Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedIan

He Drives me mad with his slowness bringing the ball out. so tedious to watch. Solid enough in defence Though.

Andersons Dietician

Do have to wonder what he was doing when Sigurdsen got that diving header. He basically just leaves Coleman and is trying to pass him off to Matic who is covering the middle. Instead he gets stuck in no mans land and ends up doing nothing leaving a man wide open and not being able to influence the diving header attempt.

Then there is the taking an absolute age to make up his mind what to do on the ball. Other than those things he was alright.

thepolice123

Do have to wonder what he was doing when Sigurdsen got that diving header. He basically just leaves Coleman and is trying to pass him off to Matic who is covering the middle. Instead he gets stuck in no mans land and ends up doing nothing leaving a man wide open and not being able to influence the diving header attempt.

Then there is the taking an absolute age to make up his mind what to do on the ball. Other than those things he was alright.
The communication was extremely piss poor there. I think he didn’t realise Matic went all the way into the box and was gesturing to Bailly.

faint praise.

did really well. I’m not going to nit pick.

at times he was slow on the ball (but from the TV view, you can’t tell if that’s was any movement for him) , but most of the time he wasn’t and was very proactive.

Reddevildans

Think I've mentioned this before and I know I'm nitpicking because hes doing better recently, but I wish he could install some urgency and pace in his passing like he did for the first goal today. Hes got the ability to play passes through the midfield to the front but doesnt do it enough. Also his floated balls to the wings tend to be wasteful and played too short. Something to improve on.

Think I've mentioned this before and I know I'm nitpicking because hes doing better recently, but I wish he could install some urgency and pace in his passing like he did for the first goal today. Hes got the ability to play passes through the midfield to the front but doesnt do it enough. Also his floated balls to the wings tend to be wasteful and played too short. Something to improve on.
Did it loads today @Reddevildans, 3:50 here another cracking example...

https://highlightsfootball.net/video/everton-vs-manchester-united-highlights-4/

Some of you are too impatient to appreciate a cultured CB who waits for movement rather than passes for the sake of it.

lex talionis

Harry acquitted himself brilliantly today. Sure, we had the ball most of the first half, but once we were under sustained pressure Harry had control of the box. Very well done.

OhGee

He was decent last night. Almost cost us a goal when he passed the ball straight down the oppositions throat and he was lucky Bailly was there to mop up for him- not sure the outcome would have been the same if Lindelof was his pairing partner. Then he literally could not get up to win any headers when they were bombarding us with corners towards the end - lucky for us they headed wide or over the bar. Yet to convince me that he is:
a) dominant leader in the field of play
b) dominant enough in the air to command his space in the 6 yard box.

criticalanalysis

Absolute laughable people claim Lindelof is his equal or even worst that Maguire in inferior.

In the penalty box like all good proactive defenders, the ball is like a magnet to Maguire. Outside the box, he's has the confidence and ability to play it out on his terms.

He still has consistency issues and he is by no means Vidic and Pique rolled in one but I feel almost personally offended when I read people rating the passive Swede higher or similar. Truly baffling.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The pass that led to Cavani goal was the reason why we signed him and also why Ole prefers him over Smalling, a ball playing centre back ability which is ability to pass through the line. If players can find spaces or position themselves in good position to receive pass, Maguire will find you.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Did it loads today @Reddevildans, 3:50 here another cracking example...

https://highlightsfootball.net/video/everton-vs-manchester-united-highlights-4/

Some of you are too impatient to appreciate a cultured CB who waits for movement rather than passes for the sake of it.
You’re right, if people are going to bitch about Maguire waiting for a useful pass then they should be bitching about the movement too, which obviously they don’t.

There was one moment today where Maguire held it for 15 seconds with his arms out before finally just turning back and playing round the back and Neville criticized him for it. Didn’t make a mention of Pogba standing still as a statue for those 15 seconds in between two opposition players though. Nor about Matic standing off in a RCB position while Maguire is on the left. So he has exactly 0 midfielders actually looking for the ball but somehow it is Maguire’s fault? You can’t play quick passes to a receiver who doesn’t exist.

Haddock

His head is an absolute magnet. Two games against Calvert-Lewin, the league's most dominant player in the air, and Maguire has blanked him twice. His passing is getting quicker and more incisive. Today to find Martial in space and the other week against West Ham to find Bruno who found Rashford. Keep doing this and we can cut teams open in three passes not ten.

Web of Bissaka

His head is an absolute magnet. Two games against Calvert-Lewin, the league's most dominant player in the air, and Maguire has blanked him twice.
Is he?

Solid game by Mag against him. DCL won many headers in the air when they contested though, thankfully the headings are tame, not threatening at all. Can't remember Mag won any. Good job heavy marking DCL out of the game.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Kostov

There's always something to cry about in this thread, if it's not a blatant mistake, then it's why he is "dwelling" on the ball for too long, if it's not that then someone cries about how slow he is, if that doesn't work someone will talk about why he cost 80 milion pounds.

He was good last night top 3 performer easily.

MiracleInMadrid

Pleased with him. To me he looks confident and assured, which shows in his actions both on and off the ball.

georgipep

You’re right, if people are going to bitch about Maguire waiting for a useful pass then they should be bitching about the movement too, which obviously they don’t.

