Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

If Manchester United were properly managed then we would have moved away from this mess long ago. The reality is that we're getting close to the transfer deadline and all we have signed is a RB from Crystal Palace and some kid from the Championship. Meanwhile Herrera has left, DDG has yet to sign a new contract, Pogba and Lukaku are unhappy & Matic is a year older. We're a frigging mess.
And we can only cover one transfer at a time.

WPMUFC

:devil:
i'll never take these comments at face value unless we get a video soon. If anything, it suggests the LCFC backstabbing has begun because we've likely got a deal almost done.

First you get the Skysports comments, then you get some whispers of a bust up. Feels like club officials trying to cut ties and turn fans against him.

Eric's Seagull

Which is annoying cause prior to the season finishing, £200m was a figure going around. 3 months later spent £75m and we are told that we must sell to buy?

Whereas Chelsea with a transfer ban spend £100m albeit Pulisic was in Jan.

I do not get how we do our transfers, surely they must have someone in the club who can sort this out?
I've read different figures including £200m and £100m recently. Agree with your part in bold, which baffles me mate :houllier:

RedNed77

The arrogance towards Leicester and “smaller” clubs really makes me question some of our fans ways of thinking. Some of it is toe curlingly embarrassing.

Litch

Nah, they sold Kante and Mahrez with ease who were even more integral than Maguire to them.

We are getting mugged of because we are United and he’s English. Don’t get me wrong though, he’s a great player. Back to the point, I think West Ham would be harder to deal with.
Mahrez certainly wasn't ease as he had to wait until the follow season and even then I thought City had to pay a premium for him. Kante was different and I genuinely think people underestimated his worth plus he wanted to leave which is different.
West Ham......you are joking right. They have always been a selling club and nothing's changed.

Eric's Seagull

Woody can only do one transfer at a time, mate and that takes a couple of weeks. So would not like to depend on him getting any transfer over the line the last day.
It concerns me that he takes so long to complete transfers. I agree with your point in bold and that is something I fear, that he will take so long on these transfers that they will not get finished on time and we will miss out on desperately needed signings mate.

Fox1884

Supports
Leicester City
Mahrez certainly wasn't ease as he had to wait until the follow season and even then I thought City had to pay a premium for him. Kante was different and I genuinely think people underestimated his worth plus he wanted to leave which is different.
West Ham......you are joking right. They have always been a selling club and nothing's changed.
You are correct, it took Mahrez a year to get his move, he initially made it known in 2017 he wanted to leave, got pissy when we rejected a derisory bid from Roma, then went and sat in an airport on deadline hoping for a move. Kicked off again when we rejected bids late in January 18 from Man City and he took a week off because not getting his move effected him “mentally”, and finally got his move for a record fee for both clubs

Kante had a £20m release clause for clubs with european football, Chelsea offered £32m as they had no European football so we snapped it up

Drinkwater was sold because £35m for him was ridiculous

Yes we sell our key players, but only when the deal is right for us

Fox1884

Supports
Leicester City
ahh ok. thank you for clarification :)
Yes definitely ignore anything from “SeanfromEnderby”, he is a well known parody/troll account amongst Leicester fans.

He definitely has some link with someone as he got very good at announcing our correct lineup prior to it being announced, but definitely not on the level of being informed about transfer moves

Last edited by a moderator:

stevoc

1. Leicester are extremely ambitious.
  2. Leicester don’t want to sell him.
  3. Leicester don’t need the money.
  4. Maguire isn’t forcing a move (likely because he’d prefer to go to Man City)
  5. Leicester wouldn’t need to buy a replacement.
  6. Hull City have a sell-on clause, so the higher the fee the better for us.
  7. Leicester rate Maguire very highly.
  8. He’s one of the best CBs in the league and a full England international.
  9. He’s entering his prime and has potential to be top class.
  10. You’ve just spent £50m on a RB with one season in the Prem.
  11. Leicester won’t, and can’t be bullied.
  12. There’s 3 weeks until the window closes and the price will start going up.
What is this bullying nonsense you guys keep mentioning? How does a football club get bullied?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The arrogance towards Leicester and “smaller” clubs really makes me question some of our fans ways of thinking. Some of it is toe curlingly embarrassing.
No it’s just understanding the order of things.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is madness, you surely can't be serious? Mata/Lingard? By your logic, we do not need a CB at all, we have plenty of options there, too: Smalling, Lindelöf, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Tuanzebe...

