Harry Kane Work Stoppage

TheRedHearted

People still underestimate the psychological impact of missing out on his last shot at a top club. A part of him will always hate that Levy denied him the move, and in general he won't be as happy as he was in the past because this will keep playing on his mind. I'm convinced that to be at you best you have to be mentally in the right place as well.
He could still move in the summer. Honestly if he gets dropped might do his body some good. Then he goes and has a great World Cup and he would get sold.

Sylar

Gary Neville didn’t say a word. Probably got another golf game booked in
He said we would win the title with him signed (instead of Ronaldo) with the other signings as well

So yeah

Trequarista10

People still underestimate the psychological impact of missing out on his last shot at a top club. A part of him will always hate that Levy denied him the move, and in general he won't be as happy as he was in the past because this will keep playing on his mind. I'm convinced that to be at you best you have to be mentally in the right place as well.
Correct. It's a concept that is often ignored by pundits, both TV and armchair.

LDUred

The elephant is still in the room: Mauricio Pochettino should never have been sacked.

Spurs will end up sacking Nuno and a lot of their fans will be calling for the return of Poch, who should never have been dismissed in the first place.

Levy held on to Kane to massage his own ego by playing hardball; now he is lumbered with a disinterested player whose value is decreasing rapidly. He has messed up on so many transfers due to his own arrogance; he actually accepted less for Modric from Real just so he wouldn't go to Chelsea and went back on his own word in the process.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

The elephant is still in the room: Mauricio Pochettino should never have been sacked.

Spurs will end up sacking Nuno and a lot of their fans will be calling for the return of Poch, who should never have been dismissed in the first place.

Levy held on to Kane to massage his own ego by playing hardball; now he is lumbered with a disinterested player whose value is decreasing rapidly. He has messed up on so many transfers due to his own arrogance; he actually accepted less for Modric from Real just so he wouldn't go to Chelsea and went back on his own word in the process.
Spot on, Poch should never have been sacked. Levy wrote in a foreword of a book on Poch I think just a few months earlier about planning for a big future together and there was a trust between them - then he sacks them on his first bad run of games over his entire tenure at the club.

Usually it’s easier to sack the manager than get of the players…but this was a rare case where you had to back the manager over the players, the manager was the trump card. A lot of those players left or don’t feature anymore anyway, so the whole endeavour was pointless.

Someone

Something
He could still move in the summer. Honestly if he gets dropped might do his body some good. Then he goes and has a great World Cup and he would get sold.
He won't look like a great investment next summer at 29 following what's shaping up to be a poor season. United won't go for him due to his age, and City will more likely go after Haaland or another target. Not sure who else might be interested, but last summer was really a great opportunity. To get a good move next summer his price tag needs to be slashed by half at least which will make Levy look like a clown.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don’t footballers who down tools for a long period struggle to ever get that fire back? Not many examples to go off but it’s seemed that way.

I don't think he's downed tools, I just don't think he's capable anymore.

His injuries the last 2 or 3 years have robbed him of the acceleration and agility he used to use to get that bit of space he needed for his shot. Add in no rest this summer and he can't play like he used to. I don't see him ever getting it back either, he'll be 29 next summer and what top club is going to come in for him now?

TheLiverBird

He hasn't had a good game for spurs or England since last January.

Its nto downing tools, hes just lost his edge.

This is what kane is now. He was like it for spurs, he was the same throughout the euros, and hes been the same this season.
Since January to the end of the Euros

Kane has appeared for Club and Country a combined 36 times scoring 23 goals

They are quite well spread out during that period too

Hardly a player that has lost his edge since January, he’s been banging them in left right and centre since before this season started.

He’s properly fallen off a cliff since his Man City move collapsed, pure and simple.

He’s not getting any younger and the time to move at peak career past him by because of Levvy and it’s ruined his mentality.

Levy has squandered £100 million pay check, and Kane hasn’t kept his sh*t together and made himself less attractive with his shocking abysmal performances, City aren’t going to be interested in January or next Summer if he keeps this display up.

RUCK4444

Hardly a player that has lost his edge since January, he’s been banging them in left right and centre since before this season started.

He’s properly fallen off a cliff since his Man City move collapsed, pure and simple.

