Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah I don't get this. They are zonal marking and the ball dips into Matic's area.

People are making way too much of a screen shot in action "marking AWB" how stupid.
Stop with that zonal marking excuse already. Ball went straight in 6yard box near Maguire. We have "best defender in air" in PL and he doesn't even jump on that cross.
So what is your explanation of zonal marking? You stand on one spot and don't move by inch?
This is Maguire's fault. And later Lindelof's of course.

Mistakes happen. Bad defending happens. I have no problem with that. But i have a problem with silly excuses for some players.

romufc

I agree that any defender can get skinned, but some are easier to go past due to their limited mobility and reading of the game.

For example that piece of Skill from Gomes would turn any defender on earth imo, but how many of the top CB's would have stopped Bergwijn and Stanislas if they attempted on them what they did to Maguire?
I agree, but that was the first game from lockdown. Almost every player struggled that game. There has to be some leeway.

We know that is Maguire's weakness so what we drum down on a players weakness at every opportunity and forget all the positive attributes he brings to the team?

By no means is he VVD, neither is he Ake's level.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Stop with that zonal marking excuse already. Ball went straight in 6yard box near Maguire. We have "best defender in air" in PL and he doesn't even jump on that cross.
So what is your explanation of zonal marking? You stand on one spot and don't move by inch?

Mistakes happen. Bad defending happens. I have no problem with that. But i have a problem with silly excuses for some players.
:lol:

roonster09

Scout
Sometimes I wonder if fans actually watch the game or rival fan pages?
Well obviously when you pay 80 million, he should come with superman and spider man skill sets. I mean how can he not head the ball by somehow throwing himself infront of Matic and Southampton player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

There's literally no excuse. Do you think he's go go gadget man or something? The ball is flicked on before it gets anywhere near him.

Pause this video at 1.21 and then tell me again how it's Maguire's fault?

Yes pretty much and that's why I don't like zonal marking, it creates too much confusion. I'm sure though if Maguire could have got it he would have.

romufc

Well obviously when you pay 80 million, he should come with superman and spider man skill sets. I mean how can he not head the ball by somehow throwing himself infront of Matic and Southampton player.
Well, it is £80m so that is the least we should expect.. he is the best header of the ball, at least teleport to where the ball is going.

Fracture90

I agree, but that was the first game from lockdown. Almost every player struggled that game. There has to be some leeway.

We know that is Maguire's weakness so what we drum down on a players weakness at every opportunity and forget all the positive attributes he brings to the team?

By no means is he VVD, neither is he Ake's level.
Ok, i can abide by "first game after lockdown" but what's the excuse for Stanislas and other times he got turned throughout the season?

It may come to you as a surprise but i was actually against buying Lindelof and was arguing that the money should be spent to bring in Maguire, whom at the time was still playing for Hull and was priced at "measly" €17M. Would have been a great squad addition.

What i don't like is that by paying a world record fee for a player with such glaring flaw's that prevent us from fully commiting to a certain style, whilst making him a team captain in the process, we shoot ourselves in the foot. There's no way he's getting replaced or benched and we now have to make another huge money CB signing in order to make him look good, with him always being a liability due to his shortcomings.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I know that me and you often have different opinion but i don't know what is so funny here.
Ball goes in 6 yard box. Maguire is guarding that area. Surely he, as our best player in air (and in Pl in general) should go on that ball?
Off the topic, i hate this zonal marking. We have pretty tall squad. At that moment we had McT, Harry, Lindelof, AWB and Matic on the pitch. In 90th minute we should have play it on "safe" and play man to man.

izec

There's literally no excuse. Do you think he's go go gadget man or something? The ball is flicked on before it gets anywhere near him.

