Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracture90

Honestly the fact that we paid £80.000.000 for him should be a good indicator that the higher echelons at our club are smoking crack.

DoomSlayer

I'm still livid. There is no turning back for Maguire in my books. One of the worst games I've ever seen from a football player, let alone someone from our club.

Brandon Williams would have probably been better at CB than this guy. :houllier:

Viral United

He's head is still on holiday.
His error(s) for first goal is beyond explanation, even Sunday league defender could have done better.

Craig Ward

I was absolutely slated last season when I critiqued Maguire and said he should be the one replaced as well as Lindelof/Bailly.

The man is a disaster. He cannot defend one v one, he isn't aerially dominant defensively or attacking, he cant read the game. Struggling to get the hype.

In a fully functioning solid defence he would look alright, but that's not what we signed him for.

He's never looked as good for us as he did with Leicester, perhaps it's the mentality of stepping up to a bigger club that's held him back.

What I did like about Maguire last season was that although he's no world beating defender - his organisation and communication made us a better unit at the back. We didn't seem to be as isolated 1v1 as much as we are at the start of this season and that's got to be mostly down to communication.

The transfer fee reeked and it's showing now. We paid 80Mil for what we thought was a world class CB who would lead us to the glory days. We've basically signed a mid table CB who needs a better CB alongside him to make him look half decent. Our club is a shambles.

Same with Pogba - world record transfer fee for him to "lead" our midfield and transform our style of play. We sign players wanting them to be something that they are not capable of.

Trouble is - Maguire is club captain. Ole never drops him and Lindelof is garbage and Bailly doesn't seem to have Ole's trust for a run of games. God knows what's happening to Tuanzebe.

We had a big chance in the transfer window to sign a top tier CB and we've let it pass. Only got ourselves to blame at this point - The club has no clue

Sylar

I think the second goal was worse than the first. The first was a shambles as it was, with the initial header which hit Bailly, and then the follow up, and then charging across when Shaw was there and then not being in a position to block the shot.
But the second is just so so bad. Hes given a freekick away, and he allows that free kick to get through when hes out of position (and hes meant to be one of the last men back). I just dont understand how he lets that happen.

I really thought when we got him he would grow into the role of a captain and leader, and be able to organise things. But it looks like he shys away from stuff. It just doesnt make sense. I thought he would be more vocal, and his lack of pace would be compensated by his reading of the game, and leadership. But we arent getting any of that.

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania
Your 2 best CBs is Smalling and Lindelof, there I sayd it.

Let me explain, all of your cbs have weaknesses, but the only 2 that understand defending is smalling and lindelof.

Smalling and Lindelof reads the game good, know when to press, when to fall back and where to be.

I'm sure Lindelof know most of the time what is needed but his athleticism fails him to do what is needed.

Maguire and Bailly on the other hand dont understand the basic of defending, they dont cover each other, they dont know when to push and when to fall back.
It's like watching 2 mad dogs chasing everything that get into the penalty box.
Dragging the defences left and right to chase who ever is closes to them.
And Maguire doesn't really know he's own limits, hes slow and bad in 1on1, and still goes in hard in 1on1 instead of shielding and drop back.

Eurotrash

The first goal was perhaps the most bizarre piece of "defending" I've seen at this level. First the weak header and then wrestling away his team-mate (Shaw) to try and get to the ball.

Truly baffling. Something is not right with him at the moment.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The 10 seconds where he lost the ball, tried to head it back to De Gea & failed, then fouled his own player who was trying to clear the ball, giving Ndombele a tap in, was one of the worst pieces of defending in Premier League history. Maguire will be on blooper reels for years to come.

MadMike

He's in absolutely diabolical form at the moment. His mistakes are so glaring that it's almost like he's playing for the opposition and we start games 10 vs 12.

He needs to sit on the bench a bit until he clears his head. It's damaging to play him atm.

A-man

Your 2 best CBs is Smalling and Lindelof, there I sayd it.

Let me explain, all of your cbs have weaknesses, but the only 2 that understand defending is smalling and lindelof.

Smalling and Lindelof reads the game good, know when to press, when to fall back and where to be.

I'm sure Lindelof know most of the time what is needed but his athleticism fails him to do what is needed.

Maguire and Bailly on the other hand dont understand the basic of defending, they dont cover each other, they dont know when to push and when to fall back.
It's like watching 2 mad dogs chasing everything that get into the penalty box.
Dragging the defences left and right to chase who ever is closes to them.
And Maguire doesn't really know he's own limits, hes slow and bad in 1on1, and still goes in hard in 1on1 instead of shielding and drop back.
I personally don't think Smalling is the answer, but I agree with what you write to some extent. Smalling and Lindelof are both proper schooled, they do what they should most of the time, they can cooperate as a unit and can follow tactics. As you wrote; they know the basics. When something goes wrong, they make fast decisions to make the best of a situation instead of panicking and wrestle down a team mate.

