Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomSlayer

The arrogance of our some fans when talking to an opposition supporter about their own team astounds me at times.
What about your own arrogance to not even follow the whole conversation? This guy has a problem to pick with me for some reason so I'm not just going to back down. This is RedCafe, not FoxCafe.

Keefy18

Ake is homegrown as well.

EDIT - Actually, perhaps not. May be getting him mixed up with another player.
Ake is home grown player.
Is he? Wasn't aware of his status in that regard.

But yeah, I do see him as a vastly better option than the one sided Maguire.

More importantly, with Ake he has great leadership skills having been youth captain at Chelsea where the won the youth cup and possibly the league? Unsure about the latter.

Either way I think he's aggressive, scores vital goals from set pieces, can pass well (his completion is marginally better than Maguires last season) and has that leadership quality about him.

Bestietom

Yes the transfer fees for players has gone crazy, but we are also asking for big money for 2 of our players.
Lukaku 75 million
Pogba 150 million

We may have to pay 80 million for Maguire or move on to someone else if we think he is too dear.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Yes the transfer fees for players has gone crazy, but we are also asking for big money for 2 of our players.
Lukaku 75 million
Pogba 150 million

We may have to pay 80 million for Maguire or move on to someone else if we think he is too dear.
Yes, this is a universal issue it seems, not even localised to the EPL. People moan about Harry’s price, but he is worth way more to Leicester than Lukaku is to you for example yet still has a price tag of 75m (seems higher actually) - basically it’s a dumb market

BlabyFox

Supports
Leicester
Hi, lifelong Leicester fan here just going to post my views on the Maguire debate/saga/salty exchanges.

Firstly, as a player, like many he has pros and cons, immense in the air, fantastic bringing the ball out and very comfortable on it, can ping an accurate long range pass too. Can be caught out of position, not quick or quick to turn but good enough to be 1st choice CB for England now.
I personally want to keep him so we can have a real pop at breaking the established top 6 order again.

Unfortunately though, as ALL clubs know, silly money talks and some of the numbers being muted means every player has their price.

As a person Harry seems very level headed as well as large headed :) and is very respectful of the opportunity we as a club have given him. I can no way see him agitating for a move or throwing his toys out like Mahrez, he's a real pro. If he does want to join you guys our owners will not stand in his way AS LONG as you meet their valuation. Regarding the valuation, let's face it, transfer fees are obscene and worsening but in a supply and demand situation we hold all the aces despite the size of your club. Young England CB with 4 years left on a 5 year contract and tough, highly successful business men who will not be bullied that's for sure.

Regarding yourselves and some of the exchanges on here with fellow Foxes, if you read Leicester forums you will seldom find anyone who would doubt the enormity of yourselves, history and past trophies, however, the point being made by some is that currently you are in transition and despite your size with no CL, sadly for you, you are not even the most appealing club in Manchester presently. I personally do not feel OGS is the man to oversee this transition but I thought Ranieri was a meh appointment for us.

Back on to Maguire, it seems to have gone very quiet and thankfully not so much bs clickbait, we're hearing conflicting reports, some saying he will join you, others saying he only wants to join your neighbours. One thing I am confident of is if he does join you or another club it will be £80million plus and on our owners terms.

In conclusion, this and other transfers of this value are not about lack of respect, club size/wealth it's about chance of success and winning the PL and playing in the CL.

It will be interesting how this unfolds, all the best.

Reactions: 2cents

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hi, lifelong Leicester fan here just going to post my views on the Maguire debate/saga/salty exchanges.

Firstly, as a player, like many he has pros and cons, immense in the air, fantastic bringing the ball out and very comfortable on it, can ping an accurate long range pass too. Can be caught out of position, not quick or quick to turn but good enough to be 1st choice CB for England now.
I personally want to keep him so we can have a real pop at breaking the established top 6 order again.

Unfortunately though, as ALL clubs know, silly money talks and some of the numbers being muted means every player has their price.

As a person Harry seems very level headed as well as large headed :) and is very respectful of the opportunity we as a club have given him. I can no way see him agitating for a move or throwing his toys out like Mahrez, he's a real pro. If he does want to join you guys our owners will not stand in his way AS LONG as you meet their valuation. Regarding the valuation, let's face it, transfer fees are obscene and worsening but in a supply and demand situation we hold all the aces despite the size of your club. Young England CB with 4 years left on a 5 year contract and tough, highly successful business men who will not be bullied that's for sure.

