g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
not a hope in hell. more chance of singing Ronaldo, Messi and Suarez in one day

EyeInTheSky

On the contrary, the crux of your post is that:

(a) Levy's policy towards star players not being sold to Prem rivals is dangerous, unrealistic, ignorant, inhumane etc. However, seeing a the policy has successfully stood for 9 years and counting, your characterisation of it withered on the vine many years ago.

(b) The unhappiness of Spur's players will be heard in the form of mass transfer requests. Well, seeing as this hasn't happened for 9 years and counting, I wouldn't hold my breath of I were you.

(c) Why join Spurs when their chairmen drastically limits where they can play football next should they choose to leave? I guess the people to ask are Alderweireld, Alli, Lloris, Eriksen ... and other poor misguided fools who don't seem to have quite grasped quite how dangerous, unrealistic, ignorant and inhumane (etc) Levy actually is. Well, in time they will ... next summer, or maybe the one after that, or perhaps the one after that. But which ever it is, rest assured that DOOM is imminent for Spurs (as it apparently is every summer).

(d) Spurs are simply a stepping stone to a bigger, more fanciful English club for a great many players. Except not for the last 9 years and counting. But again, no matter, rest assured that DOOM is imminent for Spurs.
yeah not so much English clubs anymore but foreign clubs yes. Not sure what your point is here?

Also it is irrelevant as Spurs don't win ANYTHING so naturally the biggest clubs are not after every single one of your players. You speak of "DOOM" as if somehow not finish mid table is an achievement.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I see. So insisting that players either honour the contract they signed or else take up an exit option abroad (it's you that added in "rot in the reserves") is "ignorant" and "inhumane" ... the poor darlings.

As for the rest, I've heard it all before and pretty much every summer: the prediction that good players will stop signing for Spurs because of Levy's policies. Except (and just like the predicted mass exodus of our best players), it somehow never actually happens .... another Cassandra-like prophecy of doom that always evaporates like mist.

You also say that: "Spurs are simply a stepping stone to a bigger, more fanciful English club". Get with the times, sunshine, Berbatov was 9 years ago .... so your wishful-thinking claim is woefully out of touch and woefully out of date.
If a player really wants out, there would be a sit down. Luckily for them -from what i can grasp is that Spurs seem to have a good hiring agency in place, as a consequence of this them players bond really well together. Don't think the likes of Alli, Kane, Dier or others would give up on this just because they can get more money or potential trophies. It's more or less a big family for most of them, including their star players.

Sorry but that point is completely untrue and has not been the case for a long time now. It could be seen as a stepping stone to a top level european club in Spain, etc. as has been the case for some of our past players however the same could be said of every club in England. We are not a stepping stone club to a bigger, more fanciful ENGLISH club at all. If we continue to get into top 4/challenge for title every season then that will not change. If a player wants to play for a top club in the Premiership then Spurs are up there with the likes of City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Utd now. We may not be anywhere near as big or as rich a club as many of those clubs named however we are right up in the mix and would be just as attractive a proposition to many players as any of them.
You could argue that for the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and sadly Man United these days. But if you go toe to toe with Manchester City and better Chelsea you will most likely lose. For example back in 2013 Chelsea intervened when Willian was close joining you lot and it was an easy choice for him. Was Salah a similar case before he joined Chelsea, tbf not sure on this one. Do you think you could have won the race for Jesus against City/Guardiola? Don't think so! My saying is that if Chelsea/City really want a player, you can't win the race.

There's one thing you can offer and that is playing time. The better the player, the less interesting this becomes, because guys like Jesus or Mbappe would play anywhere. Playing time is a good thing for players such as Son which is a pretty decent buy who impressed more than the Nolitos, Navas or Martials of last season.

Nevertheless for me as an outsider Spurs last window turned out to be quite a disappointment. This Janssen dude seems pretty lame and in addition with Sissoko Spurs did burn some money. They need to do better, otherwise their emergence won't continue the way it did before.

togg

(a) Levy's policy towards star players not being sold to Prem rivals is dangerous, unrealistic, ignorant, inhumane etc. However, seeing a the policy has successfully stood for 9 years and counting, your characterisation of it withered on the vine many years ago.

