Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB-7

£8M Andrew Robertson says hi
What would you say are the chances of signing another player from a relegated side, and have the season Robertson is having? People love to use one off situation to point out that you can get something on the cheap, not saying how hard it will be to get similar transfer in.

Something like, you don't need to spend money to win the PL, like Leicester did, not pointing out that it's one off that will likely happen again once every 100 years.

On the Maguire case, only reason why I would prefer him over De Ligt is that he is more mature and with a bit more PL experienced. De Ligt is quite inexperienced, breaks defense line too often, makes rush decisions. Seems like he wants to live up to the hype. He might improve the decision making with time, but I'm not sure we have the time to wait for a youngster to develop for year or two. I know, I know, Jones and Smalling.

One of the things I've noticed with De Light is that often he goes chasing the CF, leaving acres of space between him and his defensive partner, something that Spurs noticed and used to score 2 goals down the middle.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
If we end up buying this guy, people on here going to be shocked when Maguire replaces Lindelof instead of Smalling.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He is good on the ball, we can only dream of one of our Cbs playing the below passes against City. His acceleration and reading of defensive situations is what worries me. Him and Smalling would be decent don't see him and Lindelof having enough speed especially if we want squeeze up the pitch and press more.

Allas8

Surely Koulibaly has already been crossed off? If not, then do we really prefer Maguire to him?
Maguire has also been crossed off, Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah joins us again when pre-season starts, they will be given a chance before splashing big on a new CB.

He is good on the ball, we can only dream of one of our Cbs playing the below passes against City. His acceleration and reading of defensive situations is what worries me. Him and Smalling would be decent don't see him and Lindelof having enough speed especially if we want squeeze up the pitch and press more.

He seems to enjoy a big hoof upfield.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ole's transfer policy seems to be the grand total of "are they English?", "are they relatively young?", and "do they look pretty good?" so far.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He seems to enjoy a big hoof upfield.
Keep in mind when he played under Claude Puel he wasn't encouraged to play out from the back as much. When he plays for England or for Leicester since Rodgers took over he's given more freedom. He's superb at bringing the ball out and a very good passer of the ball. Basically what we lack.

Sterling Archer

Ole's transfer policy seems to be the grand total of "are they English?", "are they relatively young?", and "do they look pretty good?" so far.
Kind of a jump there. The statement is based on rumors. But very selective rumors. You could just as easily go the opposite route considering we're also linked to rabiot, Bruno, Felix, de ligt, Koulibaly, muenier and oblak..

So..not English...not just young..not just pretty good looking...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Maguire has also been crossed off, Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah joins us again when pre-season starts, they will be given a chance before splashing big on a new CB.
As if we are going to try Fosu Mensah at CB next season.

Maguire, Koulibaly or somebod of that quality is a must

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I mean, I’d rather Maguire than no-one. I’m open to Axel staying, however I can’t help feel a loan would be better for him instead of being 5th choice here and playing hardly ever.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's good in the air, given our defending of set pieces this year I'd take him just for that!

zenith

He's a good defender but really not sure how he'll hold up in terms of consistency throughout the season, especially when the spotlight is on his performance week in week out. As for a price benchmark we should consider that 75 million got pool VVD and if we could expect performances of a similar level .

doriandun

I very much doubt it. Both are comfortable with the ball but painfully slow. Maguire is better in air which is a good thing and something Lindelof lack but you don't spend 80m to end up with a central defence which can't counter pacey players. Not to forget that neither players are leaders.

If we want a tall lump whose comfortable with the ball then we should go for Joachim Andersen. He shares Maguire's weaknesses and strengths but he's younger and he's cheaper.
How often do you see Virgil use his pace, as compared to say Bailly, the answer is rarely, because he is able to read the game, look at the game between us and Juventus backline, there defender were not speed merchants, but intelligent enough to read the flow of the game.

Joachim is a good shout.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I can't believe the new McGuire thread has got to 11 pages without me even noticing.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Your forum name appears accurate

sp_107

On talk sport drive with Adrian Durham and Darren Gough they were discussing about maguire and said he should leave if ManCity comes claling but stay at Leicester if UTD are the only club made an offer, I was so furious and same time felt so sad as it made me realise how far we have fallen behind.
They might be right but as a UTD fan I couldn't take it ….Please god do something and make our club great again. If players like Harry Maguire think twice joining UTD then something seriously wrong at my club.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
His first and only signing is Welsh.
Oh yeah, sorry... "British".
Your forum name appears accurate
lolz.
Shocking post!

Beat me to it. Seems the anti-English brigade aren’t even literate enough to know that Wales is a different country!
I'm Welsh.
that's a lie

Seriously though is it not a little concerning that most of the players we've had actual proper concrete links to are just British and relatively young, so far? I'm all for signing more home-grown players but surely our vast scouting network can do a bit more. We'll see.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd be happy if we signed Maguire. We need a ball playing centre back, and the acquisition of Maguire would make our build up play a lot better. Not only has he got the ability to find a player in between the lines, he also has the ability to drive up the pitch and beat the press if/when needed.

Kag

On talk sport drive with Adrian Durham and Darren Gough they were discussing about maguire and said he should leave if ManCity comes claling but stay at Leicester if UTD are the only club made an offer, I was so furious and same time felt so sad as it made me realise how far we have fallen behind.
They might be right but as a UTD fan I couldn't take it ….Please god do something and make our club great again. If players like Harry Maguire think twice joining UTD then something seriously wrong at my club.
Adrian Durham and Darren Gough have bills to play. They want you to give them a bell and argue with them.

Classical Mechanic

Oh yeah, sorry... "British".

lolz.

I'm Welsh.
that's a lie

Seriously though is it not a little concerning that most of the players we've had actual proper concrete links to are just British and relatively young, so far? I'm all for signing more home-grown players but surely our vast scouting network can do a bit more. We'll see.
In pretty sure we are signing Bruno Fernandes for one.

Lynty

At least that would be a 'transfer policy', currently we don't have one.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This fee is making me appreciate Denayer's season and wonder if we shouldn't try him instead.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.