Harry Kane MBE | Performances

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
One the other hand he's a model professional and isn't going to embarrass any brand associations by getting into fights at a nightclub, or getting caught drink-driving. His current brand associations include Nike, Beats By Dre, Lucozade Sport and BT Sport.

Sports pro say he's the 20th most marketable person in sport globally. That's across all sports, not just football: http://www.sportspromedia.com/most-marketable/2017/harry-kane-2017
Possibly, but I don't see him appearing on TV adverts selling Boxer shorts anytime soon.

I can't emphasise enough how much I rate the kid so I'm not being mean. He's just a bit James Milner in terms of excitement. Think of Spurs players that are exciting and you'll name Alli, United Pogba, Liverpool Coutinho, City Aguero, Arsenal Sanchez etc etc. They all have that glamour, Kane doesn't have it. If he did he'd be up there when people mention world class strikers. At the minute people still say he has to prove himself. Like he hasn't already?

Frank Grimes

I'm 39, I remember clearly a lot of lads at school having Linekar on their shirts when breaktime hit, you'd be surprised how popular he was (Platt was another, still spoken about in hallowed terms to this day surprisingly) one went to Barca, the other to Parma? I think, somewhere in Italy when Italy was THE place to be. Then Gazza to Lazio. Huddle and Waddle were already the spice boys of their day, Johnny Barnes was a part time rapper. To compare Kane to anyone he'd be Bryan Robson. Great player, yet won't appear on the front cover of smash hits.

I'm not knocking the fella honestly, I just think he's being underestimated by a lot of football fans and the world of football itself cos he just doesn't have that tabloid factor. If he had the magnetism of Mario Ballotelli or Paulo Di Canio to name someone older (two far inferior players) he'd be getting much more publicity and kudos.
I'm 37 and my first pair of football boots were endorsed by Lineker with his signature, he was massive popular after Mexico 86.

Platt went to Bari after Italia 90.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Possibly, but I don't see him appearing on TV adverts selling Boxer shorts anytime soon.

I can't emphasise enough how much I rate the kid so I'm not being mean. He's just a bit James Milner in terms of excitement. Think of Spurs players that are exciting and you'll name Alli, United Pogba, Liverpool Coutinho, City Aguero, Arsenal Sanchez etc etc. They all have that glamour, Kane doesn't have it. If he did he'd be up there when people mention world class strikers. At the minute people still say he has to prove himself. Like he hasn't already?
I don't agree with that one bit. You seriously suggesting that because you think he doesn't have the x-factor is the reason he is still at Spurs?

Suarez had non of that either btw.

Frank Grimes

Always being a fan of Kane but questioned his ability to reach Shearer level in a discussion on this site a few months back. I am now revising that opinion, he is so clever at finding space and has an uncanny knack of finding the corner of the net.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I'm 37 and my first pair of football boots were endorsed by Lineker with his signature, he was massive popular after Mexico 86.

Platt went to Bari after Italia 90.
That's the one, Did he play for Parma ever or is that my brain going loopy?. Mexico 86 my boots would have been Puma King, Maradona version with the sky blue stripe along the top of the logo. Way too big for me but I pestered my dad for them for months, took me ages to work out how to get the studs off cos some eejit threw the box away with the spanner thingy still inside.

Frank Grimes

That's the one, Did he play for Parma ever or is that my brain going loopy?. Mexico 86 my boots would have been Puma King, Maradona version with the sky blue stripe along the top of the logo. Way too big for me but I pestered my dad for them for months, took me ages to work out how to get the studs off cos some eejit threw the box away with the spanner thingy still inside.
Never Parma. He played for Sampdoria and Juventus iirc.

Andy_Cole

I don't agree with that one bit. You seriously suggesting that because you think he doesn't have the x-factor is the reason he is still at Spurs?

Suarez, like Costa has that villain image. Which is their X factor. Kane is mr boring. Hullyback kind of has a point.

Summit

Suarez, like Costa has that villain image. Which is their X factor. Kane is mr boring. Hullyback kind of has a point.
There is no x-factor involved with a racist cannibal.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC

No but he was controversial, and could score sublime goals at the drop of a hat. Front page news material, if he wasn't scoring a worldie he was calling someone a spade or biting someone.

Kane just does his business, and goes home from what I see. No controversy, no page 3 girls, no grannies, no drinking sessions with Tom Cruise.

He's not gonna sell papers. That's my point and it doesn't detract from the fact he's a fantastic player. He's the Mark Selby of football, absolutely awesome and won the lot yet everyone follows Ronnie O Sullivan.

Andy_Cole

There is no x-factor involved with a racist cannibal.
What’s that saying? Any news is good news. Or something like that. Suarez makes the papers, front and back. Kane wouldn’t go near the front.

Edit: not saying it’s a bad thing mind! I’d love to have him at United for that reason (Kane not Suarez).

Summit

What’s that saying? Any news is good news. Or something like that. Suarez makes the papers, front and back. Kane wouldn’t go near the front.

