Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

Needs dropping

Don’t care if he costs £30m or £80m he’s not been good enough. Chelsea dropped Kepa after a huge fee was paid and Pepe starts on the bench at Arsenal regular enough.

The Greece stuff didn’t help, some time out of the spotlight will do him good.

Trophy Room

Just needs to be taken out of the limelight I think. It was a poor decision by Ole to give him the armband so soon after he was bought to the club. Just let him focus on his football for now.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Why didn't do the protest himself? He's the captain.

We all saw him was not in the midst to protest at all. Now he's backing the ref outloud. How about "Let me handle it?"
I think he's trying to calm Rashford down by telling him to get on with it as there's nothing they can do as VAR checked it and the review is over but he has to understand that he's the only player that can talk to the referee. He's simply not captain material. I wasn't saying he was in the right.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
No he wasn't. Rashy was more puzzled rather than he was protesting the card. He was the one who saw the entire episode unfold right in front of his eyes, he should have shown a bit of leadership and courage to defend his team-mate.
I agree with that. I think at that point he was more concerned with Rashford potentially being booked and himself. He's not a captain never has acted like one for us.

Rajma

I was trying to warn everyone on this board that anyone who watched Leicester for more than a handful of games a season could tell you he wasn’t worth more than 30m. but got shouted down here quickly. If Ole has any self respect he should make Bruno a captain a ditch this guy sharpish.

He'sRaldo

Looking more and more to be Ole's version of Lukaku.

Last edited:

ti vu

I think he's trying to calm Rashford down by telling him to get on with it as there's nothing they can do as VAR checked it and the review is over but he has to understand that he's the only player that can talk to the referee. He's simply not captain material. I wasn't saying he was in the right.
Like I said, Maguire was not up to it to do captain duty. He just watched from afar instead jumping into the midst at first sight.

Had he done his job, and asked them to let him talk to the ref, even though it wouldn't the change the outcome, it's better for the team morale.

Here he didn't do anything, but backing the ref against eye witnesses. The way he spoke, it's like saying "you're lying Rashford". Rashford avoiding the booking, but he and other players lost his mind with this incident. The Bruno rumor is scary. Some of players were just reckless after, as if playing to get sent off. Shaw, Bailly are prime suspects.

Last edited:

Artorias

I was trying to warn everyone on this board that anyone who watched Leicester for more than a handful of games a season could tell you he wasn’t worth more than 30m. but got shouted down here quickly. If Ole has any self respect he should make Bruno a captain a ditch this guy sharpish.
Agree, he's no captain material to be honest. Worst buy than Pogba in my opinion. I would glady keept "Mike" rather than this championship-level player.

Rajma

Agree, he's no captain material to be honest. Worst buy than Pogba in my opinion. I would glady keept "Mike" rather than this championship-level player.
Same, even though I’m not fond of Smalling I was always adamant about keeping him as he’s good raw defender with pace too which you cannot tell about any of our current CBs.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

Noz can feck off here. It’s the role of the captain to lead and control his players and Maguire handled it well. They checked it, nothing can be done, Rashford shouting could’ve got him a yellow. For how shit he was I think he actually handled that well.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
feck him, such a pussy. Rio would have gone right over there and chest bumped the ref and yell at him at the top of his Lungs.. Maguire needs to go to Roma and Smalling needs his spot back

Lennon7

feck him, such a pussy. Rio would have gone right over there and chest bumped the ref and yell at him at the top of his Lungs.. Maguire needs to go to Roma and Smalling needs his spot back
Maybe, but in this example he handled it well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Noz can feck off here. It’s the role of the captain to lead and control his players and Maguire handled it well. They checked it, nothing can be done, Rashford shouting could’ve got him a yellow. For how shit he was I think he actually handled that well.
Yeah, agreed. When did anything positive ever come out of shouting at a ref after a decision’s gone against us?

EDIT: Although I think Noz is joking? Hence the Greek comment?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Harry's at an important point in his career. All upward trajectory up to this point but it could go either way from here. He's certainly part of the problem for us at the moment. Remains to be seen if he can shake himself and be part of the solution.

Remember the geese

What's all this 'he prevented Rashford from getting a yellow' rubbish? Who cares! He should have been more preoccupied with preventing Spurs from scoring goals. What type of leader wilts and accepts injustice instead of backing his teammate? He could at least give the impression he's a bit bothered by the joke officiating.

Lennon7

Yeah, agreed. When did anything positive ever come out of shouting at a ref after a decision’s gone against us?

EDIT: Although I think Noz is joking? Hence the Greek comment?
Suppose so, but the points there and has got a load of comments in response. Anyway, just used it to voice my opinion on it because it was spoken about in another thread too! Players seem to get slated for everything they do when the fans are agains them. He's been shite but nothing wrong there imo

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s an easy call for Ole now. An opportunity to show some leadership. If he leaves this clown in the team he will lose the dressing room. He and Pogba should be “ozil-ed” with immediate effect.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Suppose so, but the points there and has got a load of comments in response. Anyway, just used it to voice my opinion on it because it was spoken about in another thread too! Players seem to get slated for everything they do when the fans are agains them. He's been shite but nothing wrong there imo
Ah. Ok. Yours was the first post I saw about that clip. Bit fecking stupid to get annoyed by that but not unexpected. When a player’s having a shocker people get wound up by the most trivial stuff. I saw a post the other day from someone who seemed furious about what Pogba’s been wearing on his arm.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Would be interesting to see what Maguire did after that? I’m not that keen to watch much of that game again!