RW and CM are both more important than a CB. We had zero attacking threat through the right last season and that's not going to change if we rely on Mata and Lingard.
But might change with Greenwood/James. Probably will change. Our attack was pretty similar in numbers to Spurs', Arsenals and Chelsea's. Our defence was bottom half in the league statistically. It was woeful. That's from defensive positioning in midfield, control through the midfield but also the centerbacks. I'm telling you, if we signed Maguire and a top all round mid or defensive mid, our attack would look miles better. Not to mention that for the right wing long term, I'm pretty convinced we want Sancho and just Sancho and he's actually open to joining us, he just wanted to stay for now.

BrunoLCFC

Supports
Leicester City
Unfortunately the Star have sensationalised a story claiming Rodgers said we won’t be bullied and hey presto fans jump on it. Happens on every forum everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bestietom

65 goals scored with 54 against, tells me the backs didn't get enough cover from midfield, and the forwards didn't get enough service.
If we just strengthen the backline/ forwardline, and Leave the midfield area, we will just have the same problem again next season.
We need a more dynamic midfield that can be both defensive and offensive, and can control a game. Too often last season, we lost out in this area.

Litch

Harry is better than what we got but you could argue so we're a number of players before they got here that turned to shite. Signing for us might increase your bank balance, earn you a lucrative boot deal but in regard to progressing your football, it's becoming a graveyard of players that haven't reach anything like their potential. Most players we sell (when we can) leave at a significant loss.

I'd think long and hard before coming here at the moment as whilst there's no doubt it's a bigger club, if it's for football reasons at the mo I'd probably stay at Leicester as I like what they are doing there...

Litch

You are correct, it took Mahrez a year to get his move, he initially made it known in 2017 he wanted to leave, got pissy when we rejected a derisory bid from Roma, then went and sat in an airport on deadline hoping for a move. Kicked off again when we rejected bids late in January 18 from Man City and he took a week off because not getting his move effected him “mentally”, and finally got his move for a record fee for both clubs

Kante had a £20m release clause for clubs with european football, Chelsea offered £32m as they had no European football so we snapped it up

Drinkwater was sold because £35m for him was ridiculous

Yes we sell our key players, but only when the deal is right for us
Yep and this is no different. Kante release clause of 20m, could there be a better bargain than that? Leicester have no pressure to sell and Harry is too much of a pro to be a dick like Mahrez. Utd might be a big club but the way we do transfers far from reflects it. Yet again for the fifth season the transfer clock rapidly ticking down and we are trying to save money where we shouldn't be yet more that happy to lose money where we should retaining players that should have be shipped out years ago.
I do wonder how serious we are about signing Harry anyway given the fact that we have kept so many CB's at the club. Some of this is just smoke and mirrors I think and I wonder if Ole's mandate was to get the best out of what he's got or sell before anymore come in....

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I think that Brendan Rodgers is putting spokes in our wheels and Ed is a softy.

stevoc

It is a bit weird for a massively rich club to play victim and talk about being bullied.
I was wondering the same thing
I find all that sort of talk baffling to be honest.

Does Ed Woodward start calling people at Leicester names down the phone because they won't agree to a price, and threaten to drive down and nip them or something?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
£70m was more than reasonable & and also it’s respectful towards Leicester. I don’t see it as bullying. If there is anything silly is Leicester’s demand fees to be above van Dijk.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I know deep down this deal will get done, but every day I don't hear any updates from one of the rank 1 reporters my nausea at not having made a bid for anyone increases.

