Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I’m genuinely amazed that Kane has taken this course of action in order to force through a move. A talismanic, youth product, club captain behaving in such a way is beyond the pale, really. I thought he was much better than that.

romufc

I’m genuinely amazed that Kane has taken this course of action in order to force through a move. A talismanic, youth product, club captain behaving in such a way is beyond the pale, really. I thought he was much better than that.
I think he has had a lot of time to reflect on this. He knows this is the time he has to move, he is at an age where he needs to win trophies or challenge for them, Spurs are not going to do that.

He has come from a summer with top class players around him, he wants that on a regular basis now.

He told the club months ago he wants to leave, there has been no indication from the club to entertain a bid or anything therefore; he has felt the need to do something drastic.

However; saying that, I do not feel sorry for him or have any sympathy, he signed a 6 year contract with no break clause. That is on him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Theres no way he would have done this if there was no club interested in him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The gap between that Utd team and Chelsea team wasn't that big for me. And we had Rooney, Ronaldo, Rio, Scholes etc and of course Fergie.

The gap between us and City is huge. Kane and Grealish don't make it smaller.

But it is what it is. The PL have welcomed in this foreign money. Now we have to deal with the consequences
Really?

I remember feeling a little bit helpless in front of that Chelsea side. I remember getting giddy at the tail end of 2005-06 and thinking we could do it, even with Giggs and O'Shea in midfield, only to get spanked 3-1 at Chelsea with Rooney breaking his foot. That first Mourinho team was pretty imperious. Them going 2-0 up was game over.

When we lost Ruud in the summer of 2006 and all the crap happened with Ronaldo and the wink, I was far from optimistic. Scholesy had been out for ages with his eye. I'd be lying if I said I knew his return would be so massive for the side. Plus we had replaced Roy Keane, who'd been everything for us, with this lad from Spurs called Carrick. Didn't know too much about him, to be honest, but again I would be lying if I said I thought Carrick was going to get us to Chelsea's level.

What a season 2006-07 was, eh?

I'm not sure, relatively speaking, that the gap between today's City and 2006's Chelsea is that different.

As for Kane I'm not sure Spurs will actually let him go, not if City refuse to meet his asking price. Like Dortmund with Sancho, financially, yes, they'd be better off selling with three years left on the deal but they'll still get good money with two years left. Kane's value won't start to really nosedive until next summer. If Levy forces Kane to stay one more season he still won't lose that much value. Its not like its £100m this year or a bag of crisps and a pack of cigarettes next summer.

Ultimately this will all come down to how badly City want Kane. Its pretty much exactly the same as us with Sancho. We could've got Sancho last summer but we decided the need wasn't so great that it'd be worth the extra £50m. So we waited a year and went back in at a price that was more to our liking. City can do the same. If they aren't willing to go to £120m this summer then they can go in for £80m next summer, when Kane has two years left on his deal, and get the player.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think he has had a lot of time to reflect on this. He knows this is the time he has to move, he is at an age where he needs to win trophies or challenge for them, Spurs are not going to do that.

He has come from a summer with top class players around him, he wants that on a regular basis now.

He told the club months ago he wants to leave, there has been no indication from the club to entertain a bid or anything therefore; he has felt the need to do something drastic.

However; saying that, I do not feel sorry for him or have any sympathy, he signed a 6 year contract with no break clause. That is on him.
You say that but there is almost certainly a side agreement allowing him to leave.

We just don't know exactly what was agreed.

No chance he goes on strike if he doesn't feel he's getting done over by Levy.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Can't have a break clause in England IIRC.

Think about it, what big name star in the prem, for any club has a break clause in their contract? Does Werner? Does Bruno? Does Rashford? Does Grealish? Does Son? Does De Bruyne?

No players have break clauses, I don't think they are even allowed by law. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the Prem doesn't allow it.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pretty much this. I'd love to know what's happening behind the scenes as he obviously feels very wronged by the club.

Simply has to be more to this.

romufc

Think about it, what big name star in the prem, for any club has a break clause in their contract? Does Werner? Does Bruno? Does Rashford? Does Grealish? Does Son? Does De Bruyne?

No players have break clauses, I don't think they are even allowed by law. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the Prem doesn't allow it.
Not many players do, but I am pretty certain Grealish had a £100m release clause which is why there was no negotiations.

I could be wrong but thats what majority of reports are saying.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

Didn't you sign Fellaini via a release clause?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Really?