(b) The unhappiness of Spur's players will be heard in the form of mass transfer requests. Well, seeing as this hasn't happened for 9 years and counting, I wouldn't hold my breath of I were you.

(c) Why join Spurs when their chairmen drastically limits where they can play football next should they choose to leave? I guess the people to ask are Alderweireld, Alli, Lloris, Eriksen ... and other poor misguided fools who don't seem to have quite grasped quite how dangerous, unrealistic, ignorant and inhumane (etc) Levy actually is. Well, in time they will ... next summer, or maybe the one after that, or perhaps the one after that. But which ever it is, rest assured that DOOM is imminent for Spurs (as it apparently is every summer).

(d) Spurs are simply a stepping stone to a bigger, more fanciful English club for a great many players. Except not for the last 9 years and counting. But again, no matter, rest assured that DOOM is imminent for Spurs.
I like you Glaston, I might not always agree with you but you are one of the more coherent and knowledgeable guys on here, albeit a Spurs fan! You support your club well with decent arguments. As I've said before, I think Levy would be lynched even if he merely suggested that a sale of Kane was not theoretically out of the question. There is no way he would sell to a major rival unless it was abroad and that isn't going to happen either. The whole Kane to United thing is some whimsical fantasy of a bored journalist. Sure Mourinho can say he admires him...doesn't mean he thinks he could get him. He's not daft!

Nakhon Phanom

Theres more chance of me being the father of Beyonces twins than there is of United signing Harry Kane !;)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

During this 9 year period in which you claim this policy was in effect, Spurs had very few players who could be considered "in demand" by the bigger clubs around England or indeed the world. It wasn't untill last season that Spurs could be classed as a top4 club (in my opinion) and actually had some damn good players worth bidding for.

For me your 9 year argument is false, this time next summer will we see just how effective it truly is.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I am saying that before saying he has so much more to him, let him do it at world level 1st. Like saying Mbappe has so much more than striker Z, even though striker Z has been scoring goals at the highest level, internationally and in Europe. Kane still has to prove himself outside of the premier league.

Also Ruud's goals to game is lower as he had that season where he played only 17 games and was constantly out with injury, hence he only played 17 league games. typically it would be similar to Kanes, with the added bonus that Ruud will also be top scorer in the champions league as well :)
Goal to game ratio was for their entire career and I also mentioned it since you talked about how few have a better goal to game ratio, Kane being one of them.

For me, Ruud was a top striker, and Kane is one as well, how good Kane will be in comparison to Ruud time will tell, but I think many people underrate how good he is, especially as a 23 year old.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
During this 9 year period in which you claim this policy was in effect, Spurs had very few players who could be considered "in demand" by the bigger clubs around England or indeed the world. It wasn't untill last season that Spurs could be classed as a top4 club (in my opinion) and actually had some damn good players worth bidding for.

For me your 9 year argument is false, this time next summer will we see just how effective it truly is.
:lol: Yeah, it's always "next summer" .... just you wait and see :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If you bothered to read and grasp the crux behind my earlier posts, you will see that the reasoning behind it is perfectly feasible. Do I really need to point it out again? Your compatriot clearly grasped the concept, unfortunate that you do not.

oh, and heres a :lol: just for you. Since you clearly believe it empowers your argument.

walkinhop

I don't see the big deal here. As long as Spurs haven't won anything of worth, they will always be a 2nd grade club. Sure, on the rise and exciting and all but a 2nd grade club in England

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Destined to score a stupid amount of goals at Spurs, be a total legend there and win next to nothing. Can't see him ever leaving even with him being so young.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If you bothered to read and grasp the crux behind my earlier posts, you will see that the reasoning behind it is perfectly feasible. ...
Let's see now, which Spurs players either are desired by rival Prem clubs or have been desired by rival Prem clubs in the last 9 years?

Bale, Modric, Lloris, Kane, Alli, Alderweireld, Eriksen .... to name seven. How many have been sold to Prem rivals: NONE. How many will be sold this summer: NONE

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Let's see now, which Spurs players either are desired by rival Prem clubs or have been desired by rival Prem clubs in the last 9 years?