Yes pretty much and that's why I don't like zonal marking, it creates too much confusion. I'm sure though if Maguire could have got it he would have.
No point discussing with him. He is firmly in the Anti-Maguire camp and sucks Lindelöf's dick at every opportunity. More and more agenda posters on the caf these days unfortunately.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Np point discussing with him. He is firmly in the Anti Maguire camp and sucks Lindelöf's dick at every opportunity.
Very nice language. Thanks.
Btw, i immediately said that Lindelof's reaction was bad there. I like him but i am not blind regarding him.

roonster09

Scout
I know that me and you often have different opinion but i don't know what is so funny here.
Ball goes in 6 yard box. Maguire is guarding that area. Surely he, as our best player in air (and in Pl in general) should go on that ball?
Off the topic, i hate this zonal marking. We have pretty tall squad. At that moment we had McT, Harry, Lindelof, AWB and Matic on the pitch. In 90th minute we should have play it on "safe" and play man to man.
Maguire is one of the best in PL at heading the ball, doesn't mean he can head every ball which is everywhere. Check the goal again and see how is it even possible for Maguire to get infront of Matic and Southampton player when it takes less than a second for ball to reach from corner to Southampton player.

It's on Matic and Lindelof. .

Well I hate how we defend set pieces as we concede lot of goals and that's not even just this season.

Fracture90

Boredom at work leads to frustration and then using bad language on here. Good thing is i have a new job in a couple of months.
Surely boredom won't stop you from apologising, right? I mean by doing so you will kill some time and combat you're boredom issues.

romufc

Ok, i can abide by "first game after lockdown" but what's the excuse for Stanislas and other times he got turned throughout the season?

It may come to you as a surprise but i was actually against buying Lindelof and was arguing that the money should be spent to bring in Maguire, whom at the time was still playing for Hull and was priced at "measly" €17M. Would have been a great squad addition.

What i don't like is that by paying a world record fee for a player with such glaring flaw's that prevent us from fully commiting to a certain style, whilst making him a team captain in the process, we shoot ourselves in the foot. There's no way he's getting replaced or benched and we now have to make another huge money CB signing in order to make him look good, with him always being a liability due to his shortcomings.
There is no excuse, our CB should not be getting beat like that. The nutmeg is acceptable but to let him go past you is criminal.

Tbh, I didnt know much about Lindelof before he joined us, I was willing to give him time to adapt and he did. I am just curious as to why Jose bought him when he likes to have proper CB's.

No one likes us paying a world record fee, there is no defending that. But as you say, he is not going to be replaced, so can we not show him support and not blame goals that are not his fault to him?

We won't buy another huge money CB this summer.

Honestly, how many CB's have we or any top 6 club signed from around Europe and has hit the ground running?

Adam-Utd

No point discussing with him. He is firmly in the Anti-Maguire camp and sucks Lindelöf's dick at every opportunity. More and more agenda posters on the caf these days unfortunately.
Seems that way unfortunately :lol:

@Andycoleno9 Would you like to answer? I'm interested to see with the video evidence whether you still think it's Maguire's fault.

lsd

The Oracle

If Maguire didn't move towards the ball he clears it .

Instead of standing in his "zone " he got attracted to the ball when he was never going to win it .

Once Southampton won the flick on he should never have went towards the ball as he just took himself out of the equation .

If southampton didn't get the flick on then Matic was in position to clear it again no reason for Maguire to move forward.

This is why people are making a big deal of this in the media and online . It was poor defending . He made a terrible decision and it cost us

No amount of name calling or bending the rules of zonal marking is going to change that on your part .

Mcking

Yeah I don't get this. They are zonal marking and the ball dips into Matic's area.

People are making way too much of a screen shot in action "marking AWB" how stupid.
The delivery was away from his zone and he was out of the game the moment the ball was flicked on. That goal is the perfect way to figure out those that doesn't have a clue.
Or watched the match and saw maguire not use any of his experience to react to a situation and instead get drawn to a ball he was never going to win.
Yeah, they watched the match and used all their match-watching experience to conclude that Maguire was marking Wan-Bissaka.

Fracture90

There is no excuse, our CB should not be getting beat like that. The nutmeg is acceptable but to let him go past you is criminal.

Tbh, I didnt know much about Lindelof before he joined us, I was willing to give him time to adapt and he did. I am just curious as to why Jose bought him when he likes to have proper CB's.