I remember feeling a little bit helpless in front of that Chelsea side. I remember getting giddy at the tail end of 2005-06 and thinking we could do it, even with Giggs and O'Shea in midfield, only to get spanked 3-1 at Chelsea with Rooney breaking his foot. That first Mourinho team was pretty imperious. Them going 2-0 up was game over.

When we lost Ruud in the summer of 2006 and all the crap happened with Ronaldo and the wink, I was far from optimistic. Scholesy had been out for ages with his eye. I'd be lying if I said I knew his return would be so massive for the side. Plus we had replaced Roy Keane, who'd been everything for us, with this lad from Spurs called Carrick. Didn't know too much about him, to be honest, but again I would be lying if I said I thought Carrick was going to get us to Chelsea's level.

What a season 2006-07 was, eh?

I'm not sure, relatively speaking, that the gap between today's City and 2006's Chelsea is that different.

As for Kane I'm not sure Spurs will actually let him go, not if City refuse to meet his asking price. Like Dortmund with Sancho, financially, yes, they'd be better off selling with three years left on the deal but they'll still get good money with two years left. Kane's value won't start to really nosedive until next summer. If Levy forces Kane to stay one more season he still won't lose that much value. Its not like its £100m this year or a bag of crisps and a pack of cigarettes next summer.

Ultimately this will all come down to how badly City want Kane. Its pretty much exactly the same as us with Sancho. We could've got Sancho last summer but we decided the need wasn't so great that it'd be worth the extra £50m. So we waited a year and went back in at a price that was more to our liking. City can do the same. If they aren't willing to go to £120m this summer then they can go in for £80m next summer, when Kane has two years left on his deal, and get the player.
No because we had genuine world class players in the squad and two of the most exciting young players in world football led by the GOAT. Fans were just impatient in those 2 Chelsea title wins. Our team was building slowly.

This situation with City is different. I think even Fergie would be hard pressed to expect titles with Pep + UAE cash backing around. The goalposts have been moved and then some.

romufc

You say that but there is almost certainly a side agreement allowing him to leave.

We just don't know exactly what was agreed.

No chance he goes on strike if he doesn't feel he's getting done over by Levy.
We don't know the details of the agreement.

He may have had an agreement to allow him to leave this summer, we have seen Dortmund have these agreements with players. Last season they had it with Sancho where if the suitable bid arrives, he can leave. We didn't offer the amount they wanted.

Spurs have always said Kane will be allowed to leave for offers around £150m. If he really feels hard done by why is he not turning up then saying I will come training on the weekend?

He may think £100m is fair but Spurs feel it isn't which is why he is trying to force them to accept a lower fee.

romufc

Didn't you sign Fellaini via a release clause?
No... do not remind me of that...

That was one of Moyes and United classic.

He had a release clause of £15/20m if I recall but it expired 2 weeks before we signed him for £10m more

SAF is the GOAT

Whose his agent ? because Harry needs to replace him and tell him "no hard feelings mate".
The length of his contract that was signed is ridiculous and to rely on a "Gentlemen agreement" especially from Levy is crazy.

No because we had genuine world class players in the squad and two of the most exciting young players in world football led by the GOAT. Fans were just impatient in those 2 Chelsea title wins. Our team was building slowly.

This situation with City is different. I think even Fergie would be hard pressed to expect titles with Pep + UAE cash backing around. The goalposts have been moved and then some.
Going into 2006-07 I don't think we had that many world class players. We had the old stagers from the class of 92. But, as I said, Scholesy's eye had taken him out for a year or so and nobody knew how he'd come back. Rio, yes. Edwin, possibly. Rooney, yes. For the most part, going into 2006-07, I felt like we were replacing world class players e.g., Ruud and Keane with potential. The Champions League campaign of 2005-06 was an embarrassment. We didn't look anything like world class. For me, personally, even though he had a good World Cup there were big questions over whether Ronaldo was a 'show pony' or the real thing. Evra looked okay, Heinze at the time seemed a bit better. Vidic had recovered from a nightmare start but I'd be lying if I said I knew he was going to be as good as he turned out to be. Saha was a solid premier league goalscorer but I wasn't that sold on him as a replacement for Van Nistlerooy. That 2006-07 team had a lot of questions around it...

...but it also had Fergie.

No doubt about it Fergie would've won the title several times in the last eight seasons, even with City's money. In fact I reckon Fergie would've won the title last season. When we hit top of the league the team wet the bed. Losing to Sheffield United, drawing with Everton having taken the lead three times. Not sure Fergie would've let the mentality of the team go like that at crucial moments. With Sir Alex in the dugout there's no way the league would've become the procession it did for City. Certainly not after getting United to first place before the snow thaws.