I find all that sort of talk baffling to be honest.

Does Ed Woodward start calling people at Leicester names down the phone because they won't agree to a price, and threaten to drive down and nip them or something?
I agree, we've followed the protocol. We haven't tapped him up or anything so I'm not sure what their problem is.

Fox outside the box

I don't know why he can't release the ball quickly but it doesn't suit our high tempo style of play especially cause he usually has options before releasing it.
His ball playing ability compared to Carrick is very bang average no arguments there
Matic is the type of player who should be the core in a well set up team not the one to build your team around like a Pogba fact that there's so many ifs and buts shows how poor he is
The way we play has an awful lot to do with him not being able to release the ball. We have a few players who are good runners but far too often, we stand about. Matic is a capable player and he's a good passer. He can be upgraded on as we move forward but we're more than capable of finishing top 4 with Matic in the team.

Even against Leeds, you could see how the movement of those around him helped him in the middle. There were a couple of occasions of 'pass and move' where Matic was involved and it led to us getting forward. In a team with more energy, movement and pressing, which is what we look to be focusing on, he's capable of playing in midfield for us. Good players can look bad in the wrong team and setup. Pogba suffers from this as well. He gets so much stick because people expect him to tower over the rest of the pitch and make things happen but when he's marked out of the game and our tempo is slow with people waiting around for the ball into feet, he has a really hard time.

romufc

I have a feeling this won't happen, the longer it goes on less likely Leicester will sell. If they get £80m in the last week for him, they will have to over pay for a CB too, with no time to negotiate they might price us out the deal, if they already havent done so.

Realistically, no club (unless Utd) will want to sell its best players for cheap. So they club who is desperate needs to cough up more than the players value.

EireRed_GS

This one is actually doing my head in now. When you look at the DeLigt deal at 67m, a CL finalist and one of the best DF in the world... Leicester are actually taking the piss out of Woodward & United massively. Im sure it will prob eventually be done, at massive cost to us.

I think the most frustrating thing is how we are absolutely zero business along side this while it drags out. What kind of numptys do we have that they cant work on simultaneous deals!? Fernandes must be losing the plot wondering why we havnt came in for him yet.

Long gone are the days when deals are done over about 2/3 days of talks & medicals etc.

Raw

Leicester are actually taking the piss out of Woodward & United massively
They're well within the right to take the piss out of us to be honest. They don't want to sell him, Maguire isn't kicking up a fuss and they don't really need the money.

ChaddyP

I'm Thai, i known from a source who are a HIGHER LEVEL LCFC admin board (One of Khun tob team). He confirm me that:

1 MUFC is only club that McGuire considerable to move for.
2 MUFC have offer for McGuire, but not a digits that show on a newspaper. (he tells me it not pure 70M GBP but it is X+ BIG-add-on = 70)
3 LCFC Admin board will agree the move if total package is more than 75M GBP (WR). (I ask them if it is 76M? He said it's OK).
4 He tell me that Ed Woodward known this well, and it seem he very arrogant with LCFC board when deal with.
5 There are untrue/lies on Maddison report.

This is all i known.
Cool now tell us about Harry Maguire

EireRed_GS

They're well within the right to take the piss out of us to be honest. They don't want to sell him, Maguire isn't kicking up a fuss and they don't really need the money.
100% mate, and what annoys me even more. Woodward should have told them long ago, no chance lads, wise up. And went elsewhere, even Toby A for 25m in meantime to give himself some leeway to find a young gem. But nah, Woodward is a absolute mug

Steven-UK

This one is actually doing my head in now. When you look at the DeLigt deal at 67m, a CL finalist and one of the best DF in the world... Leicester are actually taking the piss out of Woodward & United massively. Im sure it will prob eventually be done, at massive cost to us.