No one likes us paying a world record fee, there is no defending that. But as you say, he is not going to be replaced, so can we not show him support and not blame goals that are not his fault to him?

We won't buy another huge money CB this summer.

Honestly, how many CB's have we or any top 6 club signed from around Europe and has hit the ground running?
You will always have a difference in opinion. I've seen people blame DDG, Matic, Maguire and Lindelof for that goal. If I have to pick one to blame, that would be Lindelof, he let a smaller man out muscle him and he tried to clear the ball with his left leg, instead with his right one.

But i don't understand that notion that just because things are as they are, we should be complacent. There will always be people that will defend his every error, there will be those that will point out his every error, those that will sing praise and showed him with criticism, that's the beauty of discussing.

Adam-Utd

If Maguire didn't move towards the ball he clears it .

Instead of standing in his "zone " he got attracted to the ball when he was never going to win it .

Once Southampton won the flick on he should never have went towards the ball as he just took himself out of the equation .

If southampton didn't get the flick on then Matic was in position to clear it again no reason for Maguire to move forward.

This is why people are making a big deal of this in the media and online . It was poor defending . He made a terrible decision and it cost us

No amount of name calling or bending the rules of zonal marking is going to change that on your part .
I don't agree at all, you're talking fractions of a second where you have to judge the flight of the ball and make your mind up.

You can't predict a flick on will happen like that, if Maguire was just standing still with no movement people would be saying like @Andycoleno9 "why do we pay 80m for somebody who doesn't try to head it".

Sometimes a goal is just a goal, you micro analyse every tiny step if you want but it doesn't mean it's an error.

You could say Matic is at fault for not winning it at the front post, De Gea for not being in the middle of the goal to block it, Lindelof for not being the right side of his man and getting to it first.

Nobody sane has made this a big deal at all tbh, I haven't heard any proper pundits saying it's all maguires fault?

romufc

You will always have a difference in opinion. I've seen people blame DDG, Matic, Maguire and Lindelof for that goal. If I have to pick one to blame, that would be Lindelof, he let a smaller man out muscle him and he tried to clear the ball with his left leg, instead with his right one.

But i don't understand that notion that just because things are as they are, we should be complacent. There will always be people that will defend his every error, there will be those that will point out his every error, those that will sing praise and showed him with criticism, that's the beauty of discussing.
There is no point getting into the blame game on the corner, it was a collective mistake rather than individual one to me. The delivery was great, Lindelof is not expecting it to get to the back post at that height, maybe if Brandon was on the pitch we would have had an extra body in the back post but anyway, it was a great ball into the box.

No we won't get complacent. If Maguire makes a clear error, it should be pointed out to him. Likewise, Rashford and Martial should have put the game beyond Southampton then we are cruising to victory. Rashford miss is just as crucial as a defensive error.

Hammondo

Let’s use the whoscored rating to compare some of the top defenders this season:

VVD - 7.38
Azpilicueta - 7.16
Maguire - 7.11
Ramos - 7.08
Godín - 7.05
Pique - 7.04
Acerbi - 7.03
Palomino - 6.98
Smalling - 6.97
Silva - 6.97
Djimsiti - 6.96
Evans - 6.95
Laporte - 6.93
Dias - 6.93
Zouma - 6.92
Felipe - 6.92
Boateng - 6.85
De Ligt - 6.83
Bonucci - 6.78
Lindelöf - 6.69
Koulibaly - 6.65
Skriniar - 6.59

Surprisingly Maguire has been one of the top performer this season, at least according to whoscored. Admittedly I was one of his biggest critics because of his lack of pace, slow movement and occasional defensive mistakes which cost us goals, not to say his overpriced fee too. But he has been doing alright overall if compared to others, to be fair.
Really scraping the bottom of the barrel using whoscored ratings.

Adam-Utd

Just few twitter troll accounts.
Makes sense tbh. Seems like they have to sensationalise everything or make a big deal of something just to get a few likes or retweets.