He’s not getting any younger and the time to move at peak career past him by because of Levvy and it’s ruined his mentality.

Levy has squandered £100 million pay check, and Kane hasn’t kept his sh*t together and made himself less attractive with his shocking abysmal performances, City aren’t going to be interested in January or next Summer if he keeps this display up.
Largely agree apart from the bolded because it’s not Levy’s fault, it’s Kane’s and his inept brother/agent who agreed to sign that deal in the first place.

I said at the time, along with many, that he’s signed away the peak period of his career and that was his decision, nobody else’s. It’s was perhaps the single biggest idiotic thing I’ve seen from a player in the last decade or so, said that at the time.

TheLiverBird

Largely agree apart from the bolded because it’s not Levy’s fault, it’s Kane’s and his inept brother/agent who agreed to sign that deal in the first place.

I said at the time, along with many, that he’s signed away the peak period of his career and that was his decision, nobody else’s. It’s was perhaps the single biggest idiotic thing I’ve seen from a player in the last decade or so, said that at the time.
Yeh true

Now before I mention anything about gentlemen’s agreement, I know that such a thing is none existent in big business, things change, finances/profit margins change etc so such agreements are to be taken with a pinch of Salt.

Kane isn’t a businessmen though, not in the entrepreneurial sense of course….he’s a footballer with money, my memory can’t quite remember but did Kane say he had this gentleman’s agreement before he signed this contract??? Genuine question? And I’m not saying that takes any blame off of Kane, he still signed the contract, but was this agreement before pen touched paper?

Kane and his personal team shouldn’t have been so gullible and Levy shouldn’t have promised something which could lead to a fall out such as what has happened

If this is the case of course.

RUCK4444

Yeh true

Now before I mention anything about gentlemen’s agreement, I know that such a thing is none existent in big business, things change, finances/profit margins change etc so such agreements are to be taken with a pinch of Salt.

Kane isn’t a businessmen though, not in the entrepreneurial sense of course….he’s a footballer with money, my memory can’t quite remember but did Kane say he had this gentleman’s agreement before he signed this contract??? Genuine question? And I’m not saying that takes any blame off of Kane, he still signed the contract, but was this agreement before pen touched paper?

Kane and his personal team shouldn’t have been so gullible and Levy shouldn’t have promised something which could lead to a fall out such as what has happened

If this is the case of course.
Oh I've no doubt Levy gave him some sort of 'gentlemans agreement' but how Naive do you have to be. I mean, I hate agents, but any agent worth his salt would have pointed out the glaringly obvious that he was one of the two best strikers in world football at the time with the world at his feet and his choice of any club in Europe pretty much, why on earth would you tie yourself to Spurs in that situation is beyond me.

Levy in the position he was would have done/said anything to get him to sign a new contract and thereby maximise his value for any potential buyer or worst case tie him to the club for as long as possible. Levy thought he'd just knuckle down and get on with it, it's backfiring on him now because he's seemingly completely downed tools.

But in any walk of life/industry you never sign a legally binding document/contract on the basis of somebody's word or a shake of the hand. Were not talking about a round of pints here either, in a short career he's signed away his peak years as a footballer on the shake of a hand with a notorious @rsehole, incredibly naive. Think of the wages he's thrown away, never mind the trophies, he could have doubled his wages elsewhere in this time.

Those goals have been almost entirely against cannon fodder though. Since the 6 - 1 against us over a year ago he has scored just one goal against a top team, Leicester, on the last day of last season.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Has he completely wrapped his tits in? Bullet well and truly dodged.

the_cliff

Fred has more goals than him, you won't see the media mention it though.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
The English media bias has always been brutal. Sterling getting motm over Bernardo last night was insane.

But the amount of leniency towards Harry Kane tops all of it.

ariveded

Ronaldo despite scoring goals, gets lots of criticism for his supposedly lack of pressing.

While, Kane gets little critcism about his lack of goals, lack of pressing, lack of the off-the ball play.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ronaldo despite scoring goals, gets lots of criticism for his supposedly lack of pressing.

