Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Getting sick and tired of this Maguire bollocks now. I just wish we'd go and throw a sizeable bid towards RB Leipzig player Ibrahima Konate..

Redcy

What cp
Getting sick and tired of this Maguire bollocks now. I just wish we'd go and throw a sizeable bid towards RB Leipzig player Ibrahima Konate..
Yeah what Could go wrong with signing a 20 year Old from a German side for 50m

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What cp

Yeah what Could go wrong with signing a 20 year Old from a German side for 50m
Unless you've got a crystal ball and can see into the future, I believe Konate at 20 represents better value in the short term and long term in comparison to Maguire. Our aim with either purchase would be top 4. With Konate we'd save a good chunk of money and still realistically finish in the top 4.

lewwoo

Because signing young unproven central defenders has worked out well for us so far.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is it weird that I've never heard of this guy?
I watched quite a lot of RB Leipzig to see what all the fuss was about one of their young players Dayot Upacameno. But what I realised after watching them for a period of time was that Ibrahima Konate is infact the bigger talent. And he's still only 20 with a very high ceiling.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Because signing young unproven central defenders has worked out well for us so far.
Bailly and Lindelof were never considered big talents in the same bracket as many others. So using them as a reference point to turn away from Konate who has a significantly higher ceiling is a moot point.

BlabyFox

Supports
Leicester
Medical on Tuesday.
Harry Maguire - 7 Days

Made up story on a Sunday
Might be signing story on Monday
Another feckin medical on Tuesday
We were making more BS up on Wednesday
And on Thursday and Friday and Saturday
And here we go again on fkn Sunday

lewwoo

Bailly and Lindelof were never considered big talents in the same bracket as many others. So using them as a reference point to turn away from Konate who has a significantly higher ceiling is a moot point.
On what are you basing him having a significantly higher ceiling though? People were saying similar things about Bailly when we signed him. I would much prefer a proven, experienced player right now at the back. We are crying out for a experienced head not another kid with potential.

El-Manos

Retarded how long this is taking. In the meantime we have all these new Leicester fans on here annoying the shite out of us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
On what are you basing him having a significantly higher ceiling though? People were saying similar things about Bailly when we signed him. I would much prefer a proven, experienced player right now at the back. We are crying out for a experienced head not another kid with potential.
Bailly was raw even when we signed him at 22 from Villarreal and even the Villareal coach at the time alluded to that.

I watched a considerable amount of RB Leipzig games to watch Upacameno and Konate caught my eye. Konate has recovery pace in abundance, strong in the air and fits the profile of the big imposing CB that I believe the club are looking for. He's been tipped by quite a few German Journos to be amongst the best CBs in the coming years.

He doesn't have the experience of Maguire for sure but he is blessed with attributes that Maguire will never have. I don't particularly have a issue with us signing Maguire, but the the reported fee Leicester are asking for him could be better spent elsewhere IMO. I think we'll achieve top 4 with either Maguire or Konate and don't see why we should spend in excess of the world record fee for a CB to achieve the same goal we could with the very talented Ibrahima Konate.

Gerald G

He plays a lot of passes with his left, very comfortable with 2 feet. I got confused myself but yes plays on the left side and mainly right footed.

He was my first choice this year I think he’d suit our pressing game perfectly.
Probably the only sensible response to my post. Cheers and I agree

Redcy

Unless you've got a crystal ball and can see into the future, I believe Konate at 20 represents better value in the short term and long term in comparison to Maguire. Our aim with either purchase would be top 4. With Konate we'd save a good chunk of money and still realistically finish in the top 4.
No I don’t but apparently you have, you are the one who is seeing through a crystal ball into the near and long terms and him being better value. With no evidence other than belief and a few journalists say so.

In the short term he would likely be a liability, defensive players are easily exposed in the pl, more so than other leagues. We have seen the same in all defensive players who come from abroad.

Would I be happy say with a Toby and Konate deal. Yes. I disagree we already have 4th sewn up. Another gamble on just a first team player who is 20 seems like a bad idea.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No I don’t but apparently you have, you are the one who is seeing through a crystal ball into the near and long terms and him being better value. With no evidence other than belief and a few journalists say so.

In the short term he would likely be a liability, defensive players are easily exposed in the pl, more so than other leagues. We have seen the same in all defensive players who come from abroad.

Would I be happy say with a Toby and Konate deal. Yes. I disagree we already have 4th sewn up. Another gamble on just a first team player who is 20 seems like a bad idea.
You're the one that used his age to make your point..

I look at attributes of both Maguire and Konate and have given you a opinion. Konate is just as physically imposing as Maguire and is alot quicker than the Leicester CB. Would cost considerably less than Maguire and had a better season in comparison.

Andersons Dietician

I look at attributes of both Maguire and Konate and have given you a opinion. Konate is just as physically imposing as Maguire and is alot quicker than the Leicester CB. Would cost considerably less than Maguire and had a better season in comparison.
How does Konaté do playing off the left side? Or has he ever done it? Only ever seen him play on the right.

Because personally I would think this is one of the reasons Maguire has been targeted because only Rojo really plays on the left. Lindelof if he is first choice with Maguire I would imagine will go to the right.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Harry Maguire - 7 Days

For some reason i thought you'd be way too young to know that song.
Maybe cos blaby is near to baby?