Edit: not saying it’s a bad thing mind! I’d love to have him at United for that reason.
So let me get this right, you are basically saying that it is their antics, off the field and naughty antics on the field that get them their move to a big club? Scoring goals as a striker for fun now doesn't appeal to the best teams?

Summit

Kane just does his business, and goes home from what I see. No controversy, no page 3 girls, no grannies, no drinking sessions with Tom Cruise.
Perfect striker then isn't he? :lol: Exactly what a striker should do.

Summit

He's not gonna sell papers. That's my point and it doesn't detract from the fact he's a fantastic player. He's the Mark Selby of football, absolutely awesome and won the lot yet everyone follows Ronnie O Sullivan
Scholes was never in the papers either, granted he was already at a big club and loved playing for United, but do you think there would have been any short of takers should he made himself available?

Scottio

Supports
Arsenal
Just to add to the mix he doesn't just score goals. Look at the last England game. It was his run that created the space for Rashford to score the winner.

So he scores from both inside and outside the box with both feet and his head. He's a team player. He's got a great mentality for football especially and he seems to really enjoy it.

I'd have him in my team over possibly any other current regular centre forward aside from Ronaldo. Certainly wouldn't look out of place in a squad made up of the best players in the world.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Scholes was never in the papers either, granted he was already at a big club and loved playing for United, but do you think there would have been any short of takers should he made himself available?
I've already mentioned Scholes if you read back and how highly I rated him, yet he never gets mentioned when talking about the golden generation. We're agreeing to a point you're just missing what I'm trying to get across.

Skills

Snitch
I think I once said a team with him as their lead striker would never win the Champions League. I think I'm still right, only because he'll waste his prime at Spurs. But he's genuinely a great striker, and would do great anywhere.

Summit

I've already mentioned Scholes if you read back and how highly I rated him, yet he never gets mentioned when talking about the golden generation. We're agreeing to a point you're just missing what I'm trying to get across.
I initially read your post wrong. Thought you mentioned because he didn't have the x-factor he isn't a big club, when you meant he doesn't get mentioned among the best because of this this. fml. :nervous::wenger:

edcunited1878

I gather that are strong similarities to Kane and Scholes...quiet, non-headline guys; they do their job very directly, not much flash, just results and high quality.

Kane is a class striker with a proper mix of will, skill, intelligence and technical ability. He's overcome some injuries already and shown his resolve, so nothing but respect for the lad. Fun to watch.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Anyone who calls Harry Kane limited does not understand football. He is technically superb and he is, in my opinion, currently the best striker in the Premier League. He may one day be the best in the world.

Spurs should be proud.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
But he doesn't "look average at everything". There are several areas of his game that look (and are) outstanding, so IMO it's more that because he's English - and doesn't play for RM, Barca or Bayern Munich - he can't (according to some) be all that good.
I disagree with you a lot. But you are spot on about Kane.

I wish our players looked as 'average' as Kane. Outstanding player.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Whats the chance he goes to Madrid given that Benzema is aging?
Unfortunately Kane is aging as well. Real will have to look elsewhere for their immortal needs.

In seriousness though. Kane could only do well in Madrid if Ronaldo left. Kane is quite the selfish shooter and player at times which suits us just fine, but it would go down incredibly poorly in Madrid especially with Ronaldo who wants the goals himself.

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I think he could break Shearer's record also.

Shearer had 81 PL goals by the age of 25 (not counting his First Division goals obviously), Kane is on 82 already and presumably - barring injury - will be over 100 by the end of the season when he'll reach the same age.

I would expect him to continue scoring at a similar rate for the next 4 seasons as he's entering what should be his prime (especially for a striker who doesn't greatly rely on pace, keeps himself in excellent shape and is supremely dedicated to his craft) so he could be at around 200 by the time he's 29.

The question then will be longevity I think - will he continue to score goals and play in to his mid 30's like Shearer? He would only need around 10/12 a season average for the next 5/6 years to do it.

Of course you can't predict things like injuries, he doesn't seem to suffer many non-contact injuries though and as mentioned keeps himself in great shape unlike a lot of footballers. Then there's the question over whether he'll actually stay in the PL, if he's still hitting around 25 goals a season though his mid 20's then the likes of Real Madrid might come calling sooner or later...

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I still stand by my view if he was better looking or more glamorous/marketable he'd be much higher rated. I said it weeks ago on here and said it over a year ago elsewhere, he's class but people don't give him credit cos he's a bit ordinary in his presence to put it kindly. The more he scores the more people have to admit he's brilliant. Shame he hasn't got the looks of Beckham or the fascination factor of Gazza.

Reminds me of Scholes in a way, as a Liverpool fan I can admit and still feel that lad didn't get the accolades he could have done, absolutely phenomenal player but Lamps and Gerrard got all the headlines and quite often a place in the England team to Scholes detriment. Even now he doesn't get brought up enough when talking about the golden generation.
It's the exact same for Eriksen in my opinion.