Regarding yourselves and some of the exchanges on here with fellow Foxes, if you read Leicester forums you will seldom find anyone who would doubt the enormity of yourselves, history and past trophies, however, the point being made by some is that currently you are in transition and despite your size with no CL, sadly for you, you are not even the most appealing club in Manchester presently. I personally do not feel OGS is the man to oversee this transition but I thought Ranieri was a meh appointment for us.

Back on to Maguire, it seems to have gone very quiet and thankfully not so much bs clickbait, we're hearing conflicting reports, some saying he will join you, others saying he only wants to join your neighbours. One thing I am confident of is if he does join you or another club it will be £80million plus and on our owners terms.

In conclusion, this and other transfers of this value are not about lack of respect, club size/wealth it's about chance of success and winning the PL and playing in the CL.

thanks for the information. May you enjoy your stay in our forum and please don't turn like Glaston who thinks that his team (Spurs) are Real Madrid in waiting. We don't want you to vanish to 'Business trips' in India whenever reality hits home.

hubbuh

What about your own arrogance to not even follow the whole conversation? This guy has a problem to pick with me for some reason so I'm not just going to back down. This is RedCafe, not FoxCafe.
With all due respect it certainly seemed like you had an issue with him, not the other way around.

Also re. the bolded bit; can we ban/destroy people that take issue with opposition fans talking about their teams on here? It drives me bananas.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He only played that many due to Maguire having an injury and Soyuncu having problems settling in so he was given more time before being used.

Unless this is an English essay being marked for some sort of qualification I could care less if my use of punctuation offends you, get over yourself and stop being so pompous
Do you think Soyuncu would become a first XI player if Maguire left? How highly is he rated by you lot?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Do you think Soyuncu would become a first XI player if Maguire left? How highly is he rated by you lot?
personally I would go with either him or Benkovic, both are very highly rated by the club, I see no need to spend half of whatever fee we receive for Maguire, should he be sold, on either Dunk or Ake when we could instead put that money towards a top winger and striker which we need more

DoomSlayer

With all due respect it certainly seemed like you had an issue with him, not the other way around.

Also re. the bolded bit; can we ban/destroy people that take issue with opposition fans talking about their teams on here? It drives me bananas.
The poster started the issue a few pages back when I was trying to go for some friendly banter and he decided to take it to a whole different level. You have a problem with me defending United against other teams?

Try and destroy me pal, would love to see you try it. If you don't want it spilling over here, PM me.

ravi2

Thank you for your very informative post!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
personally I would go with either him or Benkovic, both are very highly rated by the club, I see no need to spend half of whatever fee we receive for Maguire, should he be sold, on either Dunk or Ake when we could instead put that money towards a top winger and striker which we need more
Ooh, if you pick up Ake for half the Maguire cash you’ll have half the Caf fuming. Would be a great signing (also for us). But it seems you’ve got good depth there anyway. How good was Benkovich for Brendan?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Ooh, if you pick up Ake for half the Maguire cash you’ll have half the Caf fuming. Would be a great signing (also for us). But it seems you’ve got good depth there anyway. How good was Benkovich for Brendan?
I heard Celtic fans compared him to VVD when he was with them, so its a good sign if nothing else

hubbuh

The poster started the issue a few pages back when I was trying to go for some friendly banter and he decided to take it to a whole different level. You have a problem with me defending United against other teams?

Try and destroy me pal, would love to see you try it. If you don't want it spilling over here, PM me.
It was a joke ya wee softie, christ.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Are you just trying to pick a fight with anyone? :lol:

Patrick08

I doubt, we will succumb to the unrealistic evaluation of Leicester, the deal will include heavy unrealistic Addones if we ever reach the price quoted, other wise we will move on.

El-Manos

Sensible post. We’ll see what happens I guess. In my opinion it’s too much money so I would pursue other targets. Then again, we are desperate. A very good defender, entering his prime soon. However he is not perfect and certainly has his limitations as you already pointed out.

DoomSlayer

Are you just trying to pick a fight with anyone? :lol:
I don't want to pick a fight with anyone mate, just see for yourself that my first interaction with the Leicester fan was light-hearted and he turned it around into something serious, talking about Sir Alex and what not, whilst it was so obvious I was joking.

