Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Deligt 60-70m, Umtiti? 50 max, Eder militiao? 50m VVD 75 m having signed a 5 year contract 6 months earlier and Liverpool receiving huge money for Coutinho in similar circumstances. What makes Maguire worth 90 and fair and realistic? It's not.

Leicester will be pricing him out of the move and standing in his growth at that price. United ain't matching 90m what so ever, 70m is steep anyway.Its the same as palace quoting 100m for Wilfried Zaha.
You're just ignoring context. De Ligt and Umtiti haven't been sold and regardless these are different circumstances. Leicester are obviously less willing to sell than the teams of the players you mention and that is reflected in the valuation. This isn't a stock or bond market. Each team has a unique set of circumstances.

Patrick08

Nothing you said explains how Leicester are greedy and United are not. Their difference in importance is obvious by the delta in their valuations.
Everything I said Explains it, which part of it you didn't seem to understand about why pogba and Maguire are different cases.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
M
It’s a concept some of these posters just can’t comprehend... I think it’s probably their lack of maturity.

Leicester are trying to build a team, and don’t want to sell him, they are entitled to ask whatever amount of money they want for him. The PL rights mean Leicester have no pressure to sell, they don’t need to balance the books.

They don’t have to sell him, just because we want to buy him.
I hear you. I don't understand how people don't get that they don't want to sell their best players.
Since they don't have to then those players will come at premium prices.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Everything I said Explains it, which part of it you didn't seem to understand about why pogba and Maguire are different cases.
Once again, the delta in their prices accounts for that, but you just want to ignore it. Maguire is valued at nearly 60-90m less. It's not like Leicester are asking for 150m. United and Leicester are in the same situation. They have attached valuations to players they don't want to lose and don't want to sell. To brand them as greedy is ludicrous

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Given that a bid of £70m was rejected I think it’s fair to use that as a good starting point.

I also don’t see how I’m moving the goal posts. When you have Neymar go for €200m. Coutinho for €130m I think it’s fair to say Pogba could command a fee somewhere in the middle. He’s just that good.

Also I hear everyone say no one knew VVD was going to be “this good” did anyone watch him play?! Koulibaly, whenever I’ve watched him play, looks a different kettle of fish. Ive never thought that when I’ve watched Maguire. Yet both are priced similarly.

Now I’m not saying maguires club shouldn’t try to get the best price for him but anything past £60m is them being greedy and it’s going to price him out of a move. Which may suit them as they’ll keep the player who, from reports, sounds like he wants a move
Coutinho and Neymar are attackers, so their prices is usually higher. You have fans saying Pogba has regressed from his Juventus days and that he's lazy and club should get rid yet you think a 60m dollar premium from his last sale is justified and Maguire's asking price is not?

Of course "anyone" watched VVD play. He played in the PL and yet I never heard a soul predicted he would look like the second coming of Maldini.

The bolded is fairly absurd and not based on anything but your personal valuation of him. Not that useful when determining if Leicester are greedy.

Jericholyte2

It’s the exact same reason Newcastle put a 50m tag on Longstaff, they don’t want to sell. Not reflective of his actually value, but out out as a marker to say you’ll have to pay ridiculous money to get him. They are entitled to demand as much as they want, but likewise Maguire, if he wants a move, is also entitled to be pissed off if they’re pricing him out of career progress.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So we are supposed to believe the reports about Maguire and not about Pogba. Don't be obtuse. United have attached at 60m premium to an unsettled player many fans say has underperformed and should be sold, yet some of you have the audacity to brand Leicester as greedy. Be serious.
No, you are the ones who is pulling some random reports out of internet. Our valuation has been 150 which means we will settle around for Coutinho money. We simply follow the market rates by comparing with what was paid for Coutinho. The comparable option here is VVD who is a much superior player than Maguire and went for 75m. So united valuation of upto 70m is very reasonable even in an inflated market.

Now , as I said they can simply say we aspire to get into top 4 and doesnt want to sell. Thats perfectly fine but when you say we will sell him for 90m is definitely being greedy.
So please stop acting ignorant.

Patrick08

You're just ignoring context. De Ligt and Umtiti haven't been sold and regardless these are different circumstances. Leicester are obviously less willing to sell than the teams of the players you mention and that is reflected in the valuation. This isn't a stock or bond market. Each team has a unique set of circumstances.
I'd like to draw your attention to the Maharez case like last two windows where he was ultimately sold for what city were willing to offer after irritating the player. If Leicester don't budge, they are getting in the way of the players career and financial development.

Mainoldo

Coutinho and Neymar are attackers, so their prices is usually higher. You have fans saying Pogba has regressed from his Juventus days and that he's lazy and club should get rid yet you think a 60m dollar premium from his last sale is justified and Maguire's asking price is not?

