Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Maguire is literally doing nothing wrong? He's talking with Rashford and he says they've not deemed it violent conduct.

It's not his decision not to send Martial off FFS :lol: why are people blaming him?
There's not a single captain worth his salt that would remain this silent to a referee over a farcical decision.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maguire is literally doing nothing wrong? He's talking with Rashford and he says they've not deemed it violent conduct.

It's not his decision not to send Martial off FFS :lol: why are people blaming him?

Do people just read the caption and think it's his fault or do they actually listen to what's being said? scape goating him for no reason is a bit sad.
Because they’re malevolent idiots, determined to personalise the criticism of a footballer who isn’t playing well.

romufc

There is a reason some teams get 50/50 decisions and we don't. Our captain is too passive, whereas other captains will be in the ref's ear all game, contesting decisions. Look at Rashford's reaction compare to Maguire. I don't like saying this but as a captain you have to put pressure on the ref, this is the game unfortunately.

SteveW

A solid pro who's gone through a difficult ordeal and is devoid of confidence.

The reaction of the modern day United "supporter" is of course entirely predictable. Rip him to shreds.

kps88

It's a VAR call. Maguire pressuring the on field ref makes no difference. I took it as him telling Rashford to get on with it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There's not a single captain worth his salt that would remain this silent to a referee over a farcical decision.
Who says he remains silent? this is about a 10 second clip and Maguire obviously hasn't seen it.

You'd expect the VAR and referees to do their jobs correctly - why aren't you moaning at the other 9 players on the pitch also? hope you're enjoying that bandwagon ride

ti vu

What's the actual full context of the incident? It's entirely likely that like most of us he had no clue as to what had gone on exactly. It seems that he's relaying to Rashford what the ref had told him on the video.

Screaming to the ref a la Keane circa 2001 gets you sent off these days.

This thread is sadly toxic. Horrible start to the season for Maguire (like the whole team pretty much) but he absolutely deserves a chance to get it together (like everyone else).
The context is there in the video. Our players who witnessed the incident was expecting Lamela to be sent off (rightfully). Maguire who was standing a far when Lamela and Martial had their exchanged, didn't even come to do his captain job.

When Anthony Taylor went to booked Lamela, Rashford felt it's injustice that somehow the elbow was not punished. Marguire didn't just diffused the situation, he just made Rashford sounded like a liar. "It's not. It's been checked...". His teammates witnessed the incident up close. How stupid one can get? For being captain, why no take responsibility and request the ref to check on VAR monitor, instead?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Who says he remains silent? this is about a 10 second clip and Maguire obviously hasn't seen it.

You'd expect the VAR and referees to do their jobs correctly - why aren't you moaning at the other 9 players on the pitch also? hope you're enjoying that bandwagon ride
I watched the video, he's barely making much of a fuss. I've seen it live - he barely makes much of a fuss. Trust me, I don't need this video to think he's a shit captain anyway - there is no bandwagon to jump on.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
It's easy to jump on a player as soon as he makes a mistake but he looks sluggish, slow to turn & heavy footed. At times he doesn't look like a man player, never mind our captain or an international player. I sure hope he gets his act together asap!!

Adam-Utd

I watched the video, he's barely making much of a fuss. I've seen it live - he barely makes much of a fuss. Trust me, I don't need this video to think he's a shit captain anyway - there is no bandwagon to jump on.
And that's fine - i'm taking issue to this video that apparently shows him agreeing with the decision which is completely made up BS.

Whoever captioned this video is a very weird person. United "fans" these days decide they dislike a player and will try their best to destroy their reputation - and i'm frankly baffled that people are watching that and still thinking he did something wrong? :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And that's fine - i'm taking issue to this video that apparently shows him agreeing with the decision which is completely made up BS.

Whoever captioned this video is a very weird person. United "fans" these days decide they dislike a player and will try their best to destroy their reputation - and i'm frankly baffled that people are watching that and still thinking he did something wrong? :lol:
I never said he agreed with the decision, so I'm not sure what you're taking an issue with. I'm saying he barely makes much of a fuss, he can't fire up his players for shit either. He's a shit captain, the video just captures what we already suspect from him, that he's a meek giant.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I never said he agreed with the decision, so I'm not sure what you're taking an issue with. I'm saying he barely makes much of a fuss, he can't fire up his players for shit either. He's a shit captain, the video just captures what we already suspect from him, that he's a meek giant.
You can keep saying he’s a shit captain as much as you want. That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. The video doesn’t support that opinion though. You’re just getting sucked into group hysteria about irrelevant footage.

Classical Mechanic

The context is there in the video. Our players who witnessed the incident was expecting Lamela to be sent off (rightfully). Maguire who was standing a far when Lamela and Martial had their exchanged, didn't even come to do his captain job.