I have my pride, I don't think that requires an apology but it was never my intention to go this way. It was the Leicester fan who decided to reply to my comment and made it an issue again, I didn't want to have anything do to with it anymore.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I don't want to pick a fight with anyone mate, just see for yourself that my first interaction with the Leicester fan was light-hearted and he turned it around into something serious, talking about Sir Alex and what not, whilst it was so obvious I was joking.

I have my pride, I don't think that requires an apology but it was never my intention to go this way. It was the Leicester fan who decided to reply to my comment and made it an issue again, I didn't want to have anything do to with it anymore.
you really are making a fool of yourself, what exactly did I said about Sir Alex that was so heinous? That he's taken the trident with him? Or that if he'd been involved in a meaningful way in the running of Manchester United that Harry Maguire would have signed last summer?

The comment about Phil Jones I replied to I didn't even realise was by you, that's how little of an impression you made so get over yourself and stop acting like a keyboard hardman, its pathetic.

NYAS

I’ve been reading your posts for the last couple of days and it seems like you think you’re in a football warzone. This isn’t your run-of-the-mill, shitty forum that’s full of little kids trading barbs with opposition supporters. In fact they’re welcome here and that’s the reason they’re here and not there.

You’re the only United fan on here who feels like he has to constantly “defend” the club against opposition supporters. Have you considered why that is? Is it because you have more “pride” than all the rest of us?

A piece of advice: you should settle down and just talk football. No one is out to get you so stop being paranoid and weird and enjoy the forum for what it is, because there’s really no other place like it.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Is he? Wasn't aware of his status in that regard.

But yeah, I do see him as a vastly better option than the one sided Maguire.

More importantly, with Ake he has great leadership skills having been youth captain at Chelsea where the won the youth cup and possibly the league? Unsure about the latter.

Either way I think he's aggressive, scores vital goals from set pieces, can pass well (his completion is marginally better than Maguires last season) and has that leadership quality about him.
Yeah Ake is homegrown due to spending over 3 years at Chelsea before he was 18.

KennyBurner

I’ve been reading your posts for the last couple of days and it seems like you think you’re in a football warzone. This isn’t your run-of-the-mill, shitty forum that’s full of little kids trading barbs with opposition supporters. In fact they’re welcome here and that’s the reason they’re here and not there.

You’re the only United fan on here who feels like he has to constantly “defend” the club against opposition supporters. Have you considered why that is? Is it because you have more “pride” than all the rest of us?

A piece of advice: you should settle down and just talk football. No one is out to get you so stop being paranoid and weird and enjoy the forum for what it is, because there’s really no other place like it.
Just reading a few of his posts and it seems he is just like Christian bale in American psycho. Very edgy guy!

DoomSlayer

Apologies to any fellow United fan if I've dragged the level down with my comments. This will be my last post in this thread, hope we get Maguire soon. Peace.

BlabyFox

Supports
Leicester
Sensible post. We’ll see what happens I guess. In my opinion it’s too much money so I would pursue other targets. Then again, we are desperate. A very good defender, entering his prime soon. However he is not perfect and certainly has his limitations as you already pointed out.
Cheers, I truly hope you're right and we keep him and his flaws :) Re prices they're ludicrous, I'll be honest though, I do like how the chasm in financial clout of you established bigger clubs has decreased and us smaller clubs can ruffle a few feathers now and again an FFP ban for your neighbours would liven things up more :).

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
To be quite honest we haven't seen too much of him yet. Your ex player Jonny Evans stepped into the side and was preferred over Soyuncu. We paid 19 mill for him and he was highly rated. The feeling was he was an insurance policy for Maguire leaving. All top players are looking to play CL footie and I suspect Maguire is no exception

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Hi RedCafe,

I thought I’d join up, as a Leicester fan, to offer my opinion on Harry Mags. Unlike some other Leicester fans, I don’t rate him as highly as others do. I believe his value and the perception of him as a player was inflated after a good World Cup. Personally, for £70,000,000 I’d take your money.