Bale, Modric, Lloris, Kane, Alli, Alderweireld, Eriksen .... to name seven. How many have been sold to Prem rivals: NONE. How many will be sold this summer: NONE
Yeah, they won't be sold to PL club but it was funny when you were so cocky that Bale won't leave Spurs to Madrid or any club just days before he left.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

How many of the aforementioned were/are United interested in, is a fairer question.

Bale went to Madrid for the then world record fee of £85m(?). Obviously there were very few clubs prepared to meet or indeed exceed such a mammoth bid. Madrid wanted him they got him, like they usually do.

Modric: I cannot recall much in the way of detail regarding this transfer in all honesty, but again, with Madrid being involved, any attempts to lure him elsewhere would be fruitless. We both know that.

Lloris: How is this even relevant? He hasn't been sold yet, and we already have a superior keeper. Not interested.

Kane: Next season, assuming he progresses as expected, we will see more action on this front. N/A to your point.

Alli: Next season, assuming he progresses as expected, we will see more action on this front. N/A as of yet.

Alderweireld: Nothing special. Good player, but not significantly so when compared to United's current personnel. Not interested

Erikson: Underrated, perhaps. Still not good enough for a club who harbor ambition to win the CL as a long-term goal. Not interested.

Erm. Yeah.

*edit*

Obviously with regards to Alli and Kane, the only players currently playing for Spurs whom I consider United material, their proposed exit to United will depend heavily on the factors earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

BigDub

Supports
Spurs
How many of the aforementioned were/are United interested in, is a fairer question.

Bale went to Madrid for the then world record fee of £85m(?). Obviously there were very few clubs prepared to meet or indeed exceed such a mammoth bid. Madrid wanted him they got him, like they usually do.

Modric: I cannot recall much in the way of detail regarding this transfer in all honesty, but again, with Madrid being involved, any attempts to lure him elsewhere would be fruitless. We both know that.

Lloris: How is this even relevant? He hasn't been sold yet, and we already have a superior keeper. Not interested.

Kane: Next season, assuming he progresses as expected, we will see more action on this front. N/A to your point.

Alli: Next season, assuming he progresses as expected, we will see more action on this front. N/A as of yet.

Alderweireld: Nothing special. Good player, but not significantly so when compared to United's current personnel. Not interested

Erikson: Underrated, perhaps. Still not good enough for a club who harbor ambition to win the CL as a long-term goal. Not interested.

Erm. Yeah.

*edit*

Obviously with regards to Alli and Kane, the only players currently playing for Spurs whom I consider United material, their proposed exit to United will depend heavily on the factors earlier in the thread.
I don't wish to join in on your and Glaston's little lovefest, but in regards to the bolded bit, you truly believe that Alli and Kane are the only players on Spurs' books that are "United Material"?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "United Material," but if that means "can play in this current United team," I think the list is a bit longer...

3KDré

Wanyama, Alderweireld, Rose, Kane, Alli would all slot straight in at this club IMO.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Wanyama, Alderweireld, Rose, Kane, Alli would all slot straight in at this club IMO.
I don't wish to join in on your and Glaston's little lovefest, but in regards to the bolded bit, you truly believe that Alli and Kane are the only players on Spurs' books that are "United Material"?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "United Material," but if that means "can play in this current United team," I think the list is a bit longer...
Wanyama plays in a position we are sorely lacking in, but is he good enough to take the mantle? Fabinho, Matic, Matuidi are perfectly viable alternatives. Herrera can play the role to Wanyama's standard if need be, though I feel he is better in a box to box role where he can contribute all over the pitch. Jose must feel the same way since he is desperately searching for a CDM this summer.

Alderweireld is a top defender but we already have Bailly and the new guy Lindelof, plus Rojo, assuming he can replicate his form prior to the injury. Along with Smalling, Jones and the various academy prospects, I'd say we are well set at center back. Not needed.