While, Kane gets little critcism about his lack of goals, lack of pressing, lack of the off-the ball play.
Will Jonathan Wilson sell a book to explain why Kane presses better than Ronaldo?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Just goes to show when you're England captain and have mates in the press, the media will take it easy on you. I'm just imagining the media pressure if this was Ronaldo or Salah or Hazard with this type of drop in goals/assists/performance after a failed attempt to strong arm yourself away from your boyhood club in the summer.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I remember Rooney had a similar treatment. He was obviously past it, playing with a beer gut and couldn’t run, but according to pundits and the press “it’s Wayne Rooney, he scores goals like he’s always done”.

To them there’s no such thing as a decline, just a blip. Kane has had knees made out of biscuits for ages, now it’s caught up with him. Shame we didn’t get to see City find this out though.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is suffering a bit of a confidence crisis since the summer situation. I think he will overcome it eventually and he still is playing some top level stuff in terms of his passing and creativity but in front of goal he is snatching at chances he would normally bury 95% of the time. All this talk about him being finished is nonsense in my opinion - Kane has never relied on pace as a striker so losing a yard of pace won't make a huge difference to him - he might transform from a striker into a creative attacking midfielder though in his later years and he will likely be very good at it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I remember Rooney had a similar treatment. He was obviously past it, playing with a beer gut and couldn’t run, but according to pundits and the press “it’s Wayne Rooney, he scores goals like he’s always done”.

To them there’s no such thing as a decline, just a blip. Kane has had knees made out of biscuits for ages, now it’s caught up with him. Shame we didn’t get to see City find this out though.
Kane, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Shearer and probably a few more.

Mike Smalling

You people won't even acknowledge his 6 goals in 5 games in the Europa Conference League. It's borderline embarrassing.

InfiniteBoredom

He is suffering a bit of a confidence crisis since the summer situation. I think he will overcome it eventually and he still is playing some top level stuff in terms of his passing and creativity but in front of goal he is snatching at chances he would normally bury 95% of the time. All this talk about him being finished is nonsense in my opinion - Kane has never relied on pace as a striker so losing a yard of pace won't make a huge difference to him - he might transform from a striker into a creative attacking midfielder though in his later years and he will likely be very good at it.
The same thing was said of RvP and the moment his physical atrributes went he had a precipitous decline and was pretty much done in 2 years. Messi was said to be able to drop deeper in his later years but looking at the way he moves on the pitch now only a mad man would play him in CM.

Not accepting that 100m in the summer could be the biggest blunder Levy has ever made, and he has made a few.

Bestie07

Losing a yard of pace is always an issue, even for players that don't necessarily rely on it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The same thing was said of RvP and the moment his physical atrributes went he had a precipitous decline and was pretty much done in 2 years. Messi was said to be able to drop deeper in his later years but looking at the way he moves on the pitch now only a mad man would play him in CM.

Not accepting that 100m in the summer could be the biggest blunder Levy has ever made, and he has made a few.
He is only 28!!! You are talking like he is 34 here (also Kane only started playing regular top level football at 21/22). The problem with Kane right now is not physical - it's mental.

The Purley King

After 6 goals in 2 games during the international break I put him in my FF team and captained him 3 times.

So that is the explanation for his recent performances..............

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't see what the benefit was for Levy to reject the offer from City (if it was even on the table), other than making a statement. It will look bad in the eyes of potential future signings (you don't want to be stuck at Spurs), Kane looks disinterested, the club's financial position is not so strong.

romufc

English media at its finest here.

Is there really a difference between Kane and Ronaldo's pressing?

I am sure Ronaldo at his age is still quicker than Kane and now has more goals.

Wonder if Merson still thinks we should have spent £150m on Kane.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Wasn't that more a defending Ole reach (especially by Neville/Scholes) as opposed to picking on CR7 per se.

InfiniteBoredom

He is only 28!!! You are talking like he is 34 here (also Kane only started playing regular top level football at 21/22). The problem with Kane right now is not physical - it's mental.
RvP was done when he was 31, Shevchenko at 30, Torres at 27.

Strikers being done in their late 20s as physical decline starts to seep in is nothing really new, and I'm mostly disputing the notion that he can drop deeper as he ages because of his link up and what not, his link up is an asset as a striker, it would be wholly inadequate as a creative player, whether as an attacking midfielder or any deeper midfield position. We experienced it with Rooney for 2 years, it wasn't pretty.