Firstly, the positives:
  • Great in the air whilst defending. He’ll win 70% of the his aerial duels.
  • He’s a big unit and physically imposing.
  • Calm on the ball.
  • Solid passer for a defender. Can bring the ball out from the back.
  • Decent positional play.
  • Long range passing is good.
Weaknesses:
  • Agile he is not, he turns like the titanic.
  • These marauding runs he goes on, often leave massive gaps in the defence. If we get turned over, he can’t get back. He has a tendency to just keep going until he loses that ball, rather than release it.
  • Speed - he’s slow and cumbersome.
  • He’s prone to a mistake. Very prone. For a defender, it’s costly.
  • He isn’t a leader. Johnny Evans is our best defender, he’s made HM look better.

IrishRedDevil

‘Harry Maguire has told Brendan Rodgers he wants to leave Leicester. He is looking to push through a move to #mufc. Man City unwilling to enter a bidding war.’

Irrational.

Hi RedCafe,

I thought I’d join up, as a Leicester fan, to offer my opinion on Harry Mags. Unlike some other Leicester fans, I don’t rate him as highly as others do. I believe his value and the perception of him as a player was inflated after a good World Cup. Personally, for £70,000,000 I’d take your money.

Firstly, the positives:
  • Calm on the ball.
Weaknesses:
  • These marauding runs he goes on, often leave massive gaps in the defence. If we get turned over, he can’t get back. He has a tendency to just keep going until he loses that ball, rather than release it.
  • He isn’t a leader. Johnny Evans is our best defender, he’s made HM look better.
Thanks for the insight. Pretty much matches what I think. I think he's a £40 million defender at best. For £70 million you should be getting a complete defender ala VVD.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Thanks for the insight. Pretty much matches what I think. I think he's a £40 million defender at best. For £70 million you should be getting a complete defender ala VVD.
The reason his valuation is so high, is more to do with the fact we don’t want to sell him. To a degree, this worries me, as we’re inflating the market by doing this; but also stating that we don’t really trust the players in waiting.

It’ll be interesting to see what you guys make of him, if / when he joins.

Trophy Room

‘Harry Maguire has told Brendan Rodgers he wants to leave Leicester. He is looking to push through a move to #mufc. Man City unwilling to enter a bidding war.’
We always seem to win our bidding wars with City. The players however end up being useless ( Sanchez, Fred) and City have the last laugh! Maguire to break the mould or follow suit? :lol:

IrishRedDevil

Hi RedCafe,

Firstly, the positives:
  • Calm on the ball.
Weaknesses:
He’s a much better defender than what we have (Rojo and Jones). He isn’t perfect, I agree with you on that, and his pace is an issue, but I still think overall he would improve the team with the positives he offers.

Stepping up to a bigger club might even push him on to be even better. It happens.

I don’t really care if he costs £40m or £70m. If the club think they can afford him, just pay whatever the accountants think is acceptable/affordable. I’m here to watch my team play better, not worry about bank balance. Also a good replacement player is likely to cost Leicester a decent chunk of that money anyway?

AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw would be a step in the correct direction. Much more solid than what we have had to offer for many years.

Ps...Evans would often shit his pants playing for United. Playing for a huge club isn’t for everyone.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We always seem to win our bidding wars with City. The players however end up being useless ( Sanchez, Fred) and City have the last laugh! Maguire to break the mould or follow suit? :lol:
Thing is if Fred or Sanchez joined City, they would be much better as well. Same goes for Maguire as well - pep loves a skilled defender.

Roboc7

Hi RedCafe,

Firstly, the positives:
  • Calm on the ball.
Weaknesses:
Very similar to what I have heard a lot of Leicester fans say about him, personally think it’s the marauding runs and distribution which make him look better than he actually is and he does make fair amount of mistakes.

I thought Evans was every bit as good as Maguire last year, a lot of Utd can’t accept because they desperate for Maguire to be the next VVD.

Anything over 50m would be great price for Leicester and looks like you will get well over that for him, Utd are desperate enough to be interested close or over w record fee.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

I don't know if there's a slight language barrier pal, but you seem exceptionally angry and confrontational.

There's not many posters on here whose name I even notice, but for a guy who has been on here a month you've stood out for the above!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hi RedCafe,

Firstly, the positives:
  • Calm on the ball.
Weaknesses:
Agreed with a lot of that until the last line.
We've encountered Mr Evans, and he was shocking for us in his last couple of seasons.
There's a reason we're after Maguire and not Evans.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Agreed with a lot of that until the last line.
We've encountered Mr Evans, and he was shocking for us in his last couple of seasons.
There's a reason we're after Maguire and not Evans.
Evans was an interesting one. Under ferguson I thought he was brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.