g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Maguire (Out): Chelsea eyeing a shock swoop for Harry Maguire | Utd say not for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's super unlikely. But it may indicate that he's not untouchable at the club despite the hefty fee paid. After all, the most sensible thing the club did last season was not follow through with a major upgrade on his contract (though we unfortunately did for Bruno).

He's a good player. And for a team that plays with a deep defensive line I think he will be about as good as he was a couple of years ago, which was very good. He won't fit with a high line progressive football though, in the slightest, and quite a few others as well.

Morpheus 7

Maguire has been garbage for us. Varane hasn't played enough but he's also not made the level of brainless errors per game that Maguire has. He's slow, turns like a tanker, isn't the smartest and is sucked out of position at the drop of a hat. I'd drive him to west London myself, and they can keep pulisic.
Well said lad.

Grande

Is that the same memory that remembers the same Harry Maguire as the shittiest player in the last 12 months?
No, he’s actually above Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Telles, Van de Beek, Rashford, Martial, Cavani, Lingard and Mata in those 12 months, so shittiest doen’t fit. He had a shitty last season, worth a sixth plave in the PL, as we all know, but I don’t see any reason to lie and deny that he played well the season before, or that he is preferred by coach after coach to play and to captain. My memory has space for more than one item, and so has yours.

Gandalf

Martinez - Varane

Lindelof is the only viable back up. Doesn't make sense, Baily will leave and Jones can't be trusted to stay fit.
That is what I was thinking too but with the lack of movement in the transfer market maybe Tuanzebe or even Bernard and Mengi are seen as options that could work in the absence of 2 of of Martinez/Lindelof/Varane.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You’d also have the immeasurable boost to Maguire of T. Silva guiding him away from his every miss-step and positional error and being the leader taking the majority of the stress and responsibility on his own shoulders, leaving Maguire to focus on a much simpler job.

It’s a move he himself should jump at if this story isn’t a load of bollocks.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
These are the type of threads that should be getting to 1600 pages!

Come on you transfer muppets, do your stuff.

DickDastardly

No, he’s actually above Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Telles, Van de Beek, Rashford, Martial, Cavani, Lingard and Mata in those 12 months, so shittiest doen’t fit. He had a shitty last season, worth a sixth plave in the PL, as we all know, but I don’t see any reason to lie and deny that he played well the season before, or that he is preferred by coach after coach to play and to captain. My memory has space for more than one item, and so has yours.
He's the preferred CB because he's fit.

And he's fit because he's slow and doesn't really do anything besides pointing his finger where his teammates should pass the ball.

He's the captain because old Ole fecked up.

He's arguably the worst player i saw play for United and most definetly the worst captain ever to captain this side.

Getting rid od this fraud would be better in the long run then signing Casemiro and Frenkie de Jong.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I mean you’re right, but it’s still shite business getting rid of another CB option this late. We’d need someone in and there’s no guarantee on that.
We can't hold onto Maguire because he's available alot. His availability is meaningless if it means Ten Hag has to make tactical adjustments to cope with his lack of pace.

You are right, beyond Maguire we aren't blessed with great options at centre back. Lindelof is another who won't be part of our future. However, I guess it'll mean Mengi or someone getting a chance as fourth choice. At least the kid can run.

Strats

Really hope this is true even if it feels unlikely.

Any word on if us or Chelsea made the proposal?

Gandalf

Really hope this is true even if it feels unlikely.

Any word on if us or Chelsea made the proposal?
Seems to be very much Chelsea just sounding out possible back up options if Fofana does not happen. I doubt Leicester can resist the mighty dollar so it is probably moot but as mentioned previously, in a back 3 Harry is actually not that bad and if we were willing to sell at a significant loss it would not be the worst idea for them but very much a plan B if they cannot land a better player.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Tuchel specifically hinted at wanting to get a much younger profile of defender in. Hence the strong interest in Fofana. We’ve already got 37 year old Thiago Silva, 33 year old Azpi, and 31 year old Koulibaly. To add a nearly 30 year old CB who has been woeful for over a year makes less than zero sense.
So you’re saying there is a chance?