Sylar

If he stays injury free and in the league, I honestly think he will beat Shearers record.
He has nearly 100 in just over 3 seasons and hes just turned 24 a few months ago.
You gotta think another 25 league goals season is incoming.

obviously shearer was helped by the three 30+ seasons but no reason Kane cant do the same. He can really put the non top6 teams to the sword. And you gotta think he will get it right in August soon :lol:

Are any Spurs fans worried if they dont win trophies this season or next season? (thats the Wembley season and first season at new stadium out the way). He would then be entering 26, pretty much prime you would think.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I initially read your post wrong. Thought you mentioned because he didn't have the x-factor he isn't a big club, when you meant he doesn't get mentioned among the best because of this this. fml. :nervous::wenger:
No worries mate, it's late. Easy to misread things :D

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
It's the exact same for Eriksen in my opinion.
You could be right fella, I'll admit I don't watch him enough to know but when I do catch him he's controlling the game quite a lot and he's got a pass to die for. He's Icelandic so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets underrated. Gudjinho, he's probably worth an extra 20m. Sad but true

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Raul did, Morientes did. They were both kind of similiar players, not blessed with amazing speed but hit the back of the net consistently.
He's very clinical. What do Real fans prefer, entertainment or just outright clinical goals? He'll never be a Ronaldo (Portuguese or Brazillian version) type flair player which Real usually prefer but I agree with one of the posts above in comparing him to Raul and Morinetes.
Thanks guys. It would be great if he could become another Raúl. I think Bernabéu tend to underestimate that type of strikers. While scoring everything is going well, but as soon as he fails a couple of games fans will begin to say that he is not technically at the required level (maybe I would be one of those).
"we sold Morata and spent the double in this guy".
In any case for what I have heard is a serious option for the future

Last edited:

cyberman

He won't leave England imo.
I did say he was having a better year than Neymar and got laughed at

MalcolmTucker

You could be right fella, I'll admit I don't watch him enough to know but when I do catch him he's controlling the game quite a lot and he's got a pass to die for. He's Icelandic so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets underrated. Gudjinho, he's probably worth an extra 20m. Sad but true
Danish

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Thanks guys. It would be great if he could become another Raúl. I think Bernabéu tend to underestimate that type of strikers. While scoring everything is going well, but as soon as he fails a couple of games fans will start to say that he is not technically at the required level (maybe I would be one of those).
"we sold Morata and spent the double in this guy".
In any case for what I have heard is a serious option for the future
As an English person I'd love to see an English person do well abroad. No doubt he'd do brilliantly in Madrid, give him chances and he'll bang them away. Doesn't seem the type to get overawed.

If England ever want to do well in a tournament we need to be letting our players move abroad to get a different playing style. Alli, Kane, Butland (I really rate this lad and he needs a big move) I'm no fan of Sterling but he's looking better lately, and then there's Walker, Stones et al. Not short of talent. All comes down to the spine though and we're halfway there with Butland, Alli and Kane. 3 potentially world class players (not yet, but could be)

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
So what im kind of getting from some of these posts is that Kane needs to make a sex tape, bang a spice girl, cause a feud with his coach or other known players, start hanging out with Hollywood celebs, assault someone , or do something to his appearance to make him look unique (dreads, ridiculous moustache?) in order to be considered world class.

Luke1995

This kid, he has so much potential. He has been scoring at least 30 goals per season since 2014-15. His prime years will likely come between 2019 and 2021. I don't understand why some people say he is overrated. At the end of the day, the main objective in football is to score goals to win a match and a tournament, if this kid can score on a consistent basis, it doesn't matter if he doesn't have the skills of Neymar or the pace of Bale. The question for me is: Can he score 50 goals this season ? He is the only striker in the world other than Rashford which I think will reach these figures in the next two seasons at most.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
He's currently Spurs' 14th all time top scorer and will probably 6th after this season.

Immense, immense talent he has, fantastic positioning, finishing, good in the air. He doesn't really look like a top class footballer but you can't argue with his numbers; 31, 28, 35 goals last three years is a huge haul.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat

Very strange post.

Kane could easily become a superstar in terms of profile at United or Real.

He can play like a superstar at Spurs but might not get the publicity he would at a United. Not that he would. Want that aspect... the sponsorship deals and wages, however...

Anyways, he is a great player and I hope he stays at Spurs for a good while if not forever.

Stadjer

As a Spurs player he has proven to be a very good striker but everytime i see him or read about him i think back to last EC. It doesnt say anything because loads of quality players have had mediocre or bad international tournaments but Kane might have been the worst "top" player ive seen at a international tournament.

For some reason he was taking the set pieces and they were laughable.. added to that his overal performances were really bad if i remember correct. Getting knocked out by Iceland didnt help either (eventhough that same Iceland beat our Dutch national team in the qualifiers)

It doesnt mean much but for me it did ruin a bit of his reputation. He is still fairly young and will likely play more international tournaments so hopefully he will do better since he isnt a bad striker at all.

As a side note, i do agree with the other posters about him missing the "wow" or x-factor".. he seems kinda boring but so was Scholes and he was one of my favorite players.

Seij

He's one of those players who don't look graceful but is incredibly gifted at scoring goals. No doubt a world class striker at this point. His record speaks for itself. Replace him with another player at Spurs and there's very few players in the world will score as many as he does.