For some reason Maguire is a bit of a target, I guess because of the price tag. Weird though as I think apart from a few individual errors he's been very good this year.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Seems that way unfortunately :lol:

@Andycoleno9 Would you like to answer? I'm interested to see with the video evidence whether you still think it's Maguire's fault.
I never said that it is only his fault or that is even somebody's fault. It was just bad defending all around. Matic lost duel in air in the beggining and Lindelof's reaction at the end was pretty bad and if i must choose one player who is most "guilty" it would be Lindelof.
But i am just saying that Maguire should have tried to jump on that that ball and clear it. I don't see the point of having best player in air in 6yard box who is not jumping on that cross.

mancan92

The delivery was away from his zone and he was out of the game the moment the ball was flicked on. That goal is the perfect way to figure out those that doesn't have a clue.

Yeah, they watched the match and used all their match-watching experience to conclude that Maguire was marking Wan-Bissaka.
I didn't say he was marking wan Bissaka also most people are saying it as a joke because that's what it looks like on the video. But from most people's standpoint he didn't read the situation well at all and went for a ball he was never going to win instead of reading the game and anticipating the situation which is what he should of been doing.

I don't believe for one second that we zonally setup and decide to leave one man back post or in the 6 yard box.

Fracture90

There is no point getting into the blame game on the corner, it was a collective mistake rather than individual one to me. The delivery was great, Lindelof is not expecting it to get to the back post at that height, maybe if Brandon was on the pitch we would have had an extra body in the back post but anyway, it was a great ball into the box.

No we won't get complacent. If Maguire makes a clear error, it should be pointed out to him. Likewise, Rashford and Martial should have put the game beyond Southampton then we are cruising to victory. Rashford miss is just as crucial as a defensive error.
Lots of it's and but's for sure but some are more at blame than others.

Mcking

I didn't say he was marking wan Bissaka also most people are saying it as a joke because that's what it looks like on the video. But from most people's standpoint he didn't read the situation well at all and went for a ball he was never going to win instead of reading the game and anticipating the situation which is what he should of been doing.

I don't believe for one second that we zonally setup and decide to leave one man back post or in the 6 yard box.
The defensive organization was terrible, but Maguire almost always defends the centre of our six yard box. There was nothing to read there, the ball went to the front post and was flicked on to the back post, both of which Maguire was not responsible for.

Even if Maguire knelt down and put his hands in his back pockets when the ball was delivered, he shouldn't get direct blame because it was not his defending to do.

The players meant to be defending the two zones the ball landed should be blamed because if that ball was delivered to Maguire's zone, I'm confident the ball would have been met by a big square head.

Superb delivery though. Reminds me of Sigurdsson's deliverys in our game against Everton this season. Every single one was bang in the six yard box at devastating pace. Luckily we had Maguire to meet each of them.

mancan92

The defensive organization was terrible, but Maguire almost always defends the centre of our six yard box. There was nothing to read there, the ball went to the front post and was flicked on to the back post, both of which Maguire was not responsible for.

Even if Maguire knelt down and put his hands in his back pockets when the ball was delivered, he shouldn't get direct blame because it was not his defending to do.

The players meant to be defending the two zones the ball landed should be blamed because if that ball was delivered to Maguire's zone, I'm confident the ball would have been met by a big square head.

Superb delivery though. Reminds me of Sigurdsson's deliverys in our game against Everton this season. Every single one was bang in the six yard box at devastating pace. Luckily we had Maguire to meet each of them.
The Bournemouth striker makes contact with the ball with his foot not his head. If maguire doesn't push forward to attack the ball he is in a perfect position to head it away. But instead he misreads the flight of the ball and goes out of that area which he would have been in a perfect position to clear from.

I've never only blamed maguire for the goal I've made posts in all of the players performances thread for matic, de gea and linderlof as they all had a hand in the goal. Maguire needs to take a little bit extra as well because he is captain yet he allowed the team in the last minute of the game to setup for a corner like a Sunday league team it was very poor as a leader.

hmchan

Well firstly, we tried that with Linedelof and Bailly, similar fees via the scouting network. No one knows how well they will do in a different league at that age.

