Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretender

Referees are influenced all the time, it's human nature. We used to be masters at this. I'm not saying he has to be an inch from his face screaming at the top of his lungs but you can definitely pressure them into making decisions they are on the fence about. We are one of the 'nicest' teams in the league currently and that's partly why we roll over so easily under pressure. None of the players have any fight in them, Maguire included.
Its annoying that we are too nice. You don't get anything in football for being nice.

Its why I don't like Ole. He passes on that nice person mentality to the players.

Mourinho recently said in the Spurs documentary that the Spurs players must be nasty. It works.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
@jb8521 makes the excellent point on Twitter that this is a classic example of opinions on everything our club and players do are twisted by whether things are going well or not. If Maguire had been in good form, played well in this match and we’d got a result with 10 men, the exact same footage would be getting shared on social media with a completely different narrative.

Look at the way our captain is taking control of the situation. The decision has already been made so he’s calming down our younger players, making sure nobody else gets sent off, trying to keep their head in the game. That’s the sort of composure and leadership we’ve been missing for years blah blah blah.

Because he had a shocker and the team was humiliated the narrative is about him being far too meek and how if only he’d lost his head and got in the referee’s face, screaming and shouting, the decision would have probably been reversed.

Which is a hell of a lot more of a stretch than the alternative version above but this is the version that fans are insisting on going with because it helps them deal with the disappointment to find someone to abuse and blame for their own upset.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There is a reason some teams get 50/50 decisions and we don't. Our captain is too passive, whereas other captains will be in the ref's ear all game, contesting decisions. Look at Rashford's reaction compare to Maguire. I don't like saying this but as a captain you have to put pressure on the ref, this is the game unfortunately.
Don't think we can complain about getting 50/50 decisions not going our way. We had record setting amounts of penalties given to us the last 2 seasons. We're bound for a regression in terms of big decisions.

romufc

Don't think we can complain about getting 50/50 decisions not going our way. We had record setting amounts of penalties given to us the last 2 seasons. We're bound for a regression in terms of big decisions.
Out of the record number of penalties, which ones weren't penalties?

The only ones I can think of are Dan James at Norwich and Bruno at Villa.

@jb8521 makes the excellent point on Twitter that this is a classic example of opinions on everything our club and players do are twisted by whether things are going well or not. If Maguire had been in good form, played well in this match and we’d got a result with 10 men, the exact same footage would be getting shared on social media with a completely different narrative.

Look at the way our captain is taking control of the situation. The decision has already been made so he’s calming down our younger players, making sure nobody else gets sent off, trying to keep their head in the game. That’s the sort of composure and leadership we’ve been missing for years blah blah blah.

Because he had a shocker and the team was humiliated the narrative is about him being far too meek and how if only he’d lost his head and got in the referee’s face, screaming and shouting, the decision would have probably been reversed.

Which is a hell of a lot more of a stretch than the alternative version above but this is the version that fans are insisting on going with because it helps them deal with the disappointment to find someone to abuse and blame for their own upset.

Great post.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Out of the record number of penalties, which ones weren't penalties?

The only ones I can think of are Dan James at Norwich and Bruno at Villa.
Not the point. Other clubs get loads of probable pens missed. Or look at that Chelsea game in February. Their q goal disallowed when it can be argued that Fred nudged their player into Brandon Williams causing him to fall. Or Maguire not getting a red that game when Son very recently before that got a red for a much softer tackle in a similar vein.

Every club goes through periods of good and bad decisions and it evens out over time. For example, last season we were given 14 penalties in the league and conceded 3 all season. This season we are at 2 given/3 conceded already.

Foxbatt

Yes spot on. He had a bad game. He was playing with Bailly who is a loose cannon all by himself. I think he was more worried about Rashford saying something and getting sent off and that would mean two players down.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Yes spot on. He had a bad game. He was playing with Bailly who is a loose cannon all by himself. I think he was more worried about Rashford saying something and getting sent off and that would mean two players down.
The lose cannon was Maguire, Bailly on his own made less mistakes than the captain. Why make excuses for certain players while trying to throw other under the bus.