Of course "anyone" watched VVD play. He played in the PL and yet I never heard a soul predicted he would look like the second coming of Maldini.

The bolded is fairly absurd and not based on anything but your personal valuation of him. Not that useful when determining if Leicester are greedy.
Considering Pogba has better numbers than Coutinho and just out right a better player and regardless of what the ‘fans’ think is an upper echelon player in world football. I think the guy is justified in saying we should demand and 60£m premium on what we paid. Maguire ain’t done nothing remotely great except for be English to be considered a £90m defender. The fact that they named a price means he is sellable so I don’t get the don’t have to sell bit.

Cloud7

A lot of people seem to be saying this. Is Lindelof actually slow? I know he's not a speedster or anything but I've never noticed his pace letting him down.
I’ve been wondering this myself. I mean he’s no Smalling or Bailly who are both rapid, but I don’t recall ever looking at Lindelof and thinking “damn this guy’s slow”

Patrick08

Once again, the delta in their prices accounts for that, but you just want to ignore it. Maguire is valued at nearly 60-90m less. It's not like Leicester are asking for 150m. United and Leicester are in the same situation. They have attached valuations to players they don't want to lose and don't want to sell. To brand them as greedy is ludicrous
No they are not, Both Madrid and Psg are FFP bound this summer given what they have spent, if pogba have an explosive season there is every chance the price will be matched if their are multiple clubs involved, also pogba is being paid handsomely and living a great life financially, so even If he stays his career path isn't being blocked, this not the case with Maguire after he turns 27.

No one will ever match the price Maguire is being quoted this summer, next summer or even further, Leicester are denying him his career development and financial development when they can easily replace him with half the price the buyer is willing to offer on Maguire, united won't get any top player with his Quality for half the price.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
No, you are the ones who is pulling some random reports out of internet. Our valuation has been 150 which means we will settle around for Coutinho money. We simply follow the market rates by comparing with what was paid for Coutinho. The comparable option here is VVD who is a much superior player than Maguire and went for 75m. So united valuation of upto 70m is very reasonable even in an inflated market.

Now , as I said they can simply say we aspire to get into top 4 and doesnt want to sell. Thats perfectly fine but when you say we will sell him for 90m is definitely being greedy.
So please stop acting ignorant.
So who is your source in the club? You are also making judgments based off of random reports out of the internet. Welcome to the internet. Ironic you accuse us of "pulling random reports out of the internet" and they you follow it up with a completely arbitrary valuation.

Coutinho was considered one of the best attackers in the world at the time (not center mid) and was coming off of a very good season. Liverpool were also in the CL. As for VVD, this very forum laughed at the transfer and most said they overpaid, now his transfer is considered a bargain.

United can say the same thing to Madrid and Juve. Once again, how are Leicester greedy and United not? Better question: How is Leicester OR United greedy for simply setting an asking price? I can't believe we are actually debating this.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'd like to draw your attention to the Maharez case like last two windows where he was ultimately sold for what city were willing to offer after irritating the player. If Leicester don't budge, they are getting in the way of the players career and financial development.
That has nothing to do with greed. They simply had to adjust their asking price due to circumstance. This is common in business negotiations.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Considering Pogba has better numbers than Coutinho and just out right a better player and regardless of what the ‘fans’ think is an upper echelon player in world football. I think the guy is justified in saying we should demand and 60£m premium on what we paid. Maguire ain’t done nothing remotely great except for be English to be considered a £90m defender. The fact that they named a price means he is sellable so I don’t get the don’t have to sell bit.
This is not accurate. IIRC Coutinho was on a torrid pace before he got sold in Jan (I think he had something like double digit goals and assists in all comps in a half season). I remember vividly how everyone predicted Liverpool's demise once he left.

Regardless that isn't my point. I don't think United are being greedy, but if you don't think United are greedy you can't in good faith say Leicester are. Maguire isn't some unknown rubbish defender. He's an England international who played well at the WC and is coming off a good season. Leicester are not in dire financial straights and have ambitions for the top 4. Attaching a valuation to ward off interest in an important player you want to keep is not greed but any stretch.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Since you are believing the reports and using them in here in support of your points, here is another one which is going down the same way as Maharez.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/13/harr...blocking-manchester-united-man-city-10271142/
I'm extremely confused as to how you think his proves greed. It just means the player want to leave, which is fine. But that doesn't change the fact that he's under contract and Leicester set a valuation based on their set of circumstances. If he agitates for a move, they will probably have to lower that valuation but that doesn't imply greed at all.

