Harry Maguire: I shouldn't really need to prove myself at this level. I've made over 50 caps, I'm England's top-scoring defender

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What an arrogant, and shameless twat. Absolutely embarrassing. He's been terrible for over 2 years now and instead of proving himself by getting better and knuckling down, he is out here trying to justify his horrendous form and ability by saying this.
Did you read anything he actually he said? He said his performances for Utd last year weren’t good enough at all.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This is an England interview isn't it? He's pretty much just stating facts.

If he doesn't play for England they're down to picking people like Tyrone Mings, and the how much he plays/form criticism is a ridiculous one to even bring up when Southgate picks Phillips in every squad, and was still playing Sterling ahead of some of the best forwards in the world only a few months back.

You'll never hear comments like that from the top players. They'll tell you they're always trying to improve and always trying to prove themselves. He sounds like a man who thinks he's made it and they're not the sort who will get us over the line.

He comes across as very defensive. It's not the first time and it doesn't make him look good or confident.
This.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He’s just being defensive really but he could’ve done without this. Better to say nothing and keep your focus on the pitch but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s reached his limit in terms of abuse and overcompensated.

Gavinb33

Did you read anything he actually he said? He said his performances for Utd last year weren’t good enough at all.
People consume media in Tweets and quotes these days its the way, I am neutral on Maguire its clear as day he is leaving in the summer I think and he is putting this out there to make his move to the best club available.

People love to be outraged at everything as well they should have a day off go outside or something

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think he is being insecure after all the personal insults he suffered last season.

But I do rate him as a England defender, but not much a Man Utd defender.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
He hasn't been shifting blame though, in this interview he actually says that his performances last season weren't good enough.

Everything in this interview is correct, he also states that not winning a trophy with England would be a failure, so it shows he also has a hunger to improve.
Should have put sharing the blame, you are right. I see no problem sharing the blame with the rest of his team mates, shows leadership and critique of himself wanting to improve.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Should have put sharing the blame, you are right. I see no problem sharing the blame with the rest of his team mates, shows leadership and critique of himself wanting to improve.
Agreed,

To be fair, this is probably one of the first instances I have seen/heard from Maguire where he has accepted he hasn't been good enough, but you're right it does show good leadership qualities to highlight his faults and to show a will to improve on them.

Champ

An athlete should always strive to be better and prove more and more.

At least in my book. He has accomplished stuff most footballers wouldn't, but it's a different mentality than some others might have.
He has also stated that to not win a trophy with England would be a failure,

I'd say that goes some way to showing his hunger and mentality.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He comes across as very defensive. It's not the first time and it doesn't make him look good or confident.
He's obviously aware of the criticism aimed at him, so it's not unnatural to be defensive. I'm also pretty sure many players are aware of their weakness although they don't announce it.

I'm not a Maguire fan :lol:

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
How can people not comprehend he is talking about why he is still getting selected for England and how Southgate as the England manager trust him.

mikeyt

Excluding this interview he's always been one of my most disliked united players in my lifetime.

He's either incredibly arrogant or massively delusional with no self awareness.

He seems to miss out that England are probably the worst they've been at centre back since Southgate played.

I'm desperately hoping we bin him off to somewhere like Everton, he'll fit in well with Dyche and show his mediocrity in a relegation battle.

Champ

Excluding this interview he's always been one of my most disliked united players in my lifetime.

He's either incredibly arrogant or massively delusional with no self awareness.

He seems to miss out that England are probably the worst they've been at centre back since Southgate played.

I'm desperately hoping we bin him off to somewhere like Everton, he'll fit in well with Dyche and show his mediocrity in a relegation battle.
The bolded part just isn't true though, three clean sheets at the world cup for example.

England are a defensive team, set out to be solid from the back first.
They are probably one of the meanest defensive teams in international football and Maguire has been a big part in that.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Guy can't win.

He's arrogant and shameless for thinking he's proven himself for England and also very insecure and unconfident for thinking he has.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It’s this sense of entitlement and the complete lack of self-awareness that makes it so hard to feel anything positive about him. I mean why did he thought that this interview was a good idea?

We’ve had many players who weren’t good enough for the club (him included), but someone like Fred, for example, knows that he needs to prove every day of every week that he’s worthy of playing at such level. And top athletes do that too.

SirAF

Ageist
He does load for charity and behaved exemplary during the pandemic. He’s also great with local kids.
Going abroad in the middle of a pandemic and getting in trouble with the local police is exemplary?

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
I think he needs media training. Just bat it away with “you never stop Learning, every day I want to get better” he doesn’t help himself with what he comes out with, comes across as lacking self awareness.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

And yet it’s been their most (almost) successful period since then. Funny.

Maguire is clearly not for Utd, that’s obvious, but posts like yours show just how nonsensical the vitriol towards him is.

Fr. Todd Unctious

His lack of self awareness is amazing. Harry there's a reason why even though you're captain you're still not getting picked :lol:

Wonder does he realise yet there's a high possibility that he'll be on his way out the door in the summer

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
England's highest scoring defender :lol:

He's scored 7 goals for England, 5 of those were in 2021, and he hasn't scored any since.

He's hardly Steve Bruce!

El Jefe

The amount of criticism he has received is disproportionate to his performance level. Not saying he's been fantastic but there's a hatred for him that is quite frankly silly so I don't blame him for being defensive.

I mean there were points earlier in the season where his thread would be bumped after a game where he didn't play just for posters to shit on him. Even after victories, he comments under player's instagram pics and his replies are filled with abuse.

Could he be better? Sure buy when it feels like the whole world is against you, he can be forgiven for singing his own praises.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Agreed,

To be fair, this is probably one of the first instances I have seen/heard from Maguire where he has accepted he hasn't been good enough, but you're right it does show good leadership qualities to highlight his faults and to show a will to improve on them.
It would of been showing good leadership qualities highlighting his faults until he said, "I was shite but so was everyone else."

That's not showing anything but covering your own back which is anything but good leadership qualities.