Chief123

Tabloid bait luring out the children in our fan base. Thinking we would sell the CB with the most minutes in pre season, whom Ten Hag has kept on as captain and who stayed on the pitch while Martinez was pulled of at half time v Brentford.

Evidence so far shows he’s Ten Hag’s first or second choice among seven options, like he was for Rangnik and Solskjær, like he is for Southgate and would have been for Mourinho. I’m not claiming he’s been marvelous, but everyone with a memory knows he was our best defender in 20/21. wanking over his mistakes like meme jerks is just childish.
So was McTominay. It doesn’t take away from the fact they are both shit. A manager has to use what he has. Rumours of Maguire getting dropped is the best step any manager has taken in the last 3 years.

Stacks

Pure delusion. You're quoting younger players on the up rather than at their peak or on the decline. Furthermore, WAGES.
Im not saying I necessarily agree with the valuation of the players like Wan Bissaka (definitely not by the way...) and Ben White.... I do think often players are overvalued after only a single great season.. Not only in England but everywhere..

Im just saying that clubs tend to pay a lot more for players who had one good season than players who were great in earlier season but were shit for a more recent period of times.. So Ben White and also Wan Bissaka are great examples of that..

So thats why I think indeed players like Maguire are undervalued in the market right now, whereas players like Ben White are often overvalued one year ago.. Just Like I think Maguire was massively overvalued when we bought him..

Thats why I am saying there is no way Rashford, Maguire and also McTominay could currently be sold for the values you are arguing..
Cuckoo land.
All those players you mentioned have two things in common: they haven't been absolutely terrible for the better part of two years, and they don't have incredibly high wages. Those two things are true for most of our players, and that's why nobody is interested in them. It's not as if we're struggling to hold onto them. The only player we could actually have sold was Lingard.

For what conceivable reason would any club pay £50m for Maguire when he has been not merely useless but an actual liability for United for so long? I would be genuinely surprised if anyone would pay half of that. He's not just on a run of bad form, he has been the worst player on the pitch more often than not for so long that people can barely remember a time before that.
Hey guys, please also head to the Scott Mctominay thread for the latest developments when you get the time. a COOL £40 MILL!!!!!

stevoc

Would only happen if we signed a replacement, don't see us going into the season with Martinez, injury prone Varane and Lindelof as our only CB options. With Bailly probably leaving on loan.

TsuWave

I will celebrate like I have never done before. Please make it happen

FlapR

Copying my comment from the Maguire thread:

Why the feck would we want the "LeBron James of soccer".

Orion.

A replacement would be necessary. John Stones is basically 4th choice at City now, reckon he’d be tempted by the chance to finally establish himself somewhere.

Grande

He's the preferred CB because he's fit.

And he's fit because he's slow and doesn't really do anything besides pointing his finger where his teammates should pass the ball.

He's the captain because old Ole fecked up.

He's arguably the worst player i saw play for United and most definetly the worst captain ever to captain this side.

Getting rid od this fraud would be better in the long run then signing Casemiro and Frenkie de Jong.
That’s as lazy and lousy an analysis as I’ve seen. Do you really think that he’s preferred by managers because he is slow? I don’t think you believe in that argumentation, it’s just lazy bullshit.

You think the only reason why he is captain is Ole’s initial choice? If he was clearly unfit to be captain, Ole, Carrick, Rangnik or Ten Hag would have changed it by now. They have had the chance to opt for De Gea, Bruno or Ronaldo for instance, but they have stuck with Maguire all four. If he’s not the obviously best leader of the squad, they must think he is one of them.

If you want to argue that Obertan, Bebe, Manucho, Tuanzebe, Pereira etc are better than Maguire, be my guest, but you’ll be confirming my first claim that quite a few of the Maguire ‘critics’ in this thread and others are, in fact, childish.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Swap deal for 30m+Koulibaly? Since we are in the season of unlikely deals anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.