Mainoldo

This is not accurate. IIRC Coutinho was on a torrid pace before he got sold in Jan (I think he had something like double digit goals and assists in all comps in a half season). I remember vividly how everyone predicted Liverpool's demise once he left.

Regardless that isn't my point. I don't think United are being greedy, but if you don't think United are greedy you can't in good faith say Leicester are. Maguire isn't some unknown rubbish defender. He's an England international who played well at the WC and is coming off a good season. Leicester are not in dire financial straights and have ambitions for the top 4. Attaching a valuation to ward off interest in an important player you want to keep is not greed but any stretch.
I can’t remember how good Coutinho’s season was tbh as far as number go. I was just referring to here and now, but at the time Liverpool was justified in asking for that amount when you consider the fees of Neymar and Dembele... but I don’t see what valuation of reference Leicester are using to say Maguire is worth what they are requesting.

Tel074

Spot on with this . People quoting what VVD cost is ridiculous because it almost two years ago and transfer fees get higher and higher . Plus Leicester do not need the money but they do need their best defender . I personally do not care if we pay 80/90 million because if he is what Ole and co think we need then the fee doesn't matter

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Some fantastic arrogance on display on these last few pages, the situation is the same as it’s been all summer we have set an asking price meet it or don’t but stop moaning about it.

A few people don’t seem to have adjusted to the new financial reality of the Premier League and that United cannot just pluck who they like from other clubs anymore

bond19821982

So who is your source in the club? You are also making judgments based off of random reports out of the internet. Welcome to the internet. Ironic you accuse us of "pulling random reports out of the internet" and they you follow it up with a completely arbitrary valuation.

Coutinho was considered one of the best attackers in the world at the time (not center mid) and was coming off of a very good season. Liverpool were also in the CL. As for VVD, this very forum laughed at the transfer and most said they overpaid, now his transfer is considered a bargain.

United can say the same thing to Madrid and Juve. Once again, how are Leicester greedy and United not? Better question: How is Leicester OR United greedy for simply setting an asking price? I can't believe we are actually debating this.
Mate - you have no idea whats happening in this area, do you?

Our 70 m bid was reported by BBC - most reputable one available.
Now where this 180m coming from ?a DM report with lots of "if" and "then". Now you tell me which one is a random report? Jeez, can't believe I debating this.

"Coutinho not being CM" or "Liverpool in CL "or "forum laughing at VVD" has feck all with the argument. Pogba just had the best season for us even better than Coutinho's last full season (stats all competitions) . Its fair to expect the same price for him as well. If we are insisting for 180m, yes we are being greedy. The fact that we don't have any proof that we are demanding 180m makes your argument completely void.

bond19821982

Just hope we move on to other targets. He can stay with them for the reported 90m

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Some fantastic arrogance on display on these last few pages, the situation is the same as it’s been all summer we have set an asking price meet it or don’t but stop moaning about it.

A few people don’t seem to have adjusted to the new financial reality of the Premier League and that United cannot just pluck who they like from other clubs anymore
Yeah but if you quote absurd prices for someone who is not even best at his club, then eventually the player will agitate if he wants to move.

cyberman

Their valuation isn't much higher than our bid? They're not pricing us out at all so I don't know why you keep repeating this. 90m is a negotiation tactic, if this isn't done for 80 then we may shut the transfer market down.

Marcus

We should look to clubs which need to sell, i.e., not those in the Premiership. Could be foreign leagues etc. It does not make economic sense to buy from other clubs we are competing with unless we need to weaken them. In this period, we have no business trying to weaken other clubs since we are hardly competitive ourselves.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Mate - you have no idea whats happening in this area, do you?

Our 70 m bid was reported by BBC - most reputable one available.
Now where this 180m coming from ?a DM report with lots of "if" and "then". Now you tell me which one is a random report? Jeez, can't believe I debating this.

"Coutinho not being CM" or "Liverpool in CL "or "forum laughing at VVD" has feck all with the argument. Pogba just had the best season for us even better than Coutinho's last full season (stats all competitions) . Its fair to expect the same price for him as well. If we are insisting for 180m, yes we are being greedy. The fact that we don't have any proof that we are demanding 180m makes your argument completely void.
Is there any proof United are demanding 150m besides similar media reports? The point is neither team are greedy by setting a consistent asking price. This notion that fees paid for Coutinho and VVD 18 months ago are the only determinant to a reasonable asking fee for Pogba and Maguire is silly and devoid of context. That makes sense if we're playing Football Manager but unfortunately this is the real world.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
You’ll get him for approx 80 million I reckon and if you’re willing to pay that, then that’s what he’s worth.

This is absolutely right, PL clubs rarely need to sell anymore, the only reason Leicester will let him go is if he demands it and that looks to be happening.