With Luke Shaw's future uncertain right now, due in no small part to his poor attitude last season, an argument could be made for the aquisition of one Danny Rose. Then again, if Shaw can reach his potential he will make that left-back slot his own. People forget just how talented he is, prior to the injury he was the best left back in the league. Shaw deserves one last season in which to prove himself based on his potential alone.

finneh

The problem Spurs will have with Alli and Kane is that it's great saying "we only sell abroad", but in reality how many overseas clubs can actually afford the £125+m fee and the wages required? You're looking at possibly Real Madrid, Barcelona and at a push PSG. I'd say you can discount the latter straight away as these players will want to play in one of the top leagues in Europe.

Therefore you're saying that the only way they can leave is if they sign for 2 clubs. Common sense suggests that those two clubs aren't necessarily going to be after either of them with their current rosters and other targets; so essentially telling them they can only leave to go abroad is tantamount to telling them they can't leave.

Then you ask yourself which clubs have kept players who want to leave for more than maybe a season? The answer is very few. Clubs either bribe the player into staying with a huge contract or convince him to stay for maybe one extra season as a gesture to the club (see Modric). Spurs can't bribe them with a huge contract so the situation becomes obvious: If Kane/Alli want to leave for the £250k+ contracts they deserve they will tell Levy of their decision and if he's lucky he will get an extra year out of them (I can see him being lucky with Kane but possibly not Alli).

I'd say at an absolute push then if Levy gets an extra year out of them I can see Alli leaving 2018 and Kane in 2020. Unfortunately for Spurs over the next 3 years the amount of money the stadium finance will cost them will outweigh the benefits of having a new stadium and so offering a contract to suit their ability will be impossible.

Varun

Staff
We cannot get Kane unless Spurs feck up massively and he forces a move out. That said, it has feck all to do with the genius that is Daniel Levy as Glaston has convinced himself of and everything to do with the insane amount of money in the PL now. There's simply no sane amount of money that's worth losing Kane for. It's the same for any other club in the top 2 tiers of football in England. Unless the club is fine with losing the player, you're not going to force a sale via the cheque book, times have changed.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Erm. Yeah.

*edit*

Now you're changing the goal posts, from Prem rivals to just United.

I also note, aside from your "nothing special" with regard to possibly the Prem's best CB (Alderweireld) - or one of the best at the very least - that you supply further "next season" references. As I've said, it's always "next season" that Spurs are predicted to sell their star players to Prem rivals ... except it hasn't happened for the last 9 years, and really amounts to little more than wishful thinking.

RyRoc

Sorry to jump in on this but is Walker no longer going City? Presumed that was close to being a done deal...?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Sorry to jump in on this but is Walker no longer going City? Presumed that was close to being a done deal...?
He might - it's not clear. But I don't regard Walker as one of our star players, and we already have Trippier, a very decent replacement.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Now you're changing the goal posts, from Prem rivals to just United.

I also note, aside from your "nothing special" with regard to possibly the Prem's best CB (Alderweireld) - or one of the best at the very least - that you supply further "next season" references. As I've said, it's always "next season" that Spurs are predicted to sell their star players to Prem rivals ... except it hasn't happened for the last 9 years, and really amounts to little more than wishful thinking.
I was speaking specifically from a United perspective simply because I am a fan of the club. Suffice to say that United will not be the only interested English club if/when Kane, Alli etc become available.

The notion that Alderweireld is the best center back in the league is hilarious. Good premier league defender sure, but no better than what we already have in my opinion. United were one of the best teams in the league last season from a purely defensive standpoint, the extra padding given from new signing Lindelof will only enhance an already powerful defence. Alderweireld is simply not needed. In any case I thought Verthoghen outperformed him last term. Sure I'll get shot down for that one :p

And I don't care what other posters have said to you in the past, I don't think it's relevant to the current debate no matter how much you attempt to hammer home the point.

Let's just see how Spurs progress next season before we go any further. This is getting old now.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Spurs success or lack of next season will determine how long this group stays together. Pochettino is the key factor, he has taken Spurs from habitual nearly men, to very nearly men. He is the providing the mental difference between where Spurs have often been in the past, and where they now aspire to be looking forward. Levy would be a fool to sell any of his main players while they have a chance of doing something memorable, and he is no fool.