To the bolded, nah he is what you call a teacher's pet, like Henderson, Kane and Dier never willing to defend certain players against the referee but acting like they do. He is an imposter who has no right to have come from relegation battles to be captaining this club, after less than a year. Ole is definitely seeing the results of a couple of his full season decisions that made no sense.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

People have been talking about Maguire not being up to standards for at least a year now but were completely shutdown by his fanboys on this forum.
It was either Lindelof or De Gea. Never Maguire's fault -> NEVER
-He buckles under pressure when in possesion - especially when we play from the back. Has gifted the ball to the opponent numerous times due to it.
-Can't head the ball to save his life - we wasted numerous chances cause he can't direct the ball at the goal.
-Is slow like a snail - we conceded numerous goals cause of this and everyone blamed either De Gea or Lindelof (Bournemuth, Norwich, Spurs...)
-Consistency issues - he makes mistakes in almost every match he plays.
-Abysmal in 1v1 situations - been dribbled numerous times - in a lot of cases in a humiliating fashion
We were scammed in the same way as we were with Lukaku

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
People have been talking about Maguire not being up to standards for at least a year now but were completely shutdown by his fanboys on this forum.
It was either Lindelof or De Gea. Never Maguire's fault -> NEVER
-He buckles under pressure when in possesion - especially when we play from the back. Has gifted the ball to the opponent numerous times due to it.
-Can't head the ball to save his life - we wasted numerous chances cause he can't direct the ball at the goal.
-Is slow like a snail - we conceded numerous goals cause of this and everyone blamed either De Gea or Lindelof (Bournemuth, Norwich, Spurs...)
-Consistency issues - he makes mistakes in almost every match he plays.
-Abysmal in 1v1 situations - been dribbled numerous times - in a lot of cases in a humiliating fashion
We were scammed in the same way as we were with Lukaku
Stopped reading at “fanboys”...

Foxbatt

Stopped reading at “fanboys”...
Agree with you on this. We get a slow coach and then play a high defence line. If you get a slow coach for that amount of money then play to his strengths. As for his heading try to get us to take a different variety of corner. Every Tom Dick and Harry knows that we always take a corner for Maguire to head it at the far post. All defend that.
That is not to say that he does not make mistakes. Of course he does but he is a much better defender than Bailly every was.

Foxbatt

The lose cannon was Maguire, Bailly on his own made less mistakes than the captain. Why make excuses for certain players while trying to throw other under the bus.

To the bolded, nah he is what you call a teacher's pet, like Henderson, Kane and Dier never willing to defend certain players against the referee but acting like they do. He is an imposter who has no right to have come from relegation battles to be captaining this club, after less than a year. Ole is definitely seeing the results of a couple of his full season decisions that made no sense.
Don't be ruddy ridiculous. I see that you are a new member here. Maguire is a much defender than Bailly ever was. Yes he had a mare against Spurs.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Indeed nothing new. I had someone before to calm me down and told me to move on before because decision has been made so let’s remain focus. Surely lot of people who acted like they know about football should have experienced such thing when they play in Sunday league.

Kostov

Oh come on, I've fought his corner many times on here and generally rate him as a very good CB. However that was appalling conduct as a captain on Sunday. Do you lot actually think Sergio Ramos believes all his teammates when they put pressure on the referee and he joins them and leads on the front or Roy Keane before him? No they don't but will go the extra mile to get advantage for their teams and sometimes get their justice. They use their authority to get what they want while our captain stays there numb watching how we fall a man behind and lose the fecking match on the spot. No excuses really, that's not the hunger this club needs, that's not the leader this team needs. Use your name and status in the game, anyone thinking about how it's "irrelevant" once the decision is made are having a laugh.

Take a look at last season goals against Everton at home when DCL fouled blatantly DDG and the goal was left to stand while DDG and everyone else stood there like doing feck all. Compare that to the goal Liverpool scored while fouling DDG and how he reacted, the goal was disallowed.

Last edited:

GifLord

Yeah i don't think Maguire has any fanboys here. Martial FC, Pogba yes but not Harry Maguire
Clearly not now since they've gone into hiding but last year there were a ton of people supporting him thinking he was the second coming of Ferdinand.

tob

If you actually watch the full incident he's does come over and get in the refs ear. The video posted on here only shows the aftermath after the decision has been made.