Diop and Soyuncu are not better than Maguire or Lindelof.

Yes, they look better because they play for a team that does not look at every goal conceded to the nth degree, if they did so, they would be worse than Maguire.

Diop plays for a West Ham team that defends in numbers, if he makes a mistake there are 4/5 players around him to cover.

Maguire when mistakes are made is left 2 v 2 because we are a different team.

Like it or not, being a CB at United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea is a different ball game to other teams in the league.
That's why we pay loads of money to hire scouts. Their job is to judge and predict whether players from smaller leagues are good enough to become one of us, not simply giving some big names whom everyone here has already known. We brought in Vidic from Spartak Moscow for 7m, we signed Evra from Monaco for 5.5m, no one knew how well they would do but the history speaks for itself. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but either way it still does less harm than going all in for a mediocre defender.

The problem here isn't whether Diop or Soyuncu is better than Maguire or Lindelof, it's whether "Smalling/a 20m CB + Bruno" is better than "Maguire + Lingard/Pereira". If yes it's yet another terrible business from us. I'm not suggesting we should buy Diop or Soyuncu for 60m, I'm saying we should go for a 20m option, like how West Ham and Leicester got them at the first place. Bailly had been decent before his injury problems, while Lindelof has now become an integral part of our defence. I don't see why we can't continue in this direction.

On a side note your post also suggests you have no idea about Diop and Soyuncu. Their teams play in a high line in most of their games and they certainly don't have four or five players around to cover for them. Their performances are arguably better than Maguire's time at Leicester. They are much quicker, much agiler, much more athletic than Maguire with higher mobility. All these suggest they are much more suited to play in teams like United, City, Liverpool and Chelsea than our slow, clumpsy Maguire.

romufc

That's why we pay loads of money to hire scouts. Their job is to judge and predict whether players from smaller leagues are good enough to become one of us, not simply giving some big names whom everyone here has already known. We brought in Vidic from Spartak Moscow for 7m, we signed Evra from Monaco for 5.5m, no one knew how well they would do but the history speaks for itself. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but either way it still does less harm than going all in for a mediocre defender.

The problem here isn't whether Diop or Soyuncu is better than Maguire or Lindelof, it's whether "Smalling/a 20m CB + Bruno" is better than "Maguire + Lingard/Pereira". If yes it's yet another terrible business from us. I'm not suggesting we should buy Diop or Soyuncu for 60m, I'm saying we should go for a 20m option, like how West Ham and Leicester got them at the first place. Bailly had been decent before his injury problems, while Lindelof has now become an integral part of our defence. I don't see why we can't continue in this direction.

On a side note your post also suggests you have no idea about Diop and Soyuncu. Their teams play in a high line in most of their games and they certainly don't have four or five players around to cover for them. Their performances are arguably better than Maguire's time at Leicester. They are much quicker, much agiler, much more athletic than Maguire with higher mobility. All these suggest they are much more suited to play in teams like United, City, Liverpool and Chelsea than our slow, clumpsy Maguire.
Yes, you an scout and I agree with that to some extent. Yes we bought Vidic and Evra and they done very well. Have you forgotten the Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Obertan, Bebe as well?

When you are winning titles, you can afford to take a risk on potentials, like Liverpool did with Minamino. However; the position Manutd were in, we needed someone to come in and make an impact now. Maguire has done that.

Forget what you and I think about what is better, if the manager decides he cannot play a certain style with Smalling, why persist?

I have no idea, yet Soyuncu has conceded 3 penalties and got 1 red card along with other mistakes he has made. Leicester's form is crap, he is in their defence which is leaking.

West Ham play a high line? we will see next week how high West Ham's line is. A team that has conceded almost 60 goals.

Mcking

The Bournemouth striker makes contact with the ball with his foot not his head. If maguire doesn't push forward to attack the ball he is in a perfect position to head it away. But instead he misreads the flight of the ball and goes out of that area which he would have been in a perfect position to clear from.