It's a massive window for Spurs imo, all the big clubs are really looking to spend big, and despite how well Spurs have been playing they still have to keep on improving simply to maintain their position, before they can hope to improve upon it.

If Spurs don't win anything again this season, and i think it will only get increasingly harder for them, then i suspect Pochettino will probably leave for a bigger club, and with him goes Spurs chances of winning anything of note. If that happens, expect the likes of Ali, Kane, Erikson, Alderweireld, Lloris etc to start seriously considering their options.

So it would be beyond foolish to sell anyone they see as pivotal this year, and whoever they bring in needs to make them better. Can't afford another Janssen this season. So this next year is the most important one of all for Spurs imo, can they make the next step and keep this manager and group together for a couple more years, or not?

As a side note, if it doesn't go well for Utd this year and Jose were to leave, id take Poch at OT in a heartbeat. He may yet win the title with Kane and Dele Ali in his team, but they may well all be wearing red by that point.. :angel:

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs success or lack of next season will determine how long this group stays together. Pochettino is the key factor, he has taken Spurs from habitual nearly men, to very nearly men. He is the providing the mental difference between where Spurs have often been in the past, and where they now aspire to be looking forward. Levy would be a fool to sell any of his main players while they have a chance of doing something memorable, and he is no fool.

It's a massive window for Spurs imo, all the big clubs are really looking to spend big, and despite how well Spurs have been playing they still have to keep on improving simply to maintain their position, before they can hope to improve upon it.

If Spurs don't win anything again this season, and i think it will only get increasingly harder for them, then i suspect Pochettino will probably leave for a bigger club, and with him goes Spurs chances of winning anything of note. If that happens, expect the likes of Ali, Kane, Erikson, Alderweireld, Lloris etc to start seriously considering their options.

So it would be beyond foolish to sell anyone they see as pivotal this year, and whoever they bring in needs to make them better. Can't afford another Janssen this season. So this next year is the most important one of all for Spurs imo, can they make the next step and keep this manager and group together for a couple more years, or not?

As a side note, if it doesn't go well for Utd this year and Jose were to leave, id take Poch at OT in a heartbeat. He may yet win the title with Kane and Dele Ali in his team, but they may well all be wearing red by that point.. :angel:
Most spurs fans have been reading similar posts for many years now 'once x leave' or once x happens Spurs will fall back into where they belong. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but I think Spurs are in a stronger position than most people care to acknowledge, and I don't think it's as simple as claiming that once x inevitably happens (usually probably next season) then it will all fall down like a house of cards. I'm quite optimistic of our future, and believe we're in a stronger position than both Liverpool and Arsenal in the near to medium future, and currently also have a better team than United and on par with City / Chelsea.

And I'm not a betting man, but I would be extremely surprised to see Poch leave Spurs to manage another English club (and I don't think he'll leave before the project is finished), and also don't see either Kane or Alli at United.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Every time you've had a player that someone else wanted, that player left.

What are you banging on about 9 years for? Is that the time you started getting good sale values? Or are you really harking back to your last trophy?!?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

If by "massive" you mean that we need to sign some proven, high quality new players, then I don't agree.

For me this window is mainly about keeping the squad intact (i.e. no star players leaving + Alderweireld hopefully signing a new contract), bringing one or two academy/youth players into (or further into) the first team squad - perhaps Marcus Edwards and Josh Onomah - and maybe strengthening squad depth/competition with a couple of hopefully astute signings.

Our first XI is strong and hard to improve by signing new players without spending a lot of money - and in any case we don't have enough spare money for that right now.

Beyond that we can look forward to Lamela becoming available again, further improvement from young Harry Winks in his push for a regular starting slot in CM, and a better season for Janssen (who I think will also improve, bearing in mind that he has only just turned 23).

I know the counter-argument: that our rivals will spend/are spending big, and that Spurs will fall behind as a result. But as I said last summer, a settled squad, continuity and great team spirit count for a lot IMO - more than some give credit for.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Every time you've had a player that someone else wanted, that player left.

