Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
This guy was worth £20 million. I said it when it happened. An astonishing transfer.

GenZRed

To be honest he has been the worst of our players so far, our captain and 80 million defender. What happens to these players when they come to United?
Any player with any talent get it coached out of them after a few months.

EDIT:... while they are at Manchester United

Last edited:

Kostov

Appalling game. He’s better than that, but I though he is not prone to the horrific brain farts in the moments that matter, he proved me wrong. Hard as fecking butter, and no fecking captain after that.

Scholsey2004

Looks like the whole Greece thing has rattled him. His form has absolutely nose dived since the restart. This squad looks incredibly frail right now.

Greck

He wasn't that great last season. In fact it drew parallels with the season Jones and Smalling were the 2nd best defence as they were dropping errors left and right that were going unpunished. People correctly predicted the record was unsustainable and like clockwork their luck ran out and every mistake started ending in goals

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That header for the first goal was comical. Why is he so bad these days? Does he have it in him to recover?

That second goal was proper amateur stuff. Sure, foul Kane there. No problems with that. But he actually didn't stop Spurs from taking that quick freekick. I'd be fuming if that had been a team mate of mine in Sunday league.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
It was quite apparent when we went after him that he isn't worth what was demanded. But Ole wanted him so we paid 80m.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No we didn't. In fact we basically sacked the last manager over it
No Maguire wasn't who he wanted (he has said so himself), it was Skriniar, Maguire was the club scouts choice.
He was sacked because he didn't get anyone and called the club out

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I cant believe he dragged shaw back stopping his clearance for the equaliser.
I can. When things go wrong for him he doesn't have a cool head at all... He just just becomes panic stations and flaps around trying to amend for it.

Greck

No Maguire wasn't who he wanted (he has said so himself), it was Skriniar, Maguire was the club scouts choice.
That infamous interview Ed gave, didn't he say he vetoed the Maguire deal? He wasn't talking about the club's scout he was talking about Jose

mu4c_20le

That infamous interview Ed gave, didn't he say he vetoed the Maguire deal? He wasn't talking about the club's scout he was talking about Jose
Yes i remember Leicester wanted 75m the year before and we walked away

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I said to myself earlier this season I'd stop posting in this thread because I just add to the negativity. However, Maguire is the captain of my team and he shows no leadership. I can't accept it.

The media keeps telling me about his leadership. If he wasn't English would this propaganda continue? Where was his leadership when we needed him to take control of the situation in the build up to the first Spurs goal? All he had to do was guide a header back to De Gea FFS. Where was his leadership when the back four was ragged and someone needed to organise the situation?

Please stop with the political campaigning. I don't wanna hear anything about Maguire being a good character and all that s-t.

Cassidy

No he didn't mention Maguire by name and Jose wanted Skriniar (who btw he now wants at Spurs)
The fact we ended up signing Maguire after tells you he was a club target

That was the worst defensive performance i've ever see from a Manchester United player. Directly responsible for at least 3 goals, if not more. There is literally nothing good to say about it.

el3mel

It was Maguire. There were several options for CB we went through this summer but Maguire was obviously the top one of them, the rest were Boateng and Toby..etc. We refused to pay 60m for him as we thought it's not worth it. We then had a disastrous season in terms of defense and leaking goals, so we changed our opinion and decided to bring him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
One can't help but think that his idiocy in Greece is contributing, but then again, why would it: there are no fans around to give him banter or pressure over it.

Am really not sure what kind of mindset he was in at start of this game. He is meant to be our defensive rock, organiser, and failsafe; let alone the team captain. But that catalogue of errors for Spurs 1st goal set the mood for the defence he leads for the next 20 minutes. I cant believe he is this shit. Baffling.

Cassidy

It was Maguire. There were several options for CB we went through this summer but Maguire was obviously the top one of them, the rest were Boateng and Toby..etc. We refused to pay 60m for him as we thought it's not worth it. We then had a disastrous season in terms of defense and leaking goals, so we changed our opinion and decided to bring him.
I didn't say we didn't go in for him, Im saying who was Jose target, we already know Jose and the club scouts didn't agree.
Before the summer Jose personally scouted Nicola Milenkovic and was also said to have wanted Skriniar (who we were briefly linked to but Inter told us to do one) and Koulibally later we were then linked with Maguire. He was not Jose first choice but its clear he was a club target since we went back the following summer (after going for Koulibally, and De Ligt)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Absolutely shocking. Probably the biggest flop ever with price, position and credentials taken into consideration. He needs to be out the door next summer. Don't care if we have to take a 60m loss on him, we need a whole new defence.

el3mel

I didn't say we didn't go in for him, Im saying who was Jose target, we already know Jose and the club scouts didn't agree.
Before the summer Jose personally scouted Nicola Milenkovic and was also said to have wanted Skriniar (who we were briefly linked to but Inter told us to do one) and Koulibally later we were then linked with Maguire. He was not Jose first choice but its clear he was a club target since we went back the following summer (after going for Koulibally, and De Ligt)
This was the brief Woodward did after the market ended.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45133827

Nothing about Skriniar. The names mentioned were Maguire, Boateng, Toby and finally Mina. That's what's written about Maguire.

Talks about Maguire never progressed beyond the outline stage because, with no need to sell and secure in the knowledge the England man had four years left on his contract, Leicester were pushing the price upwards, to the level Liverpool paid for Virgil van Dijk.

