Harry Maguire (Out): Chelsea eyeing a shock swoop for Harry Maguire | Utd say not for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grande

Fine, even including the meme players you just posted - yes.

Harry Maguire is a worse player then all of the above put together.

There, i said it, and i'm not even joking.

He's a natural born LOSER.
He loses games. He lost games in every club he's ever played for, got relegated several times, lost crucial games with England and is continuing his path of destruction at United.

Get your rosy specks off and see the truth.

No amount of "progressive keepers" or "high lines" , "clowns in defense", crap you and the likes of you who defend this abomination of a player can hide the fact he's THE shittiest player ever to put on a Manchester United shirt.

There's no way of sugarcoating his poor play.

And he's not a young player who's gonna evolve and raise his game.....

He's a 29 year old who's only going to get worse.

The only thing keeping that man playing is his extraordinary ability to stay fit.
I'll give him that.
I apologize, I was condescending when questioning your sincerity.

That leaves a few questions for discussion.

1. Is there a plausible explanation for why Harry Maguire was voted player of the year thrice for Sheffield United thrice, Hull once and Leicester once by both fans and players, picked 46 times for the national team, paid a world record transfer for a player in his position and chosen as captain by several coaches, while Bebe has been offloaded after less than 32 games at Estrela, Vitoria, Besiktas, Rio Avellaneda, Pacos de Ferreira, Cordoba and Eibar, and has six games for Cabo Verde NT since he was never called up for Portugal? I can dig up arguments off course, but none plausible really, apart from that he must be a much, much, much better player than Bebe.

2. Who is a more Natural Born Loser: one who wins a third round match, a fourth round match, a fifth round match, a QF, a SF and loses a final, or one who loses a third round match, or one who loses a lower league match and is never picked again?

3. I managed to stay fit for almost every game I was an option for until I was well in my fourties. Why was I never picked to play an EC final?

justsomebloke

That would make him the 4th highest paid player at Chelsea. Its more to what Pogba (free agent) is being paid at Juve as well
Roughly similar to Chilwell, or Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool. Less than Stones makes at City (13m). In other words, pretty much par for the course for a good England regular. It doesn't seem especially extravagant to me. If you approach it in terms of salary relative to the sort of clubs who'd show a real transfer interest, there are plenty of worse examples on the United roster (like Martial at 13m, De Gea at 19.5, van de Beek at 6.2, Wan-Bissaka at 4.7, Bailly at 4.2 and Phil Jones at 3.9). The last three would be the highest paid player on quite a few PL teams at that salary, which obviously puts them out of bounds for exactly the sort of teams who'd want them. I don't think salary level would make Maguire much of a problem for Chelsea or other big clubs.

Not sure how a Serie A player would really be a good comparable here.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Roughly similar to Chilwell, or Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool. Less than Stones makes at City (13m). In other words, pretty much par for the course for a good England regular. It doesn't seem especially extravagant to me. If you approach it in terms of salary relative to the sort of clubs who'd show a real transfer interest, there are plenty of worse examples on the United roster (like Martial at 13m, De Gea at 19.5, van de Beek at 6.2, Wan-Bissaka at 4.7, Bailly at 4.2 and Phil Jones at 3.9). The last three would be the highest paid player on quite a few PL teams at that salary, which obviously puts them out of bounds for exactly the sort of teams who'd want them. I don't think salary level would make Maguire much of a problem for Chelsea or other big clubs.

Not sure how a Serie A player would really be a good comparable here.
My point is that United overspend in salary and an 80m rated CB would exploit that. Which means it becomes difficult to get rid off. I don't know how you can compare the best RB in the EPL and a proper assist machine with a CB whose been a living meme for the past year or two.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Chelsea offered us a lifeline and we are refusing that. We deserve to be on this mess. We are just never proactive and ruthless.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Good time to move him. Still in good age for defender (29) and with new manager trying to play his brand this deal could also make United's budget even smoother.

justsomebloke

My point is that United overspend in salary and an 80m rated CB would exploit that. Which means it becomes difficult to get rid off. I don't know how you can compare the best RB in the EPL and a proper assist machine with a CB whose been a living meme for the past year or two.
It doesn't work like that. Jesse Lingard makes the exact same amount as Harry Kane, and at a much smaller club too. And I highly doubt the market, unlike a lot of people on this forum, views Maguire as a joke meme. He's shown that he can play at a very high level under the right circumstances. 10m/y is enough to put him mostly in big club territory, but in that context it's not a particularly hefty amount. Provided an interested club see him as someone who could be an important piece for them, and they wouldn't go in for him if they don't. Again, there are lots of contracts at United that are much more of an obstacle than his.