When Anthony Taylor went to booked Lamela, Rashford felt it's injustice that somehow the elbow was not punished. Marguire didn't just diffused the situation, he just made Rashford sounded like a liar. "It's not. It's been checked...". His teammates witnessed the incident up close. How stupid one can get? For being captain, why no take responsibility and request the ref to check on VAR monitor, instead?
I think it's a big stretch to claim that he's making Rashford sound like a liar. I'm not aware that players have any power to demand the ref check on the screen if it hasn't been recommended by the officials in the VAR office.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You can keep saying he’s a shit captain as much as you want. That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. The video doesn’t support that opinion though. You’re just getting sucked into group hysteria about irrelevant footage.
I'm not really sucked into the video, I was thinking at the time of the game live, that he was meek. This stuff has been running on for a while in my views of him on the pitch.

My opinion of him being a meek captain is not isolated to this video, which makes me confused as to what "bandwagon" I'm supposedly jumping on.

CG1010

Yeah, one could similarly look at the video to last minute of the Brighton game where he is after the referee to convince him to give a penalty to then suggest that he is a great captain.

The referee makes the decision, and VAR steps in if he's clearly got it wrong or not seen something. Had Taylor decided to give Lamela a red too VAR would not have overruled it. Maguire as Captain should have been in his face pressuring him to give that card.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The referee makes the decision, and VAR steps in if he's clearly got it wrong or not seen something. Had Taylor decided to give Lamela a red too VAR would not have overruled it. Maguire as Captain should have been in his face pressuring him to give that card.
Have you ever seen a referee send a player off as a result of the opposition captain getting in his face, pressuring him? Because I’ve seen loads of players get booked (and some sent off) for getting in a referee’s face.

cyberman

Have you ever seen a referee send a player off as a result of the opposition captain getting in his face, pressuring him? Because I’ve seen loads of players get booked (and some sent off) for getting in a referee’s face.
I agree with you broadly but Rafael v Bayern was a galling example of this.

Referees are influenced all the time, it's human nature. We used to be masters at this. I'm not saying he has to be an inch from his face screaming at the top of his lungs but you can definitely pressure them into making decisions they are on the fence about. We are one of the 'nicest' teams in the league currently and that's partly why we roll over so easily under pressure. None of the players have any fight in them, Maguire included.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Referees are influenced all the time, it's human nature. We used to be masters at this. I'm not saying he has to be an inch from his face screaming at the top of his lungs but you can definitely pressure them into making decisions they are on the fence about.
Maybe, once upon a time, when the referee was all on their own on the pitch. VAR has turned that on its head though. The on-field referee is almost sidelined in all the big decisions. Which will have been fresh in Maguire’s head after the penalty he won last week.

tomaldinho1

I agree with you broadly but Rafael v Bayern was a galling example of this.
Referees are definitely influenced by players' reactions immediately after an incident. For example, Lamela's elbow was apparently not worthy of any punishment but had Martial gone down, not reacted and all our players ran over to the ref screaming blue murder, guarantee he gets red or, at the very least, yellow.

As for captains screaming at a ref trying to influence them post their decision, if anything that would have a negative impact

Maybe, once upon a time, when the referee was all on their own on the pitch. VAR has turned that on its head though. The on-field referee is almost sidelined in all the big decisions. Which will have been fresh in Maguire’s head after the penalty he won last week.
Not at all. Objective decisions like offside and handball yes, but with more subjective decisions it works differently. If it's a decision open to interpretation, like either of those Lamela/Martial incidents, it's up to the referee to make the call and VAR will only assist in that and step in if he has missed something or got it clearly wrong. If he had decided to give both a red from the outset, VAR would not have intervened.

Untd55

I don't know why people keep saying he was good all of last season. He wasn't.

He had a three month stint between January and March where he was decent. He was awful after lockdown and he was poor for the first half of the season as well.

That means the majority of the time he has been here has been poor, and he is getting worse.

He will go down as our worst signing ever.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

Do people just read the caption and think it's his fault or do they actually listen to what's being said? scape goating him for no reason is a bit sad.
Yeah. It’s dodgy people who use the word ‘snowflake’ with a serious face who have an issue with it.

Keano, by the way, would’ve screamed at his own players too. We don’t know what he said because there was crowds but if he felt his players might get sent off or carded he could’ve told them to feck off too.

Also @WR10 where you seen that? Genuinely intrigued

Classical Mechanic

Not at all. Objective decisions like offside and handball yes, but with more subjective decisions it works differently. If it's a decision open to interpretation, like either of those Lamela/Martial incidents, it's up to the referee to make the call and VAR will only assist in that and step in if he has missed something or got it clearly wrong. If he had decided to give both a red from the outset, VAR would not have intervened.
If you actually watch the full incident he's does come over and get in the refs ear. The video posted on here only shows the aftermath after the decision has been made.

What do you want him to do after the decision has been made exactly?

If you actually watch the full incident he's does come over and get in the refs ear. The video posted on here only shows the aftermath after the decision has been made.

