking a small sample of games I judge players over the whole of their career.

Kane has scored in plenty of big games against City, Liverpool and in the Champions League. He scored in the World cup quarter final and the Euro's semi final too but you conveniently forgot to mention these.

You mention him not scoring in the 2019 Champions League final but he clearly wasn't fit in that game.

Reyoji-Utd

We should sign the player that fit the profile of what ETH WANT.

If he wants the best, reliable scorers, link-up play, then Kane is the best now. If dont care much about link up but wants the press, round the box type poarcher then Oshimen is the best. The rest are not sure thing or too young to be rely on. WIith the age thing, if we want to buid for the future then we shouldnt buy Case, Eriksen at all. They all in their 30s with Bruno, Varane...at their late 20s. We go for young striker and wait for 2/3 years for them to be what we expect then 2/3 years later we will have to buy new players to replace them and the cycle continue with the squad building. Moreover, you think EtH is here to wait for 5 years or more for us to TRY to START CHALLENGE for the EPL and CL?. He may not want to wait that long or we fans or club might start thinking about replacing him too.

romufc

No because rather than cherry picking a small sample of games I judge players over the whole of their career.

Kane has scored in plenty of big games against City, Liverpool and in the Champions League. He scored in the World cup quarter final and the Euro's semi final too but you conveniently forgot to mention these.

You mention him not scoring in the 2019 Champions League final but he clearly wasn't fit in that game.
Small sample? I have given 8 games that were of huge importance. Yes I know he is a very good goal scorer, I have not disputed that.

Paying 100m for a Striker who has not shown it in important moments at the age of 30 is not really ideal is it?

People talk about Spurs and England but there is a reason why WC players win trophies and score in big moments when it matters, because they are world class.

scottser

I often wonder why people obsess over the price we pay... I understand that it can affect our transfer window budget but right now we have no idea what the budget will be or even who the owners will be.

End of the day, do you want to watch Utd next season with Kane upfront or not? I can't imagine sitting there thinking "Harry's doing great but damn we paid £20m too much for him so I'm not enjoying this link up play"
We've got to be careful with the pennies because the squad is full of mediocre players earning elite wages on long contracts. Until we can bin off a half dozen passengers, we'll not be able to sign who we actually need to compete properly.

CM

Spurs deserve to lose Kane on a free at the end of his contract. Demanding over £100m for a 30 year old with a year left is insane.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

But then again the age profile of our attackers like Garnacho, Antony, and Sancho, Amad screams like we need very experienced attacker to balance them out.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I would take him for the right fee. Him being 30 is concerning, espacially if Levy values him at 100M.

Nevertheless, even if we end up with Kane, he can be guaranteed 20+ goals in the league, which is something that we need in our team.

So he can be good for the next 3-4 years, but if the fee is 100M and wages are 13/14 per year, the total package would be too high.

BigBebe

I share some of the concerns expressed by people in this thread but what tops it off for me is the absolute circus which would surround him if he were to come to manchester united. The English press are obsessed with him.

Not chosen as club captain? "Kane snubbed by United".
Left on the bench? "Kane regrets his move away from his childhood club" etc etc

I can't be bothered with any more circus-type players.

Son

I like Kane as a footballer but this move has major warning signs. In 3 years the guy will be almost mid 30’s. Exactly the kind of forward I want our club staying well clear of.

300k a week wages when he might be getting into the picking up small injuries part of his career. This seems very much like a match of convenience.

Maybe Oshimen said no thanks to us. Quite a possibility given the way our club is ran so we go with the older one yet again on astronomical wages. Which other top club would pay him those wages? Nobody

Kane if he really wanted to play for us should have come 2-3 years ago. Not now his value is dropping.

Last edited:

scottser

I share some of the concerns expressed by people in this thread but what tops it off for me is the absolute circus which would surround him if he were to come to manchester united. The English press are obsessed with him.

Not chosen as club captain? "Kane snubbed by United".
Left on the bench? "Kane regrets his move away from his childhood club" etc etc

I can't be bothered with any more circus-type players.
Erik manages that type of thing quite well, in fairness.

IRN-BRUno

I think he's by far the best option out there and should be the clear target. Can't afford to let it drag on all summer though, give it a few weeks once the window is open and if it's not agreed by then, move on.

Telsim

Spending what could be most of our budget on a 30-year-old player and adding another ultra-high wage doesn't exactly strike me as a wise move at this moment. But it wouldn't surprise me.

RedRover

See the bit in bold is the short term thinking I'm talking about.

We are not a team that is one piece away from winning big titles. We need players in five different positions. We'd put ourselves in a far better position for the future if we actually made sure we signed the right choices at GK, CB, CM and DM.

There's no rush to win the PL or CL next season, buying Kane only forces us to accelerate our timetable because of his shelf life.

We don't have to spend £100m on a forward this summer. We certainly do need a No.9 and if there's not a great option we can bide our time and the perfect option will come through soon enough. Football changes very quickly, this time last year no one know Enzo Fernandez and a year later he's the record buy in the league.

My point is we aren't a summer away from catching City so why rush the process to sign a striker on the decline. If we are to overpay it's better to do it for a player with high potential if he's the right player that fits our style. And if that player isn't available lets go all in and make major upgrades on the other positions we're in need of.
For me it's not about being in a rush to win anything (although with the investment in the side the club should be a lot closer next year). For me he's genuinely the best striker on the market.

30 is not over the hill, especially for a player not reliant on pace. You can't rely on any forward you sign staying here longer than a single contract anyway.

My issue is the bolded part. United have wasted hundreds of millions on "potential". Sancho cost a fortune and isn't good enough. Antony may be but the signs aren't great. Wan Bissaka isn't good enough. Martial isn't good enough. This mythical young striker who some fans want us to spend £100 plus million on could very well be another bust. How long do you go on speculating when you need quality?

On the other hand, Casemiro, with proven quality, has come into a key position and the difference is obvious.

Filling your team with older players isn't the smart thing to do for long term, but as when Fergie brought in RVP, sometimes that's what you need to do to win, instead of this ongoing cycle of taking expensive punts on young players who come to the PL and can't cut it.

Last edited:

RedRover

Pace - No
Winning Mentality - No
Leadership - No
Aggression - No.

CL Final
Title run in
Euros final
WC Semi final
WC Quarter final
League cup final
He's the best striker on the market, and a proven (and at some point) record PL goal scorer. He's miles better than what we have and will score, and create, goals. Any decent manager will get a tune out of him. It seems that ten Hag want's him - if the press are to be believed so unless you think the club would force a player on him, if United do make a move ten Hag himself evidently disagrees that he doesn't fit the system the manager wants to play.

He can arguably be criticised to some degree in finals, but he's dragged Spurs to half of those finals and to the CL numerous times. How many players could do that?

And people keep dodging the actual question - who is objectively the better option? Any player coming to the PL comes from an inferior league and presents a bigger risk than Kane who will, no doubt, score goals.