Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

I absolutely support you in critique against Lindelof, let's sell him but Jones and Smalling going with him. This is the only fair deal I can think of right now.

I'm delighted with Smalling in the past but right now he doesn't seem to understand how much improvement on his ball control skills and passing ability would help in becoming a cracking player for any team and when Southgate criticized him he was still in denial. That for me doesn't spark my confidence in him.

He's still better than most of our current defenders but what kind a compliment is that, seriously...
Well that’s the thing, Smalling and Jones are not the problem. That they are our best defenders is the problem. And they are not to blame for that. I just find it annoying how they are continually ridiculed when others are as much of an issue or a bigger one.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Maguire would enable us to let Lindelof play RCB, where he is so much better on the ball than at LCB where he is just decent. We would then have two excellent ballplayers at CB.
He would also add a real threat from set pieces which disappeared with Fellaini. He is a really good header of the ball offensively.
Would take De Ligt or Koulibaly before him but if that is not possible its an upgrade on what we already have. I rather have him before Aldeweireld.
I also think that United dont care that much about the size of the transfer fee. 70m for a young English international defender is not much in todays market. We will recoup most of the money if he does not make it here. I think its more that the club wants has other preferred options and that they want to try to close those first.
Maguires englands best centre back, better than Stones, people saying his slightly better than Smalling and Jones, can i have some of what youve been smoking?

He brings aerial dominance, how often do we look weak defending set pieces? Hes a huge threat at attacking set pieces as we see alot for England, as somebody said he’l bring more balance to the defence being left footed allowing Lindelof to move to the right, hes a brilliant passer of a ball and often creates attacks with his passing, and his ability to bring the ball out from the back is very underated, add in that he loves a tackle some he makes make you wince, then theres not alot not too like. Ive watched him tons from his time at Hull City and hes one of the most underated players in the league and definatley on this board.

The price seems steep, but is it? In this day and age this is what you pay, clubs dont need to sell so buyers need to make offers they cant refuse, the sooner fans shed the bargain hunt mentality the better. Plus feck it we barely spent last year so who cares if the Glazers have to dig deep, itl be worth it just to see the vast improvement to out defence with Maguire in it
I agree with all the above.

He would fit perfectly together with Lindelöf and as many of you mention he’s criminally underrated. Another important aspect is that we need leaders in our squad and finding a young English talent with authority and presence is worth a fortune. Since the days of Keane and Ferdinand we have missed that kind of personality, someone who’s willing to walk the extra mile and is not afraid to be vocal when necessary.

I will be more then happy if we buy Maguire.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Well that’s the thing, Smalling and Jones are not the problem. That they are our best defenders is the problem. And they are not to blame for that. I just find it annoying how they are continually ridiculed when others are as much of an issue or a bigger one.
It's question of standards and I don't think Jones and Smalling should escape criticism because Rojo is worse then them, it's simply creating the same space for the same problems occuring in past years. Hiding behind worse players to avoid criticsm is probably why they'll never exceed and raise club's standards any higher.

Hey, look at me, I'm better than this disabled kid, now let me play for international team or I'll hit back at the manager... There's no reasoning with that kind of attitude.

At least he could get back to his previous form from few good years back, but that's even hard for him these days.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And yet our defence was much better the year before when Lindelof played less. Not that I’m saying Lindelof is a bad player because for a few months he played very well but he started most games. In fact in the 22 league games Jones started the season prior we kept 15 clean sheets.
Imho it’s no coincidence that we shipped so many goals last season when lindelof was a first choice (obviously there were other factors too).Ole doesn’t trust ANY of his cbs. It’s why he’s trying to sign DeLigt AND Maguire.

ottosec

Depressing transfer. Surely there is someone better at that kind of money?

Being better than Jones, Stones or Smalling is not an 80M worth achievement.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Imho it’s no coincidence that we shipped so many goals last season when lindelof was a first choice (obviously there were other factors too).Ole doesn’t trust ANY of his cbs. It’s why he’s trying to sign DeLigt AND Maguire.
That would be a true rebuild in full sense of the word.

Ekeke

Never in a million years is he worth anywhere near as much as VVD was. He'd be a fine addition at the appropriate price

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Never in a million years is he worth anywhere near as much as VVD was. He'd be a fine addition at the appropriate price
Player prices have gone bloody stupid. A £50 million rated player last summer is going for £90 million this summer.

Ekeke

Player prices have gone bloody stupid. A £50 million rated player last summer is going for £90 million this summer.
Who?