However, The ref was incredibly quick to whip out the card, it’s not as it he had time to react in the moment of that photo. I’m not defending his performance, but one photo doesn’t evaluate his captaincy.
He approached the ref after that and a had what looked like a timid word and then end up behind the ref again as it was all going on. Keane May have been over the top In that pic for these days standards but Maguire is far too far the other way

Lennon7

Ah. Ok. Yours was the first post I saw about that clip. Bit fecking stupid to get annoyed by that but not unexpected. When a player’s having a shocker people get wound up by the most trivial stuff. I saw a post the other day from someone who seemed furious about what Pogba’s been wearing on his arm.
fecking hell yeah! That's exactly what I mean mate. Maguire does need looking at but the red mist on twitter and the caf is bonkers

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
fecking hell yeah! That's exactly what I mean mate. Maguire does need looking at but the red mist on twitter and the caf is bonkers
He may have been in the right to calm rashford down but it all just seems wrong. And I’m not saying that just because I’m not keen on him, as you put in your previous post.
He strolls over to the incident, quick ear wig of what’s going on and seems to be talking with the attitude of not believing rashford, get and question the ref, tell him he’s missed the elbow, pressure for VAR, put doubt into the refs head, try and gain some advantage, not just suck up what was said (we all know how shocking some decisions have been, surely the players do) and agree with a ref and start berating your own player when he sounds so shocked and has seen what’s gone on, I don’t know I just don’t like the timidness of him as a captain

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Explains why Bruno went in on him in the dressing room at half time.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Our 'captain' choosing not to defend the teams interests during open play as well as during extracurricular activity...
This is depressing to watch. From Roy Keane to Captain Snowflake :annoyed:

flappyjay

You will find that a fair amount of us were with you on that transfer. If we could see all these limitations how could our transfer board think he was good enough? I feel like they are just a bunch of transfer Muppets looking for the next big transfer

Cloud7

It’s mental how that I almost dislike him as much as I do Victor Lindelof.
Yeah. I dislike Lindelof for his footballing qualities, but now I dislike Maguire for his on field personality. No balls whatsoever. No balls in his defending. No balls in his captaincy.

Cloud7

Just needs to be taken out of the limelight I think. It was a poor decision by Ole to give him the armband so soon after he was bought to the club. Just let him focus on his football for now.
I think a lot of people looked at Maguire and thought he was Ferdinand regen; English CB, known for being 'good on the ball', decent international performances, coming to United as a record transfer for a defender from a smaller club. Looking at it like that, perhaps it was thought that he would be able to show some of the leadership Rio showed as well. Except Maguire is worse in every possible department, which isn't his fault really. He should have been properly assessed before we shelled out a world record fee for him.

I don't think he's a bad player, but he's certainly not one of the best around, and definitely not worth what we paid for him. It's not his fault either that we paid that much for him, but it will be used to say 'well, couldn't this massive sum have been used on someone else?' His best quality is that he's literally always fit and available, which is something we haven't had in our CB's for almost a decade.

cedara

Yeah. I dislike Lindelof for his footballing qualities, but now I dislike Maguire for his on field personality. No balls whatsoever. No balls in his defending. No balls in his captaincy.
Nah, He has balls, but they were stayed Greece last summer. Both his performance and captaincy on the pitch last 3 games were a joke for this club and the arm band.

Another joke was when Ole punished Bruno when he said this guy doesn't fit the shirt. I was shocked since Ole used to be played in a period which Utd has characters like Kean and Schmeichel.

Classical Mechanic

What's the actual full context of the incident? It's entirely likely that like most of us he had no clue as to what had gone on exactly. It seems that he's relaying to Rashford what the ref had told him on the video.

Screaming to the ref a la Keane circa 2001 gets you sent off these days.

This thread is sadly toxic. Horrible start to the season for Maguire (like the whole team pretty much) but he absolutely deserves a chance to get it together (like everyone else).

CG1010

He has been bad in the last few games but what's the point this video is trying to prove? Its like kicking the man when he is down.
You know you wouldn't have that many instances of Lindelof getting skinned because he doesn't commit himself. Maguire does and he is bound to fail often in some contests. You could equally make a similar highlights video of the times he succeeds to conclude that he is a great CB. But the reality is that its a defensive unit and if he is going in with a high risk challenge somebody else should cover it.

Highfather_24

Should be stripped off captaincy, because he is a wimp. Cant stand for the team.

Give it to Bruno. Atleast he had some passion for the game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Maguire is literally doing nothing wrong? He's talking with Rashford and he says they've not deemed it violent conduct.

It's not his decision not to send Martial off FFS :lol: why are people blaming him?

Do people just read the caption and think it's his fault or do they actually listen to what's being said? scape goating him for no reason is a bit sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.