I think the most frustrating thing is how we are absolutely zero business along side this while it drags out. What kind of numptys do we have that they cant work on simultaneous deals!? Fernandes must be losing the plot wondering why we havnt came in for him yet.

Long gone are the days when deals are done over about 2/3 days of talks & medicals etc.
I actually think Maquire will go to City, and that alone could be down to how we are handling our business these days (or not). We just ooze desperation at the moment. I think with DeLigt, he wanted to go to Juve; I just think there are more attractive options for top players rather than coming to United now, and that is a situation we have created all by ourselves. On top of that we are rewarding players who helped us get into this dire position we are now in. It is not a great advert for attracting players.

As you say, long gone are those days.

Raw

100% mate, and what annoys me even more. Woodward should have told them long ago, no chance lads, wise up. And went elsewhere, even Toby A for 25m in meantime to give himself some leeway to find a young gem. But nah, Woodward is a absolute mug
Annoys me even more how we had chances to sign him before but didn't, only to start trying when he's worth £80m+. Such a joke :lol:

foxedup

Supports
Leicester

You paid £50m for a right back from Palace without a cap. What De Ligt cost has nothing to do with anything, they aren't premier league clubs, Ajax are a selling club happy to take the money and oh he's not English.

"Leicester are taking the piss out of us" you do realise he's our player and we're under no obligation to just accept the first bid that comes in before EireRed_GS thinks we should be happy with it.

We are owned by billionaires with ambitions of being a top 6 club, I think people need to get their heads around us not being a club like Burnley happy to just take profit with no ambition.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Said defender, mate! There's a reason he was on the wing for a while!
Because he took about 6 games to acclimatise... there is a reason he won player of the year and that's because he was a brilliant all round player.

Fosu-Mens

£70m was more than reasonable & and also it’s respectful towards Leicester. I don’t see it as bullying. If there is anything silly is Leicester’s demand fees to be above van Dijk.
If there is anything silly here it is MUFC going after him, unless OGS is planning to defend in a similar way as Mourinho wanted. Then he would fit the style of play. Still not worth £70m though.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
To be honest. 60 £ mill is a good and right price for Maguire and Leicester. Dont be too greedy.
City bought John Stones from Everton. A premier league proven and promising cb. For 47.5 mill £ + 2.5 add on. No way Maguire is 20 £ mill better than Stones.

Maguire is better than John Stones in the air, but on the ground Maguire is no way near Stones ball control and skills. So City was right to bid 60 £ mill. Right. Max for him. Take or leave it.

And Van Dijk cost Liverpool 75 mill £. Its a big chance Van Dijk can win Ballon Dor this year. A World class CB. And Maguire is not near world class. 60 £ mill and 15 mill lower than Van Dijk is the right price. Maguire should cost as much as Stones and Kyle Walker price. Maguire is max on the level of Stones and Kyle Walker. In theirs each position. Kyle Walker is a really good RB and close to top level. And City paid 50 mill £ with add ons for Walker and Spurs.

Sum up and conclusion. 50-60 £ mill with add on is the right and good price for Maguire. And Leicester shall be satisfy with that. And they only paid Hull City 12 mill, potentially rising to £17 million with add-ons. And two years after. You are not satisfy with 60 £ mill?or United 70 £ mill. Clearly overpay.
Well we aren't satisfy with that mate.

Stones was absolutely abysmal for Everton the season he left, mistake after mistake after mistake. There is a reason you and Man City made a bid.

As for VVD... could you sign him for £75m now? No. He'd probably cost you £100m+, so what he went for a year ago is a totally moot point.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If there is anything silly here it is MUFC going after him, unless OGS is planning to defend in a similar way as Mourinho wanted. Then he would fit the style of play. Still not worth £70m though.
He’s better than what we have at the moment. Going after him isn’t silly but looking for improvement.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Because he took about 6 games to acclimatise... there is a reason he won player of the year and that's because he was a brilliant all round player.
Yeah and that's why I specifically said defender. Because his contribution was a lot to do with his attacking as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.