Maybe its a misspell of blabby :lol:

wolvored

Harry Maguire - 7 Days

:lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I watched quite a lot of RB Leipzig to see what all the fuss was about one of their young players Dayot Upacameno. But what I realised after watching them for a period of time was that Ibrahima Konate is infact the bigger talent. And he's still only 20 with a very high ceiling.
He's another unknown quantity though. After Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Blind, Bailly and Lindelof, none of which have managed to look like genuine United-standard central defenders (Lindelof may be the exception in time), I think we need to recruit an established CB of proven quality. The finished article if you like.

Harry Maguire is just that, in my opinion.

Walters_19_MuFc

How does Konaté do playing off the left side? Or has he ever done it? Only ever seen him play on the right.

Because personally I would think this is one of the reasons Maguire has been targeted because only Rojo really plays on the left. Lindelof if he is first choice with Maguire I would imagine will go to the right.
Jones always plays on the left too. Did so when partnered with Lindelof.

If Maguire were to come, he'd play on the left with Lindelof/Smalling on the right. That's my guess anyway.

Greck

It says he's hesitant to pay over the odds because of our recent failed signings. I get that it was idiotic for Jose to act like he had a God given right to 200m after the way he blew 300m but I think as a matter of policy (and commonsense) every new manager should be given the benefit of the doubt until they blow it or prove useless with money. Don't let any manager suffer for the sins of his predecessors. And this is coming from someone who doesn't think Maguire is worth the price Leicester is quoting.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's another unknown quantity though. After Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Blind, Bailly and Lindelof, none of which have managed to look like genuine United-standard central defenders (Lindelof may be the exception in time), I think we need to recruit an established CB of proven quality. The finished article if you like.

Harry Maguire is just that, in my opinion.
He's regarded as one of the best CBs in a major European League at 20. He marshalled a defence that conceded the least amount of goals in said league and also completely nullified Lewandowski when RB Leipzig played Bayern which ended goalless.

He plays in a team that likes to press high and is accustomed to playing in a high line. Defends space behind him expertly due to him being lightening quick. He's already showing a very high level now in one of the best leagues in Europe.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I've only ever seen him play on the right I think.

crackers0seven

226 pages for harry maguire and it's still not done and bearly any concrete news. If the window went to 31st of Aug, this thread could have been the record ....for Harry Maguire:lol:

He'sRaldo

It says he's hesitant to pay over the odds because of our recent failed signings. I get that it was idiotic for Jose to act like he had a God given right to 200m after the way he blew 300m but I think as a matter of policy (and commonsense) every new manager should be given the benefit of the doubt until they blow it or prove useless with money. Don't let any manager suffer for the sins of his predecessors. And this is coming from someone who doesn't think Maguire is worth the price Leicester is quoting.
I think it's better the opposite way. Let a manager prove himself with (relatively) little, then you back him with more steadily until you have 100% faith in him in the transfer market. Then he can have any funds he wants.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I think it's better the opposite way. Let a manager prove himself with (relatively) little, then you back him with more steadily until you have 100% faith in him in the transfer market. Then he can have any funds he wants.
Even better. Give one of our better midfielder's away for free so the new manager starts with a handicap.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Harry Maguire - 7 Days

Bollocks now I have that song in my head

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Let's face the facts, it is obvious from the last few seasons that United is not going to move forward and improve as a team as the club is not prepared to use the money generated by the club. Also the people in charge of everything :eek: have one aim, and that is to make money.

Redcy

20m is barely less tbh, then we are hoping he settles in, plus he would have to go straight in to the team, or else why buy him?

Lets be honest though if we don't get Maguire we are not buying anyone, so hoping that woodward will move onto another player is wishful.

The question really is:

1) Do we stump up 80m for Maguire
2) Hope that Smalling/Jones/Lindelof are good enough (Axel is not getting much game time) and buy a CB next year, or hope Axel shows enough to step up.

I somehow doubt we are buying anyone else, lets assume not as there is no sign of it. So we are not spending the Maguire money elsewhere, for example on CM or RW. That is all we know, and our best guess has to be that is the case.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If he's hesitant, as he should be imho, then tell the manager to go for another target. There must be others identified by the scouts.
Maguire is way overpriced and has faults, we shouldn't pay that much for him. If he looked like the complete real deal, then yes spend the money, but this isn't the case here. Manager and whomever else need to move on to someone else.

Reminds me of the Lukaku transfer. His defiencies were pretty obvious, but we went ahead and overpaid because the manager had tunnel vision there.
Support the manager, but there needs to be some sort of compromise somewhere. In this case, Maguire isn't worth the money, move on.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah guys, stop fishing! How dare you do something like this?
Take it you agree with the sentiment then, that Leicester (Or any other mid, but pushing club) would benefit from Jones then?

BlabyFox

Supports
Leicester
For some reason i thought you'd be way too young to know that song.
Maybe cos blaby is near to baby?

Maybe its a misspell of blabby :lol:
Sadly mid 50s, tried to put a little humour or blab on this debacle :lol:

redshaw

This whole thing reminds me of the Leighton Baines saga although he was a scouser so maybe less open to coming and stay at Everton. Both players not that arsed and happy to stay and would take a crazy bid.

Snafu17

Take it you agree with the sentiment then, that Leicester (Or any other mid, but pushing club) would benefit from Jones then?
They're clearly taking the piss, noone thinks Leicester would take Jones, noone on this forum has a hand in United's transfer dealings so there's noone who can "fish" for feck sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.