But we're going into very different territory to Harry Kane.

My two pennies on him: 1) Not sure he goes this summer. 2) Even if he does go not sure it makes that much of a difference. Is Kane so much better than Aguero? Not in my opinion.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Going into 2006-07 I don't think we had that many world class players. We had the old stagers from the class of 92. But, as I said, Scholesy's eye had taken him out for a year or so and nobody knew how he'd come back. Rio, yes. Edwin, possibly. Rooney, yes. For the most part, going into 2006-07, I felt like we were replacing world class players e.g., Ruud and Keane with potential. The Champions League campaign of 2005-06 was an embarrassment. We didn't look anything like world class. For me, personally, even though he had a good World Cup there were big questions over whether Ronaldo was a 'show pony' or the real thing. Evra looked okay, Heinze at the time seemed a bit better. Vidic had recovered from a nightmare start but I'd be lying if I said I knew he was going to be as good as he turned out to be. Saha was a solid premier league goalscorer but I wasn't that sold on him as a replacement for Van Nistlerooy. That 2006-07 team had a lot of questions around it...

...but it also had Fergie.

No doubt about it Fergie would've won the title several times in the last eight seasons, even with City's money. In fact I reckon Fergie would've won the title last season. When we hit top of the league the team wet the bed. Losing to Sheffield United, drawing with Everton having taken the lead three times. Not sure Fergie would've let the mentality of the team go like that at crucial moments. With Sir Alex in the dugout there's no way the league would've become the procession it did for City. Certainly not after getting United to first place before the snow thaws.

But we're going into very different territory to Harry Kane.

My two pennies on him: 1) Not sure he goes this summer. 2) Even if he does go not sure it makes that much of a difference. Is Kane so much better than Aguero? Not in my opinion.
We had Edwin, Vidic, Rio, Nev, Evra, Carrick, Scholes, Rooney, Ronaldo, Saha etc. That team would have wiped the floor with the current one.

We had Edwin, Vidic, Rio, Nev, Evra, Carrick, Scholes, Rooney, Ronaldo, Saha etc. That team would have wiped the floor with the current one.
Edwin, good player. Vidic, nobody knew how good he was going to be. Nightmare debut. Played well after the Arsenal 2-0 win in 2005-06. Evra, nightmare debut. Very uncertain he'd be better than Heinze. Carrick, unknown going into 2006-07. Scholes, out for years with eye injury no telling how good he would be. Rooney, solid performer dragged us to second until his toe got busted. Ronaldo, hot and cold. Never knew what you were going to get from him before 2006-07. Saha, solid goalscorer but nobody would have put him up there next to a Ruud or an Henry either in 2006 or afterwards.

Going into 2006-07 there was no reason to believe that United were suddenly going to explode. Not in my eyes. We were coming off the season where Keano had been ejected from the club for telling some home truths about being spanked by Middlesbrough. We were coming off a period in the history of the club where we regularly made Gamst Pedersen and David Bentley look like late 90s Giggs and Beckham.

With the benefit of hindsight it all looks like it was coming together, cos we now know what happened afterwards. But in August 2006 nobody could be sure that even half the players you've listed would turn out to be world class. There was little to nothing to suggest it.

IMO the situation today isn't so different to the situation back then. Chelsea, like City today, had the proven team and were everyone's favourites to just keep dominating. Moreso after getting Ballack and Shevchenko. Sometimes football can surprise you. We're behind City but the gap isn't a crater. If it was Ole wouldn't keep beating Pep in head to heads.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Whose his agent ? because Harry needs to replace him and tell him "no hard feelings mate".
The length of his contract that was signed is ridiculous and to rely on a "Gentlemen agreement" especially from Levy is crazy.
That would make his Christmas dinners a bit awkward as it’s his brother and his dad who are managing all of his business.

SAF is the GOAT

That would make his Christmas dinners a bit awkward as it’s his brother and his dad who are managing all of his business.
ok and that's the cause of lack of experience that he needs in his professional life. No agent would ever recommend him to sign that contract

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
I do feel a slight sympathy for him, because he obviously doesn't want to end his career without major trophies. But at the same time, he really should have won something already with Tottenham and that's why both sides feel hard done by. It doesn't look good to release your prized talisman only to see him start winning elsewhere. He's had plenty of opportunities to win at Spurs. They had a title fight with Leicester, he went to the CL final, they went to the League cup final a few times, he even went to the EURO final with England this year. Somehow Kane always manages to come off second best when it comes to getting hands on the trophies.