I have always thought that Bailly has some individual talents but is not proper schooled, and doesn't have the basics. With Maguire I thought it was his role in the team, that he is allowed to attack the ball all over the pitch and the other CB has to clean up behind him. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is down to poor decision making.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If only he visited some english seaside town instead of Greece during his holiday...
Instead, he went to Greece came back a broken man and we don't have Jose anymore to tell him what to do as a broken man.

Shark

@NotShark
The first goal was perhaps the most bizarre piece of "defending" I've seen at this level. First the weak header and then wrestling away his team-mate (Shaw) to try and get to the ball.

Which begs the question, why is he being selected by our manager and coaching staff? I find it very hard to believe he's been anything close to solid in training either.

GenZRed

Lindelof isn't great but now that he didn't play and we still conceded silly goals I think a lot of people have woken up to how flawed of a defender he is, instead of putting it all on Lindelof.

TsuWave

I hope reports of Bruno telling this guy he’s a bum are true

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I hope reports of Bruno telling this guy he’s a bum are true
For me, if its true Bruno was subbed because Ole wanted to protect 'Harry' then we're f'd us a club. Bruno is much more important to Man Utd than Maguire ever will be.

The only reason Maguire is important is because he keeps making important mistakes that f-k us. Lindelof gets it, Bailly get it, why should Maguire be immune to criticism?

'Aerially dominant' centre back who can't even nod a ball back to a keeper with composure. :rolleyes:

Comes charging out after Kane, done by the quick free kick and left in no man's land.

Leader. Organiser. Its all BS. Look at Spurs' goals! Man has better PR than a Hollywood actor.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Leader, mate. Leader. Constantly reading it in the media. 'Brought in as a leader.' :rolleyes:

So much leadership he decided to grab Shaw and lead him away from Ndombele for Spurs' first goal! :lol::lol:

mu4c_20le

He always stays far away from confrontations, that's why I was so surprised when he made such a big fuss out of the handball last time. When Cavani comes, he'll dominate him in the dressing room.

What is it with him always fouling his own player all the time? First he headbutted Bailly now hes dragging Shaw down. Doesnt he know who his teammates are??

bsCallout

Why does he never face the media?

He puts in performances like that and we send out players, like McT that actually show the desire, to speak to press.

I REALLY hope Ole doesn't deem him undroppable. He is the last player I want to see on that pitch now.

Get Mengi and Henderson in there!!

Glad we have some characters like Bruno, Scott & now Cavani in the dressing rooms.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What is it with him always fouling his own player all the time? First he headbutted Bailly now hes dragging Shaw down. Doesnt he know who his teammates are??
Must have drunk something not good in Greece. He was not spectacular last season but my god, this season he's been playing like a drunken kung fu master.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Leader, mate. Leader. Constantly reading it in the media. 'Brought in as a leader.' :rolleyes:

So much leadership he decided to grab Shaw and lead him away from Ndombele for Spurs' first goal! :lol::lol:
Leader on the pitch... not.
Leader of the dressing room... not.
Leader off the pitch... not.
Admin of Whatsapp Group - YES.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

The header was so needless too

AC1689

The most concerning issue regarding Maguire is how blatantly obvious it is that his head isn’t in the game right now, but Ole isn’t dropping him and resting him (both physically and mentally).

All it does is serve to be detrimental to both the player and the team. I will get slated for saying it, but it really is piss poor man management.

predator

Youth NITK
I think we are stuck with him though. No chance we are recouping over 50% of his fee and his wages will be hard to match for lower down clubs. He is still a big name player, england international and gives the talk and the club probably will not want to look daft in selling a player so soon after they broke the bank for them.

Cant see anyway out of this which would benefit both parties until contract is over.

TsuWave

For me, if its true Bruno was subbed because Ole wanted to protect 'Harry' then we're f'd us a club. Bruno is much more important to Man Utd than Maguire ever will be.
I genuinely hope Bruno told him how shite he is. If Ole is indeed trying to protect Maguire that won’t fly for long. Bruno had an impact on our season and is a fan favorite

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We spent 80 mil on this joke of defender. 80 mil for defender who is not even better than what we have.
I thought that he is solid defender but he is not. He is average defender. If i was owner of this club i would sack everyone who sanctioned that deal.

MattyB1986

I think the hype of the world cup and things caused an inflation of what this fridge is actually worth. He's never been worth 80M, we could have got him for 60M the year before and the losses wouldn't have been so bad. We need another CB that much is obvious, we may need 2. Our waste at CB has been shocking.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He will come good. I can promise you this. I've seen Maguire at Leicester and he was not this bad. This tells me that he isn't his normal self. Getting beaten for pace is one thing but the way he's performing now is mind blowing. It has to be a blip and I believe it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.