I've never only blamed maguire for the goal I've made posts in all of the players performances thread for matic, de gea and linderlof as they all had a hand in the goal. Maguire needs to take a little bit extra as well because he is captain yet he allowed the team in the last minute of the game to setup for a corner like a Sunday league team it was very poor as a leader.
The set-up was terrible no doubt, but Maguire's defending was not responsible for the goal. I've seen a few pin the goal squarely on him.

He moved his body like every defender does when a corner is coming in. There's no way he would have anticipated the ball moving exactly in the direction it did after it was flicked on. It's unrealistic for a human. The flick on did almost all the damage. Even those blaming Lindelof are being harsh.

The defensive set-up at the start was terrible, yes, but the moment Matic lost the first header, It was all about perfect place, perfect time.

Andersons Dietician

I don't agree at all, you're talking fractions of a second where you have to judge the flight of the ball and make your mind up.

You can't predict a flick on will happen like that, if Maguire was just standing still with no movement people would be saying like @Andycoleno9 "why do we pay 80m for somebody who doesn't try to head it".

Sometimes a goal is just a goal, you micro analyse every tiny step if you want but it doesn't mean it's an error.

You could say Matic is at fault for not winning it at the front post, De Gea for not being in the middle of the goal to block it, Lindelof for not being the right side of his man and getting to it first.

Nobody sane has made this a big deal at all tbh, I haven't heard any proper pundits saying it's all maguires fault?
Is anyone saying it’s all Maguire fault? There is a catalogue of errors in that one bit. Rashford getting beat, Matic not winning the header, Maguire being out of position marking Bissaka, Lindelof being the wrong side of his man. They are all at fault. No one is more at fault than the other.

As for this new thing about them not passing out from the back it was only a game or two ago he and Lindelof were spraying beautiful cross field Hollywood esque passes out to the wing like Rooney used to do.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Let’s use the whoscored rating to compare some of the top defenders this season:

VVD - 7.38
Azpilicueta - 7.16
Maguire - 7.11
Ramos - 7.08
Godín - 7.05
Pique - 7.04
Acerbi - 7.03
Palomino - 6.98
Smalling - 6.97
Silva - 6.97
Djimsiti - 6.96
Evans - 6.95
Laporte - 6.93
Dias - 6.93
Zouma - 6.92
Felipe - 6.92
Boateng - 6.85
De Ligt - 6.83
Bonucci - 6.78
Lindelöf - 6.69
Koulibaly - 6.65
Skriniar - 6.59

Surprisingly Maguire has been one of the top performer this season, at least according to whoscored. Admittedly I was one of his biggest critics because of his lack of pace, slow movement and occasional defensive mistakes which cost us goals, not to say his overpriced fee too. But he has been doing alright overall if compared to others, to be fair.
It's not surprising because it's not as easy to find a top centre back as people seem to think. Every one of those players listed you will find mistakes if analysed by the same standards as Maguire is here.

mancan92

The set-up was terrible no doubt, but Maguire's defending was not responsible for the goal. I've seen a few pin the goal squarely on him.

He moved his body like every defender does when a corner is coming in. There's no way he would have anticipated the ball moving exactly in the direction it did after it was flicked on. It's unrealistic for a human. The flick on did almost all the damage. Even those blaming Lindelof are being harsh.

The defensive set-up at the start was terrible, yes, but the moment Matic lost the first header, It was all about perfect place, perfect time.

As I said I never blamed just him there are 3 other players aswell. But he has some involvement. He didnt read the flight of the ball. If he read the flight properly he wouldn't of pushed forward so much as he knew he wasnt going to be anywhere near it.

ShinjiNinja26

He’s been a great signing overall, between him and AWB they’ve transformed our defence. It could still improve further but the difference in this season to last is massive.

However I don’t think Maguire’s form since the restart has been great and really needs to sort it out for these last few games which are so important. That also applies to the whole defence in general, getting far to sloppy as of late.

romufc

Every one of those players listed you will find mistakes if analysed by the same standards as Maguire is here.
This. We literally look at every goal looking for faults from Maguire and Lindelof. Every goal conceded, if you look that much in detail like the caf does, every goal will be a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.