JuriM

Argue me if you want, but I could see him work out well in a similar structure Atletico has under Simeone and have a compact hard-working defensive setup around him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Argue me if you want, but I could see him work out well in a similar structure Atletico has under Simeone and have a compact hard-working defensive setup around him.
Not gonna argue in slightest. Send him to Atleti and get that compact hard-working defensive setup for a change.

devilish

It doesn't work like that. Jesse Lingard makes the exact same amount as Harry Kane, and at a much smaller club too. And I highly doubt the market, unlike a lot of people on this forum, views Maguire as a joke meme. He's shown that he can play at a very high level under the right circumstances. 10m/y is enough to put him mostly in big club territory, but in that context it's not a particularly hefty amount. Provided an interested club see him as someone who could be an important piece for them, and they wouldn't go in for him if they don't. Again, there are lots of contracts at United that are much more of an obstacle than his.
International football is crap and very few care about Maguire's performance against Albania. What matters is what happens at club level specifically the club he's been playing with now. On that alone Maguire is considered as a risk and his huge salary, his limitations (aka zero pace and he's now 29) won't help in him finding a new club. I can't see anyone spending more then 40m on him.

justsomebloke

International football is crap and very few care about Maguire's performance against Albania. What matters is what happens at club level specifically the club he's been playing with now. On that alone Maguire is considered as a risk and his huge salary, his limitations (aka zero pace and he's now 29) won't help in him finding a new club. I can't see anyone spending more then 40m on him.
Well, once more, for a big club player his salary is not huge. That was kind of the point under discussion here.

devilish

Well, once more, for a big club player his salary is not huge. That was kind of the point under discussion here.
Its not large for us as we pay silly wages but its large for most other clubs. Don't forget that Maguire had been playing bad for the past 1-2 years. He is a risk.

Abraxas

He’s had an excellent career literally everywhere except here. We’re an absolute player-graveyard….don’t be at all surprised if he goes elsewhere and excels again
Excellent seems a bit strong. Unless you're talking about the fact that he made it from lower sides to Man Utd. Or just within very general terms, he's made it to Manchester United so by default you've kind of made it as a footballer in terms of the ambition as a youngster growing up.

In terms of being a top level footballer, at the business end of tournaments and winning things, and excelling for a big side, his career has been poor at this level. He hasn't been a strong player for us for any length of time, and indeed has been shocking for large swathes. He's done okay for England in a cautious system.

JeffFromHK

He needs to be sold since he is clumsy and slow. But the problem is we only have 4CB left without him and 2 (Bailly and Varane) of them are injury prone and the other 2 are never strong in the air

Sviken

Come on Chelsea, you know what to do - strengthen your defence.

Catalandevil

With Bailly going, I don't think we will sell him. However, it could be smart to move him and sign Pau Torres, but we will not assume that risk. What if Pau and Martinez don't adapt well to the PL? What if Varane is injured all the time again?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Excellent seems a bit strong. Unless you're talking about the fact that he made it from lower sides to Man Utd. Or just within very general terms, he's made it to Manchester United so by default you've kind of made it as a footballer in terms of the ambition as a youngster growing up.

In terms of being a top level footballer, at the business end of tournaments and winning things, and excelling for a big side, his career has been poor at this level. He hasn't been a strong player for us for any length of time, and indeed has been shocking for large swathes. He's done okay for England in a cautious system.
He excelled at Hull and earned a move to Leicester, where he excelled and earned a move to Man Utd. He’s a regular for his national team which just had their best tournament run in decades. That’s everywhere except us, and it’s pretty strong!