I actually feel Pochettino didn't do enough for that team. They had a good squad. Certainly better than Leicester.

This looks similar to when Fabregas left Arsenal back in 2011. It kickstarted a wave of players giving up on Arsenal and wanting to leave - Song/RVP/Nasri/ Sagna etc. We never touched the CL QF ever again and we couldn't compete in the PL. And then eventually dropped out of the CL altogether. We went from regular CL QF's to not being in the CL at all within 5 years of that 2011/2012 squad leaving. The death spiral was quick.

The danger is Kane's departure triggering a similar wave of discontent & unrest and then an avalanche of departures. Levy has to play this carefully.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I do feel a slight sympathy for him, because he obviously doesn't want to end his career without major trophies. But at the same time, he really should have won something already with Tottenham and that's why both sides feel hard done by. It doesn't look good to release your prized talisman only to see him start winning elsewhere. He's had plenty of opportunities to win at Spurs. They had a title fight with Leicester, he went to the CL final, they went to the League cup final a few times, he even went to the EURO final with England this year. Somehow Kane always manages to come off second best when it comes to getting hands on the trophies.

I actually feel Pochettino didn't do enough for that team. They had a good squad. Certainly better than Leicester.

This looks similar to when Fabregas left Arsenal back in 2011. It kickstarted a wave of players giving up on Arsenal and wanting to leave - Song/RVP/Nasri/ Sagna etc. We never touched the CL QF ever again and we couldn't compete in the PL. And then eventually dropped out of the CL altogether. We went from regular CL QF's to not being in the CL at all within 5 years of that 2011/2012 squad leaving. The death spiral was quick.

The danger is Kane's departure triggering a similar wave of discontent & unrest and then an avalanche of departures. Levy has to play this carefully.
We would welcome an avalanche of departures tbf. Other than Son(who has just signed a new deal) and Hojbjerg I wouldn't lose much sleep at any of the others going, I still love Lloris but he'll be going next year anyway.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Forget about why he signed the contract. If he truly wants to leave then he or any player for that matter should man up and come out and say they want to leave.

Instead they don’t want to be the bad guy and worry about what the fans will think of them. If they can’t be outspoken then shut up, show up for training and play for the club that’s paying you.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Forget about why he signed the contract. If he truly wants to leave then he or any player for that matter should man up and come out and say they want to leave.

Instead they don’t want to be the bad guy and worry about what the fans will think of them. If they can’t be outspoken then shut up, show up for training and play for the club that’s paying you.
Hasn't he expressed interest in leaving to the club? I do agree he should show up for training and play until anything changes - badly if he's that arsed about leaving.

8thWonder

Why would he directly address the fans and the media, that would be mental.

I've seen the same argument for Pogba before. Absolutely no need to and it's not going to stop it being a circus, it's undoubtedly going to add petrol to the flame.

I'm pretty sure everyone who needs to know are in the loop, other than that, keep your head down and try not to burn to many bridges along the way.

romufc

He has actually been very clear he wants to leave even before the Euros.

Just because he isn't telling the media and fans he wants to leave, why would he do that?

He has 100% told his agent and the club he wants to leave, the club know this and is the reason he hasn't turned up.

I don't agree with him not turning up, but it is quite clear he has told the club he wants to leave.

Also, he doesn't need to talk to the manager, the decision to let him go is the club not the manager who is new.

redshaw

He seem to say he wanted to leave for 100 million in the Gary Neville chat interview on the golf course.

wise_old_man

If city are signing Grealish, they will most likely not go for Kane unless they can sell some assets. These assets won’t just go to any team city wishes hence they will most likely stay.

Next year we’ll have to fight city for Haaland if they win everything this season or go close to it. Haaland will consider them as good as us if not more. Those days are gone where players would blindly pick us. All the players that have gone to city so far don’t really care about their history. Trophies matter a lot.

We’d have to give a solid fight this season for Haaland to even think we’re a better fit.
If it comes down to a choice between us or City, City will win Haaland over surely. Haaland's father would surely convince him to join City to get his revenge over us for the Roy Keane incident.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
If it comes down to a choice between us or City, City will win Haaland over surely. Haaland's father would surely convince him to join City to get his revenge over us for the Roy Keane incident.
Ah yes, when Keane slept with Haalands wife. Hopefully he is Erlings real father.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Fair play, this is a real heel turn for Kane. I'm wondering how this will affect how he's perceived by people going forward. He's often heralded as a model professional and a "not that kind of guy" type. Be interesting to see how he's treated going forward by not only Spurs fans, but fans in general when they get back into the stadiums.