Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If they haven't even named their price and keep moving the goal posts at every bid, I don't think Leicester are negotiating in good faith.
I have heard that the owner verbally promised Maguire last summer that he would be allowed to leave if United came calling again this summer...
If there's any truth to that....:rolleyes:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think you are both arguing it well.

Did someone say a couple of pages back we might struggle for goals, or was wondering who might do the scoring.

If that turns out right, then I think we would be saying this has been underwhelming. Hopefully a stronger backline frees things up going the other way.

Also atm - and I do think this is quite worrying - we need Pogba & Sanchez to be doing more than they have. Unless you expect breakthrough/monster seasons from Martial and/or Rashford.
Pogba scored 17 and assisted loads didn't he? Bit harsh throwing him in with sanchez who probably didn't even start 17 games. Or contribute more than one goal?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Patience guys.

Brighton have just signed a defender for 25m. Dunk replacement.

Leicester will sign Dunk for 45m.

Maguire will join us for 80m.

It's obviously happening slower than we like, but I'm confident it'll get done before the window closes.

Yes it would have been nice to have him ready for the season straight away, but a few weeks delay isn't going to hurt.

Adam-Utd

Pogba scored 17 and assisted loads didn't he? Bit harsh throwing him in with sanchez who probably didn't even start 17 games. Or contribute more than one goal?
:lol: Pogba has to have Messi/Ronaldo figures before they deem him to be pulling his weight

If everybody else matched his figures maybe we wouldn't be struggling around 4th-6th.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
:lol: Pogba has to have Messi/Ronaldo figures before they deem him to be pulling his weight

If everybody else matched his figures maybe we wouldn't be struggling around 4th-6th.
Yep expectations are a horrible thing at times.
Other players get praise for a tackle and a sidewards pass.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Patience guys.

Brighton have just signed a defender for 25m. Dunk replacement.

Leicester will sign Dunk for 45m.

Maguire will join us for 80m.

It's obviously happening slower than we like, but I'm confident it'll get done before the window closes.

Yes it would have been nice to have him ready for the season straight away, but a few weeks delay isn't going to hurt.
Recent reports have said Leicester/Rodgers would prefer Tarkowski at Burnley so I'm not sure if all the pieces will fall into place like we thought they would after all

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Recent reports have said Leicester/Rodgers would prefer Tarkowski at Burnley so I'm not sure if all the pieces will fall into place like we thought they would after all
I think Tarkowski is rumoured to have 40-50m buy out agreement, anyway. Not sure it would.

Adam-Utd

Probably just another negotiaton tactic like us with Koulibaly. I doubt Brighton would be spending that much on a CB unless he was first choice.

They have Duffy at CB also who did fairly well last year.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maguire and longstaff will certainly stop us from getting exposed .
If we get Dybala, Longstaff & Maguire as well then it would be a satisfactory transfer market. I still think that our RW won't be sorted with James and that we should replace Herrera with someone with more experience than just 9 EPL matches under his belt. Fingers crossed they would be good enough.

Devil77

Imagine the scenario, Pogba gets a late move to Real Madrid, to play for his hero, Zidane, but they have a disasterous start to the season, Zidane gets the sack and Real appoint Mourinho.
Meanwhile Bale rides out the storm and stays in Madrid...:rolleyes:
Not that unlikely. :smirk:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I have heard that the owner verbally promised Maguire last summer that he would be allowed to leave if United came calling again this summer...
If there's any truth to that....:rolleyes:
Yeah the owner has passed away so the people there now might not be holding his word.

prateik

He scored 8 goals in 6 matches last season which wasnt from the spot. He played 47 matches.

1x Fulham
2x Bournemouth
2x Huddersfield
1x Everton
1x Young Boys
1x Chelsea in the FA cup

And his penalty record isnt great either. Took 11. Missed 3. Scored 8.

Miles better than Sanchez.. but I have heard people throw the number of goals he scored to suggest he was good last season.. He wasnt. Stat padding at its finest.

Anyway.. back to Maguire talk.

DoomSlayer

I seriously want us to move on from this transfer now. It's a PR nightmare and at such an insane price, the pressure to deliver will be too big, in my opinion.

The incompetent board strikes again for not having any realistic plans about the whole situation.

Dolf

85 + 10 is nuts!

I can understand it though. We desperately need a CB and there really isn’t anyone else we could sign who is as good or better than Maguire.

Gopher Brown

I'm amazed if Woody is considering paying anything like this. He refused to pay £60m for him last summer, and while he may have improved slightly this season, Woody supposedly didn't think he was considerably better than the players we already had.

But, now we've put all our eggs in Maguire's basket, we have to pay it. Otherwise, we are going to start the season in 9 days with no new centre back. The result of a stupid transfer strategy means we have to pay whatever Leicester want now.

AJ10

Surely Branda must be interested in some of our defenders.....they have "character" and one can be even challenge him in Meme contest.

DoomSlayer

I'm amazed if Woody is considering paying anything like this. He refused to pay £60m for him last summer, and while he may have improved slightly this season, Woody supposedly didn't think he was considerably better than the players we already had.