What do you want him to do after the decision has been made exactly?
That video also only shows the aftermath. There is a tiny clip of the moment before, but Maguire is not anywhere near the incident in that.

He was passive all game, in his general play too, and has been since the restart. Whatever the reason is he needs to sort it out if he's to be the Captain.

Classical Mechanic

That video also only shows the aftermath. There is a tiny clip of the moment before, but Maguire is not anywhere near the incident in that.

He was passive all game, in his general play too, and has been since the restart. Whatever the reason is he needs to sort it out if he's to be the Captain.
It shows Maguire come over straight after the red has been shown to get in the refs ear.

For all the hand-wringing over the ref and Maguire, at the end of the day the Manchester United player who is at massive fault in this particular incident is Martial. He's been mugged off by Lamela and acted like a petulant child at a big cost to the team in this game and the next three.

Stacks

I don't know why people keep saying he was good all of last season. He wasn't.

He had a three month stint between January and March where he was decent. He was awful after lockdown and he was poor for the first half of the season as well.

That means the majority of the time he has been here has been poor, and he is getting worse.

He will go down as our worst signing ever.
I agree with this. There were questions about him very early on and he was being criticised for lack of pace, getting skinned, relationship with Lindelof etc then he improved for a bit and put in some decent back to back performances then became funny again after lockdown, getting mugged off, nutmegged, skinned etc.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
feck him, such a pussy. Rio would have gone right over there and chest bumped the ref and yell at him at the top of his Lungs.. Maguire needs to go to Roma and Smalling needs his spot back
Yeah, that would have shown the ref right up. Then we would have been down two key players. What a lunatic statement that is.
Maguire’s literally telling Rashford what the ref probably conveyed to him. There’s nothing that can be done once VAR is checked. There’s no coach on the sideline that can toss in a challenge flag for feck’s sake.
Even in the movies, strenuously objecting something after the judge has ruled against someone doesn’t work. Didn’t even work for Daniel Kaffee.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
He fecked up in those games but overall the whole team sucked too.

Just a small stat, Maguire started all of our last season's PL games (38 apps) and was never subbed so he basically played every minute and that's just in the PL. He looks jaded and way off the pace (not like he has a real one but...) in those performances. The thing is we rely heavily on him having a great game each game because any mistake and the whole defense falls apart. A rotation would have been good given the big number of CBs we have but Ole seemed more focused on the pairing (Maguire-Lindelof) rather than the whole group but from the other side there is no real quality that would put Maguire on the bench at the moment, we either replace him or give him a chance with a better CB partner...

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
It was probably the worst 45 minutes I’ve seen from a back 4 in a long long time. I mean they looked like they never played together before. Like a pub team against real men.

I hope we never have to see Bailly/Maguire combination again. Same goes for Pogba/Matic. Never never never again!

clarkydaz

I'm not really sucked into the video, I was thinking at the time of the game live, that he was meek. This stuff has been running on for a while in my views of him on the pitch.

My opinion of him being a meek captain is not isolated to this video, which makes me confused as to what "bandwagon" I'm supposedly jumping on.
From day one i always used this word for Lindelof, never thought i would see it for Maguire aswell, our supposed best pairing

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
From day one i always used this word for Lindelof, never thought i would see it for Maguire aswell, our supposed best pairing
It's weird, Maguire is imposing in his play as a center back (he's just a bit like a bull in a chinashop), but I don't find his body language or authority to be aligned to a captain.

Lindelof is meek in the air and has his moments where he fails to show dominance. But his body language and communication to teammates where he is organizing the back-line is clear to see.

Pace Abuser

I'm not good with twitter. But there's a video here of a conversation between Rashford and Maguire and our captain is disagreeing that Lamela should get same punishment.

Absolutely pathetic from this massive sissy.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It was probably the worst 45 minutes I’ve seen from a back 4 in a long long time. I mean they looked like they never played together before. Like a pub team against real men.

I hope we never have to see Bailly/Maguire combination again. Same goes for Pogba/Matic. Never never never again!
Yep I can laugh about it now. Some of the positioning reminded me of watching my partners kids team on a Saturday morning and that's probably doing the kids a disservice.

lsd

The Oracle
Let's face it our best hope for him is he goes to jail so we can cancel his contract

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Caf has just turned on him :lol: this place is just as bad as the teenagers that are at the forefront of “United Twitter”.

Marcus

It shows Maguire come over straight after the red has been shown to get in the refs ear.

For all the hand-wringing over the ref and Maguire, at the end of the day the Manchester United player who is at massive fault in this particular incident is Martial. He's been mugged off by Lamela and acted like a petulant child at a big cost to the team in this game and the next three.
I agree. I have no idea why our fans get misled by the media. Harry did speak to the ref.

Adam-Utd

I'm not good with twitter. But there's a video here of a conversation between Rashford and Maguire and our captain is disagreeing that Lamela should get same punishment.

Absolutely pathetic from this massive sissy.

Where does he disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.