What do you want him to do after the decision has been made exactly?
This is the first time I've seen the incident, and I'm furious! How is that even a red card? Lamelas elbow is more red than Martials little flick. I was under the impression Martial had actually elbowed him, but then I see this! How come VAR didn't pick this up?! F-ing hell. That's just sickening from Lamela. What a piece of shit personality. Elbows someone in the face, then gets a flick on the chin and he goes down like he's been knocked out.

GifLord

Rating a player is fan boying?
Not rating him but giving him a free pass. Maguire's been making mistakes ever since he signed for us. Yet people either ignored them or blamed others for it.
I've seen people blame De Gea for the goal vs Spurs when Maguire got roasted by Bergwijn or when he got nutmegged vs Bournemouth in our box and they scored.
He's just not good enough

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Not rating him but giving him a free pass. Maguire's been making mistakes ever since he signed for us. Yet people either ignored them or blamed others for it.
I've seen people blame De Gea for the goal vs Spurs when Maguire got roasted by Bergwijn or when he got nutmegged vs Bournemouth in our box and they scored.
Every defender makes mistakes. Right now there's a 30 second bullshit clip going about regarding Maguire that you can frame for almost any defender but no, it's targetting maguire instead.

starman

Its humiliating, but does it make that much of a difference to you if he just went around him? Ben White (who a number of top clubs are interested in) got put down on his pants by Rashford, twice, and scored, is he finished as a player?

Kostov

I'm not joking go read his performance thread from last season. Every time he made a mistake he was given a free pass
Given a free pass? As far as I remember there was always some of you there to put some blame on him regardless of who fecked up on different goals conceded. I know now after Maguire having a mare on Sunday is a great day to come here and shout bullshit about "fanboys" and what not, but I can hardly remember him getting a free pass. He was dreadful and shocking in the last match, more so as captain, but let's not rewrite history here. I've defended him many times and have no problem to criticize him when he shits the bed.

Foxbatt

Given a free pass? As far as I remember there was always some of you there to put some blame on him regardless of who fecked up on different goals conceded. I know now after Maguire having a mare on Sunday is a great day to come here and shout bullshit about "fanboys" and what not, but I can hardly remember him getting a free pass. He was dreadful and shocking in the last match, more so as captain, but let's not rewrite history here. I've defended him many times and have no problem to criticize him when he shits the bed.
It was really comical defending against Spurs. But a lot of times, when Bailly is involved it is comical too. He is an all action type of guy and I really enjoy when he plays because you never know what he is going to do next and as someone else said he himself does not know what he is going to do. It was comical now to see Maguire head the ball against Bailly's head and then for him to pull down Shaw who was about to clear the ball. It reminded me of Pepe Rena grabbing the bald head of Andy Johnson in a Liverpool vs Everton match. He thought it was the ball.

Kostov

It was really comical defending against Spurs. But a lot of times, when Bailly is involved it is comical too. He is an all action type of guy and I really enjoy when he plays because you never know what he is going to do next and as someone else said he himself does not know what he is going to do. It was comical now to see Maguire head the ball against Bailly's head and then for him to pull down Shaw who was about to clear the ball. It reminded me of Pepe Rena grabbing the bald head of Andy Johnson in a Liverpool vs Everton match. He thought it was the ball.
No need to throw Bailly into this, Maguire had a shocker and the whole team was pretty bad from what I saw. That first goal mentally threw us on the ground, and as you say it was comical from Maguire and as captain to do that. It was all downwards from there. I turned the TV off after the 3rd goal to be fair and didn't watch nor I can bare to watch the "highlights". I just had enough.