The same was said last summer. But by and large clubs didnt buy the players where the clubs wanted those grossly inflated fees.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Nah I reckon one is a smokescreen for the other. Woody has done it loads of times in the past, like Morata and Lukaku.

For all we know he's targeting neither and we'll announce someone we weren't even linked with out of the blue.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Who?

The same was said last summer. But by and large clubs didnt buy the players where the clubs wanted those grossly inflated fees.
No one in particular, I was just talking generally. The way things are going the likes of Maguire will be valued at £150 million next summer.

beingshe7don

Maguire is at best worth 50m (not more than that). He's definitely not at the same level Van Dijk. United should go all in for Koulibaly if we don't bag De Ligt.

Alabaster Codify7

Maguire personifies how badly run this club is.

We could have bought him from Hull as a prospect for comparative peanuts. We could have bought him last summer when Jose wanted him for avout 20m less than being quoted now.

Woodward didn't think he was better than what we had. IE..... didn't wanna spend.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Maguire personifies how badly run this club is.

We could have bought him from Hull as a prospect for comparative peanuts. We could have bought him last summer when Jose wanted him for avout 20m less than being quoted now.

Woodward didn't think he was better than what we had. IE..... didn't wanna spend.
BIB actually you couldn't, you bid more than £60m last summer and we told you to piss off

Ballache

Supports
Martial
BIB actually you couldn't, you bid more than £60m last summer and we told you to piss off
You shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Leicester, or any other team for that matter, can ask for whatever they feel represents good value for them. Either pay the money, like all the big clubs do, or leave it.

Cathy Ferguson

I would rather spend 80m on Koulibaily, who has great pace, than 65-70m on Maguire. I hope that we sign at least one of them.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
You shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Leicester, or any other team for that matter, can ask for whatever they feel represents good value for them. Either pay the money, like all the big clubs do, or leave it.
exactly, Maguire, if you believe the press, is worth £80m to us, either pay it or sod off and stop briefing your pet journalist plants to try and unsettle him.

Whenever United or Liverpool are interested in the player the "Journalists" pushing to get the deal done are pathetic
And now he's worth 90m.... I don't know how you think you've proven me wrong here? 70m would have got him last summer you plum.
see above the price we have apparently set is £80m you plumb

fps

No one in particular, I was just talking generally. The way things are going the likes of Maguire will be valued at £150 million next summer.
But this only happens because the clubs have enough money from the TV deals that they don't need to take the transfer money. Then players who are perfectly happy are up for grabs, but only at a fee more to the selling club's liking. If someone's insane enough to pay it, that's their business. Mostly, however, they don't.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
But this only happens because the clubs have enough money from the TV deals that they don't need to take the transfer money. Then players who are perfectly happy are up for grabs, but only at a fee more to the selling club's liking. If someone's insane enough to pay it, that's their business. Mostly, however, they don't.
correct the Premier League is a sellers market and will be until the bubble bursts

Yagami

Good post resistant
Pay the fee! I'm confident he'll have been worth it when he's finished his career here with us :angel:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’m all for him being part of the squad. Him, Lindelof and a worldie would be great. I want that fecking worldie though.

Edit: I’ll cream my pants if we buy all the above and WanB.

Rocknrolla69er

While were on about players we should if bought from Hull, Bowen wouldnt be a bad gamble for the right wing spot, very clever player, johnny on the spot type, good movement and can dribble well and finish

Could be got for £15m easily, and im convinced would have more end product than Lingaard, wouldnt buy as a first choice more of a development prospect ala James

Johan07

Maybe not, but I can't see us paying more than that. I would pay 100m if he were 4 years younger.
I agree. He is too old for the sums that are being quoted. At least Maguire is young, English and will not lose that much value if he does not completely flop or seriously injure himself. Its too bad, Koulibaly would still be my first choice as it seems to be the clubs.

0le

We've looked shaky in defence for years. When we were able to obtain clean sheets over the last few years, it was usually because of De Gea or very defensive football and not necessarily to do with the quality of the individual players.

Johan07

I just keep trying to tell myself it’s BS.

If we pay more for Harry fecking Maguire than Pool did for VVD or whoever gets De Ligt I give up.
I think its important to understand that the transfer fee is not the only relevant factor. Far from it in fact. PSG is reported to have offered De Ligt 300k plus a week in wages. We would probably be able to put Maguire on half of that. That is probably more important than the transfer fee given that neither De Ligt or Maguire should lose that much transfer value if anything over the next couple of years.

Alabaster Codify7

exactly, Maguire, if you believe the press, is worth £80m to us, either pay it or sod off and stop briefing your pet journalist plants to try and unsettle him.