But, now we've put all our eggs in Maguire's basket, we have to pay it. Otherwise, we are going to start the season in 9 days with no new centre back. The result of a stupid transfer strategy means we have to pay whatever Leicester want now.
What if Leicetser keep on increasing the price because the transfer window is opened for only 1 week more? They might reach a fee of £100 million, would you pay that regardless of what might happen afterwards?

NoLogo

Of course Leicster is milking this. They are aware of our desperation and now are trying to get as much out of this deal as possible. If I were Leicster I would do the same, they have nothing to lose here. If they get the money they want they have sold a player way over value and if he stays they keep a good defender in the squad.

Gopher Brown

What if Leicetser keep on increasing the price because the transfer window is opened for only 1 week more? They might reach a fee of £100 million, would you pay that regardless of what might happen afterwards?
Signing a quality centre back is probably the difference between finishing 5th and 4th. I think it's a terrible situation to not have an alternative lined up, but if we're willing to pay £80m and Leicester want £90m then can we really take the risk over £10m?

It's a horrible precedent, but we're desperate now.

DoomSlayer

Signing a quality centre back is probably the difference between finishing 5th and 4th. I think it's a terrible situation to not have an alternative lined up, but if we're willing to pay £80m and Leicester want £90m then can we really take the risk over £10m?

It's a horrible precedent, but we're desperate now.
Imagine the outrage if Maguire doesn't settle in quick enough. Every other day we will get media reports of how bad our club is, how stupid we all are for wanting the player at these insane prices and so on.

The pressure would be insane, I don't think a simple top 4 finish would be enough to justify such a price tag.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It gets to a point were how far do we have to go?
Is he the best defender...? No
Would we be paying a current world record fee...? Yes

It sounds like we've made a more than acceptable bid for him.
At this point you walk away, you've left Maguire unhappy, he knows we've done our best and it's his club being stubborn.
Like the Perisic deal, we'll remember.

Gopher Brown

Imagine the outrage if Maguire doesn't settle in quick enough. Every other day we will get media reports of how bad our club is, how stupid we all are for wanting the player at these insane prices and so on.

The pressure would be insane, I don't think a simple top 4 finish would be enough to justify such a price tag.
Meh? So what?

The media's opinion of Man Utd is never gonna be as bad as the opinion of most Man Utd fans' opinion of the club at the moment anyway. We know we're mismanaged from the top, we know we pay insane prices for players. Maguire is more likely to settle quickly than a signing from a different league (although I'm sure the same point was made about Sanchez).

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

This clearly is a case of Leicester trying to get the absolute maximum and try to test how far we are willing to go with our offer.
Just based on footballing and other reasons (marketing etc) we already offered above what the player is worth.

DoomSlayer

Meh? So what?

The media's opinion of Man Utd is never gonna be as bad as the opinion of most Man Utd fans' opinion of the club at the moment anyway. We know we're mismanaged from the top, we know we pay insane prices for players. Maguire is more likely to settle quickly than a signing from a different league (although I'm sure the same point was made about Sanchez).
But it creates a bad environment around the club, it puts immense amount of pressure on both the squad and the coaching staff and Ole has enough of that on him already.

We've seen how gullible a big portion of our fanbase is. Considering the toxicity it has reached, I have no doubt that things will turn ugly very soon if we get Maguire for the quoted fees and he doesn't have an almost immediate Van Dijk effect on our team.

romufc

It gets to a point were how far do we have to go?
Is he the best defender...? No
Would we be paying a current world record fee...? Yes

It sounds like we've made a more than acceptable bid for him.
At this point you walk away, you've left Maguire unhappy, he knows we've done our best and it's his club being stubborn.
Like the Perisic deal, we'll remember.
We should have moved on over 2 weeks ago and gone for someone else.

Maguire might not get another move if this doesn't happen. He has to decide and press the issue with Leicester cause we look prepared to £70m which is more than enough.

Next time Leicester come anywhere near our player.. we know what needs to be done.

Ala Inter.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If they want 90m for Maguire and wont budge then he is effectively priced out of a move for pretty much every single club. Actually, there is no other club that would buy him if we weren't in for him. If this has been clear then we are dumb for putting all our eggs in one basket and not have a couple of good alternatives locked up. I mean, Maguire didn't even have a great season or anything and his price has sky-rocketed. Pretty nuts to pay more than 75m for a player like him, he is not on the level of Van Djik.

Cypriot

Skriniar, Koulibaly, Varane - all arguably better than Maguire and would be obtainable for this obscene amount of money. Leicester are deluded and we have to move on.

redIndianDevil

Move on.

Van Dijk signing helped out Liverpool immensely because their attack and midfield was already fixed.

We can fix the midfield and attack this season and sign a better CB next season, we will be fine with Smalling, Lindelof, Jones, Tuanzebe, Rojo and Bailly for this season.

matsdf

Skriniar, Koulibaly, Varane - all arguably better than Maguire and would be obtainable for this obscene amount of money. Leicester are deluded and we have to move on.
No, none of them would be available for £80m, most of the news surrounding Koulibaly said Napoli claimed around £130m. And even if Skriniar or Varane would be available for the amount we're going to pay for Maguire, neither of them seem to want to leave their club at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.