Foxbatt

No need to throw Bailly into this, Maguire had a shocker and the whole team was pretty bad from what I saw. That first goal mentally threw us on the ground, and as you say it was comical from Maguire and as captain to do that. It was all downwards from there. I turned the TV off after the 3rd goal to be fair and didn't watch nor I can bare to watch the "highlights". I just had enough.
One all we may have been able to get out of it. 1-2 and especially with a man down it was impossible. This is why I say their 2nd goal was crucial.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Bailly was guilty for the second and third goals, and the first one he could have cleared the ball to safety instead of heading it back towards the penalty zone (Okay Maguire made initially the mistake but Bailly played it back again to him)
Second goal: Maguire fouls Kane, Bailly goes sleeping for 1 second, Son beats him, goes through on goal, scores.
Third goal: De Gea plays the ball to Bailly, Bailly makes a meal out of it and misplaces a pass to Matic, pass is cut, then bailly fails with the second tackle, two passes, Kane scores.
Fourth Goal: Shaw is in the middle (not covering his side) Maguire goes out of the box to cover the player, Shaw instead of covering the near post (Maguire's position) he goes out of the penalty box, leaving Son open to shoot and score
Fifth Goal: Shaw is closing down Lucas, Lucas goes towards the middle, Shaw follows, leaving space behind, Aurier makes the run, Pogba is caught napping, Aurier continues his run and scores.

The whole defense was shambolic not just Maguire and the midfield failed to cover the defenders properly.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Don't be ruddy ridiculous. I see that you are a new member here. Maguire is a much defender than Bailly ever was. Yes he had a mare against Spurs.
What does being a new member have to do with being right or wrong.

Maguire does not have half the defensive ability Bailly has, his only saving grace was his calmness but even that is gone now.

He is nothing but an average defender, Lindelof is better as well.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He should be benched until he find his form back.
I am not sure on current form he is any better than Jones, I mean Jones was shite, but was never that shite.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
What does being a new member have to do with being right or wrong.

Maguire does not half the defensive ability Bailly has, his only saving grace was his calmness but even that is gone now.

He is nothing but an average defender, Lindelof is better as well.
How is Lindelof better? He's weak in the air and gets shoved off the ball easily.

Maguire is a good decent-ish defender, who is worth nowhere near £80m based on ability alone. Transfer fees are subjective, and it can be argued that we paid a premium price because of who we are, his nationality and how desperate Leicester knew we were. I don't worry about the transfer fee too much to be honest.

I worry about his pace to be honest. He didn't make too many silly mistakes prior to Spurs but it's constantly been shown that he's slow af and teams can exploit that.

Marcus

For the last game, I think there was a bit of rust between a fresh CB pairing. Of course the instinct and understanding is not there yet. I don't know whether it is best to persist or switch it around again. I hope Maguire plays for England to get more minutes and hopefully the previous games for United out of his system.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Seems just as much a waste of money as Pogba until now. Hope he can be at least reliable grade, which till now he is not.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Not a captain and not a leader. Martial gets sent off and he's nowhere to be seen. Doesn't defend his player and ask why lamela isn't sent off. Shouldn't matter who's right and who's wrong, defend your team mates no matter what. He needs dropped as captain and from the team, he's a good defender and just needs to get his head sorted out. The level of defending against spurs was shambolic, him alone cost us 4 of the goals.

sugar_kane

Wasn't it barely a week ago when people were praising him for hounding the ref into giving us the penalty at Brighton?

He saw that one with his own eyes - he doesn't see this one happen based on the replay so probably didn't even know what had happened.

romufc

Name me 1 player in the starting 11 that has made 0 mistakes since the start of last season?

You really need to go on matchday threads. Maguire has been blamed / called out on for alot of his mistakes.

De Gea got blamed because he made a mistake too, alot of people blamed Maguire as well. Just because one player makes a mistake, another players mistake should not be forgotten either.

GifLord

Name me 1 player in the starting 11 that has made 0 mistakes since the start of last season?

You really need to go on matchday threads. Maguire has been blamed / called out on for alot of his mistakes.

De Gea got blamed because he made a mistake too, alot of people blamed Maguire as well. Just because one player makes a mistake, another players mistake should not be forgotten either.
Maguire's been making them since he came here. People were coming out with stats to prove how good he is and comparing him to vvd. Well stats don't show the full picture of how good a player is. You don't see how mobile the player is, what kind of a first touch he has, how good he is on the ball, how well he positiones himself, his tactical awareness...

Status
Not open for further replies.