What are you banging on about 9 years for? Is that the time you started getting good sale values? Or are you really harking back to your last trophy?!?
Plenty of clubs would dearly like to sign Kane, for example, but he'll still be with us when we move into our new stadium

The reference to 9 years ago is the last time a star player from Spurs was sold to a Prem rival.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Plenty of clubs would dearly like to sign Kane, for example, but he'll still be with us when we move into our new stadium

The reference to 9 years ago is the last time a star player from Spurs was sold to a Prem rival.
That's such a weird qualifier. If Kane wanted to leave, a rival would buy him. He's hard to buy, sure. But you act like he can only move overseas.

Bale would have gone to an English club if they were his best option. You were just fortunate that he chose Real. (As was he)

It seems you're saying "It's been 9 years since we had a player that everyone wanted, who wanted to leave, that an English club could afford". All power to Levy for putting the brakes on cheap sales. All power to manages and players that have built year on year. But don't get delusional. For the first 8 of those years you didn't have any players that other teams wanted.

Besides all that; Walker is about to go to City. He may be replaceable but he's your first choice left back.

Cliche Guevara

Spurs could possibly sign the likes of Aubameyang and Lacazette for a combined £110m. They would need to consider whether they could sell Kane for enough to cover that and get more out of the players they bring in.

If at any point they decide they can, then that's when they'll possibly consider a sale.

If that was possible this window should Spurs go for it?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs could possibly sign the likes of Aubameyang and Lacazette for a combined £110m. They would need to consider whether they could sell Kane for enough to cover that and get more out of the players they bring in.

If at any point they decide they can, then that's when they'll possibly consider a sale.

We really couldn't though. Our biggest ever signing was £30 million, our biggest wage is around £110k per week. It is unlikely we could afford a total spend of £50 million this summer nevermind £110 million and we couldn't match the wages that other clubs would offer either of them. We will never sell Kane unless he decides he wants to leave the club.

Cliche Guevara

We really couldn't though. Our biggest ever signing was £30 million, our biggest wage is around £110k per week. It is unlikely we could afford a total spend of £50 million this summer nevermind £110 million and we couldn't match the wages that other clubs would offer either of them. We will never sell Kane unless he decides he wants to leave the club.
That would be funded by selling Kane, though.

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
That's such a weird qualifier. If Kane wanted to leave, a rival would buy him. He's hard to buy, sure. But you act like he can only move overseas.

Besides all that; Walker is about to go to City. He may be replaceable but he's your first choice left back.
Luckily for Spurs Kane clearly doesn't want to leave. He's a London boy tearing it up at the club he's been with for over a decade surrounded by his family and friends. Spurs have improved year on year and appear to be on the cusp of something great. He's getting new contracts offered multiple times per season and is already a two time golden boot winner. Why on earth would he leave?

Even if Spurs fail to win a pot in the next few years I can't see Harry wanting to go. Maybe by his late twenties he might get itchy feet if Spurs are still trophyless but that's the earliest I could see it happening. He's just got too much going right for him to make a move anytime soon.

Walker is a right back and towards the end of the season was no longer first choice. Trippier shared gametime with him and in my eyes at least outperformed him. But then I've always viewed Walker as an athlete not a footballer so I would think that.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
If by "massive" you mean that we need to sign some proven, high quality new players, then I don't agree.

For me this window is mainly about keeping the squad intact (i.e. no star players leaving + Alderweireld hopefully signing a new contract), bringing one or two academy/youth players into (or further into) the first team squad - perhaps Marcus Edwards and Josh Onomah - and maybe strengthening squad depth/competition with a couple of hopefully astute signings.

Our first XI is strong and hard to improve by signing new players without spending a lot of money - and in any case we don't have enough spare money for that right now.

Beyond that we can look forward to Lamela becoming available again, further improvement from young Harry Winks in his push for a regular starting slot in CM, and a better season for Janssen (who I think will also improve, bearing in mind that he has only just turned 23).