For the record, I think he’s a great player, he can pass out well and run your defence, he’ll instantly become your best defender, surely that’s worth the cash.

My biggest worry is that Leicester will then buy Dunk from us, hopefully we’ll ask for 120 million! Or at least a good chunk of that Maguire fee.

dasty

I’ve been wondering this myself. I mean he’s no Smalling or Bailly who are both rapid, but I don’t recall ever looking at Lindelof and thinking “damn this guy’s slow”
Never took note of Lindelof's apparent lack of pace before but when I was on here I see people constantly talk about it so I was doubting myself. Glad to see someone else who thinks otherwise. Personally I think he's not rapid but definitely not slow, especially for a CB.

foolsgold

Pace in central defenders is over rated, it's used to compensate for poor position.

The very fast never develop the footballing intelligence and positional sense when young because they don't need it, pace get's them out of trouble, but that can leave them exposed when they play at the top level.

(Not saying being slow is better, but having to develop an all round game is better, Vidic was a fantastic example of that)

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Pace in central defenders is over rated, it's used to compensate for poor position.

The very fast never develop the footballing intelligence and positional sense when young because they don't need it, pace get's them out of trouble, but that can leave them exposed when they play at the top level.

(Not saying being slow is better, but having to develop an all round game is better, Vidic was a fantastic example of that)
Rio was pacey and had the intelligence to match.

Patrick08

I'm extremely confused as to how you think his proves greed. It just means the player want to leave, which is fine. But that doesn't change the fact that he's under contract and Leicester set a valuation based on their set of circumstances. If he agitates for a move, they will probably have to lower that valuation but that doesn't imply greed at all.

Will Leicester pay 60m for Lewis Dunk from Brighton?

redIndianDevil

Pretty useless discussing who is greedy and who isn't. The moment we were quoted 90m, we should have said goodbye and moved on to realistic targets.

We should make it clear that we won't get our pants pulled down every time we sign a player. It's time to start scouting a bit better and make sharp signings.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We bid £70m. If Leicester wants more then we should move on. But let’s face it, there is no realistic target. The others are like Dias for £60m & Milenkovic for around £50m. Both of them are still very young & unproven. We might should just have faith in Tuanzebe if those two are our only realistic targets.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We wanted CB from last season and with 1 year preparation we couldn't find better CBs than Maguire says more about our recruitment team (whoever is involved). It was obvious from last season that he won't be available for good fee, so why just keep on bidding for him instead of finding alternatives, their availability.

Regarding "arrogance", it's hilarious that other fans can't come to terms with the fact that in a site with 1000s of ManUtd fans, you will always find few posters who will be over defensive about their club and can't think from any point of view except ManUtd's.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Their valuation isn't much higher than our bid? They're not pricing us out at all so I don't know why you keep repeating this. 90m is a negotiation tactic, if this isn't done for 80 then we may shut the transfer market down.
So an asking price of a little over 20% of United's first bid is greed? I'm confused to the point you're making.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
No they are not, Both Madrid and Psg are FFP bound this summer given what they have spent, if pogba have an explosive season there is every chance the price will be matched if their are multiple clubs involved, also pogba is being paid handsomely and living a great life financially, so even If he stays his career path isn't being blocked, this not the case with Maguire after he turns 27.

No one will ever match the price Maguire is being quoted this summer, next summer or even further, Leicester are denying him his career development and financial development when they can easily replace him with half the price the buyer is willing to offer on Maguire, united won't get any top player with his Quality for half the price.
Don’t understand this. It was Leicester not United that took the chance on him when he was at Hull. In that sense, Leicester is promoting his development, banking on it in fact. You make this statement, but won’t hear that Utd are blocking Pogba’s development, this is fallacy, as Real Madrid have been far more successful in the short term than Utd. So if what you say is true and Leicester are blocking Harry’s development, then it is a very comparable situation with Pogba.

I cannot move away from the thought that this is a big club entitlement issue which basically comes to the conclusion of "because he should, we are Utd, just say thank you"

It has been sagely stated many times during this thread, Leicester are building a project and do not want to sell as this impairs that project. As such a high price is set, as with Longstaff, and presumably as with Pogba.

Simples no?

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Not irrelevant to the context we are discussing.
Of course it is irrelevant. Dunk, Tarkowski or whoever are not part of any deal for Maguire.

Whatever Leicester do with a fee, should Harry be sold, is nothing to do with Utd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolaholic

Still don't understand how Leicester are demanding even more for Maguire than they accepted for their previous best and POTY winning player just a year ago,from another filthy rich Manc club...

Mahrez was a better player and had achieved much more than Maguire has. Only thing that comes to mind is the English tax

Status
Not open for further replies.