For a man with no Champions League experience and still relatively new to the Premier League, United did not think entering the market at that level was wise.
We obviously thought he's not worth it back then, no CL experience and money similar to VVD so backed off. Nothing in this indicates the club itself was treating him like a target, but more like we didn't even see he's that worthy to go in a deep negotiation.

The rest mentioned here were Boateng, Toby and Mina as I said, whom can't be anything but plan B, C and D. 2 much older defenders and a sub player at Barca or something. Probably these are the ones who fill in the category of such quote :

As one club source said: "We ended up in a situation where if we had done a deal, we would have been swapping our fifth best central defender for another fifth best central defender."
So I firmly believe the club wasn't interested in bringing Maguire at all but after the disastrous season from defensive perspective we have had, they looked around and though Maguire might be actually the best we can get.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It's baffling because non professionals on this forum pointed out a lot of these weaknesses yet scouts and whomever else was in involved thought he was good enough.
You'll learn that a lot of football is based around "borrowed authority"

I.e. "If they rate him, then he must be good etc"

It's how Ali Dia was signed. George Weah said he was good.

Cassidy

This was the brief Woodward did after the market ended.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45133827

Nothing about Skriniar. The names mentioned were Maguire, Boateng, Toby and finally Mina. That's what's written about Maguire.

We obviously thought he's not worth it back then, no CL experience and money similar to VVD so backed off. Nothing in this indicates the club himself was treating him like a target, but more like we didn't even see he's that worthy to go in a deep negotiation.

The rest mentioned here were Boateng, Toby and Mina as I said, whom can't be anything but plan B, C and D. 2 much older defenders and a sub player at Barca or something. Probably these are the ones who fill in the category of such quote :

So I firmly believe the club wasn't interested in bringing Maguire at all after the disastrous season from defensive perspective we have had, they looked around and though Maguire might be actually the best we can get.
And then paid 80m for him 12 months later? No this was a brief by Woodward to save face and cover his arse

R'hllor

Putting aside his price or his performances, being awful or world class, only one thing buffles me, is Ole giving him a captains armband. He did feck all for the club to earn it, i mean, looking at the past and what some defenders had to do, to win first before they could even get a sniff for it, what the actual feck, worst part Ole gave him, he should understand more than anyone else.

Anustart89

After Brighton, I criticized his supposed leadership due to him falling down on his knees after conceding the equaliser.

Every response I got was basically telling me I was an idiot who hated Maguire and that made me see stuff that wasn't there, and that he was a great captain because he appealed for the penalty. I wonder if those people are calling him a great leader now because he appealed for a foul on Shaw for the equaliser?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Putting aside his price or his performances, being awful or world class, only one thing buffles me, is Ole giving him a captains armband. He did feck all for the club to earn it, i mean, looking at the past and what some defenders had to do, to win first before they could even get a sniff for it, what the actual feck, worst part Ole gave him, he should understand more than anyone else.
Yeah. He gave it on merits he achieved at an entirely different level, but I get Ole he wanted to build something solid quickly and starting with the backline, having a CB coming in for 80m he should be able to step right into the team as a captain. It's a risk, but it's a sink or swim situation.. sadly for us Maguire just froze.

Horrible game. Has been atrocious lately.

Bojan11

One can't help but think that his idiocy in Greece is contributing, but then again, why would it: there are no fans around to give him banter or pressure over it.

Am really not sure what kind of mindset he was in at start of this game. He is meant to be our defensive rock, organiser, and failsafe; let alone the team captain. But that catalogue of errors for Spurs 1st goal set the mood for the defence he leads for the next 20 minutes. I cant believe he is this shit. Baffling.
Koulibali was touted around for £80m. Varane would cost similar. Such high cost players have to perform on the big stage, or at least be faultless.

But watching these super elite centre backs in last 24 hours, it’s very clear that Maguire and Lindelöf are far better at actual defending than many of our fans give them credit. The bullcrap agenda against them has to stop.

neither is natural as ball playing defenders, such as Rio, VVD or Kompany, but we have only just started playing that way and i think they will both dramatically improve on this next season.
You sure you have not got a bullcrap agenda against him?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Woodward did that on the say so off a club scout who some believe was Marcel Bout. But the structure at the club is such that the manager has led the recruitment and Ole in tandem with Phelan went ahead and signed Maguire. The scouts have had little say on the direction of recruitment and until that changes repeat offences are highly likely. Our scouts work to a strategy for the academy and all players bought are ones that fit the profile.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You sure you have not got a bullcrap agenda against him?
Not at all. He has been very good for us many times. Today he was also abhorrent.

It happens. Like it did to many defenders in European semi finals a few weeks ago.

AFC NimbleThumb

First goal was stupid, but the second goal was also amateur. He fouled Kane, he just stepped away to allow Kane to take the freekick. What the hell? Even at lowest level of competition football, coaches would have taught you to keep your opponent to take a quick free kick. Wait until someone come to take your place before heading back to your position.

People would talk about later mistakes of other players, but these 2 big mistakes lost us the game from comfortable position. You would expect more from your captain, and most expensive defender in the world.
Key point in bold.

Our supposed leader & Whatsapp Admin was the catalyst in the demise.

Yes other players played terribly but as our captain mistakes like those are unforgivable.

Ashish Negi

Does he get brain fart? Why he tackles/pull his own team mates while defending ?

poleglass red

Terrible performance. It's a pity hes not french as u can play like shite for months n get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.