There was one moment today where Maguire held it for 15 seconds with his arms out before finally just turning back and playing round the back and Neville criticized him for it. Didn’t make a mention of Pogba standing still as a statue for those 15 seconds in between two opposition players though. Nor about Matic standing off in a RCB position while Maguire is on the left. So he has exactly 0 midfielders actually looking for the ball but somehow it is Maguire’s fault? You can’t play quick passes to a receiver who doesn’t exist.
Pogba not making himself available for the CBs is a persistent problem. I can't imagine he doesn't know how important it is for the midfielders to do that.

As for Matic being part of the back line, I think that was always by design. That way we create width with the back three and can pass the ball around to avoid aggressive pressing (which, luckily, Everton decided not to do at all last night).

dal

Very good as always, I still prefer Lindelof and Maguire but Bailly is very good on the ball aswell isn’t he.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is he?

Solid game by Mag against him. DCL won many headers in the air when they contested though, thankfully the headings are tame, not threatening at all. Can't remember Mag won any. Good job heavy marking DCL out of the game.
Id say easily. He’s 6ft + and jumps like a fish out of water. I’d say only Cristiano has a more impressive standing leap than DCL.

our defence have done a great job of keeping him quiet.

He was decent last night. Almost cost us a goal when he passed the ball straight down the oppositions throat and he was lucky Bailly was there to mop up for him- not sure the outcome would have been the same if Lindelof was his pairing partner.
Can’t solely blame him for that one. He was waiting ages for somebody to drop and give him a pass, Matic had abandoned midfield and went and sat in the left back position for some stupid reason, so we struggled to build up through midfield with pogba by himself.

obviously he then tried to dribble it into space but his acceleration isn’t great and he got caught - it ends up looking like maguires mistake but it’s really a team wide issue. If he has somebody to pass to like martial for Cavanis goal then he will do it.

i really wish matic would stop moving into the back 3 it doesn’t help us at all.

Jonno

Playing very well as always.

People see magnified mistakes once every now and then and presume he makes mistakes every game. Far from the truth. Every CB in world football makes mistakes.

Since he's come in, he's enjoyed a 3rd place finish, the best clean sheet record in world football last season, we're back to 3rd and potentially mounting a title challenge, we're in our 4th semi final in 2 years.

Keep it up Maguire, not all of us hate on you.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Another good display, hopefully his detractors will become a bit thinner on the ground by the time he retires at 47, having repaid his massive fee having never been injured and having played every minute of every match ever!

Zen86

Playing very well as always.

People see magnified mistakes once every now and then and presume he makes mistakes every game. Far from the truth. Every CB in world football makes mistakes.

Since he's come in, he's enjoyed a 3rd place finish, the best clean sheet record in world football last season, we're back to 3rd and potentially mounting a title challenge, we're in our 4th semi final in 2 years.

Keep it up Maguire, not all of us hate on you.
It’s truly bizarre how much the media and some of our fans zero in on his errors. Better yet, Maguire has the special ability of taking the blame for others’ mistakes as well.

It’s solely down to his price tag. He’d quite rightly be acknowledged as one of the best defenders around were it not for that.

Jonno

It’s truly bizarre how much the media and some of our fans zero in on his errors. Better yet, Maguire has the special ability of taking the blame for others’ mistakes as well.

It’s solely down to his price tag. He’d quite rightly be acknowledged as one of the best defenders around were it not for that.
I know, mental innit. Despite the fact that had Maguire stayed at Leicester, they'd have 100% been in 4th place and us 5th last season (think of the clean sheets we kept, the goals he scored), therefore costing us £40m-£50m from qualifying and playing in the CL group stages. So the inflated cost has practically been paid back in 1 years :lol:

Zen86

I know, mental innit. Despite the fact that had Maguire stayed at Leicester, they'd have 100% been in 4th place and us 5th last season (think of the clean sheets we kept, the goals he scored), therefore costing us £40m-£50m from qualifying and playing in the CL group stages. So the inflated cost has practically been paid back in 1 years :lol:
Indeed.

The most astounding thing is people were still pining for Smalling not so long ago. Imagine us having to rely on Smalling and Bailly last season to partner Lindelöf.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He will be remembered as one of our big players in the future I am sure of that. I don't remember any better CB with such composure bar Rio Ferdinand in our modern era. He's a great playmaker from the back, who is so press resistant. Obviously like any other player he can have a day off or a bad moment but we look so much better when we know we have a CB who can cause damage, win all headers, put his body on the line when needed.

I don't get the point of people complaining he spends more time on the ball. when you have a player like him or Pogba who's this good on the ball, you let him create. It was him who found Martial who assisted Cavani. Needles to say that some posters never even noticed this but will focus on negatives.

Raven

How many headers can he win before he gets one on target? He's great at getting to the ball but he needs to bury one or two of these headers he's getting.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Zero leadership again. Let the defensive line drop too deep, doesn't step up and take lead of the defence when really needed. If we had a Bruno in defence, we would top of the league.

MattofManchester

Passing sideways in the 92nd minute, taking 3 or 4 touches before doing that as the captain to drive the team forward.

Feck off with that nonsense.

His ball playing is extremely overrated time and time again, is nowhere near a captain of this club, and just a squad player at best.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He was absolutely fine.

people in the match day thread were blaming him for the first goal :lol:

slored1

Thought he was decent. No mistakes. Bailly on the other hand is a clown.

Obiorahking_

He was absolutely fine.

people in the match day thread were blaming him for the first goal :lol:
See I have a theory it’s to do with his attitude after conceding. To be honest, I wasn’t watching the second goal too closely so my first reaction was to blame him for the second goal until i saw that his partner sold him on the replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.