Im more making the point that players get worse at Utd at the moment. When was the last time a player moved here and looked a better player. Bruno? For a bit? Everyone else I can think of in recent years looks worse. We’re a tough place to be right now….don’t be surprised if Harry does better elsewhere, on the evidence of today he’d be pretty handy for Chelsea

JeffFromHK

Maguire is 29, his biggest achievements are:
1. sheffield/leicester's player of the year (sheffield played in league one btw)
2. England starting Eleven (while Danny Mills, Paul Robinson, Matthfew Upson were once starting Eleven players for england and not many people consider them to be world class)
3. World Cup Semi and Euro Final (reaching that far in international tournaments doesn't mean you are world class, how many names from the Greek Euro 04 winning sqaud can you remember? Many of them are not even qualified to play in the top 5 leagues in europe)
4. Euro 20 Best XI
5. Bought by Man Utd at 80M and assigned captaincy

These are it.

and he, at 29:
1. relegated 4 times in his career
2. won 0 major trophies (if you don't count championship playoff winners?)
3. never got admitted to any EPL teams of the year (while our former lesser players like Ashley Young, Darren Fletcher and Valencia managed to do so)
4. never got included in any european team of the year or get nominated for ballon or
5. never played in a champions league game before he was 27 years old
6. only played 4 full premier league seasons before joining manutd, which he finished 9th, 9th, 18th and 18th
7. only managed to played in a team that conceded less than 1 goal per game once in his career before joining man utd and 1 time more after joining man utd
8. concedes around ~1.4 goals per game in his career

His credentials, or football heritage, is VERY VERY poor for a Man Utd captain.

redshaw

Our Harry would shore up their defence for only 80 million. We can probably throw in gift wrap and free del.

90 + 5min

If this is true and we can sell Maguire for more than £30m, I don't know what we are waiting for? I thought he wasn't that bad in the beginning but for every season it went he got worse.

We made misstake, we should accept it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
They must be desperate now, time is running out, let's hold for 50m and they can have him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Imagine thinking we can go into the season with Martinez, Lindelof and Varane as our options.

Trequarista10

Maguire is 29, his biggest achievements are:
1. sheffield/leicester's player of the year (sheffield played in league one btw)
2. England starting Eleven (while Danny Mills, Paul Robinson, Matthfew Upson were once starting Eleven players for england and not many people consider them to be world class)
3. World Cup Semi and Euro Final (reaching that far in international tournaments doesn't mean you are world class, how many names from the Greek Euro 04 winning sqaud can you remember? Many of them are not even qualified to play in the top 5 leagues in europe)
4. Euro 20 Best XI
5. Bought by Man Utd at 80M and assigned captaincy

These are it.

and he, at 29:
1. relegated 4 times in his career
2. won 0 major trophies (if you don't count championship playoff winners?)
3. never got admitted to any EPL teams of the year (while our former lesser players like Ashley Young, Darren Fletcher and Valencia managed to do so)
4. never got included in any european team of the year or get nominated for ballon or
5. never played in a champions league game before he was 27 years old
6. only played 4 full premier league seasons before joining manutd, which he finished 9th, 9th, 18th and 18th
7. only managed to played in a team that conceded less than 1 goal per game once in his career before joining man utd and 1 time more after joining man utd
8. concedes around ~1.4 goals per game in his career

His credentials, or football heritage, is VERY VERY poor for a Man Utd captain.
I agree with the premise of your post, but the "He has been relegated four times" thing needs to stop. Not aimed at you specifically, it gets brought up occasionally as a stick to beat him with. The first relegation he was 17/18 and made 5 league appearances, the second and third he made 3 substitute appearances in the PL, and spent 3 months on loan. The fourth was in a side containing Robertson, too. It just undermines the argument tbh. There's enough valid reasons to criticise him accurately, without bringing up relegation when he was a teenager and made a couple appearances. The relegation have nothing to do with how shit he is, how underqualified he is to captain this club, and how unsuited he is to a team that tries to defend with a high line.

CloneMC16

I can't see the club selling Maguire. We're already letting Bailly leave. We'll be down to Varane, Martinez, and Lindelof. I guess Jones, too, but he hasn't played much football in years. If we didn't let Bailly leave, I could see it. Even with those 4, Bailly and Varane have not been consistently available for us. The one thing Maguire does give us is availability.

AttackAttackAttack

I think it is too late in the window to sell Harry. We are going to need players and even though he has been underwhelming I still think he could come good. The problem is we want to play a high line and he is sloooow. Give it one more season and then sell. We need to focus on other areas of the pitch and not worry about being light at CB. I’d much rather Harry play than victor.

Status
Not open for further replies.