Whenever United or Liverpool are interested in the player the "Journalists" pushing to get the deal done are pathetic

see above the price we have apparently set is £80m you plumb
Such a plum of a man!

King Andow

I still don't understand why people are so keen on this guy, maybe desperation after seeing so much of Jones and Rojo? £80m+ for a slow Smalling with composure? Not good enough to be first choice with Lindelöf and too expensive to be a squad option. Another overhyped british player, stay clear please.

fps

If Harry Maguire was the centre back that came in, I'd be satisfied. He would steady the ship and provide leadership, I believe a partnership of him and Lindelof would be potentially a very good one. I'd consider the issue of the first-choice centre-back pairing sorted out, with possible room to improve in future but no immediate need to add anyone else.

Rossa

I think one of the reasons VVD has been so good for Liverpool is that with him in the side, and particularly Gomez alongside him, Liverpool can afford a high line because VVD has great recovery pace. With Maguire partnering Lindelöf, we can't afford a high line. Lindelöf has decent top speed, but a little slow on the turn, but Maguire is just downright slow. To me, it seems like Solskjær wants a high line as he wants the team to press high up the pitch, and then you can't afford a defence sitting too far back. For Mourinho, that would not have been such an issue as he likes to have his defences sat rather far back and then counter.

I think if we go for Maguire, Solskjær would have to revert to using Smalling alongside him to mask his lack of recovery speed. Then the question remains, is he that much of an upgrade on Lindelöf - I don't see it. As a pure defender, I don't see him as much better than Smalling either. From what I've seen, he seems to make more mistakes than Smalling does.

For 80m, I will be very pleasantly surprised if he is worth it.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think one of the reasons VVD has been so good for Liverpool is that with him in the side, and particularly Gomez alongside him, Liverpool can afford a high line because VVD has great recovery pace. With Maguire partnering Lindelöf, we can't afford a high line. Lindelöf has decent top speed, but a little slow on the turn, but Maguire is just downright slow. To me, it seems like Solskjær wants a high line as he wants the team to press high up the pitch, and then you can't afford a defence sitting too far back. For Mourinho, that would not have been such an issue as he likes to have his defences sat rather far back and then counter.

I think if we go for Maguire, Solskjær would have to revert to using Smalling alongside him to mask his lack of recovery speed. Then the question remains, is he that much of an upgrade on Lindelöf - I don't see it. As a pure defender, I don't see him as much better than Smalling either. From what I've seen, he seems to make more mistakes than Smalling does.

For 80m, I will be very pleasantly surprised if he is worth it.
Man City have player a very high line with Laporte and Kompany/Stones/Otamendi. All of them are very slow.

The Nani

I think its important to understand that the transfer fee is not the only relevant factor. Far from it in fact. PSG is reported to have offered De Ligt 300k plus a week in wages. We would probably be able to put Maguire on half of that. That is probably more important than the transfer fee given that neither De Ligt or Maguire should lose that much transfer value if anything over the next couple of years.
The problem is that it’s Harry Maguire. Who in the world would pay upward of £80m for him aside from us ?

VVD... De Ligt... Maguire.

The only reason we’re even looking at him is because he’s British. Certainly not about his talent level. And unlike City we’re not up against it with the homegrown rule so what’s the point. If he were a continental and played in Serie A we wouldn’t even know who he was.

Farcical.

Johan07

Man City have player a very high line with Laporte and Kompany/Stones/Otamendi. All of them are very slow.
I was just going to write that. It doesnt matter that much if you dont give the ball away. Barcelona had some OK seasons with Pique and Mascherano at the back as well. Still playing a high line and did just fine.

Johan07

The problem is that it’s Harry Maguire. Who in the world would pay upward of £80m for him aside from us ?

VVD... De Ligt... Maguire.

The only reason we’re even looking at him is because he’s British. Certainly not about his talent level. And unlike City we’re not up against it with the homegrown rule so what’s the point. If he were a continental and played in Serie A we wouldn’t even know who he was.

Farcical.
Everton, West Ham, Newcastle (with new owners). For example. Maybe not 80m but plenty enough that it would not make us take a major loss on him. There will always be a market for a top English young defender. Not just when we are buying him. EDIT Especially if he is on "normal" wages.

Rossa

Laporte isn't slow, and they have Fernandinho that plays like a man possessed. On top of that, they are king at making tactical fouls to make up for their high line. Furthermore, Ederson is brilliant at sweeping at the back - DDG, well it's probably his biggest flaw.

If, however, refs start to book them for making tactical fouls (like Solskjær talked about), then they will have problems to worry about!

Status
Not open for further replies.