I know the counter-argument: that our rivals will spend/are spending big, and that Spurs will fall behind as a result. But as I said last summer, a settled squad, continuity and great team spirit count for a lot IMO - more than some give credit for.
Nah, not necessarily marquee signings as such, but at the intensity Spurs play at, it's a stretch to expect the same few players to maintain the extremely high standards of form and fitness required throughout a full season. Especially when your rivals don't have to do that due to their willingness to spend big simply to improve squad depth.

But you need more than you had last year. As good as you were, you still weren't as good as Chelsea. You need better options off the bench, especially away from home. Furthermore, your away form was your weakness last season, and this season you won't be able to depend on your home form, since you won't be playing there. Wembley is a big ass pitch Glaston, and it won't be the same for you as playing at the lane.

So yeah, not pissing on Spurs parade, i like watching them. But i have tbh, and say that i think you need better competition for your first team places to keep the standard going up. I can't see you winning the title without more in your locker than you had last year. The longer it goes without actually winning when you have been so close, the harder it gets to convince people that you are just as likely to win as your more successful rivals.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Luckily for Spurs Kane clearly doesn't want to leave. He's a London boy tearing it up at the club he's been with for over a decade surrounded by his family and friends. Spurs have improved year on year and appear to be on the cusp of something great. He's getting new contracts offered multiple times per season and is already a two time golden boot winner. Why on earth would he leave?

Even if Spurs fail to win a pot in the next few years I can't see Harry wanting to go. Maybe by his late twenties he might get itchy feet if Spurs are still trophyless but that's the earliest I could see it happening. He's just got too much going right for him to make a move anytime soon.

Walker is a right back and towards the end of the season was no longer first choice. Trippier shared gametime with him and in my eyes at least outperformed him. But then I've always viewed Walker as an athlete not a footballer so I would think that.
I've said elsewhere that I could see Kane staying at Spurs forever. Trophies or no trophies. I wouldn't claim to know the guy, but there's something about him. His not Bale/Ronaldo. He seems to have a good footballing attitude akin to Shearer/LeTissier.

The day he perhaps wants to go though is the day that Glaston presses reset on his 9 year clock. Can't imagine Harry going overseas.

With you on Walker too. He's not essential. But Spurs would still like to keep him and he's going to a rival. Might not meet ol' Glasters unique criteria for his special calendar though.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
That would be funded by selling Kane, though.
Even if we were to be able to buy those players (which I doubt because of our wage structure) we can still only field 11 players, and I wouldn't trade Kane for Aubameyang and Lacazette. The triangle of Kane, Alli and Erikssen is really strong and I wouldn't want to break that up, not even for two top talents.

Varun

Staff
Even if we were to be able to buy those players (which I doubt because of our wage structure) we can still only field 11 players, and I wouldn't trade Kane for Aubameyang and Lacazette. The triangle of Kane, Alli and Erikssen is really strong and I wouldn't want to break that up, not even for two top talents.
It's not a realistic swap either given the huge wage difference between Kane and Auba+Lacazette

Robertd0803

Only problem would be having to cover the wages of those two with Kanes (slightly lower than you would expect) wages.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
It's not a realistic swap either given the huge wage difference between Kane and Auba+Lacazette
Yeah definitely.

Nah, not necessarily marquee signings as such, but at the intensity Spurs play at, it's a stretch to expect the same few players to maintain the extremely high standards of form and fitness required throughout a full season. Especially when your rivals don't have to do that due to their willingness to spend big simply to improve squad depth.

But you need more than you had last year. As good as you were, you still weren't as good as Chelsea. You need better options off the bench, especially away from home. Furthermore, your away form was your weakness last season, and this season you won't be able to depend on your home form, since you won't be playing there. Wembley is a big ass pitch Glaston, and it won't be the same for you as playing at the lane.

So yeah, not pissing on Spurs parade, i like watching them. But i have tbh, and say that i think you need better competition for your first team places to keep the standard going up. I can't see you winning the title without more in your locker than you had last year. The longer it goes without actually winning when you have been so close, the harder it gets to convince people that you are just as likely to win as your more successful rivals.
This can be said for United as well, and Arsenal and Liverpool too. It's not something specific to Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.